We’ve criminally underused Matic and Mata these past few seasons

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Thread title says it all.

Persisted too long with overhyped and careless on the ball Pogba when Matic should have played more. Bruno has been too reckless, and maybe it’s because we always expect the Hollywood pass from him, but having Mata on allows us to build up and progress up the pitch waiting for the moment to pass.

Matic and Mata are two seasoned, experienced and calm heads. They play intelligently. Imagine some of the games in the last year or two where we get nervous and it shows in our play. Ole should have used their experience way more.

This thread isn’t to say they should stay, but there’s obviously something still there that many of our other players lack.

United492

Sentimentally I agree, however, it's easy to say this after an end-of-season game against Brentford

NewYorkRed

Mata's use at the club for his entire time here has been criminal. We never really played him where he should be played. Its easy to forget but he was one of the best players in the league and one of the best in the world for his position when we signed him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Let's not get carried away over Mata. We've seen a few of these good performances against poor opposition where he's given loads of time on the ball. Then we've played him next game and he's been completely dominated.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Mata has always been good (or at least better than his reputation in some circles) when used properly. So, I can - sort of - agree as far as he's concerned.

Matic, though, really hasn't been criminally underused. He's demonstrated time and again that he simply doesn't have the legs for starting regularly.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Matic's legs have long been gone. Have some of you even watched him play at all for the past few seasons?

mancsarered

Matic, no. Mata, absolutely.

We saw the best that Matic had to offer us. I don't think we got the best out of what Mata could offer because he was so often played out of position and we didn't play to his strengths.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Mata, yes. He's always been one of the more intelligent players up front.

Matic, not so much. As much he has on the ball, we bought him when his energy was failing.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Mata maybe but Matic hasn't the stamina to be a consistent member of the first 11.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It is weird how Ole had us believe Matic couldn't play more than once a month and yet he's been playing well week in week out under RR recently

No idea why neither have fancied Mata

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There was a worrying drop off in form and a lack of intensity in Matic's game midway through his debut season for us.
Unfortunately, many Chelsea fans called it the moment we brought him in.

TsuWave

Their legs are gone and have been for a while. In fact, they've probably done OK in these last couple games due to not being used.

Thread is just another Pogba bashing and scapegoating party. The guy has missed a bunch of games for the past two seasons, he's hardly the reason United is shit or that Matic and Mata didn't play more

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It is weird how Ole had us believe Matic couldn't play more than once a month and yet he's been playing well week in week out under RR recently

No idea why neither have fancied Mata
There was a period Mata was out the first team squad for personal reasons. I think it was later revealed that he lost a parent during covid times.

hobbers

Yes in the sense that McTominay, Lingard, Rashford etc are absolutely dismal footballers yet Ole tried to build a team around them.

Matic is vastly superior to McTominay, minus the pace, and Mata is vastly superior to the latter two, minus the physicality.

Obviously neither Mata or Matic have been good enough to be starting games for a top four or title winning side the last two years. They're just too slow and Mata is far too weak for top level football.

CallyRed

Would have loved to have seen Mata in the side instead of Bruno a few times this season.

Fooza

They'd have been amazing for us in their prime

But they were not in their prime, they've both been here for long too and the fact that they are still better than our current midfield proves how bad our decision was not to improve the midfield last summer.

Wasted a season on watching a turd midfield. Love the way Mata conducts himself, can see a good future in coaching and potentially manager in him.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Matic has had a few good moments recently, but to say he's been playing well week in and week out is kind of crazy. I mean, come on:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree with Matic. He's been used times and times but still showed inconsistency and incapable to play for full 90 mins. His time was up after his first half season in here but we never spend the money to replace him.

Delano

Matic has had his best years. Brilliant player but he's lost that ability to resist the press. He's the exact type of player we need though.

Mata has been underused and shunted across the pitch throughout his United career. I think he always made our technical players better and was often a key cog in our better performances.

Bruno, VdB, Sancho, even Kagawa back in the day loved playing with him. A properly intelligent player who would've thrived elsewhere. Love the guy.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Memories are a bit short here.

Matic has been decent recently but mainly playing for a contract elsewhere. He will go back into holiday mode again.

El Jefe

Strongly disagree. If we were a proper club both would've left 2 years ago, 3 in Mata's case.

Its easy to think of what they could've done but lets remember both were sure starters at one point and lost their places for a reason.

