Wayne Rooney | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I think we may have been spoilt by the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and the whole Barcelona ensemble, who deliver week in week out, for years. Are there any other "world class" players who are as inconsistent as Rooney, or is that a problem that is limited to him?

I mean, I have never seen a top player who's first touch goes to shit with bad form. Maybe O'Shea when he was with us...
Drogba is and has always been pretty inconsistent. Sometimes his finishing can be downright bad.

And look at Torres.

Rooney's inconsistency is overhyped just like everything else about him.

Zen

"many out of position"

He's played 2 and a half in CM, not exactly many. He's still incorrectly judged as a out and out striker though and with Ronaldo, Messi and even Ibra, RVP and Gomez this year, that's expected to be a goal a game now plus more in terms of assists....but you want him to do that, you take out Hernandez and Welbeck and who then goes where Rooney goes?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think we may have been spoilt by the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and the whole Barcelona ensemble, who deliver week in week out, for years. Are there any other "world class" players who are as inconsistent as Rooney, or is that a problem that is limited to him?

I mean, I have never seen a top player who's first touch goes to shit with bad form. Maybe O'Shea when he was with us...
There are plenty of top players out there who drift in and out of form like Rooney does. Drogba's past his peak now, but even back when he was at his best, he went nearly two seasons between 2007-2009 and only showed his best on a handful of occasions.

Neutral

BTV
Rooney is now three ahead of Hughes, and only two behind Joe Spence in the all time list.

1. Charlton - 249(758)
2. Law - 237(404)
3. Rowley - 211(424)
4. Violett - 179(293)
5. Best - 179(470)
6. Spence - 168(510)
7. Rooney - 166(349)
8. Hughes - 163(467)
9. Giggs - 162(898)
10. Scholes - 151(682)

Only Law, Rowley and Violett with better strike rates. He is going to get mighty close to Best and Violett by the time the end of the season rolls around.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Rooney is now three ahead of Hughes, and only two behind Joe Spence in the all time list.

1. Charlton - 249(758)
2. Law - 237(404)
3. Rowley - 211(424)
4. Violett - 179(293)
5. Best - 179(470)
6. Spence - 168(510)
7. Rooney - 166(349)
8. Hughes - 163(467)
9. Giggs - 162(898)
10. Scholes - 151(682)

Only Law, Rowley and Violett with better strike rates. He is going to get mighty close to Best and Violett by the time the end of the season rolls around.
At the end of his time with us I dont see him beating Law or Charlton to be honest, he is far too inconsistent and I dont see him finishing about Law, it is possible though but with Rooney who knows

towcester_red

At the end of his time with us I dont see him beating Law or Charlton to be honest, he is far too inconsistent and I dont see him finishing about Law, it is possible though but with Rooney who knows
Strange that. If he did stay with us for the rest of his career, their is no doubt he would surpass both thier records. By a distance too.

If he stays is the question though

Neutral

BTV
If he stays at United, he is breaking the record without a shadow of a doubt.

He is only 83 goals away from Sir Bobby...prior to this season, he has averaged 20/21 goals a season. So 4 years and the record will be his - he already has 19 goals this season, so he has time to build up a bit of a cushion for next season.

*He only turned 26, three and a half months ago.

Polaroid

1. Charlton - 249(758)
2. Law - 237(404)
3. Rowley - 211(424)
4. Violett - 179(293)
5. Best - 179(470)
6. Spence - 168(510)
7. Rooney - 166(349)
8. Hughes - 163(467)
9. Giggs - 162(898)
10. Scholes - 151(682)

Rowley (211 in 424), Ruud (150 in 219) and David Herd (145 in 265) also had better strike rates than Rooney (166 in 349).

Sylar

If he stays with us and doesnt break the record, then it will be due to something very very wrong (or long term injury)

Hes standing up when it counts even if he doesnt have the best of games ala Ronaldo did for us.

Sylar

Rowley (211 in 424), Ruud (150 in 219) and David Herd (145 in 265) also had better strike rates than Rooney (166 in 349).
Ruud also wasnt played centre midfield, left of midfield or behind the striker (though I prefer Rooney behind the striker as he gets more space to work)

Neutral

BTV
I mentioned Rowley in my post.

Left out Rudd & Herd, because they don;t feature in the top 10(Rudd was in it, until Scholesy scored the other week).

Polaroid

Ruud also wasnt played centre midfield, left of midfield or behind the striker (though I prefer Rooney behind the striker as he gets more space to work)
I was trying to make a factual correction, was not making any point about their striking prowess :angel:
Concur that Rooney would be best in a deeper-lying striking role.

