g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

We are an awfully coached team

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can anyone give him a participation cup? That's the only cup he can get his hands on as our manager

Monger

Most appropriate thread on this forum.

If we stick with this coaching team we will have to wait as they learn on the job!

oreon

Ole is a really good coach but not elite. He's like Poch. He will get you to the CL but unlikely to win you a trophy.
Now should we replace him ? It depends on the options

Womp

idiot
The whole squad except Mctominay and the defence weren't playing well, so he waits until the fecking end of the game to make a sub. We continue to look clueless against deep defences, we are too slow and pedestrian in our passing, too sloppy in the middle of the pitch as our players lack the coaching to move into open spaces.

He's not good enough. We finished second with 74 fecking points, you're genuinely having a laugh if you think Liverpool, City or Chelsea will have as bad a season next year, they have better coaches. Only way we win major trophies with Ole is if we build a squad so superior that it makes the coaching deficiencies moot. Liverpool had an uncharacteristically bad season under Klopp, whilst being decimated by injuries all season to some of their best players and they only finished 5 points behind us.

I'm sorry but over 2 years in, still no trophies and our football still doesn't look any better than when he joined. We just have better players. That's not good enough for me.

Infra-red

Nothing that hasn't been said a million times before, really.

Can't play out from the back, don't have a clue what to do in the final third and no tempo in our game. We saw tonight exactly why we'll never ever win a major trophy while Ole is the manager.

Fooza

I knew he was inexperienced, but that management today from him was shocking and I am speechless.

Really can't see when we will win a trophy, but he isn't the one to take us there.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This game sums up my problem with Ole - take away the counter attack & all we can rely on is some individual magic, which wasn’t there today. The game was there for the taking & we did feck all. He’s unable to influence a game with tactical changes or subs. The league performance will get him a new contract, but I don’t see us winning a PL or CL under his management.

oreon

The whole squad except Mctominay and the defence weren't playing well, so he waits until the fecking end of the game to make a sub. We continue to look clueless against deep defences, we are too slow and pedestrian in our passing, too sloppy in the middle of the pitch as our players lack the coaching to move into open spaces.

He's not good enough. We finished second with 74 fecking points, you're genuinely having a laugh if you think Liverpool, City or Chelsea will have as bad a season next year, they have better coaches. Only way we win major trophies with Ole is if we build a squad so superior that it makes the coaching deficiencies moot. Liverpool had an uncharacteristically bad season under Klopp, whilst being decimated by injuries all season to some of their best players and they only finished 5 points behind us.

I'm sorry but over 2 years in, still no trophies and our football still doesn't look any better than when he joined. We just have better players. That's not good enough for me.
There has to be nuance. Too much of everything today is that its all bad. The football definitely has improved. There are miles more watchable then they were under Mou, LVG or Moyes.
You have to give him credit that he has improved the squad. But that shouldn't be enough for him to keep him a job. The only question that matters it that can he win a trophy. And the answer is 'NO'. So you look around to see if there's an elite manager who can

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Balls. They did nothing but sit back. How they werent a few goals down i do not know
Because we couldn't shit a barn door. As usual completely clueless when we have the ball.

Emery should have attacked us like Roma or Sociedad

criticalanalysis

I'm usually very calm about criticisms but Ole is just poor period. Him and Lindelof need to go.

2nd with no titles to show for, atrocious home record and only a few points ahead of Liverpool after their 'disaster' season, a Chelsea who changed managers half way through the season and the North London clubs continually being shite.

With the squad we have, this is not 'progress', this is embarassing and small time.

He's a 100 times more positive and 'progressive' or at least he tries to be than Mourinho/LVG but results wise, he's just as bad as them.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
90% of the goal we concede are a result of us needlessly losing the ball in midfield or set pieces to the far post.
Tonight we managed to combine both.
People will come here and talk about us needing new players and all that, completely ignoring the fact that we got tactically dominated by the team that's 7th in La Liga.
We have a DOF posing as a manager and that's the truth of it.
We won't achieve much with Ole in charge.

Neo_Mufc

Lack of consistency in this team that just keeps repeating. We pull out the odd performance when least expected but this is just groundhog day again.

Ole isn't the man to take us forward.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Ole is a really good coach but not elite. He's like Poch. He will get you to the CL but unlikely to win you a trophy.
Now should we replace him ? It depends on the options
I'm no Poch fan boy, but he's streets ahead of Ole. If Ole got the boot, no top clubs would be clamouring for his signature. Heck, would even mid-table Prem teams touch him? Nowhere near good enough I'm afraid.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Balls. They did nothing but sit back. How they werent a few goals down i do not know
Er... we had two (TWO!) shots on target in 120 minutes, one of which was a complete fluke as it fell to our unmarked centre-forward six yards from goal.

We created absolutely feck all and subsequently deserved feck all from the game.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He should be banned for being aa wum, attacking any poster who dares to criticize this manager.
We should be grateful for him, his sheep were all made evident in that thread. Then you know who you shouldnt take seriously as they'll follow the manager blindly.

Womp

idiot
There has to be nuance. Too much of everything today is that its all bad. The football definitely has improved. There are miles more watchable then they were under Mou, LVG or Moyes.
You have to give him credit that he has improved the squad. But that shouldn't be enough for him to keep him a job. The only question that matters it that can he win a trophy. And the answer is 'NO'. So you look around to see if there's an elite manager who can
He has improved the squad, but the job of a manager isn't to be a DOF. The squad has only really improved because of the signings, not cause of his coaching, I'd argue. Before Bruno, we weren't even in the top 4.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We’re not a unit. I like Ole, but he has built a midfield unit that does not make sense, on any level. There is no synergy, cohesion, no one touch play, no triangles. The anti-hipsters will of course come and mock us ‘pattern of play’ guys - but at this level it is far from good enough. Our midfield only knows what to do when it doesn’t have the ball. We cannot pass through a team.

GenericUtdfan

It's worrying. I wouldn't sack Ole just now, but let his contract run till the end of next season and if nothing's improved, recruit a better manager. I don't think he's up to it.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Losing on pens happens, no biggie for me. But they were so clearly playing for it, they had it all planned out, they practiced it all and Ole played into their hands I feel. During OT, we made zero effort to actually score and let them boss the game.

I understand the subs are not great, but we're not playing peak Barca here, just someone with fresh legs could have made a huge difference. On the other side, Emery influenced the game with his subs and tactical changes.

It's worrying, I'm not seeing an evaluation of Ole here. Let's hope he buckles down in the summer.

MetoTTT

It's 80% on him. Not a Ole out or in, I've always been just a doubter. No balls, no vision...never played like a team. Did better than LvG and Moyes. The worst thing even I don't think we could be a winning team with him again there're so much bigger problems in this club. It's depressing.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Ole has said it himself - he can't coach. And it really shows. The most predictable "big" team out there. Even I'd be comfortable defending against his "style" of football.
Getting second place buys him another season though, so we'll have to endure.

That game was begging for Amad or Mata or even VDB type players.

The way Villarreal smothered space, we needed high technique players who can work in small areas with fewer touches. It didn't take a Guardiola-tier manager to see that. It's genuinely worrying that Solskjaer didn't.

To make it even worse, one of the only 'early' (!) subs we made was taking off one of those players in Greenwood.

I'm still in disbelief that Rashford lasted 120 minutes. Then bringing Dan James on...jesus.

Last edited: