Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Well? Still no one has managed to tell me exactly what we would be loosing that we cannt replace, if Im so wrong it should be easy............

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
But why? These days he provides nothing we cannt get from other members of the squad without even factoring in any potential new signings
Do you remember the rumours surrounding Giggs in 2003? It was the season he bang two past Juventus in the CL. Well before that there was strong rumours that he was going, as his form was utter crap tbh. Even after his two goals in Turin, people were saying things like...."Well, we'll get more money for him now."

What I'm trying to say is, just because Rooney hasn't had the best of seasons, I can't see that being the end of what he can offer us. He is still a great player.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:lol:

When Rooney was lone striker for us, he still got us 30+ goals and had a wonderful season until the injury in Munich which ruined our season. I'm not sure how he did anything that was counterproductive to the team when he that role.
I never said that he was shit. I am only saying that he would have been much more effective if he stayed upfront and made a nuisiance of himself with the opponents defense.

There's a reason why SAF spent so much money in RVP. The man is an expert in that role.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Do you remember the rumours surrounding Giggs in 2003? It was the season he bang two past Juventus in the CL. Well before that there was strong rumours that he was going, as his form was utter crap tbh. Even after his two goals in Turin, people were saying things like...."Well, we'll get more money for him now."

What I'm trying to say is, just because Rooney hasn't had the best of seasons, I can't see that being the end of what he can offer us. He is still a great player.
Im not saying he cannt offer us anything, Im saying he cannt offer us anything that we cannt also get from elsewhere so why worry is he goes.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I never said that he was shit. I am only saying that he would have been much more effective if he stayed upfront and made a nuisiance of himself with the opponents defense.

There's a reason why SAF spent so much money in RVP. The man is an expert in that role.
Do you honestly think about some of the posts you post?

Summit

Im not saying he cannt offer us anything, Im saying he cannt offer us anything that we cannt also get from elsewhere so why worry is he goes.
Rooney is a unique player. You don't get many players that can play up front alone, on the left wing, as an attacking midfielder, or as a CM. Please tell me where we can get these services elsewhere?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Getting in a piss when getting subbed is a bad thing? Fergie himself had stated he thinks the exact opposite, in he likes to see players react that way. Players who are desperate to play every minute and are disappointed not to be playing is certainly a positive thing. It shows desire to be playing football, and not just being a passenger in a team. These players are fellow humans you know, just like you and I, with feelings and emotions and everything.

But it's Rooney, so it's a crime against football. I bet he sometimes leaves his telly on standby too. Let's throw the cnut in jail.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Rooney is a unique player. You don't get many players that can play up front alone, on the left wing, as an attacking midfielder, or as a CM. Please tell me where we can get these services elsewhere?
From a dedicated forward, winger, am, and cm.

wr8_utd

:'(
It really isn't, given constant first team football RVP and Hernandez can more than cover his goals, Kagawa can quite conceivably cover his assists and Im sure we can find a midfielder capable of giving the ball away as much as he does.
Hernandez really isn't all that effective when starting games. I really love Hernandez but he just doesn't have the all round game that Rooney does. And yes like you said, it's going to require TWO players to cover for what we'll miss with Rooney gone. So why want him gone at all? Keep him, bring in a quality midfielder and we'll be extremely strong.

Until Feb, Rooney was scoring a goal ever 92 mins whereas RvP was scoring a goal every 111 minutes and this was despite RvP being the main man and Rooney playing deep. I really think we're underestimating Rooney's goal threat if we think Hernandez will cover for it.

Maybe he's been told by Fergie to come deeper and get involved in play? And he didn't really come that deep in the season he played lone striker. He stayed up front and he marvelous .

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well? Still no one has managed to tell me exactly what we would be loosing that we cannt replace, if Im so wrong it should be easy............
What we would be losing??:eek:

How about the fact he has scored nearly 200 goals for the club along with a shitload of assists to go with those goals? One poor season (And even then you cannot question his productivity) and you are telling me his contribution to the club would be easily replaceable?

People question Rooney's loyalties to the club when they themselves are only to eager to get rid of players after one underperforming season

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Theo Walcott

Younger, faster and all round better player

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Its really not hard to get on his twitter account and just say 'not sure where rumours are coming from. not true', hardly groundbreaking.
yeah, it's not something he has to do though is it?
maybe, just maybe some players aren't hooked on Twitter/Facebook like a lot of fans and don't think of it as a priority or a necessity in any case (unless you're Rio ofcourse).

If every player had to do what you suggested to quiet down rumours about them they'd spend half the day on the net denying whatever some random journalist came up with that day.

I'm not saying there's definitely no truth in these rumours, I'm saying there's no proof, and the only actualy quote in the whole article is "Rooney is not for sale". And I don't know about any of you, but I know for a fact the media tends to spin their stories however they deem necessary (be it sports-wise or news in general) and I don't buy this shit one bit until there's actual evidence.

If he comes out tomorrow and says he wants to leave than fine, I'll accept it. I'll thank him for his time, services, and the success he's helped United achieve and wish him good luck, and move on, but as of now, I don't have any concrete reason to believe that's the case and I don't want him gone in the slightest.

