'Wayne Rooney is a sacrificial lamb and I hate it'

DuncanEd

thanks wayne for the trophies but feck off you scouse cnut youre done. C ya

dichinero

Probably Wilkins will prefer someone tastier. Rooney as a lamb will be too greasy!

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Because he is a club legend, he hasn't moaned about his limited game time and he does actually work reasonably hard when he does play.
He's been paid for everything he's done, and now offers feck all to the side. He doesn't deserve anything other than what he is legally entitled to in his contract.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Has Wilkins expressed similar views about his precious Chelsea's use of John Terry recently, when Terry (unlike Rooney) has been fit for months?

I'm sure he has - he must have. Wouldn't make any sense at all if he didn't :rolleyes:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
£250,000 a week to chill and ride out a career as a United legend and top scorer is a sacrificial lamb. Yeah sure.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Has Wilkins expressed similar views about his precious Chelsea's use of John Terry recently, when Terry (unlike Rooney) has been fit for months?

I'm sure he has - he must have. Wouldn't make any sense at all if he didn't :rolleyes:
He said Terry should have come in when Alonso was ill last weekend and that Chelsea wouldn't have conceded if he had.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A lamb moves around better than Wayne at this point. English pundits need to let go of the denial. Mourinho did..

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
"He has been so good for Manchester United..."

"What he has done over his career..."

"England and Man Utd topscorer..."

"This guy has been a phenomenal footballer..."

All true, none of that has anything to do with whether he should play at the moment.
Exactly my thoughts.

johanovic

Mourinho has given the "lamb" enough chances to prove he´s not a lame duck but the duck won. Surely a pragmatic manager like Mourinho that wanted to sign Rooney for Chelsea back in the day was always going to give Rooney a chance but like Mourinho said when asked about Zlatan staying he replied: I do not think about it, I only think about Man UtD and that´s just the plain truth, Rooney has not got anyting more to give, his time is up and best for all to part ways and I am sure the poor "lamb" will continue to have a decent life.

VivaRonaldo7

This is the guy who said he would break Alan Shearer's premier league goal record the other week on Sky Sports News. Nearly spat my tea out

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This

And this.
Indeed, how on earth is dropping a player who is not good enough to start for us anymore disrespect?

This may be a silly exaggerated example but if Bobby Charlton announced he was reversing his retirement and he wanted United to sign him would it be disrespectful for us not to resign him and start him against Burnley? The manager has every right to pick or leave out players based on what he believes they can give to the team now, and if Rooney has been deemed to be past his best then he's out, end of story.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's crazy this guy was assistant manager at a top club. "Terry come in for Alonso"? Does he even watch the sport?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This Rooney stuff is sickening. That bloke from Sky is particularly poor. He's at all Jose's press conferences and his first question is always about Rooney. Does he get paid to ask about Rooney? This Wilkins stuff feels like pure propaganda. Does Stratford have dirt on him?

Rooney ain't no sacrificial lamb, he's not playing cos he's let himself go. Zlatan is older but fitter, and visibly more ripped. What does that say about Wayne the martyr? Had he spent more time on staying sharp than smoking cigarettes he may still be 1st choice. His downfall is his own damn fault.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nonsense from Wilkins, but he's one of those fully paid up "old pals act" club members.

Previously excellent players who are past it are dropped and marginalised at every single club in the world, from the elite game to the Cock and Biscuits Pub second X1.

It happens, it certainly doesn't mean Rooney is some sort of scapegoat.

The day you start feeling sorry for a guy on over £1m a month, who only has to keep himself vaguely fit and gets to kick a ball around in training with his mates every day is a bonkers day.

Inter Yer Nan

If Rooney was anything but British he'd be getting slated left, right and center. Torres was younger and offering probably a similar amount and he became a laughing stock in the eyes of certain folk.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What is wrong with these people. Man United fans do not pay good money to watch an overweight past-it scouser ruin our play.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I like Ray Wilkins but he's definitely got the blinkers on here with Rooney.
Give the man some respect. He played for Chelsea and United. Started for England. Talented guy. Played in major competitions home and abroad.

Just because he's now too old to do the one thing he was handsomely paid to do, we need to listen to him talk and then just agree. Despite the fact he doesn't talk anywhere near as well as he kicked a ball.

Zlatattack

I'm sorry but that's not a good enough reason to play.
Bobby Charlton is a club legend, I see no reason why he should get a game just because he used to be good. Wayne Rooney made his bed... He lined it with £50 notes and burger wrappers.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Wayne Rooney is a sacrificial lamb and I ate it."
(Sauce: mint)

Traub

To be fair, his career definitely suffered due to his willingness to fill the gaps when needed.

ti vu

It's crazy this guy was assistant manager at a top club. "Terry come in for Alonso"? Does he even watch the sport?
Perhaps his main job is kissing up his players & make a peaceful dressing room while other staffs focus on doing the other meaningful stuff. For all account, he comes off as the guy who die to defend his colleague: players, head coach... even if he comes off quite controversial & stupid

dannofdawn

Saying Rooney deserves game time because of what he's done in the past is like saying Wenger deserves new contract and should never be fired because of his achievement in the past. Utter nonsense if you ask me. Jose gave him the respect he deserved by starting him for the first few months of the season. He wasn't good enough, so he must give way for others that is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Saying Rooney deserves game time because of what he's done in the past is like saying Wenger deserves new contract and should never be fired because of his achievement in the past. Utter nonsense if you ask me. Jose gave him the respect he deserved by starting him for the first few months of the season. He wasn't good enough, so he must give way for others that is.
But Wenger does deserve a new contract :drool:

Carolina Red

Staff
I just don't understand the mentality some of these folks are showing. When an athlete begins to decline, you either offload or gradually phase them out. It's completely natural in sport. What is completely unnatural is to continue playing people for what they used to be able to do.

Going by these people's logic, Giggs and Scholes should still be playing.

leontas

Why do these ex-players and coaches think that certain players have a God-given right to play? For all the good he has done in the past, Wayne has proven time and again that he is past it. Yes, he is one of our greatest players over the last 10 years but he has allowed injuries to get the better of him and hasn't put in the effort to maintain the physical aspect of his game.

I remember back in the day, Wayne would be running all over the pitch to win the ball back - he was one of my favourite players for the commitment and desire he displayed on the pitch as well as his superb finishing. But these days, I see a man who doesn't do any of those things anymore - he is too scared to get stuck in, he doesn't display the same level of enthusiasm to win the ball back, his finishing is severely lacking and his desire is just not there anymore. So why does he deserve to play when he doesn't seem to want to play?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Indeed, how on earth is dropping a player who is not good enough to start for us anymore disrespect?

This may be a silly exaggerated example but if Bobby Charlton announced he was reversing his retirement and he wanted United to sign him would it be disrespectful for us not to resign him and start him against Burnley? The manager has every right to pick or leave out players based on what he believes they can give to the team now, and if Rooney has been deemed to be past his best then he's out, end of story.
Bobby Charlton might be a silly example but if Ole decided he wanted to play again, I'd take him in the team. I personally have more time and respect for Solskjaer than I do for Rooney.

klayton88

He got a nice little run up and down the touchline warming up for most of the second half on Thursday. Tidy 250k for that. My heart bleeds.