Wayne Rooney hits back at critics over wedding photos.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

England and Liverpool pair Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana reportedly made a 220-mile round trip to a Bournemouth strip club on the same night Wayne Rooney was pictured drunk celebrating a wedding.

The pair are said to have travelled from the Three Lions' team hotel in Hertfordshire to the South Coast venue, reports The Sun.

Lallana, 28 and Henderson, 26, hit 'For Your Eyes Only' on the same night as Rooney's drinking escapade and reports that other England players partied at a local club until 4.30am on the Saturday night.

Rooney has been forced to apologise for his conduct before branding the reaction "a disgrace" on Saturday.

The Liverpool duo visited the night spot and are said to have spent two hours in the club's VIP area before leaving at 1am, with friends of Lallana also in attendance.

A club guest said told The Sun: “They were having a good time as they watched the girls dance on the podium.

“Everyone there knew they were due to be playing Spain so it was shocking to see them.”

Henderson captained the Three Lions on the Tuesday night, in Rooney's absence, while Lallana scored but lasted only 20 minutes before coming off injured in the 2-2 draw.

Lallana was born in the town and is reported to have only drunk "a few sips of beer," while teetotal Henderson drank only water.

One dancer reportedly said: “They walked in with their mates and sat in a little booth drinking.

“Some of the girls were invited up to drink with the group and a couple of the footballers’ friends had private dances.

“Lallana comes here regularly. All the girls know him. He sometimes brings other Liverpool players too.

“He’s become more arrogant over the years and quite dismissive to us all. He’s not even the best payer and can be quite tight. I’m not sure their wives or partners would be too happy with them coming here.”

The club says on its website that it is the “longest-running adult entertainment venue in the UK”.

FA chiefs allowed the England players a day off, after the 3-0 win over Scotland.
:lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Right, so if he had been drinking 100-year-old scotch then this would've proved how 'zillionaire Rooney is out of touch with the struggling masses'? Got it.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Oh come on! Every player has had a drink during their careers. On one hand we blame footballers for being aloof and not having the connect with common man, and then when he goes and surprises people at a wedding(and got insanely drunk) we blame him for doing that. Sure, he shouldn't have got drunk especially when you aren't the fittest guy, but one night is not as big a crime as it is being made out to be
Dear lord this common man talk. If you were on a professional trip and you had to hold a presentation 2-3 days later, would you drink yourself into a state of Bolivia (to quote Mike Tyson) in front of your boss and colleagues?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Paints a bad picture of the England team. At least we know why they play like they're drunk

dichinero

Oh come on! Every player has had a drink during their careers. On one hand we blame footballers for being aloof and not having the connect with common man, and then when he goes and surprises people at a wedding(and got insanely drunk) we blame him for doing that. Sure, he shouldn't have got drunk especially when you aren't the fittest guy, but one night is not as big a crime as it is being made out to be
And I repeat, Mata and Herrera have endeared themselves to the United fans in the short time they have been here than in all the time that Rooney has been here. Did they do it with the bottle? You do realise that there was nothing common about Rooney's behaviour. He was said to have gatecrashed into a wedding as an uninvited guest. He acted like he belongs there all because he is a celebrity. United fan or not, if he had behaved the way he did at my party, getting handy with females because he is a celebrity, I'd deck personally.

Is it a crime? No but an absolute disgrace that a highly paid professional cannot respect the image of the fans and club he represents. We complain too much about the influx of foreign players but one thing we have learnt is that these guys are classy and are focused on the game. You can forgive bad performances but not taking your fitness and image seriously, considering the fact that he is overpaid for doing what he enjoys, it's a big disgrace! Only last night Ronaldo was banging in a hat trick against Atletico and we are putting up with Homer Simpson here!

