Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art

Art the artist
One season, at best. The one he got injured in towards the end. Or are you suggesting he was the heartbeat of the team when he got played in various positions to accommodate and best use a much better player in Ronaldo? He played some of his worst football in the first half of 10/11 due to sulking because he wanted to leave so that ones out.
And the same 10/11 season, he was instrumental in helping us reach the finals of the Cl and winning the Premier League. Don't let that slip your mind :)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If we sell him to Chelsea it will, because it will make us yet another club which can be stripped of its best players by oligarchs. It's a precedent, just like when Liverpool and Arsenal did it for the first time.
No it's not setting any precedent that will doom us. You're just panicking. We're not arsenal o Liverpool, were the most valuable club in football. We're not going to sink because we sold Rooney. Especially when you consider nothing of that sort happend when we sold Ronaldo.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
No it's not setting any precedent that will doom us. You're just panicking. We're not arsenal o Liverpool, were the most valuable club in football. We're not going to sink because we sold Rooney. Especially when you consider nothing of that sort happend when we sold Ronaldo.
Not that I think we'll sink without Rooney but I guess the main difference here is that we sold Ronaldo to a foreign club whilst Chelsea are one of our main rivals in the league title race.

amolbhatia50k

And the same 10/11 season, he was instrumental in helping us reach the finals of the Cl and winning the Premier League. Don't let that slip your mind :)
He did very well but so did Hernandez and many others. He spent a decent portion of the season being utter shit and itching to leave. Hardly the stuff of a supposed headbeat of the side. It's just a stupid phrase rather than any criticism of Rooney. Rvp has been fantastic this year and very inspirational, but I wouldn't call him our heart beat or anything.

amolbhatia50k

Not that I think we'll sink without Rooney but I guess the main difference here is that we sold Ronaldo to a foreign club whilst Chelsea are one of our main rivals in the league title race.
Of course it's not ideal. But this massive panick unnecessary. We will be strengthening Chelsea for sure and we should try and avoid any such move but it's silly to claim we won't get near Chelsea (how many points behind us are they) and that our standing will fall drawing comparisons to Liverpool and arsenal.

darko

Well he certainly isn't worth any more money than he's getting so if he does want more he can go.
But they used him in the title run in virtually all the time. The one game he didn't play that was important was the second leg at home to Madrid. But, he was important enough to playing the first leg away.

But this is a way United can use the last few games as a psychological advantage. Although, IMHO, it would probably make very little difference. Any way, if they didn't think he was vital, he wouldn't have played in all those important matches.

The question becomes how much does he want, what can he be sold for and who they can bring in to replace him with those funds?

Devil may care

Jamie Redknapp seemed certain Rooney has played his last game for United when he was asked on Sky Sports today, I expected Nevs to disagree but he didn't comment at all.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Only good news about him going to Chelsea is that it means Lukaku is less likely to stay there. He looks the real 'future' danger striker, and fits into their system better than Rooney would.

Then again, it's Chelsea, they could just write off Marin and Oscar as 'oops' moments and play Rooney with Mata and Hazard behind the striker.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Do people really think we'll sell to a domestic rival?

I don't see it.

If it comes down to a game of brinkmanship, I think United would hold him to his contract. By the time his contract is over, he'll be 29 (?) and with his physique and the poor way he conditions himself, I don't think he'd have that many years left at the top level.

We're in a position of strength, in my opinion.

I think he'll stay.

Adebesi

I can see us selling to a domestic rival. It's not ideal but ultimately it will be a business decision, if Rooney doesn't want to go abroad or no foreign clubs come in with acceptable offers, they'll accept it as preferable to losing him on a free.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Only good news about him going to Chelsea is that it means Lukaku is less likely to stay there. He looks the real 'future' danger striker, and fits into their system better than Rooney would.

Then again, it's Chelsea, they could just write off Marin and Oscar as 'oops' moments and play Rooney with Mata and Hazard behind the striker.
I'd take 20 mil and Lukaku.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I don't see it.

If it comes down to a game of brinkmanship, I think United would hold him to his contract. By the time his contract is over, he'll be 29 (?) and with his physique and the poor way he conditions himself, I don't think he'd have that many years left at the top level.

I think he'll stay.
I don't think we'll force him to see out his contract as a bit part player, or even make him sit it out completely. £200k per week is alot of money to be spending just to make sure we don't sell a good player to our rival. Might as well command the biggest fee possible and replace him.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
There's much talk of Bale coming to United however without the player forcing the issue or us at least equalling the UK transfer record, Levy would be only too happy to make this a decidedly uncomfortable and ultimately fruitless transfer saga.

I think we'd consider selling to Chelsea if all of the oversea options didn't come to scratch, City should only be participants in so far as they can push up the asking price for the rest. Of course once Chelsea knew that they were the only ones left in the running our position would undoubtedly be weaker.

He hasn't been a main figure this season, let's be honest. His stats are there, but as a presence he hasn't. RvP has stuck out far more than he has, and him being on the pitch has given us hope attacking wise than anyone else. Who else in our squad can consistently do that, Kagawa? Nani? Welbeck or Hernandez? If they can consistently be a threat going forward week in week out like RvP and Rooney, then I will have more confidence in them. But right now I see the need for a big player to come in and fill Rooney's boots, because if he goes next season I do feel we'll miss those numbers he provides in terms of goals and assists.
It would be hard to imagine that our wingers whoever they are will have such an ineffective season as this one. Kagawa and Welbeck will surely improve simple a further step in their natural progression at the club. I don't think Hernandez has much to prove in terms fo his output for us, rather a question of game time.

