Wayne Rooney - DC United player

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I've been watching the highlights from pretty much all of his games so far, the defences there are League 1 level - or low Championship level at best. But credit to Rooney, he's putting the effort in, he still has workrate, passing and solid finishing. His pace and touch have diminished somewhat, but coming down from Rooney's level that still gives you a solid player.

Not surprised in the least that he's lighting up the MLS. What has surprised me though is that the rest of his team are actually pretty good - despite them being bottom of the table when Rooney joined. I can see them making a deep push in the play offs.
They have around 3 very good players. Also Rooney is playing very smartly from what I’ve seen. Btw, championship level is a pretty high level all things considered but yeah I’d say it may even be less than that

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
On a side note I think MLS is becoming more watchable and enjoyable of a league. At least for me. Compare this to what was happening in say 2005 and its miles ahead

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He's DCs joint top scorer, didn't expect him to manage that since he's joined them after season already started.

It's clear he's really enjoying himself over there, less pressure on and off the pitch, playing with confidence and teammates as do fans already worship him.

And to think some United supporterts on CAF expected him to struggle over there :lol:

George Beast

I've been watching the highlights from pretty much all of his games so far, the defences there are League 1 level - or low Championship level at best
While that may be true, that free kick is world class in any league

youngrell

First time I saw the free kick I thought 'how is the keeper getting beaten from there', but when you see it from behind you realise no keeper has a chance on that. Absolutely terrific free kick.

So pleased for him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How does the MLS system work? Do they play 40 regular season games and then a knock-out format playoffs or is it best-of rounds?

SER19

Certainly hasn't gone there to take it easy. Its not in his nature. The game will remember him fondly

Himannv

Why do people act like this guy wasn't a supremely talented top footballer in his heyday. Mind boggling. Belter of a FK, always had a speccy like that in his locker.
People just remember him for his last few years here. He was an absolute beast during his peak, which actually lasted a lot longer than we think.

peridigm

Playing without the UK media on him, like a man reborn
I'll admit, I did not think he would make such an impact on that DC team. They were horrific and struggling. Wayne has done well and most likely got them in the playoffs if they get results off NYCFC(H) and Chicago(A).

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Why do people act like this guy wasn't a supremely talented top footballer in his heyday. Mind boggling. Belter of a FK, always had a speccy like that in his locker.
Rooney from 2006-11 was a great player.

Danny Roberts

About 4 yards I reckon using the 6 yard box as a reference so even better!

Think that would have to assume the camera was directly behind the player or is my maths/logic out?

Regardless, top free kick. All too often people say "hit the target" but I think it's better to go for the time travelling ones.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That free kick was similar to the one he scored against City.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No matter at what stage in his career, he has always been able to score absolute bangers.

Awesome free kick.

baskinginthesun

For sure. Despite DC having a strong soccer base I bet you he can walk outside to many places and not always be pestered with fans. It's still not a "major" sport here.
Just listened to an interview of him about this with Roger Bennett. He is able to walk outside freely when he wants. Whereas in England, everything had to be planned or low key.

peridigm

How does the MLS system work? Do they play 40 regular season games and then a knock-out format playoffs or is it best-of rounds?
Competition format

Major League Soccer's regular season runs from March to October. Teams are divided into the Eastern and Western Conferences, playing 34 games in an unbalanced schedule. For 2018, with 23 teams, each team plays 23 games against teams in its conference and 11 games against teams from the opposite conference. For 2019, with 24 teams, the anticipated schedule would be that each team would play each of the teams within its conference twice, for 22 matches, and each of the teams from the other conference once, for 12 additional matches, and 34 total matches. Midway through the season, teams break for the annual All-Star Game, a friendly game between the league's finest players and a major club from a different league. At the end of the regular season, the team with the highest point total is awarded the Supporters' Shield.

Unlike some soccer leagues around the world, but similar to other leagues in the Americas,the MLS regular season is followed by the 12-team MLS Cup Playoffs in November, ending with the MLS Cup championship final in early December. Although some commentators have argued that playoffs reduce the importance of the regular season,Commissioner Don Garber has explained "Our purpose is to have a valuable competition, and that includes having playoffs that are more meaningful."

Even though it’s mls and all he’s playing much much better than Zlatan is.
He is @shamans?

Doesn't Zlatan have 21 goals and 9 assists in just 1963 minutes*?

Both producing great stats mind:
Zlatan involved in 1 goal per 65.4 minutes of MLS football. (4 pens)
Rooney involved in 1 goal per 85.9 minutes of MLS football. (2 pens)

Last edited:

Needham

He took it as if there was absolutely no pressure on like he was on the training ground or playing MLS.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
DC were bottom and now in the playoffs since Rooney's arrival. Fair play to him.

wythyred

Watching the game now and he has been class.

Watching this I can't help but feel he could still contribute for united.:nervous: