We’re getting better at selling

tomaldinho1

Part of me thinks it's the obvious ones being sold, the other part questions why it's taken until now to shift them. Are we getting amazing fees for players? Not really but we are selling them and that, alone, is an improvement.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Discuss. Disagree. Fight in the replies please.
Sitting there on your throne, egging us on for your entertainment?! Do you have what it takes to fight? To really fight for what you believe in? No, I say! No! But yes, yes you do! You know what's good for us, and you even asked please :) Thanks! No you don't... Stop fecking about :mad: Of course you do, stop disagreeing just for the sake of it. *gollum, gollum*

RedIan

We paid 40m for Fred selling for £13m. we were mugged for 80m for maguire and selling for 30m… £77m loss on the two.
yep we are getting good at selling.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We paid 40m for Fred selling for £13m. we were mugged for 80m for maguire and selling for 30m… £77m loss on the two.
I said better.

OverratedOpinion

Would that not be more to do with how bad we were at buying 4 years ago than how good we are at selling now?

redshaw

Yes we are getting better.

I think ETH is setting initiative to the newer board, he wants a high quality squad young players that can feature/show great promise, to better older players and is keen to offload if they don't. We became a more charitable family club without our ruthless father, accommodating old and young for years that were hardly going to feature and missed opportunities to sell and get money back.

We may miss out on some late bloomer but you look back at the last ten years and see the mess of hoarding and buying for the sake of it.

Plastic Evra

Would that not be more to do with how bad we were at buying 4 years ago than how good we are at selling now?
Yes.
Besides those players weren't bought with the expectation of turning a profit on fees. The idea is more their product on the pitch is generating the revenue. Arguably Fred and Maguire did not meet expectations on the latter.
Selling them for a neutral or very slight benefit on the remaining value of their contract is OK.

Wing Attack Plan R

I think we paid a lot more than that for Fred.
£52.5m according to Goal.com
£52m rising to £61m with bonuses, according to SkySports.
We got fecking rinsed on him, and my Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs supporting friends have had no end to their mirth and enjoyment because of it.

Member 101269

When Ralf said we didnt need open heart surgery, well, the clear out says otherwise.

Gandalf

Henderson might be off because Heaton picked up an injury too.
Seems to be purely speculation though. Luckhurst just putting 2 and 2 together, nothing from the club ro indicate they are thinking this way. We always planned on adding another keeper so that might just as well be accelerated as presumably Suzuki was not the only option we were considering.

Its all gone Shane Long

I think imo is we start small, take the hit on players like Fred, Zidane, Donny etc and get the word out that united are no longer going to be taken for idiots in the market, we build players up and they become good enough to warrant us placing high values on them.

The structure that Woodward put in place were we were buying the likes of Di Maria, Lukaku for big money added stupid value to players below them and when they didn’t work and sold on for half of what we bought them for, other clubs seen us as soft targets. As I said above get the word out that it’s over, coach our lads properly so that they will have a proper value on their heads that if teams really want them they have to pay up.

AVARiCE

Do you understand the concept of "selling"? Specifically, how it's different to "buying"? I know they generally happen at the same time, which makes it very confusing, but they are quite different, I assure you.

Blood Mage

Feel like we could have got more for Fred but oh well. Getting 30m for Maguire would be very impressive though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think it's mainly just deciding to sell the players rather than wait until their value is completely gone, or extending endlessly to be a 30 man squad, or waiting for the contract to expire. Woodward did some contract feckery to maintain alleged value. Ten Hag is pushing Murtaugh to actually sell the players he doesn't want, he wants a small squad so doesn't need overloads of players, he's being realistic with young players who won't actually be important players here and telling them it's better to leave... The right things.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What we need to look are the wages of our new signings to know if we have improved. Statistically, at least one or two of our new signings will be average player who we will want to get rid in few years, and if we made them one of highest paid players in their position(alongside paying lot of money for the transfer), then I don't think we have improved. We have continued to do that over the years, even players who came from lesser leagues with really low wages comparable to Premiership wages, we made their wages 4, or 5 times bigger without any reason, and made them ridiculous ti sell(Sancho, Pogba, Memphis, Anthony, even the likes of Telles, Lindelof, etc.).

Mount is pretty good example that we are not exactly planning ahead, considering how much we have paid for player who was in last year of his contract - and no doubt we made him one of highest paid players in the league. Now, he might be good for us in future ahead, and maybe exactly what we need right now(or at least what manager thinks we need), but it's quite obvious we won't be selling him for 40-60m in 3-5 years, IMO.

Gavinb33

I would say more than better at selling it seems we have a clear idea of what we want the squad to be and then able to see we need to jettison the dead wood, maybe a question mark over the prices to a degree tha5 we have sold at but then Fred and Telles have 1 year left both the wrong side of 30 and the market really sets the price and they are not wanted by many teams which makes it hard to drive a good price, I'm impressed with the Elanga and Kovar deals probably the most as we didn't pay for these and feel like we have achieved a decent fee for both

Remember the geese

We are moving players on, which is a big improvement in itself. I'm not so sure we are getting great value in terms of the fees that we have received/will receive. Part of that is obviously due to the high wages we pay, but I think we could do a bit better. Thinking in the case of Kovar in particular.

spiriticon

It's been a good transfer window. Every year we talk about a summer clear out but this year it really happened.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So far we’ve gotten (assuming the deals go through), and including add ons - 80m for Maguire, Fred, Telles, Kovar, and Elanga. That’s good. Considering they were all surplus to requirements.

