Wayne Rooney hits back at critics over wedding photos.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
They really weren't that bad

Sure he is balding there, and Coleen looks like a marshmallow, and I wouldn't have personally gone with that shade of grey.

But they are fine.

I don't see what the fuss is about

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

prath92

I find it rather amusing the number of people who are saying that "Wayne is entitled to have drink on his day off".
First of all, this was not just "having a drink". He was drunk.
Second, while it was his day off, he had training the next afternoon. Yet he was reportedly still up and drinking at 5am in the morning.

For the regular folks, if you have a major presentation on Wednesday, and you have a meeting to prepare for the presentation on Monday afternoon, wouldn't it be considered as incredibly unprofessional if you were still out there drunk and still drinking at 5am on Monday morning? What more a professional footballer who is supposed to take care of his body and physical fitness?
I think if you manage to come for the meeting and take part in it, it wouldnt be unprofessional.

ZupZup

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In my opinion, United should lay low on this. They should help him find the a decent club (even if it means paying some of his salary) and then let him go amicably during the summer.

Rhyme Animal

Crazy comments from the normally sensible Carragher...

"Where's the collective responsibility? Why is it all on Wayne Rooney?" -

Erm, because he's a sentient being responsible for his own actions.

Or maybe we should also dish out Rooney's praise in a collective manner too?

"If they all love him and look up to him that much why didn't they stay in the bar with him. Why did they all go to a night club?" -

For more stimulating conversation?

This one is particularly odd - "Every performance gets scrutinised so much. 'He shouldn't be in the team, the money he's on, Manchester United need to get rid of him, England are a better team without him'. He's a human being with family and friends. He needs a release."

He is literally being spoken of like a charity case here, and you can feel that Carra means it.

The pity and depth within Carragher's oddly sentimental response makes me wonder if he knows that this is a larger problem. Perhaps Rooney actually has a drink problem?

BarstoolProphet

And I wish I owned the Millenium Falcon, but if we stick to reality I just wish he'd go the MLS before this gets any uglier.

This is my main concern. I've slated him a lot these past few seasons and the words have been stronger each passing year because I feel like his decline has been a major cover-up, but I really wish I didn't have to because I want to fondly look back on his time with us. Instead him and his PR train are still going with the shit performances on the pitch accompanied with ridiculing and silencing critics off it.

ZupZup

I suspect he just thinks why does Rooney have to take 100% of the flack when he was not the only player out drinking that night. Why are the FA leaking information to the media instead of closing up shop and dealing with it strictly in house? They should be trying to protect their players and staff... in my opinion. They've handled it poorly. I bet there are other England players just counting their lucky stars that all the focus has been Rooney when they have done the same or maybe worse.

This one is particularly odd - "Every performance gets scrutinised so much. 'He shouldn't be in the team, the money he's on, Manchester United need to get rid of him, England are a better team without him'. He's a human being with family and friends. He needs a release."

He is literally being spoken of like a charity case here, and you can feel that Carra means it.

The pity and depth within Carragher's oddly sentimental response makes me wonder if he knows that this is a larger problem. Perhaps Rooney actually has a drink problem?
I suspect Carragher has considered Rooney's situation on a human level as a fellow professional who has played football at the top level... maybe, just maybe he has a better grasp of the sort of pressures Rooney might be feeling than 'Barry, 26 who works in IT'.

Reading a lot of the over the top criticism on here, I am starting to suspect half the posters live the most sheltered lives imaginable.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Rooney is drinking to forget the shit you write in this forum! :cool:
:lol:

The discussion shouldn't really be about his drinking - it should be about his complacency, which stretches back to the SAF years.

Rhyme Animal

I suspect he just thinks why does Rooney have to take 100% of the flack when he was not the only player out drinking that night. Why are the FA leaking information to the media instead of closing up shop and dealing with it strictly in house? They should be trying to protect their players and staff... in my opinion. They've handled it poorly. I bet there are other England players just counting their lucky stars that all the focus has been Rooney when they have done the same or maybe worse.