I mentioned Rowley in my post.

Left out Rudd & Herd, because they don;t feature in the top 10(Rudd was in it, until Scholesy scored the other week).
I missed Rowley, sorry.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So if/when he does reach number one, does that mean we need to put a statue of him up?

Will keep the crows away I guess

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I much prefer Rooney in this deeper role he's been playing for the majority of the season; he sees much more of the ball and drives us forward. Plus we have so many good strikers it makes sense to accomodate at least one of Hernandez/Berba/Welbeck into our formation.

Adebesi

1. Charlton - 249(758)
2. Law - 237(404)
3. Rowley - 211(424)
4. Violett - 179(293)
5. Best - 179(470)
6. Spence - 168(510)
7. Rooney - 166(349)
8. Hughes - 163(467)
9. Giggs - 162(898)
10. Scholes - 151(682)
I wonder if, in 10 years time when looking at a similar list, Welbeck and/or Chicharito will be on it. Way to early to say, at the moment. But both are young and look very promising - grounds for optimism.

Neutral

BTV
I wonder if, in 10 years time when looking at a similar list, Welbeck and/or Chicharito will be on it. Way to early to say, at the moment. But both are young and look very promising - grounds for optimism.

Hernandez will be 24 at the end of season and has 28 goals atm, another 123 needed just to equal Scholesy.

Danny only just turned 21, and has 14 goals for United, if he remains injury free, I can see him in that top 10 when all is said and done.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I much prefer Rooney in this deeper role he's been playing for the majority of the season; he sees much more of the ball and drives us forward. Plus we have so many good strikers it makes sense to accomodate at least one of Hernandez/Berba/Welbeck into our formation.
I think the fact that he gets on the ball a lot more in his deeper role is key. I often feel that he can be wasted up front because he doesn't see as much of the ball, and struggles to make an impact on the overall play of the team.

Gazza

Being top scorer in United's history would be absolutely incredible. You have to be playing every week for a long time and scoring goals for a team that wants to challenge for every trophy, every year. For all the (justified) talk about Rooney's consistency, that would be some achievement.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What pleased me most about Rooney's performance on Sunday was that it got better in the face of adversity. From a fairly flat performance in the first half he gradually came into his own as the game went along. That take from Valencia that led to the ricochet to Giggs in the build up to Chico's equaliser was an example of how he grew during the match. He went from tentative to terrifying in the space of 30 minutes and, most significantly, while we were fighting to get back into the game.

The mark of the best players is that they deliver when their team needs them to. 3-0 down at Stamford Bridge we needed all of our players to up it, a lot. Against Newcastle in January Rooney shrunk from that challenge and looked hesitant, nervous, unable to cope with the responsibility. The way he played at Chelsea during the first half you could've been forgiven for thinking after Luiz scored that he'd deliver a similarly dire performance. Instead Rooney stood up to be counted and put in a storming second half display in which in the main his touch and passing only got better and better.

If Rooney is not World Class his ability to perform under pressure sure is.

Eriku

What pleased me most about Rooney's performance on Sunday was that it got better in the face of adversity. From a fairly flat performance in the first half he gradually came into his own as the game went along. That take from Valencia that led to the ricochet to Giggs in the build up to Chico's equaliser was an example of how he grew during the match. He went from tentative to terrifying in the space of 30 minutes and, most significantly, while we were fighting to get back into the game.

The mark of the best players is that they deliver when their team needs them to. 3-0 down at Stamford Bridge we needed all of our players to up it, a lot. Against Newcastle in January Rooney shrunk from that challenge and looked hesitant, nervous, unable to cope with the responsibility. The way he played at Chelsea during the first half you could've been forgiven for thinking after Luiz scored that he'd deliver a similarly dire performance. Instead Rooney stood up to be counted and put in a storming second half display in which in the main his touch and passing only got better and better.

If Rooney is not World Class his ability to perform under pressure sure is.
Too right.

The way he took that first penalty I felt sure that we'd be seeing an incredibly determined Rooney performance in the second half.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Playing the deeper role doesn't prevent him from scoring.As long as he's on the pitch and with the right mentality, wherever he plays doesn't matter.He just needs to some mental consistency

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Playing the deeper role doesn't prevent him from scoring.As long as he's on the pitch and with the right mentality, wherever he plays doesn't matter.He just needs to some mental consistency
It doesnt prevent him from scoring but it makes it unlikely that he will hit the 30 goals per season heights of 09/10 that he will need to become all time top scorer at United.

He is much more useful deep than up front anyway, and our whole attacking play benefits from him playing deep with Welbeck working the line ahead of him. Thats more important than Rooney's personal scoring record.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Wherever he plays does matter. It's probably the most important factor for him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Really? His most prolific ever season came when he was played in a position that most people would claim didn't suit him.
The post I quoted made it seem like Rooney could be put in any position whatsoever, and thrive as long as he tried his best, which isn't true.

He can play as a striker, but I feel that he adds so much more to the team when we play him in a deeper role. Back during that prolific season, I think he was still developing as a player. He wasn't as good as a playmaker then as he is now, and could play in either attacking position though. Since then though, he's improved his game in a deeper role.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I think Rooney was at his all time best this time last year.

Watching Rooney, Giggs, Valencia, and Hernendez rip Chelsea apart 3 times was pretty amazing to watch.

Cina

Really? His most prolific ever season came when he was played in a position that most people would claim didn't suit him.
You say that a lot Pogue but Rooney is about a lot more than goals and he was at his very best at the backend of last season when used in his preferred role, and incidentally scoring lots of goals too. He's our best player so of course it's important that he's used in his most effective position. SAF knows that based on his very big lack of 4-3-3s in the last 2 seasons.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think Rooney was at his all time best this time last year.

Watching Rooney, Giggs, Valencia, and Hernendez rip Chelsea apart 3 times was pretty amazing to watch.
I'd have to agree with you on that actually. He was a joy to watch then. He completely changed his game and performed when under a lot of pressure from our fans and the media, after everything that had gone on earlier in that season. Hernandez and him were the perfect partnership as well. Hopefully that Chelsea game was a sign that we'll see more of them together again.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It doesnt prevent him from scoring but it makes it unlikely that he will hit the 30 goals per season heights of 09/10 that he will need to become all time top scorer at United.
a) that's not really true, all he needs is 4 seasons of 20-goal seasons to be top scorer as pointed out, which'll make all of the discussion about whether he's 'world class' look all the more laughable with hindsight. The club's all-time top goalscorer, while playing in one of the most successful period's of the club's history, with Manchester United being undeniably one of the biggest clubs in the world...and he's maybe 'world class'? Hah.

b) if he continues his scoring rate he's on course for close to a 30 goal season, he's on 19 now and he scored 11 goals from this point onwards in the season last year, playing in the exact same position, so it can't be that unlikely.

wr8_utd

:'(

It's amazing how so much of our attacking play goes through Rooney.

wr8_utd

a) that's not really true, all he needs is 4 seasons of 20-goal seasons to be top scorer as pointed out, which'll make all of the discussion about whether he's 'world class' look all the more laughable with hindsight. The club's all-time top goalscorer, while playing in one of the most successful period's of the club's history, with Manchester United being undeniably one of the biggest clubs in the world...and he's maybe 'world class'? Hah.

b) if he continues his scoring rate he's on course for close to a 30 goal season, he's on 19 now and he scored 11 goals from this point onwards in the season last year, playing in the exact same position, so it can't be that unlikely.
Couldn't agree more. It's laughable that there's anything to even debate about with regard to him being world class.

Gazza

Couldn't agree more. It's laughable that there's anything to even debate about with regard to him being world class.
Well, as much as what Brwned said is true, it's also true Wayne Rooney has not had an impact on a Champions League campaign befitting a player of world class status.

MacMUFC

Who's said he isn't world class? I'm thinking its paranoia of your beloved Wayney poo that leads you to think there's any 'debate' surrounding his status as a world class forward.

wr8_utd

Who's said he isn't world class? I'm thinking its paranoia of your beloved Wayney poo that leads you to think there's any 'debate' surrounding his status as a world class forward.
There are often debates on here about the validity of calling Rooney world class due to his "inconsistencies" actually.

Well, as much as what Brwned said is true, it's also true Wayne Rooney has not had an impact on a Champions League campaign befitting a player of world class status.
Infact I think Rooney's had quite an impact in our CL campaigns. He's scored so many crucial goals in knockout ties for us and more so than Ronaldo if I'm not wrong.

In Moscow and Rome he didn't do much but that was largely due to tactics and the position on the pitch that he was played in. At Wembley he was probably our best player and scored our only goal so yes I don't think he's done badly for us in our CL campaigns. He scores a lot of important goals in the knockout rounds for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.