Dominos

The Independent say he's ready to make a U turn and stay? :lol:

This is just typical media nonsense now. 2 days back all of them said he's off and now slowly they're all saying he could stay. First Ben Smith and now this Independent article.
It's not Rooney that's doing the u-turn, it's the media.

Here's the Times article backtracking saying "he's reconsidering his future" as well. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article3760791.ece

What Rooney did this week is a lot worse than what he did in 2010 or Ronaldo in 2008. Himself and/or his PR team are trying to force United's hand, in a week where we really don't need any other issues. It's blatantly obvious that this story has been leaked by Stretford and Co. just by the timing of it. And fans like myself who had forgiven him for 2010, aren't going to now that he's tried to overshadow the retirement of Sir Alex by being a greedy cnut.

What he has done this week is shameful, worse than that MUTV interview with Keane, worse than Cantona's kung fu kick, worse than Tevez and his idiotic fans interrupting Ferguson's end of season speech, worse than any behavior of any Manchester United player I can remember.
There's speculating, making assumumptions and then there's slander... You have not a scrap of evidence Rooney leaked this so we're best to leave the accusations out of this.

The only thing he's likely to have leaked to the media this week is the denial from his mates on talk sport who say he has not asked to leave.

Different culture.

Ronaldo could have done our life hell, forcing us to let him go on peanuts. Once SAF's told him to shut up, he did and ended up signing a new contract which boosted our chances in selling him for top dollar.

Ronaldo was always a professional with us in and out of the pitch. He improved year after year, his temper and off the pitch antics were never an issue + he never questioned the club's ambition. He was just a young player who wanted to play with the team he supported as a child. Can you blame him on that?
His last contract was April 2007 on a 5 year deal, I don't know where this myth comes from he signed a new deal in the summer of 2008..

He got sent off more than once for us, one for a headbutt, one in a derby for losing his temper, he sulked and lashed out at our kit man when he got subbed, there were stories of late night parties with prostitues involving Anderson too (feck feck feck).

He didn't want to play for us at the end of the day, and that is no bigger crime than the rest of footballers who've wanted to leave a football club at one time or another, including Rooney.

Did you see him in the Bernabeau? He did little to no work on the Right, and had it not been for de Gea we would've let in more goals. This "he gives 100%" stopped being true in 2010.
Jesus Christ. So he's just been ambling about the pitch for 3 years, not giving full effort, and Fergie has just accepted this has he? Also pretty impressive to score 34 goals in a season when he couldn't really be arsed.

Summit

From a dedicated forward, winger, am, and cm.
So Rooney being so good and being able to play more than one position goes against him? As he is now not dedicated to the position he plays? Rooney is only being selfless and doing the job his manager has asked him. In fact, we have had other wingers (Nani) and CM's (Anderson and Cleverley) at our disposal this season, yet Rooney has featured ahead of them in some games? Why is that?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Honestly, there's no point discussing Rooney on this forum anymore. People had their opinions which clouded their judgement regarding him earlier and now it's become even worse. These "verbal request" to leave rumors might or might not be true but everyone's already well and truly believed and want him gone. I for one, hope he stays here, signs a new contract and smashes in some 30 odd goals to silence all the United fans who suddenly doubt the player he is.
What are you gonna with your username when or if he leaves ?

wr8_utd

I also think it's important we keep Rooney because RvP seems to enjoy playing with him and his stats with and without Rooney alongside him are quite staggering. I remember the commentator mentioning during the Villa game that RvP averages a goal every 81 minutes or so with Rooney playing and a goal ever 200 odd minutes without him on the pitch. I know people love to discount stats on here but that's quite a big big difference.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

How about the fact he has scored nearly 200 goals for the club along with a shitload of assists to go with those goals? One poor season (And even then you cannot question his productivity) and you are telling me his contribution to the club would be easily replaceable?

People question Rooney's loyalties to the club when they themselves are only to eager to get rid of players after one underperforming season
Well DUH, Hes been a constant first teamer for one of the worlds most dominant football clubs in the world for nearly a decade, I should fecking hope he has scored nearly 200 goals. So could a number of other world class forwards had they been given that place in the team.

And one underperforming season? If you total all of his spells of poor form including that monumental spell after the Bayern game We've probably had about 7 years of great service and two full years of dross.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He pretty much is, which is why he got away with it last time and got a massive new contract to boot.
Except now you have a much better forward in Van Judas, one who will continue to deliver and not prove to be a distraction or draw negative attention upon himself. Face it, teams love it when he lines up in the midfield - and United have two capable young back-ups in Hernandez and Welbeck (provided he can learn to score against teams that aren't Arsenal).

RVP is also better at playing behind the leading striker too, and he doesn't rely on his physical attributes nearly as much as Rooney has over his career. He will be a quality player for a fair few years yet, provided he doesn't suffer another horrible run with injuries.

