Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

Rooney has been instrumental in helping us win the league this year. Just because he wants to leave doesn't mean he has been shite for us the whole season. That is just utterly bitter.
You'll be ignored in this thread because you're audacious enough to talk sense.

I think it's safe to say Wayne Rooney hasn't had his best season. He has looked lazy, and he has looked completely not bothered most of the time. If Fergie sees fit to bench him, then so be it. As Fergie said "Wayne Rooney on top form would not be taken off". Perhaps then Wayne should take a good hard look at himself in the mirror. He should be asking himself why he was benched. He then should be busting his ass to make the manager see different, not sulking and wanting to leave.
We all know that some of the things SAF says should be taken with a pinch of salt and that substitution thing is one of them. It doesn't make sense. Take the West Ham away PL game, he subbed Rooney off then in his presser said that the reason he took Rooney off was because Kagawa was playing so well, but why did SAF then take Kagawa off 7 mins later if he was playing so well? It doesn't make sense. Added to the fact that Kagawa has only competed the full 90 mins for us 5 times and has been subbed off 18 times this season compared to Rooney who has completed 90 mins 20 times this season.

I also don't get why people are so insistent on convincing themselves that Rooney has spent the entire season lazily skulking half-arsed around the pitch. It's absolute fallacy thrown about by those who are desperately trying to convince themselves that he's shit and we don't need him, just incase he goes. It's fecking annoying because it doesn't represent reality at all. Why rewrite what actually happened this season? We all admit he hadn't has his best season by his own high standards but it has no way been an awful season at all. I can count the truly poor games on one hand. They were few and far between, they were the exception but people are choosing to make out that they were the rule. Rooney was the difference in a lot of games for us whether people want to admit it or whether they will continue to bury their heads in the sand and continue to dismiss everything good he's done because they're butt hurt. Won't change the facts though. This team is better with Rooney in it and I hope we keep him here.

I really don't know where this misconception comes from that Rooney has had a very poor season. It's not been his best but it's easily been a more than decent one in which he has played a crucial role. Goals against Norwich, Southampton, Fulham, Reading, West Ham and a lot of crucial assists in that period where RvP decided to go AWOL and we needed someone to step up. And looking at him putting in those tackles near his own box and being pretty much everywhere makes you wonder why it's claimed that he looks half arsed. His performances in the last month (a period where everyone apart from Vidic and Carrick and maybe RvP have looked rubbish) or so since being pushed back into midfield have really affected people's opinions about what type of season he's had. I'm not saying he was brilliant but he was most definitely not poor.
Spot on.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Moyes will do what is best for the team

screw the fans

we have no idea whats going on behind closed doors
Agreed. Moyes doesn't strike me as the type to pander to public opinion. Much like SAF in that respect.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'm one of the few on here who doesn't dislike Rooney, and I actually think he's our best player. But I can't agree with that - he's an excellent finisher but RVP's a better one.
I think they are both pretty similar but I reckon Rooney tends to score more of the Hernandez type poachy goals. Not that it really makes any difference either way as RvP and Rooney have goals great and small in their locker.

wr8_utd

:'(
But that goes for almost any player ever. No player puts away 100% of their chances. His conversion rate, I can only predict, is probably still remarkable.
I'm not sure about the conversion rate but no player has missed more clear cut chances in the PL than RvP according to Opta.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Really? That's surprising. Especially after watching Suarez hitting the post/bar and skying ckear chances earlier in the season. I really can't remember RvP missing anywhere near that amount.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I also don't get why people are so insistent on convincing themselves that Rooney has spent the entire season lazily skulking half-arsed around the pitch. It's absolute fallacy thrown about by those who are desperately trying to convince themselves that he's shit and we don't need him, just incase he goes. It's fecking annoying because it doesn't represent reality at all.
Again, not every critic of Rooney has an agenda or bears tremendous ill-will towards him because of past behaviour. Now, I used to criticise Carrick - wrongly, as it turned out - because he wasn't the player I thought he might be...however, I didn't dream of criticising him because for lack of effort, because it was obvious to me that Michael was trying very hard to play his best football; in contrast, it's not obvious to me & other critics of Rooney that he's making sufficient effort (possibly because of disenchantment with - who knows? - SAF/life at United/whatever reason...). Plenty of United fans here doubtless agree with me on this, and not all of us have some bizarre fixation with old feuds and wanting Wayne to be sold - on the contrary, many of us want him to be back to his best, and for United at that.

LR7

Suarez shoots when it's obviously not on though. He takes shot after shot when its barely even a half-chance. I haven't seen the stat but I'd imagine it is just clear-cut chances, which RvP has missed a lot of.

LR7

Again, not every critic of Rooney has an agenda or bears tremendous ill-will towards him because of past behaviour. Now, I used to criticise Carrick - wrongly, as it turned out - because he wasn't the player I thought he might be...however, I didn't dream of criticising him because for lack of effort, because it was obvious to me that Michael was trying very hard to play his best football; in contrast, it's not obvious to me & other critics of Rooney that he's making sufficient effort (possibly because of disenchantment with - who knows? - SAF/life at United/whatever reason...). Plenty of United fans here doubtless agree with me on this, and not all of us have some bizarre fixation with old feuds and wanting Wayne to be sold - on the contrary, many of us want him to be back to his best, and for United at that.
Read back this thread and you'll see that is actually the case quite a lot of the time but I didn't say it was the same for everybody. This might sound sceptical but Im convinced the posters I'm on about don't want him back to his best, they want rid come what may.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If saf was still manager for next season then rooney would be a goner. However i cant see him leave now. Motes would want to win quickly and rooney suits his game

SteveJ

Scout
"They say...I...am...a...cancer..."

