We are an awfully coached team

De Gea was one of the best keepers in the world under LVG and Mourinho. According to your logic, don't Ole and his coaching staff deserve fair share of criticism due to DDG's poor form during previous seasons, before we praise them for turning his career around?
De Gea's performance was on a fast decline before Ole was appointed at United. Just look back at De Gea in the 2018 world cup as an example.

Ole and has coaching team completely turned Luke Shaw's career around too - he was done at too level football under Mourinho. Under Ole and his coaches Shaw is one of the best full backs around for club and country.

OldTrevil

It's such a chore to watch us these days I have to psyche myself to watch our games. A slight reminder of some of the Louis era. LVG ball was boring but at least you could see his ideas were hampered by limited players. Ole has good players but they play like a Sunday league team full of cliques that only meet for vibes and point scoring on who gets the most goal and assists.

Chappie1984

De Gea's performance was on a fast decline before Ole was appointed at United. Just look back at De Gea in the 2018 world cup as an example.

Ole and has coaching team completely turned Luke Shaw's career around too - he was done at too level football under Mourinho. Under Ole and his coaches Shaw is one of the best full backs around for club and country.
Slightly short sighted wasn't de dea pitiful last season under ole? Think it was de geas own initiative to improve and come back as uniteds number one this season, you can't realistically believe ole has credit for this along with Shaw mourinho destroyed his Confidence not his ability so with a arm around him he would always be back to his best,ole is a poor manager that would not get a job in the prem if it wasn't for him playing for united,he is tactically shit and his game management is just as bad,to his credit he has been what has been needed for the club over the last couple of seasons in regards to getting the good feelings back internally and recruitment back on track but we will see this season how out of his depth he is,the next 6 games will be telling,I have little confidence unless we get moments of magic like yesterday from individuals,were going to have a hard time,ole was needed to do the same job as Lampard and then as xhelsea did we will need to take that step up in coaching ability to be competitive,I wouldn't want to see him humiliated as he is a repectable man but when everyone starts judging him on the job he is paid very well to do with the quality in the group and what he is turning out I can see it getting messy

ti vu

Or it's just DDG shaken badly mentally by that disastrous World Cup campaign despite coming into it off a heroic season.

Carrick dropped off the cliff after Rome. Then having few a years where he played below his standard, yet toward in SAF final two years, Carrick went on to hit a height never seen before from him. It's not SAF coaching that destroyed and rebuilt him. It's a personal struggling that need time to overcome.

It's not like DDG has transformed his goalkeeping style and benefit from this new style. He's not convincingly claiming crosses, bully opponent player trying to impeding him during set piece, sweeping outside his box, and have composure and consistent pass like VdS...

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
I just read the article with John O'Shea saying 'Sancho will come good'

Yeah, sure he needs more time, but I'm feeling like that coaching staff are not up to the task as to how to fit in an 85M Euro player that scored 25 goals in the Bundesliga
Thanks to John O for trying but this is just depressing

MichaelRed

How so? Our record last season was absolutely abysmal. We had the second-worst record in the league, only one behind Leeds.

Not looking particularly solid this season either.
We had the worst % of goals conceded from set pieces. Even worse than Leeds.

