Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Winger

Get real man, we all know you love Kagawa and we all know that Rooney, in a way, prevents him from playing in his best position. How do you measure if this or that player deserve those wages anyway ? The only way Rooney would accept a pay cut would be if he was on his late 30s and wanted to absolutely stay at the club.

It's about we stop comparing what would happen in our daily jobs if we were to behave like some of the most arrogant and cnut players because it's pointless. Pro footballers in the top leagues live in a very much different world than most of us.
This has absolutely nothing to do with my Kagawa man love. It's about the fact that Rooney isn't bigger than the club. Not even close. And I don't think that he's essential for our future success either.

I wouldn't have given him another chance now, and I don't understand how anyone would. But if that's United decision, then so be it. My love for the club isn't going away because of this. But Rooney is almost dead to me. He really has to move heaven and earth in order to win back just a fraction of my respect.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This has absolutely nothing to do with my Kagawa man love. It's about the fact that Rooney isn't bigger than the club. Not even close. And I don't think that he's essential for our future success either.

I wouldn't have given him another chance now, and I don't understand how anyone would. But if that's United decision, then so be it. My love for the club isn't going away because of this. But Rooney is almost dead to me. He really has to move heaven and earth in order to win back just a fraction of my respect.
:lol:

Platato

Psst!
It's not simply a case of Fergie said it. Look at the context of the situation. Fergie simply said he asked to leave. Rooney's camp spins the story by crowing Rooney never submitted a formal transfer request. We all know he didn't otherwise it would be well-known information. So his camp is just arguing against something which is non-existent. And somehow I'm supposed to think they're more credible than a manager who's about to retire? You should use "try to keep an open mind" otherwise you have put yourself in a perpetual circle of being open to every possibility. This includes the possibility that you are open to the fact that you are completely wrong which doesn't really help what your point. Plus Rooney has requested to leave before right? the history of the situation is not in Rooney's favour. That is his fault.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
To take Rooneys word above anyone, let alone SAF, is fecking stupid.
Fergie's words may be holier than thou to you mate, but permit others to have an open mind.

This includes the possibility that you are open to the fact that you are completely wrong which doesn't really help what your point. Plus Rooney has requested to leave before right? the history of the situation is not in Rooney's favour. That is his fault.
I understand and did believe so before...but since reading latest articles, I'm not sure if Fergie was playing some of his mind games paving the way for Rooney to leave. So as I said "keeing an open mind" I will wait & watch for United'd reaction. My response was only against the Top Red arguements like "Surely Fergie's words are holier than Rooney's" kind of statements.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Your position makes perfect sense and I agree to it but not the point where I think Rooney has to take a pay cut as some sort of punishment. Whether he stays or goes, at this point, I honestly couldn't care anymore. I think you just went OTT. No such thing as a pay cut will ever be proposed by the club nor accepted by Rooney as things stands. Pro football works on other rules

Mad Winger

Your position makes perfect sense and I agree to it but not the point where I think Rooney has to take a pay cut as some sort of punishment. Whether he stays or goes, at this point, I honestly couldn't care anymore. I think you just went OTT. No such thing as a pay cut will ever be proposed by the club nor accepted by Rooney as things stands. Pro football works on other rules
Then professional football is beyond stupid.

We all laughed at City for taking Tevez back into the warmth and for enduring Balotelli's antics for a long time. We all laughed at Liverpool for defending Suarez and wanting him to stay, despite being the biggest cnut in the universe. Well, if we allow Rooney to stay now, then we can never laugh at anyone ever again. We've succumbed to a player who's not even that good and let him boss us around and treat us like crap, several times. It makes us a bit pathetic, doesn't it?

binary bot
Let me play the devil's advocate here...

The rumours started immediately after Roo was dropped for the Madrid match. He was the point man till then, suddenly finds himself upstaged by RvP and then dropped for the biggest game of the season...ofcourse it is a cause of concern and a hotpot for rumours!