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dear lord this common man talk. If you were on a professional trip and you had to hold a presentation 2-3 days later, would you drink yourself into a state of Bolivia (to quote Mike Tyson) in front of your boss and colleagues?
If it's 2-3 days later, why not? If it's the same day- No.
20 years ago, a certain man along with his team drank like crazy who were completely unapologetic about it, proud to a certain extent actually, and we loved it.
Now because it's a man who gets high wages, isn't exactly loved by his club- we act as if he has committed a sin of highest order.
Although I get your stance, today's athletes are of prime physical fitness and all that, but I believe players should have one of those nights sometimes

Nathan

The entire episode was an unwelcome distraction for Manchester United - our focus should have been on Arsenal instead we had to deal with this. Rooney is a professional & should have used more common sense.

Josep Dowling

We complain too much about the influx of foreign players but one thing we have learnt is that these guys are classy and are focused on the game.
Bit of a generalisation, what about the likes of Balotelli, Tevez or Osvaldo?

dichinero

If it's 2-3 days later, why not? If it's the same day- No.
20 years ago, a certain man along with his team drank like crazy who were completely unapologetic about it, proud to a certain extent actually, and we loved it.
Now because it's a man who gets high wages, isn't exactly loved by his club- we act as if he has committed a sin of highest order.
Although I get your stance, today's athletes are of prime physical fitness and all that, but I believe players should have one of those nights sometimes
According to fitness professionals, elites athletes should not lead such a lifestyle. This is only what we have seen in public, you can be sure that he does this privately. Even Carragher let it slip that Rooney likes a drink. For the Captain of England and Manchester United with almost 600 million fans, giving up the booze till the end of his career (which is around the corner) which is only a fraction of his life should be nothing!

Minimalist

Even if he was getting away with it before (when he was performing to an acceptable level), you would think most sportsmen have to consider the lifestyle when their powers begin to wane. Surely it's just common sense that if you have any desire to extend your career before it falls off a cliff, you would cut out the booze, try to up the non-required exercise (outside team training) and be a bit more aware of the diet. I mean these are things that generally could help most athletes extend their career by at least 2-3 seasons.

I think it's incredible personally and I've thought for at least two seasons now, he's as much an insult to Manchester United now as he is a credit with his accomplishments over the years.

dichinero

Bit of a generalisation, what about the likes of Balotelli, Tevez or Osvaldo?
None of these players had the responsibility of being captains of their country or club. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Being a captain should be a honour not an entitlement as it has been for Rooney.

Balotelli: People will always use being generous to kids as a halo for him but Balotelli is known to be as relatively generous too but that being said many of his antics were unacceptable and many of them had nothing to do with anything that could have an adverse effect on his physical fitness as an athlete. That being said, he was rightly criticized and moved on by club and country.

Tevez: To be honest, what did Tevez do compared to Rooney. Because he moved to City? Did Rooney not threaten us with that, and with Chelsea. People will say that Tevez was a mercenary, but not anymore than Rooney was. The dude could have been making a killing in China, even in the PL cos he is still that good but he has gone back home.

Osvaldo: He was violent in training, in a contact sport where emotions play a part? He was rightly moved on anyway.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I dont have issue with him drinking, we all did once in a while, but not till 6am on weekdays where he has job to do tomorrow. At least do it somewhere closed ffs, does he has to gate crash a wedding where people will ultimately take pictures and sell it somewhere.

Plus how can he train when he drunk that much and sleeps at 6am??

And people still think it's ok? It's not ok?

Forget football, any clerical job will have problems working after that let alone athletes

stevoc

You would not find the top athletes drunk at 5 am in the morning.
Do top athletes only get drunk earlier in the day?

Where does this myth that athletes dont ever drink come from, some athletes drink others don't. Some drink more than others, some drink at different times, some drink regularly some do it very rarely. You know like any cross section of people.

