We are an awfully coached team

Marwood

Ha ha... Don’t know who you try to fool..

United was never lower than nr.4 with Ron (1981-1986) and won FA-cup in 83 and 85. He was fired after two months into the 86/87 season.

I’m a fan of United and SAF, but I’m not pretending SAF is God or a wizard. Even though I’m fan of SAF, I try to be balanced and nuanced.
I don't think nuance is needed when talking about SAF's achievement. No second guessing required really. It's like debating if Margot Robbie is attractive. There is no debate.

When you say he's "probably" one of the greatest managers I'd be interested to hear who you think is definitely one of the greatest.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How is this garbage thread still going?

Polar

I don't think nuance is needed when talking about SAF's achievement. No second guessing required really. It's like debating if Margot Robbie is attractive. There is no debate.

When you say he's "probably" one of the greatest managers I'd be interested to hear who you think is definitely one of the greatest.
We aren’t debating SAF’s success and achievement. It’s about SAF taking over a consistent top-4 team and also him needed time to build up what became one of the best teams in the world. He wasn’t a miracle man from the beginning, but had to develop the club step by step.

Marwood

We aren’t debating SAF’s success and achievement. It’s about SAF taking over a consistent top-4 team and also him needed time to build up what became one of the best teams in the world. He wasn’t a miracle man from the beginning, but had to develop the club step by step.
Honestly it reads more that you're not that keen on SAF. I know you say you're "a fan", which in itself is slightly strange for a United supporter to say.

But you've also said, he's only "probably" one of the best managers in the world, called him just a building brick in United's success over 26 years, questioned if he'd have been succesful elsewhere, then doubted him in the completely hypothetical scenario of him not retiring when he did.

I don't think every single thing he did was perfect, the man himself won't. But your take is one of the most unusual I've seen from a United fan.

Again if Fergie was "probably" one of the best managers in the world, who was definitely one of the best?

Reactions: Cheimoon

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Absolutely no idea.
I think it's now officially replaced the ole in/out thread.
Round and round we go.
You'll notice most of the posters keeping this car crash going are those that think half of our squad is shit and predicted us to finish outside the top 4. Its really inconvenient for them that we're in 2nd.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
?? I’m aware of his achievements from old days but I’m talking about modern football.

Seems like people think United was a nobody when SAF took over. He probably took over a club in better condition than Ole, but still it took him 6y to improve the whole system, hereby also improving the squad and the culture.

Off course SAF was the architect behind the restructuring, but it also shows success depends on a good system (academy and so on) and also that it takes time to restructure a club and build a competitive squad.

At the same time I don’t think the best academy can guarantee a generation like the class of 92. SAF did it right, but at the same time: if you are good enough, you are old enough. Maybe they were to good to be ignored.

I already said I’m a fan of SAF and consider him as one of the best managers of his time.

My point is that success or failure isn’t a one man show. Success is a result of both a good system, manager, academy and quality players. This isn’t done over night or a couple of years.
Yeah like I thought you are clueless about United. That is one of the dumbest comments I've read on the caf.
Yes... but Ron was fired two months into the season, which makes the story more nuanced.

Why do you question I’m a fan only because I’m saying: “success and failure isn’t a result of only on person: “SAF likely didn’t everything right all the time”.
  1. Are the above mentioned points wrong?
  2. Am I godless (talking about SAF)? Probably Yes
  3. Am I fan of SAF? Yes
  4. Am I fan of United? Yes
  5. Is SAF one of the most successful managers in history? Yes
United was patient with SAF and he also was allowed to stay for 26-27 years, to become an institution himself. What system was left when SAF retired? What was the state of the squad when SAF left? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t his proudest moment.
He left us as champions. The squad needed rebuilding he knew that when he left it and part of the reason why he retired when he did was because he couldn't stay another few seasons to over see another rebuild. But it wasn't as bad as Moyes made it to look, with a better manager we could've finished top four that season. We spent enough money to arguably build a better team but we wasted so much money. Is that on Sir Alex too?

Polar

Honestly it reads more that you're not that keen on SAF. I know you say you're "a fan", which in itself is slightly strange for a United supporter to say.

But you've also said, he's only "probably" one of the best managers in the world, called him just a building brick in United's success over 26 years, questioned if he'd have been succesful elsewhere, then doubted him in the completely hypothetical scenario of him not retiring when he did.

