Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

Right, I look at it like this:

Selling Rooney to a Premier League rival has no benefits to us, whatsoever.
It almost certainly would have the benefit of getting a higher fee, as Chelsea/City are renowned for overpaying.

Who says we will spend that £50 million wisely?
No-one. But who says we won't? The club will obviously have targets that they feel will be wise investments. I'm sure if Rooney was sold for £50m they'd be a near £100m surplus to spend if the manager wanted to (£50m fee + wages).

Do we want to be known as a club who sell some of our best players off to our league rivals? Arsenal have done just that and look at the mess they're in.
An isolated incident wouldn't give you that reputation. Particularly when the reason Rooney wants to leave (allegedly) is because he isn't first choice.

Rooney going to Chelsea will strengthen them no doubt, and make them one of the favorites for the league. How much money do we get if we win the league? Probably close to that £50 million anyway.
Rooney would strengthen them, but less (in my opinion) than a more natural poacher. I believe if they didn't get Rooney they will get that player. Also you don't get an additional £50m for winning the league, you get less than £1m extra for coming first vs second (minus the millions in bonuses you have to pay out - financially speaking second is probably a better position!)

Also, last but not least, the fact that he is going to score goals against us is a real kick in the balls. You can bet he will probably go on to become top goalscorer there as well knowing our luck.

So yes, £50 million in the short term may seem like a great deal, but for me I would happily take £30 million from an overseas club.
Yes he would be likely to score against us at some point. But so is any top class striker that Chelsea buy. I know our fans will hurt a lot more because it's an ex United player, but whether it's Cavani, Falcao, Lewandowski or Rooney scoring is actually pretty irrelevant.

My opinion is summed up by:

If Chelsea sign Rooney it will be instead of some other great player, meaning his net contribution is minimal. United will replace Rooney with a top class player, meaning our net loss is minimal and potentially a net benefit (if we signed the likes of Bale, given his age and potential).

Obviously you can argue the theoretical situation where United let Rooney go without replacing him. But in that instance we could say that losing every player in the last decade was a mistake.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd rather £35m from a European team personally. Most ideal would be PSG or Monaco. However, 'domestic rival; is a bit broad too. Selling to Chelsea and selling to City are hugely different things.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
It almost certainly would have the benefit of getting a higher fee, as Chelsea/City are renowned for overpaying.
Whilst I agree, I believe that the extra £10-£15 million extra we would receive from selling him to a Premier League rival wouldn't be worth it in the long term.

No-one. But who says we won't? The club will obviously have targets that they feel will be wise investments. I'm sure if Rooney was sold for £50m they'd be a near £100m surplus to spend if the manager wanted to (£50m fee + wages).
A valid point of course, however I am a firm believer that we did not spend the £80 million Ronaldo money as well as we probably could have. I am worried that will happen again even if we get £50 million from the Rooney transfer.

Not to mention how much of that money will simply go towards the Glazers debt.

An isolated incident wouldn't give you that reputation. Particularly when the reason Rooney wants to leave (allegedly) is because he isn't first choice.
Not sure if that really is the reason, but lets be honest, an on form Rooney would be first choice, we all know what he is capable of.

Even selling him once to a rival will send out the wrong signals. A few years down the line we could be in a similar situation with one of our star players wanting out. Let it be clear that we won't sell to a league rival e.g. Heinze.

Rooney would strengthen them, but less (in my opinion) than a more natural poacher. I believe if they didn't get Rooney they will get that player. Also you don't get an additional £50m for winning the league, you get less than £1m extra for coming first vs second (minus the millions in bonuses you have to pay out - financially speaking second is probably a better position!)

Yes he would be likely to score against us at some point. But so is any top class striker that Chelsea buy. I know our fans will hurt a lot more because it's an ex United player, but whether it's Cavani, Falcao, Lewandowski or Rooney scoring is actually pretty irrelevant.

My opinion is summed up by:

If Chelsea sign Rooney it will be instead of some other great player, meaning his net contribution is minimal. United will replace Rooney with a top class player, meaning our net loss is minimal and potentially a net benefit (if we signed the likes of Bale, given his age and potential).

Obviously you can argue the theoretical situation where United let Rooney go without replacing him. But in that instance we could say that losing every player in the last decade was a mistake.
You can't tell me that winning the league will not provide a football club with greater financial benefits in general. Simply put, Rooney going to Chelsea will make them a much better team, there is surely not arguing that.

We know Rooney is capable of producing in this league, not too long ago he was putting in world class performances week in week out.

