Wayne Rooney | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Cinnamon

frustrating game for him even though he did scored just before being subbed. his passing all went astray. even the crowd were giving him sticks for it.
:lol:

Sorry, I'm just laughing at the thought of the crowd handing him sticks with a look of disgust on their faces.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Why? I don't think we should ignore everything else about his performance just because he passed the 30 goal mark. It seems like you're saying that his performance shouldn't be criticized because he scored today and we are fortunate to have him.
Well yeah that is what I am saying. Rooney as a striker is unfortunate that he offers far more than just goals. Many strikers are judged purely on just that

Ash_G

It is strange with Rooney when he gets like this. I can't think of any other top player who's game can drop so dramatically. For most players a bad day is poor shots, or not being able to make that last telling pass. For Rooney it's touches and passes you would expect to be the basics for a player of his quality that he messes up. Still as I said he doesn't react to bad games as much and he's added goals. As long as he can do that then it's not really an issue.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Well yeah that is what I am saying. Rooney as a striker is unfortunate that he offers far more than just goals. Many strikers are judged purely on just that
I don't understand your point. He had a poor game today but still came out with two goals. Why can't some of the poor aspects of his game be discussed? It's not a personal insult to the player or his contribution overall. It's not like that's the only thing being talked about either, many positives have been mentioned.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
:lol:

Sorry, I'm just laughing at the thought of the crowd handing him sticks with a look of disgust on their faces.
Fans: "Rooney, take a stick and get out of here!"

Rooney: [Head cast down] "Sorry guys."

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why? I don't think we should ignore everything else about his performance just because he passed the 30 goal mark. It seems like you're saying that his performance shouldn't be criticized because he scored today and we are fortunate to have him. It's not a bad thing, it's just talking about his actual game.
A lot of his responsibility on the pitch is to score goals. He scored them today as he has done pretty consistently this last 10-15 games.

If he contributes on top of that, whilst not a bonus (as he has far more to offer all over the pitch than just a pure goalscorer than RvN or Linekar), than we have gotten real proper value from him. He didn't have a great all round game and yet his goals were probably the deciding factor to the end result.

Im not patronizing you Hectic, but we sometimes forget that in football its goals that win you games, points and titles. And goals are hard to score. If your side scores 4 in one match, you can consider yourself you have battered your opponent.

Rooney can do so many things that we get frustrated that he can't deliver on all 6 fronts in a single game. We will have to accept that he is not in the same bracket as Messi or Ronaldo, but he's now far off. And he has been pivotal in our league campaign this year.

I just think we need to be realistic in our expectations.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Said far more succinctly than I could in my post above. Perfect summation.

Dion

Thought everything he did was either excellent or totally shit, probably in 30/70 ratio.

ricky-romeo

poor overall performance but got 2 goals, so cannot complain much..

it is good that he is still scoring goals when he is not playing so well. signs that he is at the peak of his powers now.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
A lot of his responsibility on the pitch is to score goals. He scored them today as he has done pretty consistently this last 10-15 games.

If he contributes on top of that, whilst not a bonus (as he has far more to offer all over the pitch than just a pure goalscorer than RvN or Linekar), than we have gotten real proper value from him. He didn't have a great all round game and yet his goals were probably the deciding factor to the end result.

Im not patronizing you Hectic, but we sometimes forget that in football its goals that win you games, points and titles. And goals are hard to score. If your side scores 4 in one match, you can consider yourself you have battered your opponent.

Rooney can do so many things that we get frustrated that he can't deliver on all 6 fronts in a single game. We will have to accept that he is not in the same bracket as Messi or Ronaldo, but he's now far off. And he has been pivotal in our league campaign this year.

I just think we need to be realistic in our expectations.
I don't understand the issue here, his passing was awful, his performance overall quite poor. His contribution was high and his goals helped us win, but it seems odd that we can't talk about some of it. The majority of comments have only been about how is passing was so off, not about any real wider ranging issue, or comparing him to that bracket of player.

