Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Regardless of the pro and contra arguments...why hasn't he come out & said that he wants to stay?

This, for me there's big changes afoot at Old Trafford... this is just the quiet before the storm.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
What's so hard to understand?

On form Rooney is an automatic starter every day of the week. Nobody want's him to leave if he just do his best and as the clubs highest earner show expected commitment.

On the other hand if he time's to time in two seasons underperform, not always do his best, don't take care of himself properly and most important send in two written/verbal transfer request, is it Ok for some of us to question his position and loyalty? Some of the arguments in this thread is so immature and weird that I'm sometimes lost for words. What the feck have buying Thiago with Rooney's behavior to do? Who says we only want foreign fancy players? In fact as far as I know everybody loves players like Jones and Wellbeck, so this view doesn't add up to the reality.

Wayne Rooney is judged on his own merits! In my opinion is simple and without agenda. If he come out and say he's sorry and regret himself, show up on pre season fit and hungry, then I'm willing to forgive him and support him the way I always have done. If he continue to be silent, I read his name connected to other clubs without any denial and I see pics of him with cigarettes and drinks then I want him to feck off! Any questions?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
A lot of the people posting on this thread who have supported Rooney have acknowledged his failings:

Needs to improve his fitness
Had an average season despite his stats.
So that alone is your summary of the argument in favour of him leaving?

Zen86

Good reflection of your posts in this thread actually

You go beyond trying to provide a valid counter argument to stimulate discussion and don't acknowledge the other side at all.

Anyway there's nothing new in here so I'll probably stay out until there is anything worthwhile to discuss.
There's plenty of discussion from me buried in this thread, but why trouble yourself with that eh?

Bye.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
So that alone is your summary of the argument in favour of him leaving?
Well as I have said before if he desperately wants to leave then he should be allowed to do so but the feeling I've had is that the this transfer request was more out of frustration than anything else which is why he has been advised to think about the future by the likes of Neville and Fergie.

Platato

Psst!
Let's try something different in this thread. I don't how to make polls but I'll try to preface this post as one. If Ronaldo is coming back this summer, do you think this will cause Rooney to stay?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
We had the ancelloti wants him at madrid stories yet?

Someone

Something
What's so hard to understand?

On form Rooney is an automatic starter every day of the week. Nobody want's him to leave if he just do his best and as the clubs highest earner show expected commitment.

On the other hand if he time's to time in two seasons underperform, not always do his best, don't take care of himself properly and most important send in two written/verbal transfer request, is it Ok for some of us to question his position and loyalty? Some of the arguments in this thread is so immature and weird that I'm sometimes lost for words. What the feck have buying Thiago with Rooney's behavior to do? Who says we only want foreign fancy players? In fact as far as I know everybody loves players like Jones and Wellbeck, so this view doesn't add up to the reality.

Wayne Rooney is judged on his own merits! In my opinion is simple and without agenda. If he come out and say he's sorry and regret himself, show up on pre season fit and hungry, then I'm willing to forgive him and support him the way I always have done. If he continue to be silent, I read his name connected to other clubs without any denial and I see pics of him with cigarettes and drinks then I want him to feck off! Any questions?

This.

I'm sure moyes would love to have a fit and committed rooney, but rooney should never expect to be an automatic starter even when he's shit, no one can guarantee him that, not even a new club.

And whether he stays or goes, i've no worries about the club whatsoever, we've survived better players, cantona, beckham, rvn and ronaldo. Life goes on.

Amir

Wayne Rooney will tell David Moyes that he wants a fresh start at Manchester United when he holds his first serious discussions with the new manager this week.
Moyes left for his summer break intending to keep the striker at Old Trafford so there is hope on both sides that Rooney's future can be settled and talks can then move on to a fresh deal.
Only two years remain on Rooney's current £300,000-a-week contract and if fresh terms can be agreed they will be on a more incentivised basis, in line with a widespread move in the domestic game.
Rooney's desire is to remain at United because he recognises a transfer at this point of his career to any other English club represents a step down. He has no wish to uproot his young family, following last month's birth of his second son, Klay, and with his wife, Coleen, settled in the north-west, a move abroad is not his preferred option.
Rooney and Moyes have not yet been able to meet because the forward's former manager at Everton does not officially succeed Sir Alex Ferguon until 1 July and both have been on holiday.
They return this week and Rooney will begin talks with his priority to indicate to Moyes that despite difficulties under Ferguson last season, he wishes to remain at United.
With incentives, Rooney's current deal makes him the Premier League's highest paid footballer with earnings of about £300,000 a week. Of this the basic salary is close to the £250,000 mark. But following the trend of other Premier League clubs, United will not wish to offer such a high base-level again to the player who agitated for a move to rivals Manchester City in October 2010, only to be persuaded by Ferguson to stay.
As with Yaya Touré's recently signed contract at Manchester City, any new deal will be more heavily incentivised, raising the prospect that Rooney could again earn close to his current level of pay.
Although United maintain Rooney is not for sale, if negotiations between the two sides did break down the best course for both player and club might be for him to leave. The difficulty, though, lies in the limited number of suitors who could match United's £35m valuation – though they may have to accept closer to £25m – and Rooney's wage demands.
Chelsea are thought to retain an interest in him and their head coach, José Mourinho, recently said: "Rooney is at a fantastic age. He has maturity, big experience and he's still young. It's up to him what he wants, what makes him happy."
Arsenal have also indicated that they could now afford a player of Rooney's status, with Ivan Gazidis, the chief executive, making the claim at the start of the month. Last season representatives of Paris Saint-Germain – a club which, like City, is backed by oil-rich owners – also revealed their admiration for him.
Rooney's future is in the balance after an uneven season for United in which Ferguson repeatedly played him out of position and dropped him for the campaign's biggest match, the Champions League last-16 second leg against Real Madrid at Old Trafford in March.
Last month Rooney met Ferguson to discuss his prospects at United, and the forward requested to leave in the summer if he could not be guaranteed a regular starting place. Yet the meeting occurred before Ferguson announced his retirement, and the dynamic has changed markedly following Moyes's arrival.
Rooney played under Moyes when he made his professional debut at Everton in 2002 and despite relations breaking down after the Scot sued the forward for comments written in his autobiography there are no unresolved issues between them.
Three years ago Rooney telephoned Moyes to apologise for his comments, a decision the 50-year-old manager has since publicly praised.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/22/manchester-united-wayne-rooney?CMP=twt_gu