If Fergie has decided to drop Roo off, what better excuse can he provide Moyes?

If you look at the latest articles about Roo asking for a apology for the untrue statements....and United hasn't yet commented on it. It looks like United who will be bcking off this confrontation.

But either way, think we will know better when United reacts!
The rumours with some substance started a few days prior to the interview, a good while after the Madrid match.

Why would he want to drop Rooney off? There's absolutely no clear benefit to it. The last thing that Fergie would be looking to do is create more unsolved problems for Moyes or heap more pressure on him. Arguably our best player leaving at a transitional time with Fergie retiring is not the message you'd choose to put out - it's one you avoid.

The club is never going to respond directly to a couple of articles in the Mirror or whatever paper they're in!

kouroux

It is what it is.No one has the right to laugh more than the other, even if City didn't take Tevez and Balo as players and instead of them signed two other truly respectable players, there would still be other reasons to laugh at them.Just like if we get rid of Rooney, it'll never stop others from laughing at us under the right circumstances. Football banter always finds a way to stay alive.

Platato

Psst!
I understand and did believe so before...but since reading latest articles, I'm not sure if Fergie was playing some of his mind games paving the way for Rooney to leave. So as I said "keeing an open mind" I will wait & watch for United'd reaction. My response was only against the Top Red arguements like "Surely Fergie's words are holier than Rooney's" kind of statements.
You have to be wary with these articles. Hence why I usually preface my comments with an "if". We dont know the full situation and we wont know at least half of it until much later after the fact when some journo close to it will weigh in with some teasing information. It's clear the articles have done their purpose though. They could be off base but now you're questioning your original position which inherently is not bad...now that you're "keeping an open mind" I guess you won't mind the fact that shifting from your original position may have been a waste of time.

In the realm of possibility, it could be the case that Rooney didn't ask to leave but then you have to wonder why his camp are only focusing on the "official transfer request" bit rather than leaving in general. We know Fergie doesn't tell the 100% truth in public. However, you'd need something substantial to say he was lying in this instance. That's my opinion.

kouroux

Tbh with the lack of truly reliable information, I would follow SAF's words without hesitation and why not anyway ? He's no angel and has been known to play mind games on numerous occasions but sometimes he tells it like it is.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I think the fact that I honestly don't care about whether he stays or goes says it all, really. I'd be excited to see Kagawa, Thiago and Carrick in midfield for us next season in behind van Persie.

A player as gifted as Rooney, because let's not fool ourselves he's magnificent - for me not to give a single feck whether he stays or goes says a lot about the kind of character he is.

The prick.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The Spanish papers are suggesting Barcelona are interested in Rooney: "at the right price."

Could be a pure windup distraction in the light of the Thiago Alcantara discussions, but Neymar - Messi - Rooney makes for a very interesting front three. I must admit I can't imagine him at Madrid or Barca, not because he couldn't do a good job, but because inconsistency gets you ripped to shreds by the press and you don't get much "playing yourself back into form" time before the crowd gets on your case.

Did Rooney ask for a transfer? Probably, but not in writing. I suppose it could be as trivial as a look at the team list and a, "Maybe I should leave." Though clearly not in those exact words. I suspect it was something a bit stronger than that, but who knows. We all hear what we want to hear and don't say quite what we mean to say at times.

Mainoldo

Give us Fabregas they can have Rooney.. At the right price.. Barca are some tight cnuts. I actually hope we keep him so i can laugh at Arsenal. They are starting to annoy me with their new found ego boost. Parlour was on the radio today and he couldn't even admit it would be a step down for Rooney.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
It would be very strange for Rooney to go to Arsenal. If he does, than one year ago I would take a swap deal with van Persie for Rooney, and I still would've.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Yeah, how ridiculous I am for not losing faith in a player who has treated our club like crap 3 times in 3 years. We should all just give him a group hug and throw more money his way.
You are ridiculous because you are over-dramatizing and being a fecking drama queen. "Rooney is dead to me":lol:

Then professional football is beyond stupid.

We all laughed at City for taking Tevez back into the warmth and for enduring Balotelli's antics for a long time. We all laughed at Liverpool for defending Suarez and wanting him to stay, despite being the biggest cnut in the universe. Well, if we allow Rooney to stay now, then we can never laugh at anyone ever again. We've succumbed to a player who's not even that good and let him boss us around and treat us like crap, several times. It makes us a bit pathetic, doesn't it?
Because all the three situations are exactly same.:rolleyes:

Obviously Rooney asking to leave is similar to Tevez spending half the year on the beaches of Argentina, playing golf and refusing to come on as a substitute and almost identical to a racist cnut who spends half the season banned and other half bringing disrepute to his club by acting like a fecking twat.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
1: Almost no players hand in "official written " transfer requests so they are still entitled to the ridiculously titled Loyalty bonus

2: Why should Rooney come out with any comment before Moyes has even taken over and potentially say something stupid and make the situation worse for himself and the club, Im sure there will be news either way soon enough once they have officially spoken.

3: Even I find it hard to believe Rooney would be so monumentally fecking stupid as to start demanding apologies from the club, unless he really is THAT desperate to move. It will make his position untenable......and if the club cave and apologise, for me that will be the day football really dies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's not simply a case of Fergie said it. Look at the context of the situation. Fergie simply said he asked to leave. Rooney's camp spins the story by crowing Rooney never submitted a formal transfer request. We all know he didn't otherwise it would be well-known information. So his camp is just arguing against something which is non-existent. And somehow I'm supposed to think they're more credible than a manager who's about to retire? You should use "try to keep an open mind" otherwise you have put yourself in a perpetual circle of being open to every possibility. This includes the possibility that you are open to the fact that you are completely wrong which doesn't really help what your point. Plus Rooney has requested to leave before right? the history of the situation is not in Rooney's favour. That is his fault.

I've not read any of these articles but haven't there been some reports that Rooney didn't even ask to leave? Aren't some suggesting he didn't put in a formal transfer request but he also didn't put in an informal transfer request, he just simply expressed disappointment at how he's been used? People can say that's still an example of him thinking he's bigger than the club but I'd bet the majority of our top players have complained about being left on the bench in important games at one point or another. We know Ruud did, we know Scholes did, I'd bet Giggs did...it's really not a big thing. To get to where they are they have to be hugely competitive and hugely ambitious. What sets van Nistelrooy and Rooney apart from Scholes and Giggs is that one side put in a transfer request and the other didn't. According to Sir Alex van Nistelrooy asked to leave three or four times. To this day people still argue about how much truth there is to that claim and the same thing's happening here with Rooney.

It's not an insult to Sir Alex to believe he might be stretching to truth a bit to reach an outcome which he believes is best for the club. He does it all the time. Believing that Ruud or Rooney didn't actually ask to leave on multiple occasions is not taking their side, it's simply acknowledging that Sir Alex will feed the media what he wants them to know and a lot of that will be half-truths or blatant lies. That's not a slight on Sir Alex either because the way the media work forces people in influential positions to feed them constant lies. Otherwise they'd have nothing to say or the truth would be torn apart to create some sensational story which creates some sort of turmoil. Knowing how to use the media to his (and the club's) advantage is one of his biggest strengths.

Let's say there is some truth to the suggestion that Rooney simply expressed displeasure at being left on the bench in important games and played in a position which he's not really suited to. Like I said I think most players in his position would do the same but that's besides the point. If you look back at that Sir Alex press conference after his formal transfer request you'll come to one of two conclusions: he was genuinely, deeply upset or he played a blinder in the mind-games department. If he was upset then this could be his parting swipe to a man he felt betrayed by - and who could blame him? We've seen from loads of these past altercations that Sir Alex can be pretty vicious in his retribution and he has no problems throwing (ex-) players under the bus if need be.

