Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

The People's President
Haha. At least Cass can sleep easy knowing he's unlikely to get the hairdryer in an airport over this one.
Well he's our mouthpiece isn't he? Why can't United and Rooney's party slug this out behind closed doors? Rooney threatening to use the Webster ruling, we're saying that he's not going to a British club...I mean come on, it's so fecking transparent.

AttackingFlair

So Jose criticises United for refusing to sell to an English club and claims that is bad for the league... Just after he hijacked Spurs' bid for Willian in a position Chelsea are well stocked in.

Ole'sbodyguard

No chance Rooney should play against Chelsea. Either Giggs or Kagawa should play, preferably Kagawa with Welbeck interchanging with one or the other. I'd have no problems with Giggs playing if needed. He was very good versus Madrid last season.

Actually think the Rooney situation may work in our favour solely for Monday as it's bound to galvanise the crowd and the players for Monday's game. The build up to the game via the media will be sure to be dominated by his situation as it is a very unusual one and I'm fairly sure Mourinho will be trying to use it to his advantage. A win would be a big for Moyes.

dmode

Rooney will stay and play for Manchester United. I hope the player and fans change their respective opinions.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Rooney will stay and play for Manchester United. I hope the player and fans change their respective opinions.
Great player or not, he's a disloyal twat who has affiliated himself with a whore of an agent. He's abused his position in the team to demand more money, questioned the club's ambition, and has asked to leave the first sign of competition. He owes a lot to the fans, and not vice versa.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Great player or not, he's a disloyal twat who has affiliated himself with a whore of an agent. He's abused his position in the team to demand more money, questioned the club's ambition, and has asked to leave the first sign of competition. He owes a lot to the fans, and not vice versa.
You're right he owes us a lot. To be honest though we need to think of him as what he is, which is the property of United and a useful asset. If he can play well we should use him to help us win football matches because that's what we do. If he's playing well for us and scoring goals he can be as mard as he wants in terms of celebrations, not squashing rumours etc.

No player's bigger than the club, but that should work both ways. So what if he'd rather be somewhere else? If he's playing well for us he's helping the club, which is all we need him for anyway. His and his agent's moaning is most certainly not bigger than the club. I'd rather 3 points against Chelsea and a potentially grumpy Rooney than a lovely happy Rooney, or no Rooney, and 0 points.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Rooney doesn't "owe" anything to the fans. Do you really think modern professional athletes make career decisions based on what fans think or feel?

He is a professional footballer, who's currently plying his trade at United, where he's under the contract. Should Rooney and MU come to an agreement, that it would be the best solution for him to move on, fee size and the buying club acceptable to both parties, he'll be gone.

Ryan's Beard

Rooney doesn't "owe" anything to the fans. Do you really think modern professional athletes make career decisions based on what fans think or feel?

He is a professional footballer, who's currently plying his trade at United, where he's under the contract. Should Rooney and MU come to an agreement, that it would be the best solution for him to move on, fee size and the buying club acceptable to both parties, he'll be gone.

If you're being a bit of a cnut to some people and they stand by you, you owe them something. Flimsy moral obligation at best but he should at least knowledge the majority of support has been good to him.

LR7

José Mourinho: Manchester United should sell Wayne Rooney to rival club

• Pushing best players abroad is wrong, says Chelsea manager
• Striker would be 'final piece' in jigsaw at Stamford Bridge

