We are so fecked! (Knee-Jerk Overload)

LeftyBlaster

Then the Glazers will find that Ed will struggle to get the sponsors to bring the money in. Who wants to be associated with a busted flush. We have a lot of sponsors, but I have never heard of most of them. Courting foreign market is risky because as someone has mentioned those fans in some cases follow success and will jump ship.
This is what I don’t understand. They want to save pennies and they want to earn money. But they’re too fecking stupid to see that not running this football club like a football club hurts the earnings. If we don’t make the right decisions, which we haven’t post Fergie in most aspects of the club, we fail. Wtf?

StrettyEnder07

Seen a few saying that they don't think we have the funds to radically rebuild the squad, if that is the case, that is a huge worry if you look at the outlay over the past 3 windows:

No money spent January 2018, received funds for Memphis and Schneiderlin
40m net spend last summer
No money spent last January and recouped on Fellani

If in the next 4 weeks we have only bought James or even if we sell Lukaku and put that money back into the squad, that will still be a rough estimate of 50m quid net spend over 4 windows.

Never really thought about it to be honest but that is a massive red alert, 50m net spend over 4 windows, sick of death of United and by the sounds of it OT will continue to get worse atmosphere wise as although season tickets are being sold, a hell of a lot of hardcore fans are giving theirs up, which will be snapped up of course but it is becoming more and more of a tourist attraction/business than it is a football club.

Sir Matt and Jimmy Murphy will be turning in their graves seeing what this once great club is turning into, shambolic and heartbreaking.

Fosu-Mens

Seen a few saying that they don't think we have the funds to radically rebuild the squad, if that is the case, that is a huge worry if you look at the outlay over the past 3 windows:

No money spent January 2018, received funds for Memphis and Schneiderlin
40m net spend last summer
No money spent last January and recouped on Fellani

If in the next 4 weeks we have only bought James or even if we sell Lukaku and put that money back into the squad, that will still be a rough estimate of 50m quid net spend over 4 windows.

Never really thought about it to be honest but that is a massive red alert, 50m net spend over 4 windows, sick of death of United and by the sounds of it OT will continue to get worse atmosphere wise as although season tickets are being sold, a hell of a lot of hardcore fans are giving theirs up, which will be snapped up of course but it is becoming more and more of a tourist attraction/business than it is a football club.

Sir Matt and Jimmy Murphy will be turning in their graves seeing what this once great club is turning into, shambolic and heartbreaking.
IIRC someone stated some months ago that one of the reasons we seem to overpay for players is that we pay little up front and spread it out over a number of years. Most other big clubs pay most of the fee immediately, while we still owed Juventus money for Pogba last summer.

Moriarty

IIRC someone stated some months ago that one of the reasons we seem to overpay for players is that we pay little up front and spread it out over a number of years. Most other big clubs pay most of the fee immediately, while we still owed Juventus money for Pogba last summer.
Are we paying interest payments on the money owed?

StrettyEnder07

Yeah seen that mate, christ only knows how we structure it all, prob owe about 700m plus the debt against the club ha, always thought "ah nice budget of 200m this summer etc.", it is scary to think that if we have no money now, after 3 windows are spending hardly anything, rotten to the core mate.

Moriarty

Not directly, but a club would accept a hypothetical fee of £50m for player x if the fee was paid in full up front, they would likely demand more if the deal was structured to be paid over several years.
I see. So if we'd paid cash on the nail for Pogba, the fee wouldn't have been £89 million, or whatever it was, but something south of that?

lewwoo

It will be a day to celebrate when these parasites sell up. Lets just hope it is before they do irreparable damage.

Fosu-Mens

Yeah seen that mate, christ only knows how we structure it all, prob owe about 700m plus the debt against the club ha, always thought "ah nice budget of 200m this summer etc.", it is scary to think that if we have no money now, after 3 windows are spending hardly anything, rotten to the core mate.
Think Lentwood did a post on this last autumn, explaining if we had spent more last summer this would have limited the amount we had available this summer.

We do have the cashreserves to pay everything upfront, and £££ available to spend a serious sum this summer. The "sell before signing" rumour is just bullshit to appease the fans.

Krisbijoy

Not directly, but a club would accept a hypothetical fee of £50m for player x if the fee was paid in full up front, they would likely demand more if the deal was structured to be paid over several years.
But in the latter case, the fee would be based on a bunch of criteria though , and if we are smart about it , a good chunk of those will never be met (Like 5 mil for winning CL, 10 if Ballon d'or etc)

Fosu-Mens

I see. So if we'd paid cash on the nail for Pogba, the fee wouldn't have been £89 million, or whatever it was, but something south of that?
Most likely.

But in the latter case, the fee would be based on a bunch of criteria though , and if we are smart about it , a good chunk of those will never be met (Like 5 mil for winning CL, 10 if Ballon d'or etc)
This is not about bonuses, but guaranteed fees.

£60m structured over 3 years, compared to a lower fee immediately.

Red Devil's Advocate

Do you want us to go public with our interest or work effectively behind the scenes?
I think there is a lot of work happening in the background to get the players we want.

Man Utd is always going to be fleeced by the sellers because they know we desperately need new signing, so I believe we are working parallelly on multiple targets.

Al-T

We've signed James. Pogba, Lukaku and De Gea are likely off. Nowt else will Happen. On August 1,Ole will say that he's 'Happy with his squad but would hope to bring in maybe one more before the window shuts.

The squad, which he will describe as an exciting blend of youth and experience will be depleted further due to injuries to the usual suspects sustained during pre season. On August 7, we'll still be haggling with Palace over a fee for Obi Wan.

And it won't happen.

Seij

I think we'll end up getting just James and AWB this window while losing Lukaku for a chump change. Pogba and Raiola will try to engineer a move away but I don't think it'll happen this summer with neither Juve nor Real wanting to pay his transfer fee. OGS will come out saying how happy he is with his current group of players and how great of a captain Ashley Young is.

We'll beat some big name teams in meaningless preseason games and people will feel rave about how Sanchez finally looks good, Lingard/Mata are good enough as our RW options, and how McT is the future of our midfield. We'll crash and burn hard once the season starts and OGS will leave in a few months, either resigned (by December) or sacked (probably close to the end of the season because Ed will drag his feet). Some rumors about hiring a DOF will come out and a new manager will be hired.

Then the cycle will repeat. "We just got a new manager. We have to give him and the board time to build a new team". "Oh that player is a great servant and wouldn't hurt to keep around. Give him another contract". Great servant my ass. Give me a six figure weekly salary that no other team is even coming close to matching and I'll lick someone's boots every day.

This has to be the worst run elite club in Europe.

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I guess this isn't the thread to use, because the only people reading it have lost all hope. Then again, maybe this is the ideal place?

You lot make me laugh! Reinforcing one another's pitiful pessimism. There's a place for all on the net, and this is yours.

There is no hope! Boo-feckin-hoo!
We are done as club! Calm down sunshine.
We're not going to sign those players we were linked with! :lol:
We have a crap manager! YOU were part of the crowd begging for his appointment!
The Glazers, Woody, Young, Pogba! Get out! How comforting it is to find scapegoats. How easy. How convenient.

Life's sh!t enough than to make it even more unbearable with all this moaning.
Aaurgh! My club! My religion! All to dust!

How about you try to find a little optimism? I guarantee everything will change when you look at this mess from a different perspective. And only you can change your perspective. Stop reading how others moan. Over and over and over again. Just repeating the same nonsense. Again and again.
Fans. Bloody hell. :houllier:

Fluctuation0161

I guess this isn't the thread to use, because the only people reading it have lost all hope. Then again, maybe this is the ideal place?

You lot make me laugh! Reinforcing one another's pitiful pessimism. There's a place for all on the net, and this is yours.

The Glazers, Woody, Young, Pogba! Get out! How comforting it is to find scapegoats. How easy. How convenient.

How about you try to find a little optimism? I guarantee everything will change when you look at this mess from a different perspective. And only you can change your perspective. Stop reading how others moan. Over and over and over again. Just repeating the same nonsense. Again and again.
You keep drinking that kool-aid mate.

ForestRGoinUp

It’s not ruining anyone’s lives. We’re just giving opinions on where this thing is headed that we pay a lot of attention to. It’s only dressed as negativity by those who see it differently.

And I can tell you not everyone here was backing his appointment. That crowd can be found in the optimistic threads if there are any.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
You keep drinking that kool-aid mate.
I prefer to focus on the good things at our club. Can you remember the good things?

It’s not ruining anyone’s lives. We’re just giving opinions on where this thing is headed that we pay a lot of attention to. It’s only dressed as negativity by those who see it differently.

And I can tell you not everyone here was backing his appointment. That crowd can be found in the optimistic threads if there are any.
Optimistic threads :lol:

As for not backing his appointment - fair play. Obviously not everyone in the thread was against it though.

The problem I have with threads like this is the vicious cycle of affirmation. We're doomed! I don't think it is healthy and will lead to fans being against our team from the beginning of the season.

BringKlebersonBack

1. Ceteris Paribus (either way) chances are (stats) he won't.

2. You do? Ok. I have never said that.

3. It doesn't. See point 1.

NB. You could write 100 sentences between points 2 and 3 but unless you specifically address what makes Ole such a good choice it actually makes no difference to the logical result. Specifically what makes him the ideal candidate? What (as you put it, although I couldn't care less) "makes him a better candidate than Mou"? What specifically makes him a better candidate than all the other ex-man Utd players who have moved into management?
You seem to have inferred meaning in my words that simply doesn’t exist. At no point did I imply that Solskjaer is a “good” choice, nor that he is a “better candidate than Mou.”’ I’m not even sure where you got that quote from, since it’s certainly not in my post.

My argument is straightforward. There is little evidence that supports the contention that a “proven manager” lessens the risk - there is some evidence that the choice of manager, based on his experience, is actually irrelevant to the long-term performance of a squad. In general, it can be stated that the higher your wage bill, the higher you finish over a number of seasons. In that, as I said, *limited sense*, appointing Solskjaer makes as much sense as appointing Mourinho. In fact, appointing any of the “former United players” may well have made as much sense. There is nothing that actually qualifies or disqualifies Solskjaer. It is far more important that a good team is assembled around him - the choice of manager is much more a public relations choice.

I suspect you know this. I actually don’t care who the manager is. I think Solskjaer was a mistake, but not for the obvious reasons that some do.

I care far more about the functions of Director of Football, Head of Performance Analysis and Data, and Head of Recruitment, as well as the correct backroom coaching team, than who the titular leader is. If the club simply buys good players, and produces good Academy graduates, we will consistently win far more matches than we lose.

soaphroniscuss

You seem to have inferred meaning in my words that simply doesn’t exist. At no point did I imply that Solskjaer is a “good” choice, nor that he is a “better candidate than Mou.”’ I’m not even sure where you got that quote from, since it’s certainly not in my post.

My argument is straightforward. There is little evidence that supports the contention that a “proven manager” lessens the risk - there is some evidence that the choice of manager, based on his experience, is actually irrelevant to the long-term performance of a squad. In general, it can be stated that the higher your wage bill, the higher you finish over a number of seasons. In that, as I said, *limited sense*, appointing Solskjaer makes as much sense as appointing Mourinho. In fact, appointing any of the “former United players” may well have made as much sense. There is nothing that actually qualifies or disqualifies Solskjaer. It is far more important that a good team is assembled around him - the choice of manager is much more a public relations choice.

I suspect you know this. I actually don’t care who the manager is. I think Solskjaer was a mistake, but not for the obvious reasons that some do.

I care far more about the functions of Director of Football, Head of Performance Analysis and Data, and Head of Recruitment, as well as the correct backroom coaching team, than who the titular leader is. If the club simply buys good players, and produces good Academy graduates, we will consistently win far more matches than we lose.
Not sure why you are basing it on his "experience". Anyway please list the evidence that the manager is irrelevant.

Your entire argument relies on this assumption so I will discount the rest of what you said, until you supply evidence to this effect and/or a comprehensive argument as to why this should be so. If the manager is not "irrelevant" then you have no case. And of course I am referring to the broad statistical argument. "Ceteris Paribus" of course applies.

I think people on here are not familiar with formal logic. Basic argumentum ad absurdum (e.g. making me the manager, for example), would demonstrate that this cannot be the case but hey, I await your evidence.

Skills

Snitch
Christmas? I think he will be gone by October.

I love the man for everything he's achieved at this club, but he's not a great coach.
No change he goes unless he relegates us this season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No change he goes unless he relegates us this season.
He might be on a hiding to nothing, because unless we actually make progress, playing wise and position wise, if he thinks signing players this summer is hard it will get even worse.

Foxbatt

I do not think we will buy anyone of any calibre and it would be just the same as last year. If I was Ole to heck with the compensation and open up how usless Woodward is and walkaway from the club.

Keefy18

So you haven’t seen him play yet you form an opinion that he’s a good player, whilst telling others that have seen him their opinion is wrong? That literally makes no sense.

I have nothing against buying potential but that isn’t what we need right now, especially a LW, we don’t need another LW. And i didn’t hear James ever being touted as the next best thing all season. He was going to sign for Leeds in January for feck sake.
I didn't infer anything, I simply said I am of the opinion we should wait and see before writing him off. Instead we've an army of caftards choosing to opt for immediate write off.

Most definitely, Sterling is 4 years younger and already similar returns to Hazard. If he's as productive as him 4 years his junior I reckon by Hazards age of 27 / 28 he'll be a far superior player.

Like I said, he has far great up side than Hazard who has hit his peak already.

I have seen a bunch of these type of statements on here recently. Do people think we should stop trying to sign top players?

So we should stop buying elite players? Because buying mediocre players is road to success?
And lets break that galactico myth. We bought only 4 elite players in last 5 years:
Zlatan-hit
Pogba- hit( despite everything he is our main player)
Alexis- miss
Di Maria- miss
For the both of you, I haven't said that at all. But the funny thing is when we do sign a top names, folks just run with the narrative its all Ed Woodward trying to sign Galacticos for merchandise purposes :rolleyes:

Just because he is from a lower league doesn't mean he is mediocre FFS! He's had a standout debut season for Swansea and a club legend like Giggs rates him highly and so do Ole and Mike obviously so why not be patient and see how he does before being cnuts and writing a young kid off immediately?

I'm very much a fence sitter, patient and not of the opinion to be making definitive decisions on players prior to them even kicking a fecking ball in our club crest! We've a bunch of mystic macks it seems and the verdict is immediately damning that he's a waste which is sad, pathetic but completely the norm now of our supporter base.

He could flop or he could be spectacular in the years ahead....no one knows unless the happen to be in possession of a delorean! :P

Dele Alli - Was young player of the year at age 18. Was bought as a teenager.

Verratti - bought at age 19 and was Serie B footballer of the year

Vardy - When he made the transition to the PL, he was already part of Leicester's side for 2 years. It's not like they bought a Championship player as a PL side.

Kante - Played Ligue 1 before he went to Leicester

I know some of you guys want to give the guy a chance, but stop with the bad comparisons. James is a punt. Kid is 21 years old, wasn't in team of the season, and isn't our own. He was bought. And that's fine. He could turn out one of our best buys. Those who are negative are only saying that the chances of him doing that is much smaller than that of a more talented player.
Your agreeing with my point. James has had a singular season and picked up their best newcomer award.

Alli had a whopping 39 games more played in a league lower than James, is that so much of a fecking difference to attempt to paint it as apples and oranges?

Verrati likewise played an extra 31 more games than James before making his big move up to PSG. Similar again it's really not all that different.

Vardy was a seasoned Sunday league / semi pro sort for a few years alright but the point remains that talent can be found in lower leagues.

Kante - Did play in Ligue 1 alright but the point remains he earned his stripes playing in a lower league and proving his worth.

The over riding point is that talent can indeed be found in lower leagues and its something United have done often over the years. Irwin arguably our greatest FB to many played with Oldham in Div 2. Pallister a club legend played in Div 3 for god sake and helped win promotion twice for them and also played for Darlington! I could go on, there are countless examples and many top clubs still invest in lower league players.

Kag

I don’t subscribe to the persistent negative attention-seeking we see all too often on here, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t getting a little concerned.

Pre season starts in just over a week and we’ve signed a winger from the Championship and (seemingly) a right back. Our best player has as good as said he wants to leave, too.

If we half arse this summer then next season could get ugly.

Keefy18

I don’t subscribe to the persistent negative attention-seeking we see all too often on here, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t getting a little concerned.

Pre season starts in just over a week and we’ve signed a winger from the Championship and (seemingly) a right back. Our best player has as good as said he wants to leave, too.

Mad to think but that's still double what Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and City have managed...combined.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Agree totally, but things can change quickly in football.

"if" we sign a cracking centre back/centre mid, and Pogba and De Gea end up staying, AND don't sulk, plus we start the season well - it can all look very differently very quickly.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mad to think but that's still double what Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and City have managed...combined.
That is true, but three of those teams have a lot, lot less to fix than us.
Arsenal are there for the taking this year - they have all our problems and more.

DomesticTadpole

Don't think Liverpool and City have the same needs as us. I hope they don't sign anybody, but they will. They will be well out of reach.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
And they're still comfortably better than us (Apart from Arsenal, but they're no benchmark and just as poorly run) :lol:

Honestly, pull your head out of Woodward arse because your constant attempts to put a positive spin on things are naive as feck.

DomesticTadpole

They don't but I expect Guardiola and Klopp will bring in a player or two. They'll build from a position of strength.
Well we know for sure that City want Rodri and a RB. That is how you keep strong. The slightest weak link you have strengthen it. We actually stopped doing that. United used to operate like that, keep your team on it toes and make sure no player got complacent as there was another ready to step into your place.

buckooo1978

the truth is the window opens on July 1st

no one has much of a clue about our business and sources on Twitter are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike

The James and AWB have become public, leaked most likely by Swans and Palace trying to drum up some competition

wait until the 1st and we might get a pleasant surprise or two

Keefy18

That is true, but three of those teams have a lot, lot less to fix than us.
Arsenal are there for the taking this year - they have all our problems and more.
Don't think Liverpool and City have the same needs as us. I hope they don't sign anybody, but they will. They will be well out of reach.
And they're still comfortably better than us (Apart from Arsenal, but they're no benchmark and just as poorly run) :lol:

Honestly, pull your head out of Woodward arse because your constant attempts to put a positive spin on things are naive as feck.
They don't but I expect Guardiola and Klopp will bring in a player or two. They'll build from a position of strength.
If that was a serious point your trying to make then.....my god.
Standard negative reply from our bunch, we've always got to be the worst off these days...woe is me!

Seriously get a fecking grip folks!

• Arsenal are flaky as feck still and they lost their best midfielder in Ramsey and not replaced yet.
  • Chelsea, likewise have lost their best player in Hazard and thanks to a transfer ban have no chance of replacing him. Oh and they lost their manager due to player power it seems and are following us in hiring a former club legend to manager them, I'd argue they are every bit as bad or worse as us.
  • Spurs, still no investments and they are on the cusp of losing Toby and Eriksen as neither have signed new deals.

Reality is only Liverpool and City have stolen a march on the rest of the pack. The first 3 clubs listed and ourselves are all in or around the same standard and all have glaring issues at the club to address!

It genuinely has gotten to a point where if you dare express anything close to a positive opinion in regards to the club these days your attacked for it.

DomesticTadpole

the truth is the window opens on July 1st

no one has much of a clue about our business and sources on Twitter are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike

The James and AWB have become public, leaked most likely by Swans and Palace trying to drum up some competition

wait until the 1st and we might get a pleasant surprise or two
As Ole wanted his signing ready for pre-season training I hope they have a lot of good news for him on the 1st.