I don't think every single thing he did was perfect, the man himself won't. But your take is one of the most unusual I've seen from a United fan.

Again if Fergie was "probably" one of the best managers in the world, who was definitely one of the best?
Maradona is among the best players during history, maybe the best. The same can be said about SAF. So I agree it was wrong to say he probably was one of the best managers in the world.

I also said SAF was a very important brick, but not the only brick. Many former players say the greatest success-factor was that United had many leaders in the squad and on the pitch at the same time; the winning mentality among the players. Group dynamics and class of 92 wasn’t a development only controlled by SAF.

I think SAF and United was perfect for each other, but we will never know if he had been able to repeat his success in another comparable club. “Not knowing” and “doubting” isn’t necessarily the same.

I also think it’s nonsense and not relevant to compare SAF and Ole. What’s the point?

My point (again) was to say managers often needs time to build a winning team, and SAF was used as an good example. Why shouldn’t we show the same patience today?

stw2022

Yeah, but folk aren't comparing Alex Ferguson the GOAT against Ole, are they?

They are comparing Ole's first two years at United to Alex Ferguson's first two years at United...

What I'm tired of is fans who aren't open-minded to understand this... and who can only judge Alex on his entire career... D'yall forget he took 6 years to win a title, because he was building in the background for hopeful long-term success?

Given that Ole is also building in the background towards long-term success, his first two years versus Alex's first two years are notable comparisons. VERY notable.

Ferguson arrived an established manager, winning trophies, having success on the European stage and remains to this day the last non-Old Firm manager to lift the league title in Scotland. There was a reason for us to have patience with him.

With all due respect to his career in Norway the only real reason why Ole is even employed is "played for us once"

He absolutely nowhere near deserves or has shown he merits the same level of faith the club had in Ferguson 35 years ago.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
When I see that 1st half vs Everton, the match vs Man City, and the match today vs West Ham, I laugh at threads like these and the posters who propagate the whole idea we are a poorly coached team.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Ferguson arrived an established manager, winning trophies, having success on the European stage and remains to this day the last non-Old Firm manager to lift the league title in Scotland. There was a reason for us to have patience with him.

With all due respect to his career in Norway the only real reason why Ole is even employed is "played for us once"

He absolutely nowhere near deserves or has shown he merits the same level of faith the club had in Ferguson 35 years ago.
Yes, I'm sure just anyone could have taken over their local club and taken them to their first ever national league title and then successfully defend it the next year.

And saying he "played for us once" is incredibly demeaning to Ole's career. He had 126 goals in 366 appearances for United over 10 years including being the club's top scorer while we won the title in 1996-97. He's a genuine Premier League and United legend. If that doesn't give you some goodwill from the club to enhance an already fairly impressive CV albeit in a weaker league, then what will?

I also do not understand this absolute disgust at the idea that a former long time player would then end up as a coach/manager of a big club early on in their coaching/management career. This has been how most player turned coaches have started historically. You think Cruyff would have gotten the Ajax job so early if he hadn't played for Ajax? Would Pep have gotten the Barca job had he not played for Barca? Would Conte have got the Juve job had he not been a beloved player there for 12 years? This line of argument is beyond absurd and to hold it against Ole is also childish and shallow.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Ole is really similar to the greatest manager of all time. I'm so happy we have him in charge. I wonder why everybody except a minority of united fans can't see how great he is.
Starting to think this may not be sarcasm.

Denis' cuff

Abso
Feckin
Lutely

These "virtual supporters" are either on a wind up or need to get a life...

They have absolutely no idea abut the club they have chosen to support.
full of fecking virgins, this place. They think FM is real life and most don’t even have a job & spend all day/every day on here.

you dont agree with their narrative and they start squealing and then you get accused of not underatanding the poor lambs

wouldn’t know support unless it smacked em in the face in real life. Most OOTs and think they are supporters because they watched United on telly when we were good and now sobbing and whinging .

little cnuts.

good 3pts. The lads stuck in there again even though they are clearly knackered and considering the missing players... most won’t be happy though. It wasn’t Brazil ‘70.

mikel

• There is no concept how to attack a defense that's packed in and soaking up pressure. There's a reason just about all teams play like that against United - because they can't figure it out.
  • This team is stupendously bad against set pieces, has been bad at set pieces and shows no sign of improvement against set pieces
  • Too often substitutes seem - incredibly wrong
  • Look at the response to Moyes substitutions today - there wasn't one. The match changed in an instant and United were under serious pressure every time West Ham came forward. Your primary defense can't always be Harry Maguire being in position to block every hard shot.
  • Much too inconsistent. You can't go into these 4-5 match tailspins they go into. The manager has to prevent that if you're going to win a championship.
Too many people saying 'we're 2nd, that proves he's a good manager'. He is a good manager, I'll give anyone that. He turned the team around and all credit due for that. The problem is this - is he good enough? This team has hit a plateau and I don't see a sign OGS has a plan to get this team to the next level. Seriously, what do people see that says we won't be sitting here in 5 years talking about how bad United are a set pieces? What constant improvement in strategy and tactics and all of the rest of it are you seeing that some of us are not? Quit quoting the record, its not about that. This team has enough talent that any good coach should put them top 4. Its about showing signs he can get this team to the next level. It just feels like he stopped progressing. Every coach needs time, but just like a player - you want to see constant progress.

Denis' cuff

Insulting another member
Salford used to be in the 8th tier - so that’s what your expectations are! Getting a nose bleed in League 2 now you! You wouldn’t complain if we got relegated. Glazers love doormats like you who take all sorts of shit without a single objection. If every United fan had your lame mindset, we’d probably be where Salford are, League 2.

Sir Matt set his team up to attack hard, to live up to the expectations of the fans who worked hard all week. You think they accepted all sorts of shite like you? You probably wanted Moyes to remain in charge after the 13-14 season.

You had too much to drink or something? Go to bed lad. I’ve never even been to Gloucester. Clueless tripe, your posts in this thread. Love how you haven’t responded to any of the points I made in my previous posts about Ole as well.

wtf have Salford got to do with it you simpleton? Get off the Ice or whatever bravery pills you’re on.

the Glazers? I Bought shares to try to keep them out. What did you do? Probably sat on your lazy arse like you did when the Brexit vote was on and then blamed others For the outcome.

wtf do you know about United under Sir Matt? I’ve forgotten more about Uniteds history than you’ll ever know.

Sorry didn’t answer your every post. Better and more important things to do unlike losers such as you.

bye :D

UDontMessWith24

full of fecking virgins, this place. They think FM is real life and most don’t even have a job & spend all day/every day on here.

you dont agree with their narrative and they start squealing and then you get accused of not underatanding the poor lambs

wouldn’t know support unless it smacked em in the face in real life. Most OOTs and think they are supporters because they watched United on telly when we were good and now sobbing and whinging .

little cnuts.

good 3pts. The lads stuck in there again even though they are clearly knackered and considering the missing players... most won’t be happy though. It wasn’t Brazil ‘70.
The irony :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Abraxas

• There is no concept how to attack a defense that's packed in and soaking up pressure. There's a reason just about all teams play like that against United - because they can't figure it out.
  • This team is stupendously bad against set pieces, has been bad at set pieces and shows no sign of improvement against set pieces
  • Too often substitutes seem - incredibly wrong
  • Look at the response to Moyes substitutions today - there wasn't one. The match changed in an instant and United were under serious pressure every time West Ham came forward. Your primary defense can't always be Harry Maguire being in position to block every hard shot.
  • Much too inconsistent. You can't go into these 4-5 match tailspins they go into. The manager has to prevent that if you're going to win a championship.
Too many people saying 'we're 2nd, that proves he's a good manager'. He is a good manager, I'll give anyone that. He turned the team around and all credit due for that. The problem is this - is he good enough? This team has hit a plateau and I don't see a sign OGS has a plan to get this team to the next level. Seriously, what do people see that says we won't be sitting here in 5 years talking about how bad United are a set pieces? What constant improvement in strategy and tactics and all of the rest of it are you seeing that some of us are not? Quit quoting the record, its not about that. This team has enough talent that any good coach should put them top 4. Its about showing signs he can get this team to the next level. It just feels like he stopped progressing. Every coach needs time, but just like a player - you want to see constant progress.
Why should progress should be constant? There are many areas of life where progress is far from linear. The more complex the problem is the less right you have to expect any constancy in improvement, and Manchester United certainly was not a simple problem as the previous managers can attest. If you have to get players out of the club, initiate a style of play, shift a culture, improve inconsistent young players and recruit correctly then it is reasonable to expect that development is going to fluctuate as individual elements of those things are addressed and setbacks occur. They are just a few of the headline areas that are easy for us to identify as fans and extrapolate from performances, there are many more things that fall within the managers remit.

