Wayne Rooney - DC United player

stepic

It looks like he's really enjoying his American Adventure.

Earning a mint, playing in a great country like America experiencing a different way of life.. nobody knowing who he is etc. Must be nice. You can't put a price on privacy.

I knew what I would've preferred if I was Ronaldo and had the choice between being the reason MLS become one of the World's top leagues or become "another star" at Juventus.
Wait how is a 33 year old Ronaldo going to turn the entire MLS into a top league exactly?

He can still go to the MLS after Juve and still do well anyway.

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Wait how is a 33 year old Ronaldo going to turn the entire MLS into a top league exactly?

He can still go to the MLS after Juve and still d well anyway.
Indeed, on this evidence Ronaldo will be good to go in the MLS in his 60s.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Saw him live today. Wow. Yes, yes I know MLS is a level below and all but this guy is such a pleasure to watch! Also, I was impressed with MLS/DC United

shamans

Of course the football fans in DC will recognize him just like they would recognize any other top footballer, but surely the difference between him walking down the street in Washington compared to what he experienced in England is going to be night and day.
For sure. Despite DC having a strong soccer base I bet you he can walk outside to many places and not always be pestered with fans. It's still not a "major" sport here.

Bojan11

Saw him live today. Wow. Yes, yes I know MLS is a level below and all but this guy is such a pleasure to watch! Also, I was impressed with MLS/DC United
What position does he play?

shamans

What position does he play?
From what I gather, for parts of the game he was upfront (second half) but other than he basically had an attacking free role of sorts with positional fluidity. I suppose this was a double edged sword throughout his career but in the MLS giving Rooney the free role makes a lot of sense.

BTW, the other star of the team Acosta is terrific as well. Again, I know it's the MLS but he genuinely looked a class apart from other players along with Wazza.

The MLS impressed me. Well, DC United did. Their new stadium is brilliant, reminds me of an English style stadium which are my personal favorite. There's also the standing section with constant noise!

el3mel

Feel happy for him to be enjoying football again without much pressure.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
From what I gather, for parts of the game he was upfront (second half) but other than he basically had an attacking free role of sorts with positional fluidity. I suppose this was a double edged sword throughout his career but in the MLS giving Rooney the free role makes a lot of sense.

BTW, the other star of the team Acosta is terrific as well. Again, I know it's the MLS but he genuinely looked a class apart from other players along with Wazza.

The MLS impressed me. Well, DC United did. Their new stadium is brilliant, reminds me of an English style stadium which are my personal favorite. There's also the standing section with constant noise!
How hard would it be to get tickets to DC United v NYCFC in a couple of weeks? I'll be in town and wouldn't mind seeing Rooney and Villa go at it.

shamans

How hard would it be to get tickets to DC United v NYCFC in a couple of weeks? I'll be in town and wouldn't mind seeing Rooney and Villa go at it.
Can't say for NYC but for Chicago fire it was extremely easy. Me and my friends booked a day before for 45 dollars. Pretty good seats too.

Chipper

Adulterer.
It's a good improvement and he's playing well by all accounts. I'm also sure they had loads of away games at the start of the season and are now playing more home games which will have helped. Looking it up now.

Overall home record is good - P15 W11 D2 L2 35 points, away record poor P16 W1 D6 L9 9 points

Before his debut they played 2 at home (1-1-0) 4 points - 2.0 PPG (tiny sample size)
Played 12 away (1-4-7) 7 points - 0.58 PPG

Since his debut played 13 at home (10-1-2) 31 points - 2.38 PPG
Played 4 away (0-2-2) 2 points - 0.5 PPG (small sample size again)

Cantona'sCollar

Those stats say all you need to know. MLS is not what it was in the time of Beckham etc - it is still behind the top European leagues but there are a lot of very good players in the US now and Rooney is still arguably the best performer there. Transformed the team.

Even 100 years from now, United fans will be talking about him. Because of his last 2/3 seasons being fresh in the memory (+ our worst form in 3/4 decades), people forget how good he was. From 06-12 he would have started up front for any team in the world.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Acosta has been brilliant too
They have a great partnership. From what I've seen Acosta could make a step up to a European team.

KennyBurner

my best player ever at United. Hope the whole of DC recognise they have a god playing among them.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Those stats say all you need to know.
They tell you very little. They don't tell you about their star keeper and midfielder returning at the same time nor do they tell about Rooney's arrival corresponding with the opening of their stadium. They were playing all away games before Rooney and MLS away records are terrible.

It's like using similar stats in the past to say Carrick was our best player by far when obviously despite being great he was never the best by far.

Cantona'sCollar

They tell you very little. They don't tell you about their star keeper and midfielder returning at the same time nor do they tell about Rooney's arrival corresponding with the opening of their stadium. They were playing all away games before Rooney and MLS away records are terrible.

It's like using similar stats in the past to say Carrick was our best player by far when obviously despite being great he was never the best by far.
I didn't know about their keeper and midfielder. Regardless, no one can deny that he's not been one of the best (maybe the best) in the short time he has been there. It has become fashionable to discredit him in the last few years.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Nice, got to be getting on for 35 yards or so, right? If the wall was on the D it would be 32.

TsuWave

for years when he was here stinking up the place I wanted to karate chop him on sight. Now that he’s doing well away from here I’m actually happy for him. At one point I think I was starting to hate/resent him on a personal level

redshaw

Glad he's doing well and enjoying it. I don't think he was helped by the situations at the club, could've been a better ending.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone know what his general play has been like over there? Even when his form had gone to shite he was always capable of producing these spectacular moments right up to the end of his time with us and even for Everton last season - see his 250th goal for us or the goal from inside his own half last season.

el3mel

I dont get it. Hes never hitting that in his last few seasons at united. Never. Happy for him mind, great free kick.
Well, he gave us an exceptional free kick to break the goal scoring record in his last season.

Happy for hm that he seems to be enjoying football again. We all wanted him out but he's and will always a United legend that made us happy loads of times.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Anyone know what his general play has been like over there? Even when his form had gone to shite he was always capable of producing these spectacular moments right up to the end of his time with us and even for Everton last season - see his 250th goal for us or the goal from inside his own half last season.
He's been brilliant. Has given the entire franchise a much needed lift

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm very glad he's found his level. He truly deserves to be in a place where he gets to enjoy his football and you can clearly see he is enjoying it

marktan

I've been watching the highlights from pretty much all of his games so far, the defences there are League 1 level - or low Championship level at best. But credit to Rooney, he's putting the effort in, he still has workrate, passing and solid finishing. His pace and touch have diminished somewhat, but coming down from Rooney's level that still gives you a solid player.

Not surprised in the least that he's lighting up the MLS. What has surprised me though is that the rest of his team are actually pretty good - despite them being bottom of the table when Rooney joined. I can see them making a deep push in the play offs.

Ashley R1+O

Why do people act like this guy wasn't a supremely talented top footballer in his heyday. Mind boggling. Belter of a FK, always had a speccy like that in his locker.

I've been watching the highlights from pretty much all of his games so far, the defences there are League 1 level - or low Championship level at best. But credit to Rooney, he's putting the effort in, he still has workrate, passing and solid finishing. His pace and touch have diminished somewhat, but coming down from Rooney's level that still gives you a solid player.

Not surprised in the least that he's lighting up the MLS. What has surprised me though is that the rest of his team are actually pretty good - despite them being bottom of the table when Rooney joined. I can see them making a deep push in the play offs.
They were bottom - but something like 4 games in hand and played a lot more away hames than home games. Of course you have to win those games in hand, but the picture was not as bad as was painted. However, the impact Rooney has had is clear to see, and I’m pleased for him. No one liked to see him struggle in the last couple of years. Utd legend.