You will find professionals athletes from just about every sport drink. Should Rooney be drinking 7 days before his next match? Thats up to his manager but the players are obviously allowed to drink alcohol in their private time. Players were allowed to drink under Ferguson as well, as long as they were sensible about it.

prath92

I dont have issue with him drinking, we all did once in a while, but not till 6am on weekdays where he has job to do tomorrow. At least do it somewhere closed ffs, does he has to gate crash a wedding where people will ultimately take pictures and sell it somewhere.

Plus how can he train when he drunk that much and sleeps at 6am??

And people still think it's ok? It's not ok?

Forget football, any clerical job will have problems working after that let alone athletes
The training was scheduled for Sunday afternoon 3. Even if he gets 8 hour sleep, he could easily get to training that day.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A striker coming on the pitch and offering 0 goal threat isn't a good performance.

He was okay and didn't stink up the place as he usually does, a few good passes and a nice cross. Rashford put in a few beauties of the cross in the first half so by Rooney's metric, was Rashford also good today?
It was a satisfactory substitute's appearance, no more no less. If we'd have held on for the win no-one would be criticising Rooney. I agree he's an expensive albatross round our necks at this stage but holding yesterday against him is needless scapegoating in my book.

And I repeat, Mata and Herrera have endeared themselves to the United fans in the short time they have been here than in all the time that Rooney has been here. Did they do it with the bottle? You do realise that there was nothing common about Rooney's behaviour. He was said to have gatecrashed into a wedding as an uninvited guest. He acted like he belongs there all because he is a celebrity. United fan or not, if he had behaved the way he did at my party, getting handy with females because he is a celebrity, I'd deck personally.

Is it a crime? No but an absolute disgrace that a highly paid professional cannot respect the image of the fans and club he represents. We complain too much about the influx of foreign players but one thing we have learnt is that these guys are classy and are focused on the game. You can forgive bad performances but not taking your fitness and image seriously, considering the fact that he is overpaid for doing what he enjoys, it's a big disgrace! Only last night Ronaldo was banging in a hat trick against Atletico and we are putting up with Homer Simpson here!
I don't see what he did as a particularly big deal but his whining and 'enough is enough' statement is needless and petty. As you say the comparison with Ronaldo looks downright shameful both for Rooney and us as a club.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
My word. The outrage. I'm not his biggest fan but Christ almighty. Modern society does get me down sometimes

lewwoo

The training was scheduled for Sunday afternoon 3. Even if he gets 8 hour sleep, he could easily get to training that day.
Haha maybe when he was 21! Im 35 and takes me a week to fully recover from an all night session these days :(

red4ever 79

Im confused. He was injured but managed to train? Or was the injury an excuse because he was up all night drinking and p*ssed out of his skull. Im going for the latter. As for his statement this morning, dont let the door hit you on your fat arse on the way out la

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
maybe you need to attend training even if you are injured to assess the extent of injury.
Maybe that is why Jose is annoyed. That he picked up this injury, then it should have been assessed straight away and he should have been sent back to us for treatment. Instead they said he could and the others could go on a bender, risking that he might have aggravated the injury even more. All they needed was for him to go arse over tip and he could have been out for months. Lucky for us he a falling down drunk.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Im confused. He was injured but managed to train? Or was the injury an excuse because he was up all night drinking and p*ssed out of his skull. Im going for the latter. As for his statement this morning, dont let the door hit you on your fat arse on the way out la
He wasn't injured.
He was "injured".

I said it at the time - he'll definitely play against Arsenal, a few days later....guaranteed. And there will be no sign of any injury.
The same thing happened last season when Hodgson said he was "injured". A few days later, he was playing a full 90 minutes for MUFC, stinking up our attack.

RedFish

The problem was more getting caught than the act itself. He's no angel, I rather not know the crap footballer's get up to tbh. Also if he was actually any good now, people would be making excuses for him *probably.

The Wanderer

[]

What an absolute cheek, he goes on the piste when his form is shite, with his legs looking like they are stuck in mud and he criticises the press for getting on his back.

We should of got shut of him years ago !