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yet another piece which conveniently omits mentioning Ferguson's obvious exasperation with Rooney, and the possible reason(s) for that exasperation; but, oh no, big bad Sir Alex is to blame:

Ferguson repeatedly played him out of position and dropped him for the campaign's biggest match
Still, I guess it was about time we had another leaked puff-piece from Rooney's people; it's been at least ten minutes since the last one...

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's great cant wait for the 2015 instalment of Rooney leaving.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Sir Alex: "We're not letting him leave"

The Caf (in general): "feck's sake, why can't we get rid of the fat, useless, Scouse cnut"

Heh. Wr8's adoration for him is a little bizarre, sure, but the number of people butt-hurt over their former favourite player breaking their hearts is the strangest part of it all. Amusing though.

Note: No Zen/Steve, this doesn't mean everyone that wants him sold are acting like heart-borken teenagers. Just a lot of them.

Castia

Guardian saying he wants a fresh start...the Star saying he's on the way to Madrid as part of a deal to bring Ronaldo back. Just like the Thiago deal nobody has a fooking clue whats happening.

7dan

Its getting tickly now–squeaky-bum time, I call it
Hes had his chance, in fact he has had two. Get rid of him, new era for United is dawning and personally i hope Rooney is not here to enjoy the sunshine. Im sure he can find plenty clubs that match his high ambitions and play him all the time in the position he wants.

Tibs

Hes had his chance, in fact he has had two. Get rid of him, new era for United is dawning and personally i hope Rooney is not here to enjoy the sunshine. Im sure he can find plenty clubs that match his high ambitions and play him all the time in the position he wants.
No he can't

Castia

I think it's time he left. There shouldn't be any coming back from 2 transfer requests in the space of 3 years it's ridiculous.
Im sure he expected a queue of top clubs being in for him though, it looks like there's nobody willing to buy him at the moment.

The Neviller

I'd rather Rooney stay then be sold, but if he were to move to Madrid as part of a deal to bring Ronaldo back I think I'd cope with it.

The Neviller

Why do papers try and stick figures on players wages? They clearly have no clue what individual players earn, since every time they report it their figures are different.

Sports journalism in this country is a bit of a joke.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It'd be interesting to see how they would try to smooth things over P.R.-wise if he did stay - he hasn't said a word for weeks now whilst the idea of him wanting out has been festering with the supporters and stirred by the media, and now there's a chance that the first words of his commitment to us will be accompanied by another huge contract, which would just piss the fans off even more.

Silence has doubtless been the best course of action, but it hasn't created an environment that will help convince anyone of his loyalty to the club if he stays.

The Neviller

If he gets a new contract I don't think I'd give a shit. If he's staying I'd rather it was on a long term deal. I don't really care how much he gets paid.

The Neviller

But what kinda message does that send out to players?? play mediocre/shit and put in a transfer request....... well here is a raise sir
I don't think he's been shit, and I think those who say he has are talking bollocks because of the fact that they dislike him because of what he did last time.

Dominos

ok mediocre?? and he certainly has not played well enough to justify a new contract. There is zero chance of him getting an improved contract anyway imo
A new contract is for the club's benefit not just Rooney's, we can't have him with 1 year left on his deal or leaving on a free.

As for playing well enough to get a new contract, we have had far worse and less important players get contract extensions over the years, he was by far our most productive player last season and our 2nd most productive player this season. To suggest he's been so bad we can no longer keep him at the club is just ludicrous.

Amir

It'd be interesting to see how they would try to smooth things over P.R.-wise if he did stay - he hasn't said a word for weeks now whilst the idea of him wanting out has been festering with the supporters and stirred by the media, and now there's a chance that the first words of his commitment to us will be accompanied by another huge contract, which would just piss the fans off even more.

Silence has doubtless been the best course of action, but it hasn't created an environment that will help convince anyone of his loyalty to the club if he stays.
Well, it's obvious where the recent articles - today included - which insist that Rooney did NOT ask for a transfer and was misunderstood come from.

To be fair, I don't mind it. Nor do I think it should be a case of 'strike 2, you're out'. It's all about what he can do for us on the pitch and whether he can return to his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.