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rooney to miss Ferguson's final game as United manager... to meet new boss Moyes

The title the headline writer has given this bares no relation to Rooney's reason for missing the match. The article just restates that Rooney has been allowed to be with Colleen and will meet Moyes before the end of the month to discuss his future.

According to the Daily Mirror, Abramovich has told the United hierarchy to name their price for Rooney:

Wayne Blue-ney: Chelsea tell Manchester United to name their price for Rooney

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I find this depressing...

Fergie has done so much to change this club and all some of you can think about is "ah well his problem is with Fergie so feck him, he'll stay under Moyes!"

Fergie knows whats best for this club...He would never come out and said about the transfer request if Rooney wasn't a goner

binary bot
I find this depressing...

Fergie has done so much to change this club and all some of you can think about is "ah well his problem is with Fergie so feck him, he'll stay under Moyes!"

Fergie knows whats best for this club...He would never come out and said about the transfer request if Rooney wasn't a goner
Not as if he's done it before...

SteveJ

Scout
'Wayne Blue-ney'?!? Jesus Christ, not even Crackers & I would stoop to such levels of pun terrorism...

Sam

According to the Daily Mirror, Abramovich has told the United hierarchy to name their price for Rooney:
£50 million and he's all yours Roman. We'll drive him to London too if you want, better still, we'll gift wrap him and stick a nice little bow on top for no extra charge.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'm not having a go here, I'm just genuinely curious: What has made you reach that conclusion? Do you know anything about Rooney apart from rumours and reports in the press? What exactly is your judgment based on?

What has Rooney done, said or displayed which would make you conclude he is spoilt and immature? I, mean, more so than any other footballer - which I assume is your meaning here?

Could it be that you just don't like the face of the feckin' scouser, and that this - possibly - is somewhat clouding your judgment? Again, I'm not having a go. I don't love Wayne Rooney myself. I just find it interesting that he is so...despised by so many of our fans.

We know that he isn't happy. We know that he has handed in a transfer request. The rest is just speculation and drivel. He's a boozer, he doesn't give a shite, he's fat and probably a degenerate. There's nothing substantial apart from the fact that he wants away, for feck knows what reason. Where - pray illuminate me - is the part where he stands out as an undeniable cnut?
To be fair my opinion of him as spoilt and immature could be applied to a large section of top flight players, they have been coddled and ridiculously over praised since childhood, told they are always right and incredibly over rewarded all for having well coordinated feet......we should count ourselves lucky they only shag hookers rather than killing them and wearing their skins they are so far removed from reality. As for el scuzzball, I've disliked him since before he came to united and never changed my mind. I find him a perfect example of everything wrong with footballers, an ugly, uneducated scouser, with a complete lack of personality or charisma yet he's living like royalty purely because he can kick a ball.....

hp88

If Roman really wants Rooney how much do you think he would pay? He spent £30m on Shevchenko and £50m on Torres who were both players that were forced into the team by Roman, If you take that as price guide then I think we could get over £40m for Rooney.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If Roman really wants Rooney how much do you think he would pay? He spent £30m on Shevchenko and £50m on Torres who were both players that were forced into the team by Roman, If you take that as price guide then I think we could get over £40m for Rooney.
Anything over 30 and he's gone

LARulz

If we sell to a domestic rival its going to have to be a fair amount of money. There is no way we should be selling somebody as marketable and big named to a domestic rival for less than 35 million

buckooo1978

Do you really think we'd sell Rooney to city or Chelsea - that would be a disaster

when did we ever sell a good player to a rival?

Tevez was out of contract and that came back to bite us

look how we blocked Heinze to Liverpool

I think Rooney will stay but if we do sell it will be to a European club

I think Rooney if intent on going will want to stay in England

we will either have a player who improves his attitude and sorts out his future with the club

or a player who runs down his contract and goes to a rival on a free getting a bumper pay deal

wr8_utd

:'(
I really wouldn't even take 100m from Chelsea or City. Getting the money is great but like with Ronaldo, it's not like we're going to spend it and massively strengthening a title rival really isn't worth any amount of money they give us.

hp88

I really wouldn't even take 100m from Chelsea or City. Getting the money is great but like with Ronaldo, it's not like we're going to spend it and massively strengthening a title rival really isn't worth any amount of money they give us.
Now that's just stupid, you can do a lot with £100m.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Interesting that you cite a lack of effort from Rooney. Sure, he hasn't always looked himself this season, but I've never looked at him and thought that he's not trying.

The best thing for the club will be for Moyes to get hold of Rooney and assure him that he's integral - he is a great player, and we'll be stronger with him being happy.

I think it's clear to see that Fergie has handled this Rooney situation in quite an incendiary fashion, knowing that it wasn't going to be his problem. A little bit naughty, but he was probably wanting to exact a bit of revenge for the contract palaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.