If he wasn't upset and he was simply getting in a pre-emptive strike to eventually force Rooney into making the decision which best benefited the club, then why is it such a stretch to believe he's done the same again? The moment was clearly delicately planned and timed. He "asked to leave a few weeks ago" so he could have simply announced it at the time, but no, he waited until his last few moments in Old Trafford. It was clearly a tactical move and a clever one at that. Is it so hard to believe that Sir Alex then took "Rooney's unhappy with how he's been used in recent weeks" up a level to "Rooney's unhappy here and has asked to leave" if he felt that would put a bit of pressure on Rooney to shape up and get back to his best? Or is it so unthinkable to believe that he stretched the truth to make Moyes' job a bit easier following a discussion where Moyes has expressed doubts about how Rooney would react to him? I don't think so. And that doesn't mean I'm stabbing Sir Alex in the back the moment he's walked out the door.

You're giving other people grief for their polarisation of the issue but your suggestion that we're "taking Rooney's word over Fergie's" only serves to do the same. You can believe Sir Alex stretched the truth without thinking Rooney did no wrong. Rooney was the one who made the transfer request last time which now means people will believe he's done the same again much more readily. That's why it worked with van Nistelrooy too; we know he reacted badly to the Carling Cup final "snub" so it's not that unfathomable to think he might've reacted poorly on a couple of previous occasions that we weren't aware of. Ruud of course denies this and we'll never know who's telling the truth. Likewise if Rooney was in tip-top shape and top form all the time then people would be less willing to cut off all ties with him.

I just think comments like these are hilarious:

Rooney is almost dead to me. He really has to move heaven and earth in order to win back just a fraction of my respect.
Well, if we allow Rooney to stay now, then we can never laugh at anyone ever again. We've succumbed to a player who's not even that good and let him boss us around and treat us like crap, several times. It makes us a bit pathetic, doesn't it?
I think the fact that I honestly don't care about whether he stays or goes says it all, really ... for me not to give a single feck whether he stays or goes says a lot about the kind of character he is.

The prick.

As if what he's done is completely unforgivable and unthinkable. As if what he's done is something you could never imagine one of our legends doing. Oh no, we're Manchester United fans, our club has real integrity and only keeps players that devote themselves to the cause entirely. Cantona would never have considered leaving United, no way, not the same Cantona my dad tells me stories about. He might have had a few character flaws but he was completely devoted to Manchester United from the moment he came 'til the moment he retired. Except that time he thought about leaving to Inter in much the same circumstances as Suárez wanting to go to Madrid (aside from us being title-challengers, of course). And Keane, what a hero, the epitome of the Manchester United spirit and a paragon of loyalty. He'd never go against Sir Alex's wishes to try and get himself a bit of extra cash. No siree.

The funny thing is many of the same people that want Rooney sold are the ones who fawn over the mystique of the glorious Georgie Best, yet if they were around in Best's days and privy to his many United-related misgivings at the time they'd be calling for his head before he's even had a chance to win that European Cup final with us... The same people that are crucifying Rooney for this off-the-field stuff are the same people that get outraged when people do the same about Keane (who made many of same mistakes, and more). The same people that say "We as Manchester United fans should judge those who've played for this club solely on how they perform on the pitch" are the same ones that jump at the chance to stick the boot in to Rooney. Of course Keane contributed more on the pitch than Rooney but clearly that's not the point.
George Best was an alcoholic wife beater who destroyed a liver he'd been given in a transplant.

(Sucks to say, but he was)Yet in threads about Best people tend to avoid speaking about how he behaved and remember him for how he played on the pitch. With Keane, people do the opposite.
We as Manchester United fans should judge those who've played for this club solely on how they perform on the pitch and ignore the personal bollocks, of course some of our players are gonna be cnuts.
feck off, hope he gets sold
On that topic, let's go back to Keano's words of advice for Rooney back in 2010.
"Players and managers fall out all the time," said Keane. "It's part of life.