MichaelRed

Just thought I'd give it a stab at answering your points.
1) we are much improved at defending set pieces, still not perfect mind, but definitely better.
2) Again we're not perfect against the top teams but we had some good results against the top teams last season too.
3) It's not Oles job to make money, why would he sell to strengthen a potential rival? That'd be stupid. Likewise with Donny, what good does it do to send him out in loan and weaken our midfield resources?
4) We don't play with out and out wingers, but having a player natural on the right as Sancho is will assist the way we want to play.
5) Ole has eluded to this, he needs to find the answer.
6) Ole has used more players that Klopp and Pep last season, despite Liverpool's injury 'crisis'. This Ole doesn't rotate story is a myth.
7) We have only been after a midfielder this season, we brought in DVDB in the hope he could do a job, alas he can't. There were no realistic options available for the money United had this window.
8) this is debatable and subjective. We don't have a set style, but we do have a mode of playing. But it's funny how people laughed at Van Gaal talking about philosophies, yet now want a philosophy/style under Ole.
9) I don't know of a game we've been dominated in for the full 85 minutes? There may be games where we have been under pressure in moments, Ole has made mistakes with his subs, but has also won games with his changes.
10) we lost against the minnows but beat the team we lost to in the final last season, I'd call that learning.
11) Like whom? Everyone seems to be playing in their rightful place, Pogba possibly playing in a slightly unorthodox position but that'll probably change once Rashford is fit.
12) Not very often, considering Lindelof has barely ayes since Varane joined. We very rarely ay a long ball, quite often preferring to play it out from the back.
Also, if you do seriously believe that we are a route one team, doesn't that signify a style of play? So which is it, we have a style or We're not a route one team?
1) We're not improved, we've statistically gotten worse year on year when it comes to goals conceded from set pieces. This isn't a debate, just a fact.
2) The argument is Ole isn't improving & even if we have had the odd good result we have, again statistically, gotten worse results against the top teams the longer Ole has been in charge.
3) It's not Ole's job to make money but by that logic we should never sell anybody? Why refuse the sale of a player you've no intention of using when you could use the sale to raise funds for a purchase of a player that you actually think will improve your squad?
4) Ok I guess you're just agreeing with me here that it's stupid to be using him as an inverted forward instead of on the right where he could be more creative.
5) Agreed but we haven't looked any closer to the answer in 3 years.
6) I'd have to look deeper into this to debate it further but I suspect Ole used more players but for less minutes if that makes sense. i.e if we have a squad of 26 and play 11 players for 36 games and 15 players get 1 or 2 games then we've statistically used more players than a squad of 22 that gave all 22 players 19 games each. It wouldn't tell the whole picture about our rotation though. I also think Liverpool are a poor example because they've been widely criticised for lack of rotation for years & everyone predicted they'd burn out and run into an injury crisis as they did last year so they're hardly the standard for rotation.
7) Yea, we've only been after a midfielder this season. That's bad on its own because it was clear we've needed one from the start of his reign. DVB was brought in instead of Grealish remember so he wasn't even intended as a CDM that just didn't work out.
8) Idk if it's fair to say we laughed at LvG for having a philosophy but now we want Ole to have one. There's a difference between having no philosophy, having a bad philosophy & having a good one. LvG had a philosophy that was too rigid & didn't work, that doesn't mean having a philosophy in general doesn't work as evidenced by all the most successful managers in the world right now currently having clear identities on the pitch.
9) We're pretty much in agreement here, I did say he has won games with his changes, just that he too often leaves it too late. Too many times it clearly isn't working after 60 minutes & we then waste the 61st-80th minutes watching it continue to not work as it hadn't in the previous hour before making a final 10 minute sub. It wouldn't hurt to change things after 60 minutes if we're clearly going nowhere.
10) I think it's disingenuous to say we're learning because we beat Villarreal when we had previously lost to them. If you watch both games back to back we were poor in both but we were actually much worse in the game that we won. We should have been 4 or 5 goals down by half time and only hung on by the grace of God. That example is actually more evidence of a backwards step than anything. If we played the Villarreal Europa League final 10 times we'd probably have won it 5 out of 10 times as it was just a 50:50 game that ended 11-10 on penalties. If we replay last nights game 10 times we probably win it 1 out of 10 times because we were put to the sword all night.
11) My opinion on players out of position currently is Pogba as a LW, Sancho isn't totally out of position at LW but would best suit us at RW, McTominay isn't a CDM and never will be so he's most definitely out of position, Fred isn't a natural CDM, never played as a DM for Shaktar & has said himself that he wasn't a CDM but he's trying to learn the roll (he's literally said this within the last 2 weeks), Martial seemingly can't be decided upon whether he's a striker or a winger although that seems like it'll be a non-issue this season because I don't see him getting much game time. I probably forgot one or two people here but you get my point.
12) I was referring to last night when talking about Lindelof, not the season in general. When it's not him it's Maguire playing the long ball straight over the top. As for whether I think we have a style and it's hoofball or we don't have a style I don't know. Are we just long balling it because we don't have a style in place & so it's just a punt by the players on the pitch or is it just that they're being told to long-ball it? I don't know which it is but I don't care either to be honest as either way is completely unacceptable.

