Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

None of the strikers you have mentioned are really a viable option for Chelsea though. Lewandowski is surely off to Munich, Falcao is off to Monaco with this 3rd part ownership issues and Cavani seems far too expensive.

Rooney is the best they can get and he's gotten 15 goals this season after being injured a number of times, being shifted around so RvP can be the main man and with the shit service of Young and Valencia. Rooney behind Mata, OScar and Hazard would be frightening so yes, we better make sure we don't sell to them!
So Rooney for £50m wouldn't be a problem, but Cavani would be too expensive? Don't be absurd. I also haven't heard anything official regarding Falcao or Lewandowski and I'm sure £50m could lure either player.

Rooney behind Mata, Oscar and Hazard would be a central midfielder (where he's not very good)... If you mean Rooney in front of them he'd be less prolific than the aforementioned three. Hell with £50m they could get Suarez, who'd command less wages and be equally as prolific.

The biggest indictment of all is that the Chelsea fans on this board have already said they would prefer other options for the amount Rooney would cost. Likewise if I was a fan of a top team I'd think we'd be mad to splash £50m on Rooney.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Rooney behind Mata, Oscar and Hazard would be a central midfielder (where he's not very good)... If you mean Rooney in front of them he'd be less prolific than the aforementioned three. Hell with £50m they could get Suarez, who'd command less wages and be equally as prolific.
You keep saying that as if it's a given and a fecking fact. Last season all the 4 mentioned players right up top as center forwards and Rooney had the best goals/games ratio out of all of them.

finneh

You keep saying that as if it's a given and a fecking fact. Last season all the 4 mentioned players right up top as center forwards and Rooney had the best goals/games ratio out of all of them.
Actually I keep saying that as if it's an opinion - if you re-read my posts the vast majority state "in my opinion". Rooney isn't a born poacher. He has had a couple of really good seasons where it's all come together, but in terms of consistency he's not a natural number 9, in my opinion.

If you think he's one of the world's best poachers/goalscorers, then fair enough. I however vehemently disagree with this, he's not even in the top 10 in this position in my opinion (as it's not his position).

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Actually I keep saying that as if it's an opinion - if you re-read my posts the vast majority state "in my opinion". Rooney isn't a born poacher. He has had a couple of really good seasons where it's all come together, but in terms of consistency he's not a natural number 9, in my opinion.

If you think he's one of the world's best poachers/goalscorers, then fair enough. I however vehemently disagree with this, he's not even in the top 10 in this position in my opinion (as it's not his position).
No, I don't think he's one of the world's best poachers. In fact it would be a waste of his talents playing him that way. I would argue the argument that Chelsea definitely need an out and out poacher and this absurd idea that buying Rooney would weaken their squad when compared to a Falcao. A fully fit and in form Rooney lining up along side the creative talents of Chelsea is far more threatening prospect than Falcao who compared to Rooney is quite a limited player.

This argument is rather pointless as I don't see us selling him to Chelsea anyway

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If you actually play Rooney at the top of the formation he scores lots of goals. If I was him, I would be a bit frustrated that I always do the business leading the line and yet don't get played there much anymore.

Lets not forget Rooney had 34 goals the one season he consistently played furthest forward (2009-10), compared to 30 for Persie this season. I'm sure plenty of people would rather Rooney play ahead of Persie in the formation.

Personally I leave such questions to those who are better qualified to make them. ;)

Zen86

No, I don't think he's one of the world's best poachers. In fact it would be a waste of his talents playing him that way. I would argue the argument that Chelsea definitely need an out and out poacher and this absurd idea that buying Rooney would weaken their squad when compared to a Falcao. A fully fit and in form Rooney lining up along side the creative talents of Chelsea is far more threatening prospect than Falcao who compared to Rooney is quite a limited player.

This argument is rather pointless as I don't see us selling him to Chelsea anyway
You go on about how limited Falcao is like its a bad thing. They need a goalscorer, something which Falcao has proved to be pretty lethal at.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
You go on about how limited Falcao is like its a bad thing. They need a goalscorer, something which Falcao has proved to be pretty lethal at.
Something which Rooney was better at last season than Falcao.

Why would I take Falcao when I can get a better all round player who can also bang in the goals when played up top?

finneh

Something which Rooney was better at last season than Falcao.

Why would I take Falcao when I can get a better all round player who can also bang in the goals when played up top?
Probably because a lot of people don't feel that Rooney could consistently get those returns... One (or 2) swallows don't make a Summer. If he could he'd have established himself as a "number 9" years ago.

I bet if you asked every Chelsea fan, the majority would prefer Hernandez over Rooney... And Hernandez isn't (yet) as good as Falcao.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Probably because a lot of people don't feel that Rooney could consistently get those returns... One (or 2) swallows don't make a Summer. If he could he'd have established himself as a "number 9" years ago.

I bet if you asked every Chelsea fan, the majority would prefer Hernandez over Rooney... And Hernandez isn't (yet) as good as Falcao.
We're going round in circles but a lot of people would say that in the two seasons Rooney has played as a true number 9 he has scored in upwards of 30 goals.

