Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not sure about that. The last time he taxed our patience he got his own way.
Last time we needed to keep Rooney.

I don't think the club are concerned about transfer fees, just look at the Berbatov deal. We bought him for £30m and sold him on for £5m, If we wanted maximum return on our outlay then he would have been sold a year earlier.
I think it is fair to assume Berbatov was kept around whilst players like Hernandez and Welbeck got a bit more experience. After paying £30 mill for Berbatov we were never going to give up on him straight away.

We've had a good number of years of service from Rooney, but now its at the point where we either offer him a new deal, sell him now for good money, sell him next summer for less money or let him go for free the year after. I think there's only one option if the club sees it as many of us do.

JohnLocke

I hope he goes abroad but with the new baby just arrived / arriving then I would assume that a move to a foreign country would be out.

All Pure speculation on my part, and I couldn't see him wanting to move away either.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not sure you can say at both their heights that Rooney was better without red glasses, both very very good but to say Rooney was better I can't agree, they were on a very similar level at their peak in form IMO, just slightly behind Messi/ Ronaldo, a few years back when Rooney was banging them in (09?) I think it was acknowledged that he was no.3 in the world... as it was last year that Falcao was there or there abouts...
Rooney hasn't had the best of seasons (all players go through that) but if you are comparing both of them at their bests then Rooney is much better. Falcao is the slightly better poacher but Rooney's all round game is on a different level imo.

Even their records from last season doesn't support this theory that Falcao is a substantially better scorer

Falcao scored 36 in 50 games where as Rooney scored 34 in 42 games so Rooney had a better goals to games ratio as recently as last season.

manusteve

Do people really think we'll sell to a domestic rival?

I don't see it.

If it comes down to a game of brinkmanship, I think United would hold him to his contract. By the time his contract is over, he'll be 29 (?) and with his physique and the poor way he conditions himself, I don't think he'd have that many years left at the top level.

We're in a position of strength, in my opinion.

I think he'll stay.
We're hardly in a position of strength by retaining Rooney if his deterioration continues, surely?

If we sell him after another season, his value plummets anyway.

I think he goes, United moves on...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd like to see a poll of what people would prefer:

£50m from a Domestic Rival
£35m from a European Rival
Refuse him an exit from the club and expect him to be professional.

manusteve

MDFC Manager

If we're sure to get Bale in, i'd even take £25m from a team outside the PL. If we arent going to get Bale or someone else who is top tier quality, i'd rather convince him to stay.

Adebesi

An extra £15m is not to be sniffed at. I would probably sell him to a domestic rival. It all hinges on what we do with the money though, doesnt it. You cant really consider this in isolation, money in the bank account is of no use to us, but £50m + an additional transfer kitty to make a signing or two, used wisely, and I could live with seeing Rooney line up for Chelsea - or City even.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It'd probably take a ridiculous fee for us to sell him to a domestic rival, and doubt anyone would be dumb enough to cough it up given Rooney's form over the past year. There's other players available for that sort of money.
Sorry, I meant why not in response to "rooney probably wouldn't want to go to a domestic rival"

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Aslong as it's no less than £20 million, I don't care how much we get for him aslong as he doesn't go to a Premier League rival.

It's simply not worth it.

Adebesi

I dont think Rooney would have too much compunction about joining one of our rivals, he isnt a United fan, and even if he was since when has that made a difference to professional footballers? Better be booed by a few fans for one away game a season than being frazzled by the intense, foreign sun, in some country where nobody talks properly and you cant find a battered sausage for love nor money.

Cee90

I dont think Rooney would have too much compunction about joining one of our rivals, he isnt a United fan, and even if he was since when has that made a difference to professional footballers? Better be booed by a few fans for one away game a season than being frazzled by the intense, foreign sun, in some country where nobody talks properly and you cant find a battered sausage for love nor money.
I agree.

Let's send him to Scotland.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I can't make up my mind whether he's...

*The past-it Homer look-a-like who'll magically transform into Messi at Chelsea, or...

*The White Pelé who'll turn out to be a resounding fag ash-covered flop there.

Still, I'd rather sell him to a club outside the UK.

TheRisingSun

Banned
He left his boyhood team to go to United - surely that tells you all you need to know about his loyalty?

Adebesi

He left his boyhood team to go to United - surely that tells you all you need to know about his loyalty?
I dont think it says much about Rooney personally, to be honest, so much as footballers generally. Alan Smith, Sol Campbell, there are plenty of players who have done far more unthinkable moves than what Rooney did. People just want to win things. The players who will put personal loyalty above ambition are the exception rather than the rule I expect.

Brophs

The One and Only
Ditto Frank Lampard. You lot seem to fancy him as being Mr. Chelsea, don't you? Not every player is fortunate enough to be able to play for his boyhood club and get to the top of the game.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Call me a hipster if you must but getting Lukaku and any kind of money from Chelsea would please me right now.