I enjoyed your responses btw :) Nice to see someone actually put forward arguments other than "I'm not going to bother making an argument in an online discussion forum because it's easier to just insult you.".

Danillaco

Have to share this...when my son was 4 he told me he wanted to support Man City. With the ghosts of 3 generations of Utd fans at my back...I got his Pokemon backpack, put some clothes in it, his toothbrush, some custard creams which I knew he liked...and I placed it at the front door. I told him the last 4 years had been great and everything but he would have to go.

After a few tears, he saw the light and has been a Utd fan ever since. He is 12 now, and as we watched PSG and City the other night play football of such quality and conviction - the guilt that had been building over the previous 8 years got the better of me for the first time...I apologised to him. He looked puzzled...never seen his auld man so vulnerable before...he said don’t worry dad- I love Utd now and we are gonna batter Villarreal. I smiled and hugged him...and with a tear in my eye...I said “Shut the fuk up son...we have no patterns of play”.

Anyway- point being, watching top teams play good football just makes watching us ever harder.
Hahahahaha. This is gold.

I just read the article with John O'Shea saying 'Sancho will come good'

Yeah, sure he needs more time, but I'm feeling like that coaching staff are not up to the task as to how to fit in an 85M Euro player that scored 25 goals in the Bundesliga
Thanks to John O for trying but this is just depressing
Ffs, Sancho has played 5 or 6 games. How about we wait and see what happens.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Have to share this...when my son was 4 he told me he wanted to support Man City. With the ghosts of 3 generations of Utd fans at my back...I got his Pokemon backpack, put some clothes in it, his toothbrush, some custard creams which I knew he liked...and I placed it at the front door. I told him the last 4 years had been great and everything but he would have to go.

After a few tears, he saw the light and has been a Utd fan ever since. He is 12 now, and as we watched PSG and City the other night play football of such quality and conviction - the guilt that had been building over the previous 8 years got the better of me for the first time...I apologised to him. He looked puzzled...never seen his auld man so vulnerable before...he said don’t worry dad- I love Utd now and we are gonna batter Villarreal. I smiled and hugged him...and with a tear in my eye...I said “Shut the fuk up son...we have no patterns of play”.

Anyway- point being, watching top teams play good football just makes watching us ever harder.
:lol:

Foxbatt

Or it's just DDG shaken badly mentally by that disastrous World Cup campaign despite coming into it off a heroic season.

Carrick dropped off the cliff after Rome. Then having few a years where he played below his standard, yet toward in SAF final two years, Carrick went on to hit a height never seen before from him. It's not SAF coaching that destroyed and rebuilt him. It's a personal struggling that need time to overcome.

It's not like DDG has transformed his goalkeeping style and benefit from this new style. He's not convincingly claiming crosses, bully opponent player trying to impeding him during set piece, sweeping outside his box, and have composure and consistent pass like VdS...
It goes both ways I guess. Lingard lost his form at United, went to West Ham and got it back. So full credit for Moyes for improving him and was it due to Ole that he played so badly before? No it is not. It is as you say personal struggles. DeGea was a top keeper and got his form back. The same with Lingard. Moyes did not coach him any better than what he learnt at United.

El Jefe

:lol: post of the year.

Marcus

In terms of coaching improvements, I would say our offeinsive set-pieces have improved no? Possibly new ideas from the new coach we brought in? Ole is a good man-manager. If he builds a solid coaching team, he can emulate Sir Alex.

Marcus

This is a work of art. :lol::lol::lol:

lawliet354

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The last sentence is so true it hurts

432JuanMata

The better the squad is getting the more this stands out, yes the CM is bad but we look disjointed most of the time. Over the last few years when we played like this most out it down too the players as we did lack quality but with the squad getting stronger it stands out much more

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If you keep on adding quality result will improve bar any changing room unrest. So naturally as we add sancho varane ronaldo on top of maguire bruno and pogba we'd naturally become a better team. Ronaldo alone would guarantee a few good points on his own where we normally drew or lost

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol: Excellent

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Are there people still arguing we aren't an awfully coached team, when the eye test tells us what we need to know aleardy?