I suspect Carragher has considered Rooney's situation on a human level as a fellow professional who has played football at the top level... maybe, just maybe he has a better grasp of the sort of pressures Rooney might be feeling than 'Barry, 26 who works in IT'.

Reading a lot of the over the top criticism on here, I am starting to suspect half the posters live the most sheltered lives imaginable.
Rooney's under pressure because he's been playing like shit for 3 years.

Every elite player is under pressure to perform, yet Carra (and you) speaks of Rooney like he's a fecking charity case.

Rooney is very, very fortunate to be in his current position - only the most sheltered of simpletons could imagine otherwise.

ZupZup

Rooney's under pressure because he's been playing like shit for 3 years.

Every elite player is under pressure to perform, yet Carra (and you) speaks of Rooney like he's a fecking charity case.

Rooney is very, very fortunate to be in his current position - only the most sheltered of simpletons could imagine otherwise.
So he's under pressure because his form hasn't been great. Not disputing that... however I would say that the amount of scrutiny and pressure he has been under recently has been a tad excessive. Certainly far, far more than any other English player since the days of David Beckham. Another player who the media decided to turn into a villain because of a human mistake.

Rooney has a dream job of playing football and and has lots of money so he can never be worthy of empathy... and whatever pressures he might be feeling or demons he has are irrelevant? How does the old proverb go... 'walk a mile in their shoes'.

Born2Lose

There would be a lot less critique of Rooney if he was performing on the pitch, which he blatantly isn't. At the end of the day he's a well paid "athlete" with serious questions marks over his place in both the England and United team, so getting hammered probably isn't the smartest idea.

People care less about Lallana and Henderson for the opposite reason, they are playing well for both England and Liverpool, and people aren't naive enough to think that footballers are some form of puritanical angels.

Rooney's the first to court the press with his "working class hero, top dad and he's still Wayne from the block" nonsense when it suits him, maybe it's time he grew up at the age of 31 and tried to be an example to younger players and his own sons.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

supposedly the 2 Liverpool players were not drinking alcohol. Certainly not to excess like some people

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
supposedly the 2 Liverpool players were not drinking alcohol. Certainly not to excess like some people
Henderson doesn't drink and Lallana had very little to drink. The only people they have to answer to is their other halves who might not be chuffed they were in a strip club. The only other risk would have been other punters who might have been drunk and fancied their chances at belting a footballer.

As others have also said both these lads are playing well for club and country. Wayne hasn't been and is finding it harder and harder to get to his former level, so getting blitzed isn't doing him any favours.

ZupZup

There would be a lot less critique of Rooney if he was performing on the pitch, which he blatantly isn't. At the end of the day he's a well paid "athlete" with serious questions marks over his place in both the England and United team, so getting hammered probably isn't the smartest idea.
It wasn't the smartest idea, I agree. There would be less critique if he was performing... however, Harry Kane was awful for England in the summer. Certainly, worse than Rooney. Do you think there would be any media fuss about whether he gets picked or not? Vardy, hadn't scored in something like 13 matches was it for Leicester this season? Much media scrutiny on his place?

Most of the media focus on Wayne Rooney is down to the fact he was their poster boy and they've built him up... now they want to knock him down. It's what they do. I think it's a shame that so many fans will accept that as being OK.

DomesticTadpole

It wasn't the smartest idea, I agree. There would be less critique if he was performing... however, Harry Kane was awful for England in the summer. Certainly, worse than Rooney. Do you think there would be any media fuss about whether he gets picked or not? Vardy, hadn't scored in something like 13 matches was it for Leicester this season? Much media scrutiny on his place?

Most of the media focus on Wayne Rooney is down to the fact he was their poster boy and they've built him up... now they want to knock him down. It's what they do. I think it's a shame that so many fans will accept that as being OK.
Wayne and his entourage have made sure Wayne is always in the spotlight for financial reasons. They cannot moan now that the publicity is not too flattering. It hasn't always been good publicity, but I bet they had the attitude that any publicity is good publicity. They are singing a different tune now.

stevoc

Haven't been following this nonsense, finally read the Sun story. :lol: The quotes are brilliant sounds like a parody. The chances of the majority of them not being made up is slim, but then what can we expect from that paragon of journalistic integrity that is The Sun.