"If I was to offer advice to Wayne, who is a good lad, I would tell him to make sure he looks after number one.

"Players are pieces of meat - that's how I look at it. When your time's up, your time's up.

"Luckily for Wayne he's at a good age and he's fit."

Along with Keane, David Beckham and Jaap Stam are other players who have left Old Trafford after falling foul of Ferguson, although he does not believe Rooney's exit is inevitable.

"It depends on the situation and whether you have been lied to or not," he said. "But, as usual, we are second guessing what has gone on at the club, which is dangerous."

Platato

Psst!
I hear what you're saying Brwned but was Cantona a perceived cnut/prick like Rooney is? In your post you attempt to make a lot of parallels that could have been shortened to 5 sentences. I see the point. Players aren't angels but I think in Rooney's case, his conduct has done him no favours. We also now live in a world where the media is entrenched in almost every area of these players' lives. I just don't think his personality helps himself. How past players acted do not really matter much to people now. Unfortunately, that's how it usually plays out. Hence the power of nostalgia. What you're saying isn't different to what others have said above. It's possible Sir Alex exaggerated the conversation between him and Rooney but again, I state that Rooney's antics in the past haven't helped his cause. I think we all agree Rooney in top form wouldn't be benched.

You really like long posts eh? Fair point about the polarisation. I only wished to point out what you open yourself up to when you when you say things like "keeping an open mind".

If you know of any articles which stated Rooney didn't even "submit" an informal transfer request can you link them to me? I don't read that much press. Most of what I read has been posted on here.

Brwned

I hear what you're saying Brwned but was Cantona a perceived cnut/prick like Rooney is? In your post you attempt to make a lot of parallels that could have been shortened to 5 sentences. I see the point. Players aren't angels but I think in Rooney's case, his conduct has done him no favours. We also now live in a world where the media is entrenched in almost every area of these players' lives. I just don't think his personality helps himself. How past players acted do not really matter much to people now. Unfortunately, that's how it usually plays out. Hence the power of nostalgia. What you're saying isn't different to what others have said above. It's possible Sir Alex exaggerated the conversation between him and Rooney but again, I state that Rooney's antics in the past haven't helped his cause. I think we all agree Rooney in top form wouldn't be benched.

You really like long posts eh? Fair point about the polarisation. I only wished to point out what you open yourself up to when you when you say things like "keeping an open mind".

If you know of any articles which stated Rooney didn't even "submit" an informal transfer request can you link them to me? I don't read that much press. Most of what I read has been posted on here.

Sorry, I've been moulding my posting style on yours. Did I do it wrong?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Keane's comments are a bit out of the top considering that he overstayed at United (on top salary) for at least 2 years. Manchester United kept on caring about him after he left by loaning/selling him top youth talent on cheap.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Take Roy Keane's departure as example. In the media conference at 12:25 Fergie was cracking jokes and confirmed to the media that Keane was nearing first team comback (after injury). 30 minute later, United announce Keane's departure. Read "This is the one" for first person view of the author who was there at that time!

Fergie's mindgames are not restricted to opposition...neither media nor our own fans are exempt!

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I've not read any of these articles but haven't there been some reports that Rooney didn't even ask to leave? Aren't some suggesting he didn't put in a formal transfer request but he also didn't put in an informal transfer request, he just simply expressed disappointment at how he's been used? People can say that's still an example of him thinking he's bigger than the club but I'd bet the majority of our top players have complained about being left on the bench in important games at one point or another. We know Ruud did, we know Scholes did, I'd bet Giggs did...it's really not a big thing. To get to where they are they have to be hugely competitive and hugely ambitious. What sets van Nistelrooy and Rooney apart from Scholes and Giggs is that one side put in a transfer request and the other didn't. According to Sir Alex van Nistelrooy asked to leave three or four times. To this day people still argue about how much truth there is to that claim and the same thing's happening here with Rooney.

