g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

'Wayne Rooney is a sacrificial lamb and I hate it'

Stadjer

If anything he's been treated to well. Should've been shipped off in 13/14 when it was clear he was past it and Sir Alex had already begun edging him out.

He's had some nice moments since, and I was happy he and Carrick got an FA cup, and I do still like him, but I just think Fergie had the timing spot on in regards to selling him.
However David Moyes his first action as manager of Manchester United was to overrule Ferguson and give Rooney the fattest contract ever.

Riverized157

Supports
Benfica
He absolutely deserves all the stick that he will get for this game. It takes a complete lack of football brain to make such an unnecessary foul in that zone against a team that has one of the best free kick takers of the league. Absolutely costed us the game with that retard*d foul and by missing a sitter that woud have put the game to bed.

Sylar

The NBC(?) stream said that it was herreras fault the goal went in for coming off the line :lol:

Cathy Ferguson

He could have been our hero today but he missed our only real chance to make it 2-0 and to put icing on the cake he made that stupid tackle which led to their equaliser. You would expect more from our most senior player than to give away free kicks in dangerous positions. I am very disappointed with him today and he has no future at OT.

Triple.Threat

What's more annoying is the Swansea player didn't even have control of the ball and was just praying for an idiot to foul him. In steps the Wayne

Silverman

That miss was inexcusable when it was 1-0. If he concentrated and put it low for the corner it was a goal. Not good enough!

Brophs

The One and Only
Look, he's clearly a busted flush and certainly a major issue, but the fact that he has barely played this season and we've still had little or no attacking guile would suggest he's not the problem.

Jig1234

Wazza looked like had just played 120mins at half time. Guy just isn't good enough to play at this level. The ball just passes him by. The game just gets played around him as he strolls around.

lsd

The Oracle
It is amazing you can guarantee if Rooney doesn't start on Thursday the likes of Rio,Scholes ,Neville and co will voice their shock and amazement .

I cant for the life of me see how they can think Rooney should be staying every game but they seemingly do .

Surely it can't just be the old pals act they knew when they could no longer do it they must feel the same about Rooney but somehow can't say it

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Biggest letdown since those xray specs I bought at Barry Island.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Wayne gave away a weak free kick in front of our goal.
Opponent went on to score from that.
Apart from the penalty, he was very poor today (which is to be expected).
Rooney is not a sacrificial lamb.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
However David Moyes his first action as manager of Manchester United was to overrule Ferguson and give Rooney the fattest contract ever.
Moyes was a trojan horse, designed to kill MUFC, from within.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Look, he's clearly a busted flush and certainly a major issue, but the fact that he has barely played this season and we've still had little or no attacking guile would suggest he's not the problem.
He is not THE problem.
But today, he was a problem. In fact, whenever he plays, more often than not, he is a problem.

GM K

I have never seen such a sharp decline in quality of a top level footballer like I have seen in Rooney. Decline is often very gradual and for a long time, you still see hints of the immense quality at play. Zlatan and Ronaldo are typical examples. If you watched them during their peak periods, you can easily discern that they are declining. Yet, despite that, they still ooze out so much class even if not as consistently as before. I can name others. Cech, Defoe, Fabregas, etc. But Rooney? It's like he just fell off a cliff. Absolutely no indication that he was once a brilliant striker. What in the world happened to him?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wayne gave away a weak free kick in front of our goal.
Opponent went on to score from that.
Apart from the penalty, he was very poor today (which is to be expected).
Rooney is not a sacrificial lamb.
Come on Wayne loves a kebab. Now he wants to become one.

Moonwalker

A Trojan horse, a sacrificial mutton, an elephant in the room, an injured lion, and all those cows in the field. Cast your Manchester United fable.

Hawks2008

Are people actually surprised the old boys club that is the media won't criticise England's golden son?

Dante

Average bang
The NBC(?) stream said that it was herreras fault the goal went in for coming off the line :lol:
Had it been Herrera giving away the foul and Rooney coming off the line, the majority would still primarily blame Rooney. It just so happens that one is a fan-favourite and the other is a pariah. So blame is apportioned according to preconceived notions.

Rooney was definitely at fault, but fouls happen. With context, it was a mistake but not the massive or anomalous ricket that some are making it out to be. Young gave away a foul in the same position in minute 25, but that particular freekick didn't go in.

Sylar

Had it been Herrera giving away the foul and Rooney coming off the line, the majority would still primarily blame Rooney. It just so happens that one is a fan-favourite and the other is a pariah. So blame is apportioned according to preconceived notions.

Rooney was definitely at fault, but fouls happen. With context, it was a mistake but not the massive or anomalous ricket that some are making it out to be. Young gave away a foul in the same position in minute 25, but that particular freekick didn't go in.
TBH, I cant remember Youngs foul, wasnt it the attempted tackle? If so thats where you say, shit happens.
When the ball is in the air like it was, and your captain goes and does that (when theres no immediate danger) you have to be thinking, WTF?

Its not the fact the foul was given away (as you said, fouls happen), but the way it happened was just utterly brainless. Rooney wasnt lung busting back on a counter to stop an attack, it was just stupidity, or tiredness. Whatever it was, it wasnt the experience and know-how to play the situation that he promised himself.

Miscemayl

Don't remember Young's foul but when Wayne fouled, the commentator mentioned how this was it in the zone and all that.

Fairly he would've said the same if Young fouled in a similar area.

I am sure the team, including Rooney, have been told all about their free-kick threat. To give away such a needless free-kick from which we concede from deserves all the criticism Rooney gets.

Those blaming Herrera simply don't understand football. His only mistake was going too early and hence didn't catch them by surprise (as he hasn't started the kick). That said, no one had any expectation on Herrera saving it with some ingenuity.

Camilo

We're plenty shit without Rooney - I think that's been well proven over the last few months.

DMacgraw

Those blaming Herrera simply don't understand football. His only mistake was going too early and hence didn't catch them by surprise (as he hasn't started the kick). That said, no one had any expectation on Herrera saving it with some ingenuity.
Or they didn't see what really happened. Herrera is the only one on the park who recognized the danger, and run onto the line to plug that gap. But De Gea, who was in any case standing too far on the other side, ordered him away from the goal. So he ran back to the wall. Big mistake, as it turned out. The thing is, 10 people in the wall wouldn't have made any difference, but Herrera standing on the line would have saved that kick or forced Siggurdson to aim for a different side of the net. I think the error was more De Gea's than Herrara's.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Or they didn't see what really happened. Herrera is the only one on the park who recognized the danger, and run onto the line to plug that gap. But De Gea, who was in any case standing too far on the other side, ordered him away from the goal. So he ran back to the wall. Big mistake, as it turned out. The thing is, 10 people in the wall wouldn't have made any difference, but Herrera standing on the line would have saved that kick or forced Siggurdson to aim for a different side of the net. I think the error was more De Gea's than Herrara's.
Yeah or just pass it to Llorente who was like 2 yards out for a free header...?

Are people really trying to imply for some reason that Herrera just invented an idea how to stop free kicks?