Cee90

I'd take £50m from Chelsea all day long
Chelsea are not far off becoming a great team and a serious title challenger.

They are missing that all important striker...selling them Rooney would be a huge mistake that the £50 million will not compensate for.

TheRisingSun

Banned
Ditto Frank Lampard. You lot seem to fancy him as being Mr. Chelsea, don't you? Not every player is fortunate enough to be able to play for his boyhood club and get to the top of the game.
Completely different case. Lampard left under a cloud and now tangibly dislikes West Ham, Rooney is still a big Everton fan who decorated his kids room in their colours and still claims to be a supporter. He has never handed in a transfer request or agitated to leave like Rooney has.

I think it's fair to say that Lampard has become a Mr Chelsea.

For what it's worth as a Chelsea fan, I genuinely don't want Rooney. I think he's on the demise and his Scally diet of takeaways, smoking and brass are not going to serve him well into his 30's. He's already lost a yard of pace and seems to be carrying pounds. 50 million would be a ludicrous waste of money at a time when we just seem to be starting to be young players with a good head on their shoulders who have re-sale value.

Brophs

The One and Only
Completely different case. Lampard left under a cloud and now tangibly dislikes West Ham, Rooney is still a big Everton fan who decorated his kids room in their colours and still claims to be a supporter. He has never handed in a transfer request or agitated to leave like Rooney has.

For what it's worth as a Chelsea fan, I genuinely don't want Rooney. I think he's on the demise and his Scally diet of takeaways, smoking and brass are not going to serve him well into his 30's. He's already lost a yard of pace and seems to be carrying pounds. 50 million would be a ludicrous waste of money at a time when we just seem to be starting to be young players with a good head on their shoulders who have re-sale value.
It's not different at all, apart from the side of the fence you happen to be standing on. I've never heard him disparage West Ham, other than to acknowledge some fans giving him a hard time. Also, didn't Lampard agree to join Inter and then change his mind in 2009 ish?

Crustanoid

Chelsea are not far off becoming a great team and a serious title challenger.

They are missing that all important striker...selling them Rooney would be a huge mistake that the £50 million will not compensate for.
fecking hell, I'd snap their hand off for 50 mil

We have RVP, Hernandez and Welbeck, plus 50 mil to get other good strikers if we wish.

They get Rooney, his wage bill, and whatever else comes with him. They would only go and buy Falcao or whomever anyhow

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Hasn't Wayne Rooney been known to antagonise Everton fans...I agree with anyone who says he doesn't know loyalty but to suddenly flip the script and call him a true blue is a bit convenient. It's obvious he's not loyal to anyone and he could manufacture a move to wherever he wants providing we want to cash in rather than have him go for nothing in 2 years.

Cee90

fecking hell, I'd snap their hand off for 50 mil

We have RVP, Hernandez and Welbeck, plus 50 mil to get other good strikers if we wish.

They get Rooney, his wage bill, and whatever else comes with him. They would only go and buy Falcao or whomever anyhow
Right, I look at it like this:

Selling Rooney to a Premier League rival has no benefits to us, whatsoever.

Who says we will spend that £50 million wisely?

Do we want to be known as a club who sell some of our best players off to our league rivals? Arsenal have done just that and look at the mess they're in.

Rooney going to Chelsea will strengthen them no doubt, and make them one of the favorites for the league. How much money do we get if we win the league? Probably close to that £50 million anyway.

Also, last but not least, the fact that he is going to score goals against us is a real kick in the balls. You can bet he will probably go on to become top goalscorer there as well knowing our luck.

So yes, £50 million in the short term may seem like a great deal, but for me I would happily take £30 million from an overseas club.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Right, I look at it like this:

Selling Rooney to a Premier League rival has no benefits to us, whatsoever.

Who says we will spend that £50 million wisely?

Do we want to be known as a club who sell some of our best players off to our league rivals? Arsenal have done just that and look at the mess they're in.

Rooney going to Chelsea will strengthen them no doubt, and make them one of the favorites for the league. How much money do we get if we win the league? Probably close to that £50 million anyway.

Also, last but not least, the fact that he is going to score goals against us is a real kick in the balls. You can bet he will probably go on to become top goalscorer there as well knowing our luck.

So yes, £50 million in the short term may seem like a great deal, but for me I would happily take £30 million from an overseas club.
Who says we will spend it at all? remember Ronaldo..

Adebesi

I thought the whole rationale behind this was Rooney is surplus to requirements? In which case RVP is hardly a good comparison. He didnt leave because he was dropped for big games or couldnt get in the team in his preferred position, did he?

The Neviller

It's only different because he plays for Chelsea, and you're a Chelsea fan, you whopper.

There's a bridge missing a troll somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.