José Mourinho is ready to step up his pursuit of Wayne Rooney next week and claims Manchester United should have no qualms about selling the striker to a domestic rival, saying it could damage the Premier League if he is not allowed to move. Chelsea have already made two bids for the forward but will wait until after the sides play at Old Trafford on Monday before making a third approach.
Rooney, who could be named in the starting XI by David Moyes against Chelsea, has been a long-term target of Mourinho, with the Portuguese claiming one more addition at Stamford Bridge before the transfer windowcloses would be the "final piece" in his jigsaw and that the club's interest in the player is not simply a tactic to unsettle their rivals.​
Mourinho believes that if United sell Rooney to a foreign club they would be damaging the league, claiming players moving between rivals should not be a major issue. "That old-fashioned mentality of 'I don't sell players to the same country' doesn't help the market and doesn't help the players," he said. "You see in Italy, it happens every season without any problem. The player wants to move from Milan to Inter, from Inter to Milan, from Roma to Juventus, from Juventus to Inter, and they do this all the time. You see [Filippo] Inzaghi, he played for Juventus, for Milan, for Inter. From the big ones I think only [Francesco] Totti stayed all his life. [Andrea] Pirlo – Inter, Milan, Juventus.​
"Sometimes you push players abroad when you should be interested in keeping them in your league, because when you keep players in your league you are contributing to make your league the best league. So when you want to sell and you are pushing the players abroad I think you are giving the wrong contribution to the league where you are."​
Chelsea have already added André Schürrle and Marco van Ginkel to their midfield ranks during the transfer window and are expected to confirm the arrival of Brazilian Willian after luring the attacker to Stamford Bridge when he was on the brink of agreeing a deal with Tottenham.​
United are adamant that Rooney will not be sold this summer to any club, domestic or foreign. However, Mourinho is determined to step up his interest next week and insisted his tactics in the transfer window are not merely intended to unsettle the player.​
"I don't understand that [argument] because it's normal that we want to strengthen our squad in every position," he said. "We did it from the goalkeeper, we did it in midfield, we did it in creative positions – we didn't in the striker's position where we have kept the players we had last year.​
"I think it is basic and normal that we want to give more quality to the whole structure. It is obvious that the striker's position was a position where we would try to improve."​
Mourinho, who spent two years in Italy with Internazionale, remains hopeful of securing Rooney's signature but reiterated that he has a "plan B and plan C" in place should his pursuit of the 27‑year‑old fall through. The former Real Madrid manager also denied that Juan Mata would be allowed to leave in exchange for Rooney and claimed that United had never enquired about the Spanish playmaker.​
"We are going to get a maximum of two players in this transfer window," added Mourinho "If we get the second piece, it will be the final piece. Let's see, [if] we make the bid and they say no again, what do we lose? One email.​
"The two answers we got from Manchester United were 'we don't accept the bid, we are not interested in selling the player'. That's the only official contact we have had. It is the same till Monday, we have nothing else we would like to add to it and we want to respect them and football."​
This is quite a special level of dickheadedness, even by Mourinho's standards. So, the team who just last week he said wasn't a great team, should weaken themselves and strengthen their direct rivals in order to "contribute to making our league the best league". Yeah, forget wanting to strengthen ourselves to win more or go further in Europe, we should be making sure the PL is the best league?Our priorities have clearly been wrong all these years under Fergie. Does he think Moyes, Woodward and the Glazers are going to read what he's written and now do a u-turn so that we don't weaken the league?​
We should bid for Oscar or Hazard in the next couple of days because he obviously wants to play games.​
[/QUOTE]

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
If you're being a bit of a cnut to some people and they stand by you, you owe them something. Flimsy moral obligation at best but he should at least knowledge the majority of support has been good to him.

I'm sure, Rooney'll acknowledge the support if/when he leaves, it's a standard gesture.

As for acting like a cnut, why did you keep him then three years ago when he publicly humiliated the club and questioned your ambition? In fact, MU gave him a much better contract. Not only you tolerated his cnutish behavior, you rewarded him with bigger wages to keep him. It's the same reason why you still refuse to let him go: Rooney is still very valuable to the club on the pitch. Otherwise, United would have shipped him out long ago and no fan would have given two shits about it.

Ryan's Beard

I'm sure, Rooney'll acknowledge the support if/when he leaves, it's a standard gesture.

As for acting like a cnut, why did you keep him then three years ago when he publicly humiliated the club and questioned your ambition? In fact, MU gave him a much better contract. Not only you tolerated his cnutish behavior, you rewarded him with bigger wages to keep him. It's the same reason why you still refuse to let him go: Rooney is still very valuable to the club on the pitch. Otherwise, United would have shipped him out long ago and no fan would have given two shits about it.
This is exactly what I was saying before. He's a useful tool for us in winning football matches and nothing more, which is obviously why we kept him and why we should keep him if we think he's still going to be useful.