Frankly I would call them idiots and this coming from a self confessed Hernandez fanboy.

vanrooney

Rooney is much more than a goalscorer, he is a player that is willing to do everything for the team as shown in recent years. Not many players of his caliber would be willing to fight at left back at times or go out on the wing when needed. I can understand him from a professional point of few that he is angry about being left out of some really important games this year. In fact it would be sad if he wasnt upset. Time will tell if he stays here and if he goes United wont collapse of course as no player is that important but it would be a very good player gone nonetheless. All in all Rooney had 29 goals or assists this year (apparently a shit contribution) while rvp had 39. Its not only about replacing the goals and assists if rooney goes but the determination and defensive work too.

wr8_utd

:'(
Doesn't consistently get good returns? He has 197 goals in 9 years despite not always being played up top. Falcao has a good year or two in leagues where it's far easier to score and people suddenly think the likes of Rooney aren't as good?

lysglimt

Scout
Maybe he named him after the greatest boxer of all time but didnt spell it correctly.

he seems to like the letter K thats for sure.

So if I was that kid I'd just be thankful I avoided Kermit and keep my head down.
I actually know of a guy called Kermit

finneh

We're going round in circles but a lot of people would say that in the two seasons Rooney has played as a true number 9 he has scored in upwards of 30 goals.

Frankly I would call them idiots and this coming from a self confessed Hernandez fanboy.
Doesn't consistently get good returns? He has 197 goals in 9 years despite not always being played up top. Falcao has a good year or two in leagues where it's far easier to score and people suddenly think the likes of Rooney aren't as good?
It's the bolded that is the issue. The people who are massive Rooney fans suggest he's only ever been our main man for two seasons and scored 35 each time, the fact is he's been the "main man" minimum 4, probably 5 seasons. If that weren't the case then he would be played in that position every season, because a consistent 35 goal a season striker is worth their weight in gold - like Henry, RVN, Shearer or now RVP. Now is anyone truly suggesting Rooney would ever get Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy returns even semi-consistently? I really can't imagine so. Rooney has scored 197 goals in 400 games. That is not the return of a truly prolific goalscorer (despite being a very good return), because Rooney isn't that player. If you believe that he's never been the opportunity then I urge you to look at the reason why.

In the Chelsea team to utilise Rooney best he would be competing for a place in the team with the other player in their team that plays centrally and is responsible for being creative - Mata. If they had £50m to spend on a poacher though they would not be looking to buy a player and play him in his second best position, particularly when there are several quality players out there who are "available".

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
While he admits to having clear the air talks with Ferguson, as he sought assurances about his future, Rooney remains adamant that no formal transfer request was put in.

That is an official course of action in which the player puts his request in writing and waives his right to a pay-off - and Rooney maintains that has simply never happened, despite United public claims to the contrary.
Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ey-1902941#.UZvqz7CWFUM.twitter#ixzz2Ty4eHL9j
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Are they fed by Wayne's PR agency? There are no direct quotes and Wayne has never denied the transfer request.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Just one question (I'm not British): I've seen many derogatory comments under the Daily Mail article regarding Wayne naming his boy Klay. What is wrong with Clay/Klay? Other than being too close to Kai it doesn't sound that unusual to me?
Dunno, don't read the daily mail ever so I can't comment.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
Of course his agent and PR company is feeding all of this bollocks to the media, if Fergie was lying, then Rooney and his agent should be taking legal action against him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
ghaliboy said:
it looks as though Roon has had the baby there..
If he's capable of miracles like that, it's no wonder we can't match his ambitions. :D

SteveJ

Scout
Yup. His hair can't match Wayne's ambitions.

Brightonian

It's the bolded that is the issue. The people who are massive Rooney fans suggest he's only ever been our main man for two seasons and scored 35 each time, the fact is he's been the "main man" minimum 4, probably 5 seasons. If that weren't the case then he would be played in that position every season, because a consistent 35 goal a season striker is worth their weight in gold - like Henry, RVN, Shearer or now RVP. Now is anyone truly suggesting Rooney would ever get Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy returns even semi-consistently? I really can't imagine so. Rooney has scored 197 goals in 400 games. That is not the return of a truly prolific goalscorer (despite being a very good return), because Rooney isn't that player. If you believe that he's never been the opportunity then I urge you to look at the reason why.

In the Chelsea team to utilise Rooney best he would be competing for a place in the team with the other player in their team that plays centrally and is responsible for being creative - Mata. If they had £50m to spend on a poacher though they would not be looking to buy a player and play him in his second best position, particularly when there are several quality players out there who are "available".
Ignore whether or not I agree with akash or wr8's point, but you are just completely ignoring them. You're saying 'Rooney hasn't scored goals consistently enough over the course of his career to be considered a top goalscorer like RVP'. Their original point was that in every season that he's been played as a genuine front man, he has indeed scored 30+ goals. In seasons when he hasn't produced that, it's been because he hasn't really been playing up front. So what's your point?

SteveJ

Scout
Perhaps that bit about Hart is old news, and relates to the previous 'Rooney leaving' business, when SAF suspected it was City that Wayne wanted to join?

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Are they fed by Wayne's PR agency? There are no direct quotes and Wayne has never denied the transfer request.
Evidently.

I bet it's semantics. Rooney probably asked Fergie to sell him on, just never officially handed in a transfer request.

He's trying to save face in the event he isn't moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.