For me, the cons of selling him to a league rival far outweigh the almost non-existent pros and benefits.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Doesn't matter how much we sell him for, we'll only go and waste it all buying Fellaini and Anichebe :(

It's sad but that's the level of player we can attract these days. :mad:

MJJ

Doesn't matter how much we sell him for, we'll only go and waste it all buying Fellaini and Anichebe :(

Rowen, this wasnt funny the first time you did it and its not definitely not funny now. Let it go dude.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans

How many times have you posted this now?

It's really, really tedious.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Regardless of where we sell him to, it's inevitable he'll score against us at some stage. I think we can all accept that.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'd like to see a poll of what people would prefer:

£50m from a Domestic Rival
£35m from a European Rival
Refuse him an exit from the club and expect him to be professional.
£50m from Chelsea no question

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff

Next time you post one of these shit jokes in the serious forums, I'm going to infract you.

Widnes

I'd rather sell him abroad, he would be a amazing signing for Chelsea, think he would be challenging for the golden boot.

Shark

@NotShark
Will people stop worrying themselves into the ground over Rooney going to Chelsea? :lol:

I'm 99% sure that it won't happen. We're the champions of England and most importantly, we're Manchester United...not Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool.

If Rooney is to leave, he's going abroad IMO.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Will people stop worrying themselves into the ground over Rooney going to Chelsea? :lol:

I'm 99% sure that it won't happen. We're the champions of England and most importantly, we're Manchester United...not Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool.

If Rooney is to leave, he's going abroad IMO.
It's entirely possible that we would choose to sell him to Chelsea. So I don't get why being 'the champions of England' would prevent us from making our preferred transfer.

Shark

@NotShark
It's entirely possible that we would choose to sell him to Chelsea. So I don't get why being 'the champions of England' would prevent us from making our preferred transfer.
We're too big a club to sell a player like Rooney to a domestic rival. It's just not going to happen IMO.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
We're too big a club to sell a player like Rooney to a domestic rival. It's just not going to happen IMO.
We're not retarded, if Chelsea offer a fee that completely dwarves any others then we'll sell him there IMO.

It wouldn't say anything about the size of the club either, no idea why you think that. What's the relevance of them being domestic?

I understand that you don't want to be known as a selling club or one that lets their best players be poached away, but if Moyes decides he's had enough of Rooney's shit then the transfer is on his terms.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We're not retarded, if Chelsea offer a fee that completely dwarves any others then we'll sell him there IMO.

It wouldn't say anything about the size of the club either, no idea why you think that. What's the relevance of them being domestic?

I understand that you don't want to be known as a selling club or one that lets their best players be poached away, but if Moyes decides he's had enough of Rooney's shit then the transfer is on his terms.
I agree.

Another issue that is being ignored is whether Rooney has everything set with a given club. In that case, with just 2 years in his contract left, then we will probably ending up selling him there whether we like it or not. Its the Beckham saga all over again (Barca offered us more dosh only for Becks to end up with Real because he wanted to play there)

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The opposition of a few here seems to be prefaced on the notion that we won't put the money to good use afterwards, that's quite an unknown to be setting a firm position by.

What is good use anyway? Is it only the purchase of Bale, Falcao or Ronaldo?

Further to this prevailing sentiment that we judge the success of selling Rooney be how well he does in his first season for the recipient, if he goes but our team is rejuvenated or shows immediate signs of progress that can be success too, these outcomes are not mutually exclusive.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

That's flawed logic though.

What is the benefit of receiving a larger transfer fee for a club like us? Smaller clubs it helps to build foundations, for us the only benefit would be having a bit more to spend when replacing him.

Now lets say we accepted £15m more from Chelsea, what player could we then buy, that would not only benefit us more than initially having Rooney but also benefit us enough to negate the huge benefit Chelsea would have in buying Rooney.

With Mourinho going back there, another couple of wise signings and taking Rooney from us you'd fancy Chelsea for the League title.

Shark

@NotShark

It's Wayne Rooney, one of the biggest names in football and he's arguably been our best player or there abouts since Ronaldo left.

I think that selling a player of such a high profile to a domestic rival sends out more wrong messages than anything. I can't see us doing it, no matter what the offer.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I think that selling a player of such a high profile to a domestic rival sends out more wrong messages than anything. I can't see us doing it, no matter what the offer.
It's not as if its a hostile transfer on Chelsea's part though, United would be the ones looking to sell and to best advantage.

If they were raiding our squad and taking players against the preference of the manager then perhaps our standing could be questioned, that is not what is occurring in this hypothetical situation.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's not as if it's a hostile transfer on Chelsea's part though, United would be the ones looking to see and to best advantage.