Maybe we do get a forward but the first signing i'd like to see walking through the gates at Carrington is a midfielder if at all possible [one we should be prepared to spend big on if necessary].

Platato

Psst!
This rooney talk is doing me head in. He WAS quite valuable but not like before. The fact wr8 would barely accept £100m for Rooney is beyond madness.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

I don't see it.

I think he'll stay.
oops...

I wrote a load of bollocks as usual and deleted it

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If any, selling him to Chelsea will weaken their squad.

Don't compare him to Torress, but if Chelsea didn't buy him, they'll probably get Falcao, and with Rooney's baggage and eratic form, I'd rather him then Falcao.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Don't compare him to Torress, but if Chelsea didn't buy him, they'll probably get Falcao, and with Rooney's baggage and eratic form, I'd rather him then Falcao.
I was thinking the same.

Rooney to Chelsea means no Falcao (one would think). Chelsea already have a Torres who is starting to return to form, Ba and Lukaku, and then MatA, Hazard and Oscar playing deeper.

Adding Rooney to that mix doesn't really scare me because they can't play them all at the same time. If the price is right then let them have him.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request

You mean weaken their future hypothetical squad in the hope that it'll prevent them from signing someone, who we think is better than Rooney? :)

Mate, I am not a Rooney advocate and won't be overly worried if he was sold abroad but it would be foolish of us to think Rooney is past his prime at 27. He is still one of the top players in the world, who still has a lot to give to the game. I think we are mistaking Rooney's erratic form with a loss of skill and desire.

If we don't look at this season isolation then we all might be able to judge him better. There are very few players in the world with the combination of football intelligence, all around game and scoring ability of Wayne Rooney.

Rooney needs a change of scenery and I hope we make sure that scenery is out of England.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I don't see it.

I think he'll stay.
You are correct, he probably won't last many more years at the top. With that in mind though, why would we want him to stay for two more years when we could make £30-40 mill now? It's not how we work. If the club share the same opinion that he's not going to last then they won't want to offer him anothef deal and therefore will be looking to sell now. This summer is our last chance to make big money off him.

Roon101

I find it amazing how under-rated he is on here now.

Seeing the effect Van Persie has had on us would make it suicide to sell him to a Premiership rival.

Say what you want, but he is one of our most influential players. The stats back that up for this year in what was meant to be a poor season for him

If we sell him to Chelsea then i'd make them favourites for the title next season.

If he's going, he has to go abroad. We need to look after our own interests, not just the players.

Siorac

You are correct, he probably won't last many more years at the top. With that in mind though, why would we want him to stay for two more years when we could make £30-40 mill now? It's not how we work. If the club share the same opinion that he's not going to last then they won't want to offer him anothef deal and therefore will be looking to sell now. This summer is our last chance to make big money off him.
Umm, we're not a selling club who looks to make big money off its assets. If the management still considers Rooney an asset on the pitch, we won't be looking to sell him just to make big money.

One would think you're talking about Aston Villa or Fulham here.

mufcwarm92

There's absolutely zero chance he'd end up at an English club. Don't even think he'd want that himself either.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Umm, we're not a selling club who looks to make big money off its assets. If the management still considers Rooney an asset on the pitch, we won't be looking to sell him just to make big money.

One would think you're talking about Aston Villa or Fulham here.
I was working on the assumption that we don't see him staying at the top, condition or performance wise. If that is the case then we will sell him. We're no mugs, we won't let him go for peanuts or offer him even more wages for less of a return over the duration of the contract.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I find it amazing how under-rated he is on here now.

Seeing the effect Van Persie has had on us would make it suicide to sell him to a Premiership rival.

Say what you want, but he is one of our most influential players. The stats back that up for this year in what was meant to be a poor season for him

If we sell him to Chelsea then i'd make them favourites for the title next season.

If he's going, he has to go abroad. We need to look after our own interests, not just the players.
This time last year he had scored one more league goal than RVP has gotten this season.

But now Rooney is a sunday league player.

Same with Valencia, whose excllent season last year was also forgotten. But at least with Rooney he has had quite a few good moments this year.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
I was working on the assumption that we don't see him staying at the top, condition or performance wise. If that is the case then we will sell him. We're no mugs, we won't let him go for peanuts or offer him even more wages for less of a return over the duration of the contract.
Not sure about that. The last time he taxed our patience he got his own way.

hp88

I don't think the club are concerned about transfer fees, just look at the Berbatov deal. We bought him for £30m and sold him on for £5m, If we wanted maximum return on our outlay then he would have been sold a year earlier.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Might sound stupid to some but who would you rather see Chelsea sign? Someone like Falcao or Rooney?
It is stupid.

If Chelsea sign Rooney then, that will not weaken their squad. Absolutely laughable to suggest such a thing. Whether it will strengthen their squad as much if they signed Falcao is debatable but I'd say if Rooney can regain his best form (And there's no reason why he should not) then he's a better player than Falcao.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It is stupid.

If Chelsea sign Rooney then, that will not weaken their squad. Absolutely laughable to suggest such a thing. Whether it will strengthen their squad as much if they signed Falcao is debatable but I'd say if Rooney can regain his best form (And there's no reason why he should not) then he's a better player than Falcao.
Not sure you can say at both their heights that Rooney was better without red glasses, both very very good but to say Rooney was better I can't agree, they were on a very similar level at their peak in form IMO, just slightly behind Messi/ Ronaldo, a few years back when Rooney was banging them in (09?) I think it was acknowledged that he was no.3 in the world... as it was last year that Falcao was there or there abouts...

bananaman

Lads its all sorted, I had a dream last night that Rooney had a baby girl and called her Alex, I got my picture taken with him the baby and Fergie.
So dont worry everything will work out :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.