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Wayne Rooney's life/career symbolises the world we live in. You're glorified/protected when you're on top and winning accolades. You're kicked when you're on a low and making mistakes. He's not the first and will definitely not be the last to receive this kinda treatment. This is life.

dichinero

Wayne Rooney's life/career symbolises the world we live in. You're glorified/protected when you're on top and winning accolades. You're kicked when you're on a low and making mistakes. He's not the first and will definitely not be the last to receive this kinda treatment. This is life.
He had this coming. If this was a surprise then I'm sure that many would be easy on him! This is Wayne Rooney and his cup is full and now overflowing. This does not come as a shock but a confirmation to what many believe about him and he goes to confirm it in this dramatic fashion. It's only a mistake that he was caught, we've just had an insight to a probable lifestyle.

Steven7290

True, but only when you're kind of an ass. Plenty of players came, saw, conquered then left the game with a consistent grace throughout. You can see examples even within our club.

prath92

He wasn't injured.
He was "injured".

I said it at the time - he'll definitely play against Arsenal, a few days later....guaranteed. And there will be no sign of any injury.
The same thing happened last season when Hodgson said he was "injured". A few days later, he was playing a full 90 minutes for MUFC, stinking up our attack.
You do realise not all injuries mean missing 2-3 games? Sanchez was supposedly injured yet he played the full game vs us too.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He is reaping what he has sowed for years. The list of indiscretions that have landed him in the front page are endless but he always got minimum criticism because of who he is and how he was performing, now his form has fallen off a cliff it's all coming home to roost.

Tango80

Let's face it, he's basically being chastised for not being a robot. There is nothing wrong with going out on the lash when you've not got a game for another week. (a meaningless internation friendly doesnt really count, and that was 3 days away).

The reason this has become a news story is because he was photographed. No mention of the other 10 England players who left the hotel and went out on the lash. It's a nothing story.

People are jumping on it purely because it's Wayne Rooney, and its another stick to beat him with.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let's face it, he's basically being chastised for not being a robot. There is nothing wrong with going out on the lash when you've not got a game for another week. (a meaningless internation friendly doesnt really count, and that was 3 days away).

The reason this has become a news story is because he was photographed. No mention of the other 10 England players who left the hotel and went out on the lash. It's a nothing story.

People are jumping on it purely because it's Wayne Rooney, and its another stick to beat him with.
He had a game against spain on tuesday? he had training the next day at 3pm?.

Suddenly he's got a knee injury, can't go to training and can't play against spain. Amazingly is fine to return for united on the weekend. Yeah robots :rolleyes:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

There's everything wrong with a 31 year old struggling with form and criticised for looking sluggish going out drinking til 5 in the morning.

It's not normal behaviour to be away on a work trip and to get absolutely shit faced while wearing company colours.

You're also taking the "he wasn't going to play anyway" line as gospel. If he wasn't playing anyway why, despite suffering a knee injury after the Scotland game (as his story goes) was he perfectly OK to train the day after this late night binge (as his other story goes)?

Maybe it's just me but I find it weird that a 31 year old father of two in the twilight of his career, with his body starting to fail him would even want to be up drinking til 5 in the morning.

Tompo

I have sympathy, I'm afraid if you "like a drink" as Wayne most likely does then there are always going to be incidents like this.

He should know better, but sadly that's what drink does to an individual, it affects their better judgement.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There's everything wrong with a 31 year old struggling with form and criticised for looking sluggish going out drinking til 5 in the morning.

It's not normal behaviour to be away on a work trip and to get absolutely shit faced while wearing company colours.

You're also taking the "he wasn't going to play anyway" line as gospel. If he wasn't playing anyway why, despite suffering a knee injury after the Scotland game (as his story goes) was he perfectly OK to train the day after this late night binge (as his other story goes)?

Maybe it's just me but I find it weird that a 31 year old father of two in the twilight of his career, with his body starting to fail him would even want to be up drinking til 5 in the morning.
Father of three. That department is still working.