Of course they weren't. I'm sure they left the team hotel late at night and drove over 100 miles to a strip club in Bournemouth to sip a few tonic waters.

DomesticTadpole

Haven't been following this nonsense, finally read the Sun story. :lol: The quotes are brilliant sounds like a parody. The chances of the majority of them not being made up is slim, but then what can we expect from that paragon of journalistic integrity that is The Sun.

Of course they weren't. I'm sure they left the team hotel late at night and drove over 100 miles to a strip club in Bournemouth to sip a few tonic waters.
It is well know Henderson doesn't drink. Funny enough some people don't.

ZupZup

Wayne and his entourage have made sure Wayne is always in the spotlight for financial reasons. They cannot moan now that the publicity is not too flattering. It hasn't always been good publicity, but I bet they had the attitude that any publicity is good publicity. They are singing a different tune now.
He has benefited from being made England's poster boy for much of his career... I don't deny that. You might think 'you have to take the rough with the smooth'... but personally, I don't. I'm not a media apologist. When they turned Beckham into a villain after getting a red card against Argentina, I didn't think that was ok. "Well, they did make him a hero in the first place so ahh well... c'est la vie"...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He has benefited from being made England's poster boy for much of his career... I don't deny that. You might think 'you have to take the rough with the smooth'... but personally, I don't. I'm not a media apologist. When they turned Beckham into a villain after getting a red card against Argentina, I didn't think that was ok. "Well, they did make him a hero in the first place so ahh well... c'est la vie"...
The difference is that Beckham is an infinitely better man than Rooney and has earned his huge good will over the last 25 years.

DomesticTadpole

What they did to Beckham was ridiculous. It was a football game he didn't commit mass genocide, but you would have thought he had. I am not entirely comfortable with Wayne's situation, but if he was playing well I like others would probably excuse it, but he isn't and is still seen as an integral and important part of Manchester United, when let's be honest he isn't. England against Spain proved he likely isn't for England either.

ZupZup

What they did to Beckham was ridiculous. It was a football game he didn't commit mass genocide, but you would have thought he had. I am not entirely comfortable with Wayne's situation, but if he was playing well I like others would probably excuse it, but he isn't and is still seen as an integral and important part of Manchester United, when let's be honest he isn't. England against Spain proved he likely isn't for England either.
I wouldn't have Rooney in my current England 11... I wouldn't have him my current United one either.

I still feel like the media's treatment of him has been excessive. He had far too much drink which is unacceptable but I am not too comfortable with him being turned into a villain. Perhaps he drank too much to escape the pressure he's been under? Maybe there's a mental health issue even? I don't know... it's hard for me to imagine... but that's why I won't be judge and jury.

saivet

I was about to say look at the hypocrisy. Lallana and Henderson getting pissed at a strip club. Turns out Lallana drank hardly anything (and I believe he was injured anyway) and Henderson doesn't drink at all anyway

ZupZup

I was about to say look at the hypocrisy. Lallana and Henderson getting pissed at a strip club. Turns out Lallana drank hardly anything (and I believe he was injured anyway) and Henderson doesn't drink at all anyway
The newspapers say there were approximately 10 England players drinking until 4:30am at another nightclub... although none have been named so I guess it doesn't matter.

dichinero

Just imagine if Valencia had been drinking on his "days off" instead of focusing on hitting top form during his injury recovery?

Carragher like some here already have their Coleen Xmas part tickets so I don't know why people are surprised by his comments. He is talking absolutely rubbish as usual. A grown professional athlete with a elite reputation needs a release and he goes gate-crashing a wedding and getting smashed on an injury with training a few hours later? Same player that said "I put on weight easily and if my fitness isn't right it shows". Like someone said, he's a charity case. Can't wait to replace lumpy with someone deserving of his perks. After all it's strictly business with Rooney and United.

stevoc

It is well know Henderson doesn't drink. Funny enough some people don't.
Is it? I doubt many knew that until the story appeared the other day unless they follow the drinking habits of random PL footballers, Llanna was drinking though.