If they were raiding our squad and taking players against the will of the preference of the manager then perhaps our standing could be questioned, that is not what is occurring in this hypothetical situation.
This sums it up perfectly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Of course, it'll still be dressed-up as 'UNITED IN CRISIS + UNITED IN CRISIS'.

finneh

That's flawed logic though.

What is the benefit of receiving a larger transfer fee for a club like us? Smaller clubs it helps to build foundations, for us the only benefit would be having a bit more to spend when replacing him.

Now lets say we accepted £15m more from Chelsea, what player could we then buy, that would not only benefit us more than initially having Rooney but also benefit us enough to negate the huge benefit Chelsea would have in buying Rooney.

With Mourinho going back there, another couple of wise signings and taking Rooney from us you'd fancy Chelsea for the League title.
It isn't necessarily the transfer fee that is the benefit. Say the following options are:

a) Selling Rooney to Chelsea for £50m; or

b) Rooney signing a 3 year contract extension extension.

The difference between keeping Rooney for 5 years and selling him is c.£110m. Obviously the squad could be strengthened significantly with this kind of budget (on top of our normal budget) and it is likely the manager will be seriously looking at a totally different set of players.

Saying "what difference is £15m going to make", isn't a true reflection of the costs involved.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Of course, it'll still be dressed-up as 'UNITED IN CRISIS + UNITED IN CRISIS'.
Some will certainly do that, for no other reason that a section of the media will be holding a vigil in anticipation our post-Fergie demise. However we can only control so much and if it isn't Rooney they'll just find something else.

That earlier reply of mine somehow ended up being two merged into one, my typist offers their apologies.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
we will not sell him to Chelsea... no way.

I think because of Van Persie transfer, some think its possible but its not.

If he wants to leave, he must choose beetween Spain, Italy, China, France, whatever.. no way he stays in England.

Anything between 30 and 40M is fair enough.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hopefully the "United in Crisis" headlines will soon be joining City's "Power Shift in Manchester" ones in wastepaper baskets.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
we will not sell him to Chelsea... no way.

I think because of Van Persie transfer, some think its possible but its not.

If he wants to leave, he must choose beetween Spain, Italy, China, France, whatever.. no way he stays in England.

Anything between 30 and 40M is fair enough.
Can you explain why?

I don't think there is any chance of him going to Italy... Or China :houllier:

But yeah, there isn't many teams who can afford him anyway, and of that number only a few actually need him. Chelsea is one of only a few who make sense.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Can you explain why?

I don't think there is any chance of him going to Italy... Or China :houllier:

But yeah, there isn't many teams who can afford him anyway, and of that number only a few actually need him. Chelsea is one of only a few who make sense.
Actually Chelsea doesnt make sense... their attacking midfielders are better (or just as good) than Rooney. If he were to replace Torres, yeah, might improve them a little bit, but Torres is starting to score more often, they have Lukaku and Demba Ba...

They need to improve others areas... maybe none... i think Mou is all they need really.

Barcelona make more sense... they need a striker!!

A swap for Sanchez? make even more sense...

Anyway, we will not sell him to Chelsea because we are manchester united. We dont need to and we dont want to. Silly, very silly if people actually believes we will do that.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The assumption that we could simply go and sell Rooney abroad might actually be wrong here. There are only a few clubs in the world who could offer him the sort of wages he's on at United. In Germany there's only Bayern and I don't think they'll be interested, in Italy there's literally no one, in Spain we have Madrid and Barcelona but out of these two I could only see Madrid being interested and I'm not sure they will. I doubt Rooney will endorse a move to Monaco or PSG, he loves money but he's also a competitive player.

Thing is he might not want to re-locate and move away from England altogether at all. He's got his family there, they seem comfortable and his next move will be on a 4-year deal as well - 4 years is a long time to be separated from your homeland. If Chelsea offer him the same package that any club from abroad would, and they will, he could really force our hand to sell him there. At the end of the day it's better to take £30m+ they are going to offer now and find replacement than keep an unhappy player nowhere close to his best and let him go for a much reduced price next year or nothing in two years.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Actually Chelsea doesnt make sense... their attacking midfielders are better (or just as good) than Rooney. If he were to replace Torres, yeah, might improve them a little bit, but Torres is starting to score more often, they have Lukaku and Demba Ba...

They need to improve others areas... maybe none... i think Mou is all they need really.

Barcelona make more sense... they need a striker!!

A swap for Sanchez? make even more sense...

Anyway, we will not sell him to Chelsea because we are manchester united. We dont need to and we dont want to. Silly, very silly if people actually believes we will do that.
Yeah, Torres has been so so prolific this season.

He's a crap striker, Ba is decent at best and Lukaku still needs some time to develop (he's just turned 20 a week ago). Rooney would improve them a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.