All the wishy washy feelings shit is irrelevant next to the success of Manchester United Football Club. All I meant when I said he owes the fans something is what you said in your first line really. Nothing more than a nice thankyou for the great support. I didn't mean he should feel some sense of obligation to play for us because we say his name rhythmically over and over again.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
It's about being pragmatic really isn't it. If we are honest most footballers are out there to monetize their talents. If Rooney was a romantic he would never have left Everton. Like it or not this is the culture of the game just as it is the culture of business, that is footballs greatest change in the last 20 years.

The player is unsettled, but not adamant that he must leave. Therefore we should keep him, as it benefits us as a team that wants to win football matches. Accept the fact that players are fickle and their advisors ruthless, because the game will always be this way.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have to question why Wayne might be a starter, considering RVP's & Danny's braces last weekend. I hope we're not just keeping Wayne sweet.
I hope it's Welbeck over Rooney. His energy could be vital against Chelsea's crowding of central areas with playmakers.

amolbhatia50k

It's about being pragmatic really isn't it. If we are honest most footballers are out there to monetize their talents. If Rooney was a romantic he would never have left Everton. Like it or not this is the culture of the game just as it is the culture of business, that is footballs greatest change in the last 20 years.

The player is unsettled, but not adamant that he must leave. Therefore we should keep him, as it benefits us as a team that wants to win football matches. Accept the fact that players are fickle and their advisors ruthless, because the game will always be this way.
We could keep him but not give him a pay rise which I hope is the case if he does stay.

amolbhatia50k

Moyes will be unfazed by Jose's mind games.
Mind games only affect fans and the media. The players and Managers are too busy trying to win football matches to give a shit about these fancy sound bytes. It's always been one of the most overrated aspects of management.

amolbhatia50k

With regards to Rooney, in the short term we have to keep him. In the long term, I hope we sell to him whichever foreign club first gets interested. It's bound to happen at some point.

wonnie

Not really the thread for it I know but what's the status on Kagawa ? Can he start this match ? While we're at it, what about Nani ?
I don't think Kagawa will be thrown in the deep end, he has hardly had a pre-season. Nani, Young and Hernandez I'm pretty sure are all injured.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
José Mourinho: Manchester United should sell Wayne Rooney to rival club

• Pushing best players abroad is wrong, says Chelsea manager
• Striker would be 'final piece' in jigsaw at Stamford Bridge