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
In terms of coaching improvements, I would say our offeinsive set-pieces have improved no? Possibly new ideas from the new coach we brought in? Ole is a good man-manager. If he builds a solid coaching team, he can emulate Sir Alex.
He won't and he can't. He has very specific biases and that will cost him. SAF was ruthless in the right moments, I don't see that with Ole. And to compare him to SAF is so wrong, as SAF won big trophies while Ole has been mediocre manager. He would be treated differently if he would not be a former player with legendary status

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
1) We're not improved, we've statistically gotten worse year on year when it comes to goals conceded from set pieces. This isn't a debate, just a fact.
2) The argument is Ole isn't improving & even if we have had the odd good result we have, again statistically, gotten worse results against the top teams the longer Ole has been in charge.
3) It's not Ole's job to make money but by that logic we should never sell anybody? Why refuse the sale of a player you've no intention of using when you could use the sale to raise funds for a purchase of a player that you actually think will improve your squad?
4) Ok I guess you're just agreeing with me here that it's stupid to be using him as an inverted forward instead of on the right where he could be more creative.
5) Agreed but we haven't looked any closer to the answer in 3 years.
6) I'd have to look deeper into this to debate it further but I suspect Ole used more players but for less minutes if that makes sense. i.e if we have a squad of 26 and play 11 players for 36 games and 15 players get 1 or 2 games then we've statistically used more players than a squad of 22 that gave all 22 players 19 games each. It wouldn't tell the whole picture about our rotation though. I also think Liverpool are a poor example because they've been widely criticised for lack of rotation for years & everyone predicted they'd burn out and run into an injury crisis as they did last year so they're hardly the standard for rotation.
7) Yea, we've only been after a midfielder this season. That's bad on its own because it was clear we've needed one from the start of his reign. DVB was brought in instead of Grealish remember so he wasn't even intended as a CDM that just didn't work out.
8) Idk if it's fair to say we laughed at LvG for having a philosophy but now we want Ole to have one. There's a difference between having no philosophy, having a bad philosophy & having a good one. LvG had a philosophy that was too rigid & didn't work, that doesn't mean having a philosophy in general doesn't work as evidenced by all the most successful managers in the world right now currently having clear identities on the pitch.
9) We're pretty much in agreement here, I did say he has won games with his changes, just that he too often leaves it too late. Too many times it clearly isn't working after 60 minutes & we then waste the 61st-80th minutes watching it continue to not work as it hadn't in the previous hour before making a final 10 minute sub. It wouldn't hurt to change things after 60 minutes if we're clearly going nowhere.
10) I think it's disingenuous to say we're learning because we beat Villarreal when we had previously lost to them. If you watch both games back to back we were poor in both but we were actually much worse in the game that we won. We should have been 4 or 5 goals down by half time and only hung on by the grace of God. That example is actually more evidence of a backwards step than anything. If we played the Villarreal Europa League final 10 times we'd probably have won it 5 out of 10 times as it was just a 50:50 game that ended 11-10 on penalties. If we replay last nights game 10 times we probably win it 1 out of 10 times because we were put to the sword all night.
11) My opinion on players out of position currently is Pogba as a LW, Sancho isn't totally out of position at LW but would best suit us at RW, McTominay isn't a CDM and never will be so he's most definitely out of position, Fred isn't a natural CDM, never played as a DM for Shaktar & has said himself that he wasn't a CDM but he's trying to learn the roll (he's literally said this within the last 2 weeks), Martial seemingly can't be decided upon whether he's a striker or a winger although that seems like it'll be a non-issue this season because I don't see him getting much game time. I probably forgot one or two people here but you get my point.
12) I was referring to last night when talking about Lindelof, not the season in general. When it's not him it's Maguire playing the long ball straight over the top. As for whether I think we have a style and it's hoofball or we don't have a style I don't know. Are we just long balling it because we don't have a style in place & so it's just a punt by the players on the pitch or is it just that they're being told to long-ball it? I don't know which it is but I don't care either to be honest as either way is completely unacceptable.