If United had RVP at the time of the first Rooney saga, and all the negative reports re: his behaviour were true, then you can bet Ferguson would have laughed him out of the building. Personally I think he bent United over the barrel, but it was his prerogative to do so, and he did it at a time when your cross town rivals were making big noises in the transfer market and were poised to prove themselves as propped contenders. United couldn't afford to lose their (then) best and most experienced forward. Rooney and his agent knew this.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I also think it's important we keep Rooney because RvP seems to enjoy playing with him and his stats with and without Rooney alongside him are quite staggering. I remember the commentator mentioning during the Villa game that RvP averages a goal every 81 minutes or so with Rooney playing and a goal ever 200 odd minutes without him on the pitch. I know people love to discount stats on here but that's quite a big big difference.
I thought it was the other way around?

Cina

Indeed, having RvP makes losing Rooney far less of a problem than last time.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well DUH, Hes been a constant first teamer for one of the worlds most dominant football clubs in the world for nearly a decade, I should fecking hope he has scored nearly 200 goals. So could a number of other world class forwards had they been given that place in the team.

And one underperforming season? If you total all of his spells of poor form including that monumental spell after the Bayern game We've probably had about 7 years of great service and two full years of dross.
So we are ignoring the his record because others could have done the same??:lol: Your hatred of Rooney knows no bounds

So 7 good years and 2 underperforming ones is bad?

hp88

I don't think people are judging him on his footballing abilities, It's more to do with the way he has handled himself as a professional. He squeezed a bit of money out of us in 2010 but supporters didn't complain as he was heartbeat of the team, two and half years later it looks like he is trying it on again but this time he's no longer the 'main man' at United which is why you have got a lot pissed off supporters. If he want's a new contract he will got one and I will happy to see him stay but If he wants more money then he can feck off.

wr8_utd

Okay. Ronaldo and Messi aside, who exactly has the quality to give you 9 out of 9 years of quality service? Hell Ronaldo was only brilliant at United for 3 seasons!

And also, would the likes of Falcao, Cavani, RvP or all these world class forwards you talk about, score 200 goals despite playing various roles in the team from left wing to central midfield so that players like Ronaldo and RvP can play in their preferred roles? I think not.

manusteve

I don't know the answer, but when RVP had that lean spell of not scoring, was Rooney playing?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Baz not even the most biased Arsenal supporter would claim Walcott is a better player. He has had a better season, and he may be currently playing at a higher level, but there is no way known he is a better player than that chubster.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't think people are judging him on his footballing abilities, It's more to do with the way he has handled himself as a professional. He squeezed a bit of money out of us in 2010 but supporters didn't complain as he was heartbeat of the team, two and half years later it looks like he is trying it on again but this time he's no longer the 'main man' at United which is why you have got a lot pissed off supporters. If he want's a new contract he will got one and I will happy to see him stay but If he wants more money then he can feck off.
If what you say is true (That he wants more money) then I agree, he can the feck the hell of out of here but there is no indication that's whats happened.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I hope this crap doesn't overshadow what should be a celebration to mark the end of an era in the last few games.

If he really wants out then let him go. I can't see him going abroad either so most likely he's been tapped up by Chelsea or City.

If not then quash the rumours and get on with your football.

RDCR07

Not everyone is but Sparky Hughes looks like he is.

RDCR07

Younger - Yes
Faster - Marginally
All round better player - What are you smoking?
He was being sarcastic but it looks like you are the one who has been smoking to think Walcott is only marginally faster than Rooney.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?

also this.
people expect the players to all be loyal to the club, but I can't say they're "loyal" to the players.
I mean, Anderson at this point I understand, he's been here a long while and he's never really "delivered it", but Rooney has not only been here longer, been the heartbeat of the team, delivered so many brilliant performances and is on his way to become United's top ever goal scorer if he stays.
Regardless of what he does off the pitch he is a true talisman for this club and boy has he done his part and then some, so I think it's only fair people drop it and give him a break for not having the best year, and even this supposed "bad year" was still productive, especialy considering where he played most of the time (not as a striker).

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
because you can't get what he brings to the table in one player, you need atleast two players to share his "duties", and even though this is considered a below-par year we still wouldn't be where we are without Rooney and his contributions, not to mention I think most people expect him to preform better next season.

hp88

Not everyone is but Sparky Hughes looks like he is.
From what I have read he is saying we have players who can play in Rooney positon which is something I agree with. Just look at how we played at the start of the season when he was injured, unlike the later parts of 2010 season we have now got the players who can setup to the mark when Rooney isn't in the squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Okay. Ronaldo and Messi aside, who exactly has the quality to give you 9 out of 9 years of quality service? Hell Ronaldo was only brilliant at United for 3 seasons!

And also, would the likes of Falcao, Cavani, RvP or all these world class forwards you talk about, score 200 goals despite playing various roles in the team from left wing to central midfield so that players like Ronaldo and RvP can play in their preferred roles? I think not.
Rooney has probably started on the wing no more than 5 times for us, likewise in the centre of midfield.

Conversely, Ronaldo, Messi and van Persie have all probably started wide far more times than him in their careers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was being sarcastic but it looks like you are the one who has been smoking to think Walcott is only marginally faster than Rooney.
Ah yes, I can see how you would think from my post that I agree that Walcott is only marginally faster than Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.