I would sort of understand your post if Rooney had had a normal game, and the criticism was unfounded, but it wasn't, it was a poor one by his high standards. Of course he can't perform on all levels, but when his passing, an aspect so important in his game is that off form, it will obviously be mentioned. As it is it isn't that important, which is what most have said, considering he still chipped in with two very valuable goals.

I'm not sure being realistic in our expectations has anything to do with the majority of comments posted here since the game finished. In fact it definitely doesn't.

Ole'sbodyguard

Fairly? C'mon what more do you want from your forward? It's a fantastic return. This thread should have been bumped purely to praise him passing the 30 goal mark.

We are so fortunate to have such a player
I agree we are fortunate to have such a player. I thought that was obvious with the comment on 30 plus goals for a player who is not simply a goalgetter.

I was going to add that even when he was off days he has added Ronaldo type productivity to his game as well but he was so off with his passing today I did not think it was the right game to make the comment.

Perhaps 'fairly happy' was the wrong way to sum up my opinion on his season as I reckon he has been the difference between United and City personally.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
30 goals is a great return from any striker. All the more impressive from someone that plays so deep and works so hard. By far our most important and influential attacking player.

Man oh man he struggled today though. He's been below par for a while. Crap timing for a slump an' all. Please let him get his shit together before the derby game.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Best & Viollet 179 goals, Rooney 178.

He'll become our fourth highest all-time scorer before the season ends.

wr8_utd

:'(
We used to complain when he had poor games and didn't have end product. Now that he's improved that aspect of his game, we're still complaining? Sure he was pretty poor today but as long as he's scoring, who cares? We've been extremely reliant on him these past few months.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't understand the issue here, his passing was awful, his performance overall quite poor. His contribution was high and his goals helped us win, but it seems odd that we can't talk about some of it. The majority of comments have only been about how is passing was so off, not about any real wider ranging issue, or comparing him to that bracket of player.

I would sort of understand your post if Rooney had had a normal game, and the criticism was unfounded, but it wasn't, it was a poor one by his high standards. Of course he can't perform on all levels, but when his passing, an aspect so important in his game is that off form, it will obviously be mentioned. As it is it isn't that important, which is what most have said, considering he still chipped in with two very valuable goals.

I'm not sure being realistic in our expectations has anything to do with the majority of comments posted here since the game finished. In fact it definitely doesn't.
agree with you on all of that esp the bold part. No issues.

Cina

His contributions mean that your assessment cannot be right. By definition, he won us the game (by scoring 2 of the first 3 goals).

So he had an enormous impact on the game. ENORMOUS. ENORMOUS. ENORMOUS

Not bad when your own fans are saying your performance 'just wasn't good'.
What the feck are you on about? I'm clearly on about his passing today, I wasn't talking about his overall performance at all, I even said above that he still contributed with the 2 goals. Can you read?

His passing, PASSING, PASSING was rubbish. That's all I argued.

Scoring 2 goals doesn't mean you had a good 90 minutes. One of them was a penalty and the other was a deflection.

Amir

For years I said he shouldn't be playing upfront, but behind the main striker, because he's got so much to offer other than goalscoring. This season he's actually been doing well in terms of scoring despite playing behind the striker - and not doing all that well in that role, actuallly. In terms of overall performances, it's not been vintage Rooney. Happy he's scoring, would like to see him doing better though, it's a waste when he's not.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
For years I said he shouldn't be playing upfront, but behind the main striker, because he's got so much to offer other than goalscoring. This season he's actually been doing well in terms of scoring despite playing behind the striker - and not doing all that well in that role, actuallly. In terms of overall performances, it's not been vintage Rooney. Happy he's scoring, would like to see him doing better though, it's a waste when he's not.
In the main I think that's right. There have been moments when Rooney has seemed a step ahead of the rest of the Premier League but over the last month or so they have seemed so long ago. His overall game just isn't where we'd expect it to be and yet he remains essential to our title efforts. Were Rooney at the level he was at Wastelands in the F.A. Cup back in January I'd say we'd have won the title already.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What the feck are you on about? I'm clearly on about his passing today, I wasn't talking about his overall performance at all, I even said above that he still contributed with the 2 goals. Can you read?