I enjoyed your responses btw :) Nice to see someone actually put forward arguments other than "I'm not going to bother making an argument in an online discussion forum because it's easier to just insult you.".
Every one has their own opinion of things, so I'm willing to listen and respond to people who engage in sensible debate!

I've read through your responses and whilst some are fair enough, some are clutching at straws for me.
The results against the top 6 may be getting slightly worse than his first season, but we have improved our league position season on season so this isn't really a major issue, obviously beating the better teams gives a better chance of winning the league but we haven't played a traditional top 6 side yet so the jury is out on this one.
As for selling Romero or VDB, nobody came in with the money for VDB, so pointless letting go on loan when we don't have numbers in the middle, also letting Romero go to a rival team is just insane. Nobody wanted VDB for money, just loan.

As for saying we aren't learning despite beating a team we lost too last season...that just seems like selective information taking.

United under Ole are far from a long ball team, any passing stats you care to visit will show you that.
I think when under a high press we often utilise the pace of our wide players in order to go a bit longer, but we do that far far less than say Liverpool who have a higher percentage of longer passes than us.

I think overall Ole has learnt from last mistakes, hence the reason he sticks with McFred in the middle for example, he knows and has seen if we play a slightly different way we often leave ourselves exposed through the middle.
Also season in season we have improved, both in terms of finishing position and for me anyhow in terms of dictating games.

thesheriffjw

Ole is out of his depth.

He now has Ronaldo and Cavani as his 2 forwards, players who thrive with crosses into the box.

What does ole do? He plays a rightfooter on the left and a leftfooter on the right. This will require either player cutting back onto their stronger foot, to cross.

In SAF days it was about playing right on right and left on left, with both wingers putting early crosses into the box.

This is whats needed for ronaldo and cavani. Early crosses for 2 players that are deadly in the box.

20 shots a game is no good, if you are not shooting from scorable positions.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ole is out of his depth.

He now has Ronaldo and Cavani as his 2 forwards, players who thrive with crosses into the box.

What does ole do? He plays a rightfooter on the left and a leftfooter on the right. This will require either player cutting back onto their stronger foot, to cross.

In SAF days it was about playing right on right and left on left, with both wingers putting early crosses into the box.

This is whats needed for ronaldo and cavani. Early crosses for 2 players that are deadly in the box.

I think the idea of playing wide players who cut in is to allow the fullbacks to get forward and create an overload in the middle, hence giving the space out wide.

When you have Dalot and Telles, both of whom can put in a decent ball then that what you'd want, albeit we ended up with Fred on the left anyhow.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Ole is out of his depth.

I agree with this – it is criminal to have players like Cavani or Ronaldo upfront, and barely give them a single decent cross off of which to attack. Especially early crosses as their movement is so good. As soon as we cut back, slow things down, we lose their biggest strengths.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

This is exactly right.

There was a spell in the game just after Telles scored where we did move the ball quickly and we looked a different team. As soon as we slow play down, we are reliant on a moment of magic from an individual player.

Both Cavani and Ronaldo will constantly make runs in behind the defenders – but they are so rarely picked out, with the player with the ball instead stopping, hesitating and passing sideways or backwards.

We have perhaps the two best strikers in the world in terms of movement – yet we don't play to this.

I also think that a faster tempo would really help Sancho establish himself. He is being given the ball while he is static on the wing, with two players near him and being expected to create something.

Hopefully the emphasis in training will help this and help our play – not only is our slow, methodical build-up not allowing us to reach our potential and make the most of the players we have...it is also incredibly boring and frustrating to watch!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Slightly short sighted wasn't de dea pitiful last season under ole? Think it was de geas own initiative to improve and come back as uniteds number one this season, you can't realistically believe ole has credit for this along with Shaw mourinho destroyed his Confidence not his ability so with a arm around him he would always be back to his best,ole is a poor manager that would not get a job in the prem if it wasn't for him playing for united,he is tactically shit and his game management is just as bad,to his credit he has been what has been needed for the club over the last couple of seasons in regards to getting the good feelings back internally and recruitment back on track but we will see this season how out of his depth he is,the next 6 games will be telling,I have little confidence unless we get moments of magic like yesterday from individuals,were going to have a hard time,ole was needed to do the same job as Lampard and then as xhelsea did we will need to take that step up in coaching ability to be competitive,I wouldn't want to see him humiliated as he is a repectable man but when everyone starts judging him on the job he is paid very well to do with the quality in the group and what he is turning out I can see it getting messy
“ole was needed to do the same job as Lampard”

What, feck up completely in a matter of months?

largelyworried

This is exactly right.