Still money to be raised from VdB and potentially Williams, Henderson and McTominay. Although don’t expect all to go.

Also got DDG, Tuanzebe, Jones, Weghorst, Sabitzer and Bailly off the payroll. Even if two were loan returns.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
10m euro plus 5m addon's for Fred. Awful as usual, took to August to get that. Selling him all Summer. John and Arnold are horrendous at negotiating.
He’s on more than their biggest earner. Dzeko who is supposedly on 90 and Fred is on 120. That’s where the low selling prices come from. If we negotiate better in the future we can sell for more.

Ekeke

Maybe. We were a 1/10 at it before and we're a little higher now. Its a good fee for a 30 year old Fred who isnt a high level of player. The fact he's going to Fenerbache should reinforce that. Obviously overall it was terrible business buying him, his performances and then getting a small amount for him in comparison but thats been well past debate for many years and its about making space for players who are good enough to start every week for us and getting a bit of money for him while there is a taker. And in terms of that its not too bad. In a perfect world it would have been a year earlier and for more money. In terms of the replacement, it remains to be seen if Mount ends up being the replacement in terms of being the midfielder added as Fred leaves and not somebody else as well. They are very different players. And their transfers were at very different numbers.... But anyone would take Mout over Fred if you were just asked to pick between the 2 with no context.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
And things can only get better
Can only get better now I found you
(Things can only get, can only get)
Things can only get better
Can only get better now I found you and you and you

Oranges038

United sells down while West Ham sells up to clients with more money than sense. That alone makes the comparison complicated.

It's probably an anomalous summer because I don't expect so many players being on the shelf next year.
Aye, your also selling a player who is 30, 1 year left on his deal and has very little to offer aside from smiles and work rate and Utd just need to shift certain players on. So, clubs will lowball if they feel they can get it accepted.

Paqueta and Rice are two very good players that could flourish under the right guidance at a top club. West Ham can ask for a bigger fee because they are in no hurry to sell.

marktan

Not really, we sold Smalling for like £15m didn't we? We often sell our players that are decent to pretty good, but don't play as often as someone like Bruno as we have other choices.

They then go and look fairly good elsewhere. Darmian, Young are two others. We don't tend to get good figures for these players.

The two exceptions are Lukaku, and Maguire. I still have no clue as to why Inter and Chelsea decided to spunk £80m on Rom, though at least the former got a league out of it. Maguire if we had signed him for £40m there's 0 chance West Ham pay 30.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Eh? We obviously aren’t going to make profits on most players we sell.

Anyway, better but we will improve further by not giving stupid wages to players.

wolvored

Fred for 15 million when relegation fodder in Rice and Paqueta going for a combined 200 million suggests not..
If no one is offering us more then we have to take whats on offer. Personally as long as the crap players are gone and replaced with better, I dont give a feck nor should anyone else, its not our money.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed. We're getting better at selling.. players that need to be sold. I think that had been a massive hindrance on getting better players in the past. That stupid "stockpiling" policy.

gaffs

We are getting better at selling only because this summer we are actually selling.

It is a bit of a fire sale though, but that is what happens when you have a load of dead wood.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Selling well is all about two things:

1. Identify when a player isn’t needed as quickly as possible. Nothing tanks value like wasting away in reserves. We were terrible at this for years.

2. Avoiding huge contracts. Self explanatory really, as you significantly narrow down who might be willing to take the player on.

Chairman Steve

All coincides with Woodward leaving, Arnold stepping in and handing Murtough more authority. I get the feeling Woodward fancied himself to be Utd’s Fiorentino Perez or Adriano Galliani (aka hotshot football-savvy CEO) but he was anything but that.

glasgow 21

If no one is offering us more then we have to take whats on offer. Personally as long as the crap players are gone and replaced with better, I dont give a feck nor should anyone else, its not our money.
Yep the fear of loosing money had hindered our progress and kept players for worrying needlessly that we would loose face. Fred is far from a starter and 30 years old. Yes some Saudi team could have stepped in but they didnt so end of story move on . We owed nothing on him he had 16 wages so thats 31 net gain on the balance sheet.

Kag

So far we’ve gotten (assuming the deals go through), and including add ons - 80m for Maguire, Fred, Telles, Kovar, and Elanga. That’s good. Considering they were all surplus to requirements.

Still money to be raised from VdB and potentially Williams, Henderson and McTominay. Although don’t expect all to go.

Also got DDG, Tuanzebe, Jones, Weghorst, Sabitzer and Bailly off the payroll. Even if two were loan returns.
It’s quite a churn when you put it like that. We’re definitely a little more savvy at the outgoings thing.

AndySmith1990

Feels like we have competent people in charge and we're being run more like a professional football club, instead of an adult disneyland, whatever the feck that is. Slowly we'll rebuild our reputation and no longer be seen as absolute mugs in the transfer market