Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_G

It's Wayne Rooney, one of the biggest names in football and he's arguably been our best player or there abouts since Ronaldo left.

I think that selling a player of such a high profile to a domestic rival sends out more wrong messages than anything. I can't see us doing it, no matter what the offer.
Well depends on the context, it would be weak if we wanted to keep him and couldn't but if he's asked for a transfer for whatever reason, ie in this case apparently cause we don't rate him as highly as he rates himself then what's wrong with us selling him for a fee that we think is at least what he's worth to us or more and we're not fussed over keeping him. Particularly if we then reinvest that money.

The alternative is that unless you can sell abroad if you don't rate one of your star players as highly as you used to and would rather the cash you'd just have too keep him until no one big wanted him.

Sir A1ex

Of course, presuming we refuse to sell within England, there's nothing to stop a club doing a variation of the Spurs-Fryers manoeuvre on a much bigger scale, and agreeing a deal with a European club to give them a couple of million Euros profit as a "handling fee".

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
can anyone really see Rooney succeeding abroad? He doesn't seem the most cultured chap, and would be utterly out of his comfort zone.

And could you see Real, Bayern, or Barcelona getting involved?
Outside of those 3, it'd be somekind of step down, whether in league or club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Of course, presuming we refuse to sell within England, there's nothing to stop a club doing a variation of the Spurs-Fryers manoeuvre on a much bigger scale, and agreeing a deal with a European club to give them a couple of million Euros profit as a "handling fee".
except for putting a clause in there.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It isn't necessarily the transfer fee that is the benefit. Say the following options are:

a) Selling Rooney to Chelsea for £50m; or

b) Rooney signing a 3 year contract extension extension.

The difference between keeping Rooney for 5 years and selling him is c.£110m. Obviously the squad could be strengthened significantly with this kind of budget (on top of our normal budget) and it is likely the manager will be seriously looking at a totally different set of players.

Saying "what difference is £15m going to make", isn't a true reflection of the costs involved.
My point isn't the semantics of the costs, it's the fact that the money is the smallest of problems.

We have Rooney, he's a fecking good player despite what you might read at the moment. If we then lose Rooney we'll be weakend. If Chelsea get Rooney they'll be strengthened.

It's just a complete and utter no brainer that you don't let one of your best players go to your rivals.

Look at Tevez for example, it's not the best example as he's had his troubles and the transfer has been out of our hands but see how he performed for them in the closing stages of last season. Had we not lost him to City and had he not made that contribution (it wasn't many goals or assists but his all round play really boosted City), I doubt they'd have won the league. That's the sort of margins you are looking at.

Now for the sake of a bit more money, which I really don't think we are short of, why would we weaken ourselves and strengthen our rivals?

Amir

A small club in Belgium may do that with a cheap player, but what side in Europe, big enough to buy Rooney, would go into such deals with a third club? And why? A couple of millions will not be a reason enough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A small club in Belgium may do that with a cheap player, but what side in Europe, big enough to buy Rooney, would go into such deals with a third club? And why? A couple of millions will not be a reason enough.
Agreed. Noone really gave a sh!T about Fryers, as he's small fry, won't ever become aplayer, and is pretty inconsquential in thre scheme of things.

If a club tried to pull such a stunt with a Rooney there'd be all hell to pay.

Andrew~

I'm fairly sure there are suggestions that Balloteli used his move to City as a bridge towards an eventual move to AC Milan.

finneh

My point isn't the semantics of the costs, it's the fact that the money is the smallest of problems.

We have Rooney, he's a fecking good player despite what you might read at the moment. If we then lose Rooney we'll be weakend. If Chelsea get Rooney they'll be strengthened.

It's just a complete and utter no brainer that you don't let one of your best players go to your rivals.

Look at Tevez for example, it's not the best example as he's had his troubles and the transfer has been out of our hands but see how he performed for them in the closing stages of last season. Had we not lost him to City and had he not made that contribution (it wasn't many goals or assists but his all round play really boosted City), I doubt they'd have won the league. That's the sort of margins you are looking at.

Now for the sake of a bit more money, which I really don't think we are short of, why would we weaken ourselves and strengthen our rivals?
It'll be up to the manager to decide whether Rooney's presence will be detrimental to the team.