His passing, PASSING, PASSING was rubbish. That's all I argued.

Scoring 2 goals doesn't mean you had a good 90 minutes. One of them was a penalty and the other was a deflection.

Of course I agree that when on full fire, his influences are all consuming and he has an influence on every single passage of play. Yes its not been there past few games, including today, his passing being off radar.

Thankfully his goal scoring, GOAL SCORING, GOAL SCORING, GOAL SCORING abilities were still there! ;)

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Bale, Bale, BALE, BALE, BALE, BALE

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Poor game by Rooney's own high standards today but scored 2 and was still one of our best players.

Baxter

I thought he was dire today. His first touch was off, his passing was off and for most of the game his shooting was off. He was the cause of a lot of counters falling apart and as Fergie has said he just gets too casual. However the 2 goals from him we're very important and he's just 3 of RVP who has been getting tonnes of praise. He has had a great season and hopefully he can fire in a few more before the end of the season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Poor game by Rooney's own high standards today but scored 2 and was still one of our best players.
Not even close. Rafael, Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Evra, Evans, Rio, probably all of them had better game than Rooney.(except for goals of course.

Liam147

On Probation
The way I saw it, I found some of the criticism a little harsh. Yes he had a poor game in terms of productivity (exc goals, obviously). When he had the ball, he often gave it away, but it wasn't all the simple passes. His link up play at times was very nice. But the big thing I really noticed was how often he got the ball. He was always there in that hole ready to receive the ball. Yes the attacks broke down with him a lot, but if he doesn't get into those positions then the attacks can easily break down with someone else. Not to forget that he still scored two goals for us.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's been an odd season.

We're very possibly going to win another Premier League title, despite a lot of people stating this was a poor Manchester United side and that we haven't played blisteringly well most of the season (arguably..)

The same will probably be the situation for Rooney. At times this season, his touch has been abysmal. I can't think of many games off the top of my head and due to work I missed a lot of games this season. However, I do just recall myself shouting at the tv quite often at Rooney losing the ball. I may be wrong on his performance level for most of the season, but I think in the same regard that United haven't been great in a lot of games but still won, the same could be said for Rooney. Not being great in matches, but still scoring.

Despite this arguably being one of Rooney's poorer seasons for overall play, he's got a great chance of getting his best ever season tally for us. Which could turn out to be even more impressive since we'd normally play a fair few more games than we have this time.

Either way, top quality and I'm glad to see him top 30 goals again. Let's see if he can get to 35 in the remaining games.

Bear Attack

Well, the truth is that we haven't been a juggernaut this season but we've ground out results.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It's been an odd season.

We're very possibly going to win another Premier League title, despite a lot of people stating this was a poor Manchester United side and that we haven't played blisteringly well most of the season (arguably..)
I think the last team that should be blamed for that is United. We're still top of the pile. Every other team in the division would kill to be as underwhelming as we are.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think the last team that should be blamed for that is United. We're still top of the pile. Every other team in the division would kill to be as underwhelming as we are.
I agree completely. I was only making a comparison.

'Poor' United, still win. 'Poor' Rooney, still scores.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Best & Viollet 179 goals, Rooney 178.

He'll become our fourth highest all-time scorer before the season ends.
No small achievement, that.

Reminds me a bit of what Schmeichel said about Scholes, that his bottom level is very high, when he's playing badly most people won't notice because he'll still contribute, like today.

Zen86

Jesus christ, he scored a penalty and a deflection.

Let not kid ouurselves here, he had a shocking game.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Jesus christ, he scored a penalty and a deflection.

Let not kid ouurselves here, he had a shocking game.
I don't think too many people are denying that, but at the end of the day 2 scored goals are 2 scored goals.

Laphroaig

Status
Not open for further replies.