There was a spell in the game just after Telles scored where we did move the ball quickly and we looked a different team. As soon as we slow play down, we are reliant on a moment of magic from an individual player.

Both Cavani and Ronaldo will constantly make runs in behind the defenders – but they are so rarely picked out, with the player with the ball instead stopping, hesitating and passing sideways or backwards.

We have perhaps the two best strikers in the world in terms of movement – yet we don't play to this.

I also think that a faster tempo would really help Sancho establish himself. He is being given the ball while he is static on the wing, with two players near him and being expected to create something.

Hopefully the emphasis in training will help this and help our play – not only is our slow, methodical build-up not allowing us to reach our potential and make the most of the players we have...it is also incredibly boring and frustrating to watch!
Honestly, I see this totally the other way, I think our problem is a lack of control. We have too many players whose first thought is to make the quick risky forward pass instead of thinking 4 or 5 passes ahead. Yes you might make a couple more chances per game like that, but the price is that is that you leave the door open for the opposition.

If you look at our worst performances this season - Wolves, Villa, Villareal - the common theme is that we never had control of the game, really at any stage. We made chances in all of them, but so did our opponents.

Given that our defensive record is currently so abysmal (1 clean sheet in 18 games i think, going into last season) at this point I think we need control more than we need even more direct pacey transitions.

spiriticon

'Kin hell. Did the coaching staff need Cristiano Ronaldo to tell them that??? Was it not blatantly obvious for the last 8 years that slow zombie passing in the final third is a problem for us?

FML

Womp

idiot

If it's taken them 3 years and a player literally telling them to identify that we need to play faster football, then Ole and his staff are worse than I thought. This is nothing but PR, same with that rubbish before the season how we'd play a more 'attacking 433' it's been the same dire tactics/formation despite spending a further 150m on an already very impressive squad.

No matter which way you spin this, it makes them look bad. If they were aware but didn't work on it: was their intention to play slow, shite football? Or if they didn't identify it, how clueless do you have to be not to be able to identify the fact that our football needs to be better in that time.

The reality is somewhere in the middle for me: they knew we needed to play better football but they're simply not good enough to implement it, so are using leaks like these as PR

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
If it's taken them 3 years and a player literally telling them to identify that we need to play faster football, then Ole and his staff are worse than I thought. This is nothing but PR, same with that rubbish before the season how we'd play a more 'attacking 433' it's been the same dire tactics/formation despite spending a further 150m on an already very impressive squad.

No matter which way you spin this, it makes them look bad. If they were aware but didn't work on it: was their intention to play slow, shite football? Or if they didn't identify it, how clueless do you have to be not to be able to identify the fact that our football needs to be better in that time.

The reality is somewhere in the middle for me: they knew we needed to play better football but they're simply not good enough to implement it, so are using leaks like these as PR
I feel like “get the ball to the attackers more quickly” probably means more direct/long balls. I think we have enough of that already…

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

What a masterpiece. I was half expecting the son to mention something about desire, passion and fight.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
As if Ogden knows that Ronaldo has said anything like that. Speculative nonsense.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is probably the best post in the history of redcafe :lol:

Nikelesh Reddy

There’s no doubt that compared to the other top teams in England,our style of play/performances are very very poor.There’s absolutely no cohesion in our play….Our defensive organisation is horrible….We don’t have a consistent,steady,effective style of play….I have been very dissapointed with the quality of our performances over the last few weeks.If we dnot improve rapidly,we could end up facing another dissapointing season….

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Up until the goal against Villa, we were up there with city and chelsea for the only clubs who didn't conceded from a set piece this season.
Yeah, I'm not talking about goals conceded this season. I know it's only that one against Villa, but we don't look that solid, even when we don't concede. Like last season.