As I said before the fact it's Chelsea is immaterial, whether they get Rooney or Falcao, or Cavani, or Lewandowski etc they'll be (equally in my opinion) strong. Whether we are the beneficiaries of a massive transfer chunk or another club is the only question.

Personally I'd prefer us to get a huge cash injection and them to get a 28 year old Rooney, rather than another club get it for a 25 year old Lewandowski, 26 year old Cavani or a 27 year old Falcao. Not least because I think they are all better poachers, which is exactly what Chelsea need.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Actually Chelsea doesnt make sense... their attacking midfielders are better (or just as good) than Rooney. If he were to replace Torres, yeah, might improve them a little bit, but Torres is starting to score more often, they have Lukaku and Demba Ba...

They need to improve others areas... maybe none... i think Mou is all they need really.

Barcelona make more sense... they need a striker!!

A swap for Sanchez? make even more sense...

Anyway, we will not sell him to Chelsea because we are manchester united. We dont need to and we dont want to. Silly, very silly if people actually believes we will do that.
:houllier: Some of this is just daft man.

Chelsea are probably the most desperate of the 'big teams' for a striker right now. They are crying out for a Falcao, Cavani, Lewandowski or Rooney. Of course he would improve them playing up top in place of Torres.

He's played deeper for us these last few seasons but if he did move to Chelsea he would be back as a number 9 again, which we know he can do - the last time he played there he scored 34 goals.

'Mou is all they need' - get a grip. If Chelsea bring Mourinho in but don't sign anyone they'll be lucky to get 3rd, regardless of the 'special one'

I agree Barcelona need a striker but most disagree and would prefer to keep Messi there. If they are sticking with their current system then Rooney won't be able to start as a striker because he doesn't have a hope of displacing Messi, so I dunno, I'd be surprised if they signed Rooney to play him wide like they did with Villa. It would just be a waste.

Zen

All of a sudden he's on 300k......I love how his wages all over the shop....you get reports from like 150k to 300k. It's baffling.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm disgusted that £150k-a-week Wayne Rooney is on £220k a week. £250k a week? He's not worth a penny more than £300k.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
:houllier: Some of this is just daft man.

Chelsea are probably the most desperate of the 'big teams' for a striker right now. They are crying out for a Falcao, Cavani, Lewandowski or Rooney. Of course he would improve them playing up top in place of Torres.

He's played deeper for us these last few seasons but if he did move to Chelsea he would be back as a number 9 again, which we know he can do - the last time he played there he scored 34 goals.

'Mou is all they need' - get a grip. If Chelsea bring Mourinho in but don't sign anyone they'll be lucky to get 3rd, regardless of the 'special one'

I agree Barcelona need a striker but most disagree and would prefer to keep Messi there. If they are sticking with their current system then Rooney won't be able to start as a striker because he doesn't have a hope of displacing Messi, so I dunno, I'd be surprised if they signed Rooney to play him wide like they did with Villa. It would just be a waste.
Chelsea is not crying for a striker... they need a CB to replace Terry and a couple of midfielders to replace/upgrade Lampard and Mikel more than a striker. Torres has been average, yes, but he has also scored some very important goals. And if he doesnt score, they have plenty of goal threats... Demba Ba is just in his first season with them... will be better next season.

Of course they can improve with Rooney, but not worthy the 50M that would have to pay for him minimun.

If Zlatan leaves PSG, they might need him much more...

As things goes... i think Monaco, PSG, barcelona or real madrid are the only possible destinations for Rooney.

hp88

Chelsea is not crying for a striker... they need a CB to replace Terry and a couple of midfielders to replace/upgrade Lampard and Mikel more than a striker. Torres has been average, yes, but he has also scored some very important goals. And if he doesnt score, they have plenty of goal threats... Demba Ba is just in his first season with them... will be better next season.

Of course they can improve with Rooney, but not worthy the 50M that would have to pay for him minimun.

If Zlatan leaves PSG, they might need him much more...

As things goes... i think Monaco, PSG, barcelona or real madrid are the only possible destinations for Rooney.
I can't see Torres staying at Chelsea, he might have scored a few goals in the Europa League but his form in the Premiership is shocking, 8 goals from 28 starts just isn't good enough for a team like Chelsea. They will replace him with someone in summer whether it's Rooney or Falcao they will definitely be stronger up front.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I can't see Torres staying at Chelsea, he might have scored a few goals in the Europa League but his form in the Premiership is shocking, 8 goals from 28 starts just isn't good enough for a team like Chelsea. They will replace him with someone in summer whether it's Rooney or Falcao they will definitely be stronger up front.
Im open to anything... :cool:

Torres might deserve a third? chance, or he might as well deserve a walk to the exit door.