It's not an insult to Sir Alex to believe he might be stretching to truth a bit to reach an outcome which he believes is best for the club. He does it all the time. Believing that Ruud or Rooney didn't actually ask to leave on multiple occasions is not taking their side, it's simply acknowledging that Sir Alex will feed the media what he wants them to know and a lot of that will be half-truths or blatant lies. That's not a slight on Sir Alex either because the way the media work forces people in influential positions to feed them constant lies. Otherwise they'd have nothing to say or the truth would be torn apart to create some sensational story which creates some sort of turmoil. Knowing how to use the media to his (and the club's) advantage is one of his biggest strengths.

Let's say there is some truth to the suggestion that Rooney simply expressed displeasure at being left on the bench in important games and played in a position which he's not really suited to. Like I said I think most players in his position would do the same but that's besides the point. If you look back at that Sir Alex press conference after his formal transfer request you'll come to one of two conclusions: he was genuinely, deeply upset or he played a blinder in the mind-games department. If he was upset then this could be his parting swipe to a man he felt betrayed by - and who could blame him? We've seen from loads of these past altercations that Sir Alex can be pretty vicious in his retribution and he has no problems throwing (ex-) players under the bus if need be.

If he wasn't upset and he was simply getting in a pre-emptive strike to eventually force Rooney into making the decision which best benefited the club, then why is it such a stretch to believe he's done the same again? The moment was clearly delicately planned and timed. He "asked to leave a few weeks ago" so he could have simply announced it at the time, but no, he waited until his last few moments in Old Trafford. It was clearly a tactical move and a clever one at that. Is it so hard to believe that Sir Alex then took "Rooney's unhappy with how he's been used in recent weeks" up a level to "Rooney's unhappy here and has asked to leave" if he felt that would put a bit of pressure on Rooney to shape up and get back to his best? Or is it so unthinkable to believe that he stretched the truth to make Moyes' job a bit easier following a discussion where Moyes has expressed doubts about how Rooney would react to him? I don't think so. And that doesn't mean I'm stabbing Sir Alex in the back the moment he's walked out the door.

You're giving other people grief for their polarisation of the issue but your suggestion that we're "taking Rooney's word over Fergie's" only serves to do the same. You can believe Sir Alex stretched the truth without thinking Rooney did no wrong. Rooney was the one who made the transfer request last time which now means people will believe he's done the same again much more readily. That's why it worked with van Nistelrooy too; we know he reacted badly to the Carling Cup final "snub" so it's not that unfathomable to think he might've reacted poorly on a couple of previous occasions that we weren't aware of. Ruud of course denies this and we'll never know who's telling the truth. Likewise if Rooney was in tip-top shape and top form all the time then people would be less willing to cut off all ties with him.

I just think comments like these are hilarious:

As if what he's done is completely unforgivable and unthinkable. As if what he's done is something you could never imagine one of our legends doing. Oh no, we're Manchester United fans, our club has real integrity and only keeps players that devote themselves to the cause entirely. Cantona would never have considered leaving United, no way, not the same Cantona my dad tells me stories about. He might have had a few character flaws but he was completely devoted to Manchester United from the moment he came 'til the moment he retired. Except that time he thought about leaving to Inter in much the same circumstances as Suárez wanting to go to Madrid (aside from us being title-challengers, of course). And Keane, what a hero, the epitome of the Manchester United spirit and a paragon of loyalty. He'd never go against Sir Alex's wishes to try and get himself a bit of extra cash. No siree.