But that wasn't the actual point, they left their hotel around 8-9pm at night to make an almost 250 mile round trip to a particular strip club in Bournemouth. They left at 1am apparently, so what time were they getting back to the hotel? Who knows, who cares.

They aren't model professionals either by the same standards others are being judged by. Personally i don't think there is much wrong with what they did if they had the night off and a late training session the next day. Then their private time is their own to do with as they please, just like the other players who stayed and had a drink in the team hotel.

The England management obviously knew about all this and gave their blessing. I assume Southgate was still in the same hotel, if things were getting out of control as is being made out someone would have woken him up to come down and sort it out i would imagine.

stevoc

Just imagine if Valencia had been drinking on his "days off" instead of focusing on hitting top form during his injury recovery?

Carragher like some here already have their Coleen Xmas party tickets so I don't know why people are surprised by his comments. He is talking absolutely rubbish as usual. A grown professional athlete with a elite reputation needs a release and he goes gate-crashing a wedding and getting smashed on an injury with training a few hours later? Same player that said "I put on weight easily and if my fitness isn't right it shows". Like someone said, he's a charity case. Can't wait to replace lumpy with someone deserving of his perks. After all it's strictly business with Rooney and United.
I thought the theory doing the rounds on here was the injury was faked to cover up his drinking escapades?

Or do you not subscribe to that particular conspiracy theory, just the one where Wayne Rooney and his wife pay and invite people to parties to defend him on internet forums?

SteveJ

Scout
"Stop treating the captain of the world's most popular club, the captain of England, the fifth-highest paid player in the world like he's an exceptional case."

dichinero

I thought the theory doing the rounds on here was the injury was faked to cover up his drinking escapades?

Or do you not subscribe to that particular conspiracy theory, just the one where Wayne Rooney and his wife pay and invite people to parties to defend him on internet forums?
Mate I'm 100% certain that it's true! At £300k/w minimum and Coleen always looking to launch a new perfume now and then, you can be sure that Coleen's Xmas party is not one to be missed.

Guests include Carragher, The Neville brothers, Owen Hargreaves, Ian Wright, Danny Murphy, Trevor Sinclair and a host of ex Liverpool pundits including Redknapp Jnr.

Notable absentees include Stan Collymore Paul Parker and every other sensible person in football and the CAF.

In the spirit of generosity, the Rooney PR team scout internet forums to pick the best fanboys of Wine Looney FC. And I repeat, at least 3 on here have tickets!

Rhyme Animal

Mate I'm 100% certain that it's true! At £300k/w minimum and Coleen always looking to launch a new perfume now and then, you can be sure that Coleen's Xmas party is not one to be missed.

Guests include Carragher, The Neville brothers, Owen Hargreaves, Ian Wright, Danny Murphy, Trevor Sinclair and a host of ex Liverpool pundits including Redknapp Jnr.

Notable absentees include Stan Collymore Paul Parker and every other sensible person in football and the CAF.

In the spirit of generosity, the Rooney PR team scout internet forums to pick the best fanboys of Wine Looney FC. And I repeat, at least 3 on here have tickets!

Ha, I'm experiencing that moment when you realize Trump becoming president makes you now utterly unsure as to what's real or not...

SteveJ

Scout
Things were going great at last year's party 'til they played Pass The Parcel and Wayne lobbed it through the right-hand window, hitting Tony & his wife on the head.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal

"If they all love him and look up to him that much why didn't they stay in the bar with him. Why did they all go to a night club?" -

For more stimulating conversation?

The MOTD comments of 'Go on Wayne, stand up for yourself' were equally baffling. It was if he was someone persecuted individual and not someone who was a unprofessional, underperforming and overpaid.