But Rooney to Chelsea wont happen. Its common sense (i know nowadays this word doesnt apply to world football, but i still think it apply to us).

wr8_utd

:'(
It'll be up to the manager to decide whether Rooney's presence will be detrimental to the team.

As I said before the fact it's Chelsea is immaterial, whether they get Rooney or Falcao, or Cavani, or Lewandowski etc they'll be (equally in my opinion) strong. Whether we are the beneficiaries of a massive transfer chunk or another club is the only question.

Personally I'd prefer us to get a huge cash injection and them to get a 28 year old Rooney, rather than another club get it for a 25 year old Lewandowski, 26 year old Cavani or a 27 year old Falcao. Not least because I think they are all better poachers, which is exactly what Chelsea need.
None of the strikers you have mentioned are really a viable option for Chelsea though. Lewandowski is surely off to Munich, Falcao is off to Monaco with this 3rd part ownership issues and Cavani seems far too expensive.

Rooney is the best they can get and he's gotten 15 goals this season after being injured a number of times, being shifted around so RvP can be the main man and with the shit service of Young and Valencia. Rooney behind Mata, OScar and Hazard would be frightening so yes, we better make sure we don't sell to them!

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Will we need to score as many goals next season as we scored in this term? The answer is no

What we need, especially in Europe, is strength at the back and in the middle of the park. If Nani goes we should go for a big name on the wings, but it's not utterly indispensable to sign a striker if no opportunity arises.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24

Since when was £80-90m mere semantics are just "a bit more money" by the way?

United as a club are in the second tier when it comes to resources, we have to operate within our set limits.

Rooney may well be a top player on his day but his reliability is in serious doubt, to say nothing of purchases necessary elsewhere in the squad. City can afford to take the risk financially and obviously don't mind having a dressing room where personality is king, the same is not the case at OT nor should it be as far as the latter goes.

Whoever we take the money from, Paris Saint-Germain or Roman, Moyes isn't going to stand idly by all bloody summer now is he.

Eugenius

No fecking way we should sell him to Chelsea. He'd score 35 goals as the focal striker ahead of Mata, Oscar and Hazard

talking robot

in the worst case, we keep him for another year. dont forget he has two years to run on his contract. at this point we are holding all the cards.

Danillaco

I was thinking about a swap between Rooney and Ronaldo. Wouldn't that make sense? Wayne wanting to go, Ronaldo wanting to leave them. I would love it, especially with Shinji being his beautiful AM self.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I was thinking about a swap between Rooney and Ronaldo. Wouldn't that make sense? Wayne wanting to go, Ronaldo wanting to leave them. I would love it, especially with Shinji being his beautiful AM self.
It doesn't make too much sense at all. We don't know if Ronaldo wants to leave Madrid, we don't know if Madrid want Rooney, and the fact Ronaldo would probably be twice the value of Rooney.

We can still dream though.

fatboy

If he really needs to move, I'm just hoping that somehow he doesn't stay in the Premiership. A highly motivated Rooney playing against us is not a good thing. I'd rather have him stay here though, hopefully Moyes taking over will give him fresh impetus.

binary bot
Wayne Rooney ‏@WayneRooney 10m

Our Beautiful Son Klay Anthony Rooney was born at 2.11am, Weighing 7Ib 11.1/2 oz. Both Klay and Coleen are fine..... We're all delighted!!

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Kai, Klay, maybe try for a different letter.

Kenny could come round with some t-shirts perhaps, Rooney dressed up like Oliver Twist playing in midfield.

Congrats Wayne and Coleen. So that's Kai for the Everton academy and United get Klay then?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Feck him off, play Kagawa as a 10 and buy a real central midfielder. Please.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Feck him off, play Kagawa as a 10 and buy a real central midfielder. Please.
Hernandez and Kagawa deserve more game time. Get rid.
Hmmmm. Who exactly filled in when Kagawa was injured for almost 3 months? Who was scoring when RVP was out of form for 10 games? You always need good attacking options. If God forbid one of Rooney or Kagawa were to get injured, we have the other to fill in. Just dont make blind comments because you hate him due to this contract issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.