It's more important that over a longer period of time improvement can be identified, constancy is more dependent on short term factors which are incredibly volatile in football. For example, we signed Bruno Fernandes and were immediately a much better football team, progress plotted pre and post Fernandes would appear dramatic, but we can't sign Fernandes every week and signings will not always be that successful.

From the time Ole was brought in until this point there has been progress compared to previous managers taken in their totality - that is visible in results and points, and many would argue that it is also measurable empirically by other metrics. Whether it is at the rate you and some other people would like is of course a question to be discussed but I would argue there is a need for patience and reflection overall by fans.

FatherWolff

Some people here can't really handle different opinions.
Handle them or listening to them are two separate things. Simple solutions to complexity have never been of interest. Not now, not in the past, and certainly not for the future. But if people like to marginalise themselves.

tomaldinho1

I love the SAF sidetrack this thread took briefly, a bizarre twist to the tale of Ole and his coaching.

FatherWolff

I love the SAF sidetrack this thread took briefly, a bizarre twist to the tale of Ole and his coaching.
Yes, let us not use references when looking at a picture! Although football have moved light years, the principle stands. And let’s pretend the last 1 1/2 year has not been all about restitution. Ole should make McFred able to pass a ball and have us playing much better than the sum of our parts! Like Klopp. With his pedigree.

Foxbatt

It is not awful coaching but our coaching is not good enough for a club that wants to win trophies. We do not pass well and it is almost due to individual brilliance or individual stupidity. It is rare that our forwards will create for other forwards. It seems that everyone wants to score individually rather than create one for another team mate. Or else the pass is horrible or our players do not get into position. These are coaching issues. I do not think the players will deliberately disobey the manager. Lets say if Martial is told repeatedly that it is his job to move the near post or far post for any cross, I do not think he is going to disobey. If he does repeatedly then Ole should call him out on it and drop him. This is an example.

Rajma

I think that majority of our fans are masochists. I don’t have any other explanation how so many of you can be content with this shit, honestly. Many of you probably don’t even enjoy football I guess if you can somehow see the progress in us.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Milan are decent but it's men against boys out there . They are first to everything and are actually creating chances while Ole's boys can't string two passes together. This is embarrassing for Manchester United but seems like it's acceptable now .

::sonny::

That second place in the league is only an unrepeatable matter of luck and casualty

Champions league and Europe league shows the real level, which is very low

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
You can't coach skill into a player. Some of our players are not top quality.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
How the hell are we second in the league ?
How did Fred become a professional footballer ?
How is Daniel James play for Manchester United ?

Basically Milan misses their 3 best attackers, 1 RB, 1 CB and still dominate us.

PoTMS

Tonight is another example of proper coaching versus the lack of.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Going into the game I thought Zlatan would see a lot of his teammates from the 16/17 season. In actuality, he only played with Shaw and Rashford that season from our starting line-up, which surprised me as it feels like he was only here yesterday.

So many new players since then, but we have not played consistently good football over a decent period of time once. We really need to address the root of the problem which is a coaching issue. We get outplayed by teams we really shouldn't be outplayed by.

Infra-red

Unless you give us a load of space to run into, we're absolutely useless. It's been this way for five years now and it is getting quite boring to watch. Our passing is just painfully bad and shows no sign of improvement.

Can't we sign a few playmakers (and get in someone on the coaching side who actually knows how to use them). It's just 'headless chicken' amateur hour at the moment, with a team full of try-hard runners, utterly devoid of either organisation or technical quality.

Womp

idiot
You can't coach skill into a player. Some of our players are not top quality.
Yes you can. Literally the team we are competing against currently is a clear example of that, along with COUNTLESS other examples throughout Europe. Unless AC MIlan now have a better squad than us too? We were knocked out of Europe by a inferior Leipzig team who were much better coached than us and it's looking like if we don't completely change shite in the second half, could happen again with a Milan team in the Europa.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Its funny that as soon as we're not playing well this thread and all a number of threads criticising various players spring back into life, which is it, poorly coached or poor players?