Blood Mage

On another level to all of our other midfielders in terms of football intelligence. What I would give for both of them to be six years younger.

Dominos

Maybe they should have played more while they were still here. However there was a better alternative, sell/release them when we had the chance to make room/funds for players who are in their prime who can contribute week in week out.

People have been complaining we didn't sign a DM the last couple of years, one of the major reasons was we extended Matic' contract despite knowing he was far past his best. Obviously VDB was a wasted signing, we ended up with 6 central midfielders on our books so had no scope to bring anyone else in.

We hold on to players too long, when they're way past their prime and not contributing to the level we need. I don't buy into the value of keeping old players for the sake of "experience" alone, they need to actually still have the legs to play in high intensity games, in a high intensity team, and not look out of place.

Shark

@NotShark
Let's not start rewriting history. They played well tonight doesn't mean they're able to do it anywhere consistently enough at this level.

RC89

Disagree. Both can perform well on their day, especially following a spell out they tend to do well. Matic seems to only be able to maintain his level when regularly rested and Mata looks average after a run of a few games. Recently of course both have looked excellent.

lex talionis

They played well tonight, true. They've also played poorly in the past. But the point is well taken that both were misused by Ole.

Red_toad

Matic has proven he can't play regular games. Mata has proven he just isn't up to high intensity matches and should only be used sparingly. Seems there's a few with very short memories out and about.

Tarrou

Fergie would've got the most out of Matic in these last few seasons, carefully selecting the best games for him and resting him at the right times

Ole just kept playing McT until one of them broke-down and then Matic was in

Mata was a strange signing, it was like we tried to cut and paste a tiki-taka style player into our bog-standard 4-4-2 and hoped for the best. I don't think we've underused him though, he should've been shipped out years ago

CloneMC16

Matic has played a decent amount and has had plenty of poor performances. He also usually starts to perform poorly when he's asked to play multiple games in a row. Mata hasn't played much over the last couple years, but I feel like he's been left out for a reason. He had some appearances earlier on in the season and looked awful. He has been very good in his latest performances, though.

Both should have left a couple years ago and been replaced with younger players. We need players that can play more than once a week.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We should have, but I guess managers just gave up on managing their game time as it was obvious they couldn't play too much and the work load would be too much for them .
Shame, there was that one stretch were we were absolute dog shit in the middle of the park so ole brings back matic and surprise surprise, we got better, but then he started to ignore him again after awhile.
Well now they're gone so best not to dwell on it too much just another thing to add to the list of our shortcomings since Fergie left.

Both true consummate professionals, wish them the best.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Let's not get carried away over Mata. We've seen a few of these good performances against poor opposition where he's given loads of time on the ball. Then we've played him next game and he's been completely dominated.
Whereas the players who have been selected consistently have been wonderful and never had a bad game

All players need a proper run before they can be judged, for confidence and momentum as much as anything else

Orange Tree

We didn't use our squad fully during Ole's tenure.

I expected Ole to know the importance of using subs and fringe players as he is well known being a super sub and how Fergie was a master of rotation.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Thread title says it all.

Persisted too long with overhyped and careless on the ball Pogba when Matic should have played more. Bruno has been too reckless, and maybe it’s because we always expect the Hollywood pass from him, but having Mata on allows us to build up and progress up the pitch waiting for the moment to pass.

Matic and Mata are two seasoned, experienced and calm heads. They play intelligently. Imagine some of the games in the last year or two where we get nervous and it shows in our play. Ole should have used their experience way more.

This thread isn’t to say they should stay, but there’s obviously something still there that many of our other players lack.
Absolutely

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Mata should have played a lot more this season after Brunos form dropped off the planet, that much is true

Varane around town

Let's not get carried away.

Matic looked shattered when he was playing two games a week for us. Mata is good but has physical limitations.

TheRedDevil2019

I disagree regarding recent seasons. For a while I felt both looked like well past their best. Partly due to tactical mishaps in their defense. Especially with Mata bring played out wide and expected to press and defend etc. A slow player lacking in speed is never going to be suited to that role.

I will say that this season both have been missed, especially Mata. The calmness, desire and professionalism both have shown recently suggests to me we should have utilised them more regularly much earlier on in the season (Providing Mata is played centrally). Perhaps we would have took the top 4 race down to wire at the very least.

Both will leave and likely go on to perform admirably at their next club.