José Mourinho is ready to step up his pursuit of Wayne Rooney next week and claims Manchester Unitedshould have no qualms about selling the striker to a domestic rival, saying it could damage the Premier League if he is not allowed to move. Chelsea have already made two bids for the forward but will wait until after the sides play at Old Trafford on Monday before making a third approach.
Rooney, who could be named in the starting XI by David Moyes against Chelsea, has been a long-term target of Mourinho, with the Portuguese claiming one more addition at Stamford Bridge before the transfer windowcloses would be the "final piece" in his jigsaw and that the club's interest in the player is not simply a tactic to unsettle their rivals.
Mourinho believes that if United sell Rooney to a foreign club they would be damaging the league, claiming players moving between rivals should not be a major issue. "That old-fashioned mentality of 'I don't sell players to the same country' doesn't help the market and doesn't help the players," he said. "You see in Italy, it happens every season without any problem. The player wants to move from Milan to Inter, from Inter to Milan, from Roma to Juventus, from Juventus to Inter, and they do this all the time. You see [Filippo] Inzaghi, he played for Juventus, for Milan, for Inter. From the big ones I think only [Francesco] Totti stayed all his life. [Andrea] Pirlo – Inter, Milan, Juventus.
"Sometimes you push players abroad when you should be interested in keeping them in your league, because when you keep players in your league you are contributing to make your league the best league. So when you want to sell and you are pushing the players abroad I think you are giving the wrong contribution to the league where you are."
Chelsea have already added André Schürrle and Marco van Ginkel to their midfield ranks during the transfer window and are expected to confirm the arrival of Brazilian Willian after luring the attacker to Stamford Bridge when he was on the brink of agreeing a deal with Tottenham.
United are adamant that Rooney will not be sold this summer to any club, domestic or foreign. However, Mourinho is determined to step up his interest next week and insisted his tactics in the transfer window are not merely intended to unsettle the player.
"I don't understand that [argument] because it's normal that we want to strengthen our squad in every position," he said. "We did it from the goalkeeper, we did it in midfield, we did it in creative positions – we didn't in the striker's position where we have kept the players we had last year.
"I think it is basic and normal that we want to give more quality to the whole structure. It is obvious that the striker's position was a position where we would try to improve."
Mourinho, who spent two years in Italy with Internazionale, remains hopeful of securing Rooney's signature but reiterated that he has a "plan B and plan C" in place should his pursuit of the 27‑year‑old fall through. The former Real Madrid manager also denied that Juan Mata would be allowed to leave in exchange for Rooney and claimed that United had never enquired about the Spanish playmaker.
"We are going to get a maximum of two players in this transfer window," added Mourinho "If we get the second piece, it will be the final piece. Let's see, [if] we make the bid and they say no again, what do we lose? One email.
"The two answers we got from Manchester United were 'we don't accept the bid, we are not interested in selling the player'. That's the only official contact we have had. It is the same till Monday, we have nothing else we would like to add to it and we want to respect them and football."​
This is quite a special level of dickheadedness, even by Mourinho's standards. So, the team who just last week he said wasn't a great team, should weaken themselves and strengthen their direct rivals in order to "contribute to making our league the best league". Yeah, forget wanting to strengthen ourselves to win more or go further in Europe, we should be making sure the PL is the best league?Our priorities have clearly been wrong all these years under Fergie. Does he think Moyes, Woodward and the Glazers are going to read what he's written and now do a u-turn so that we don't weaken the league?
We should bid for Oscar or Hazard in the next couple of days because he obviously wants to play games.
[/QUOTE]
Funny how when Mourinho says we should let Rooney go nothing is said, when Moyes say Everton says exactly the same it is disrespectful. Got to love the media,

Kingcon

Don't think Jose was ever really in for Rooney when you consider the timing and amounts of their bids. For me he is simply trying to turn a players head at what could be his main rival for the title.

If the signing of Eto'o is true I just don't see Chelsea going in for Rooney but settling on Eto'o.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Could be same line-up as last week, Rooney to come on Giggs on the hour mark. Or even Anderson to start in CM instead of Giggs. I don't think Rooney is a certain starter on Monday.
I can see Giggs starting.
My bad, I should have precised about Rooney not featuring at all in the match. Even as a sub, this is one match I wouldn't want him to play.

Sir A1ex

"Sometimes you push players abroad when you should be interested in keeping them in your league, because when you keep players in your league you are contributing to make your league the best league"

At last, somebody has addressed the issue of all the English players leaving the Premier League to play abroad. It's killing the league you know.

Zen86

Don't think Jose was ever really in for Rooney when you consider the timing and amounts of their bids. For me he is simply trying to turn a players head at what could be his main rival for the title.

If the signing of Eto'o is true I just don't see Chelsea going in for Rooney but settling on Eto'o.
I'm getting the same impression at the moment. How could they ever expect us to have sold Rooney to them for such a pathetic fee? Mourinho's been all talk throughout this, all mouth and no action.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes but if they genuinely wanted Rooney, they would have stepped up their interest by now.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm getting the same impression at the moment. How could they ever expect us to have sold Rooney to them for such a pathetic fee? Mourinho's been all talk throughout this, all mouth and no action.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes but if they genuinely wanted Rooney, they would have stepped up their interest by now.

I hope they do sign Eto, he is as disruptive as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.