The funny thing is many of the same people that want Rooney sold are the ones who fawn over the mystique of the glorious Georgie Best, yet if they were around in Best's days and privy to his many United-related misgivings at the time they'd be calling for his head before he's even had a chance to win that European Cup final with us... The same people that are crucifying Rooney for this off-the-field stuff are the same people that get outraged when people do the same about Keane (who made many of same mistakes, and more). The same people that say "We as Manchester United fans should judge those who've played for this club solely on how they perform on the pitch" are the same ones that jump at the chance to stick the boot in to Rooney. Of course Keane contributed more on the pitch than Rooney but clearly that's not the point. On that topic, let's go back to Keano's words of advice for Rooney back in 2010.
Spectacular post, as always.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
If you have a problem mate, either PM me or say it outright.
Basically he's saying you write long as feck posts and about 60% of it can be condensed into a few lines. Essentially exactly what you said about his post, which was his point.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Cantona, Keane and Best's misdemeanors and conduct are forgiven because they were worth it. Rooney just isn't quite good enough. That's ultimately what it boils down too. Had Rooney scored 40 goals last year we'd all be desperate for him to stay I'm sure.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Cantona, Keane and Best's misdemeanors and conduct are forgiven because they were worth it. Rooney just isn't quite good enough. That's ultimately what it boils down too. Had Rooney scored 40 goals last year we'd all be desperate for him to stay I'm sure.
The only reason Cantona even considered leaving was due to the ridiculous levels of press attention he was getting and the cack handed slyness of both the FA and the CPS.......trying to give him fecking jail time for something that wouldn't even get you a caution outside the ground......

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's hard to imagine that this affair was 'SAF's revenge' when the man himself stated in the post-match interview that "We're not letting him go" & recommending that Wayne goes away & considers what he wants to do.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
So where do we stand with Rooney now do we want him gone or not?

Personally I agree with Brwned what he has done is not that unnatural he handled it badly the first time hence this stigma on him now. What Ronaldo is doing at Madrid, what Ferdinand did or Keane did are the same as Rooney in 2010 trying to get the best deal possible but his reasoning was what disgusted fans, your better off being honest we will respect you more for it. Back then it was well played by Ferguson he put him in the spotlight and made him accountable.

I believe now he is unhappy and he may have voiced his displeasure though I doubt he handed in the transfer request but Ferguson has put the spot light on him so he will have some explaining to do at sometime just like in 2010. What I think happened Wayne voiced his displeasure at not playing and Fergie explained why and Wayne did not respond in the way he should as in put his head down and prove himself. Fergie didn't like it so showed him he is not bigger than the club and that all culminated in Fergie saying Rooney has asked to leave which I think he suggested as he would not have known Fergie was retiring. I don't think he will leave now in all honesty just not many buyers and it would hurt us more than help us.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's hard to imagine that this affair was 'SAF's revenge' when the man himself stated in the post-match interview that "We're not letting him go" & recommending that Wayne goes away & considers what he wants to do.
In all honesty I don't think the truth will ever fully be known, and certainly not until Rooney and Moyes sit down and have it out. But this time Ill be surprised if the club are anything like as accommodating as last time, if he is expecting to be told he will start every possible game and not get subbed regardless of form he may be in for a rude awakening.

Brwned

If you have a problem mate, either PM me or say it outright.
I was trying to be succint there. Dammit, can't get anything right! Basically what Hectic said, yeah.

You're probably right, but then I imagine few people subscribe to the notion that Sir Alex was genuinely, deeply upset the first time either. Fergie loves his mind-games and he has the media wrapped round his finger. I think there's a possibility that's happened here too. He doesn't want Rooney to leave and Rooney doesn't want to either, he's just seen Rooney get increasingly complacent over recent months (which he's always said is one of his main issues) and he's sensed an opportunity to direct a bit of scrutiny at him may combat that. Maybe. It has to be said that media turmoil has rarely helped him in the past but at least this has happened over the summer...a couple of months after the first transfer request he was in the best form he's ever been in.

Steven Seagull

In your opinion.

As posted above Ferguson said we aren't letting him go, so maybe he does think he's worth it. (Certainly not without trying to get him sorted)

Status
Not open for further replies.