We must buy the next Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick2004

Well that is not taking into account the loss of CL football, that is from the previous years revenue. If United dont get Cl football this season they will fall even further behind.

Also did u not hear what i said about the loan the Glazers took out? Dont u think if United were in Madrid's position they would be doing it as well?
I know about the loans and the Glaziers.

Do you know about the loans Real Madrid has?

Do you know that when the Glazers bought United our valuation was around 700 million and now it is over 2 billion? That is, they have already made over a billion! We do not have a money problem.

nick2004

1. Real Madrid - £459.5m

2. Manchester United - £433.2m

3. Bayern Munich - £407.7m

4. Barcelona - £405.2m

5. Paris Saint-Germain - £396.5m

6. Manchester City - £346.5m

7. Chelsea - £324.4m

8. Arsenal - £300.5m

9. Liverpool - £255.8m

10. Juventus - £233.6m
I don't know how many of you realize that according to the above table we can spend almost 200 million more that whatever Liverpool spends!!!

EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!

What we have been spending so far is peanuts. Of course, someone is happy with the profits.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Real Madrid is a fan-owned club. They vote for whoever represents their interests.

Manchester United is a millionaire's asset. Call him.

Oneunited26

We don't need to buy the next messi, we just need a team that can compete with the best, and currently we are possibly 3 to 4 years from even getting to that level, the way things are going

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I don't know how many of you realize that according to the above table we can spend almost 200 million more that whatever Liverpool spends!!!

EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!

What we have been spending so far is peanuts. Of course, someone is happy with the profits.
I suggest you read a bit about these owners of ours. If your point of this thread is to say "We've underspent for years and are now paying the price" you're a bit late to the party.

Carry on posting though, it's a funny read. Each post somehow make you seem even more clueless about practically everything.

nick2004

We don't need to buy the next messi, we just need a team that can compete with the best, and currently we are possibly 3 to 4 years from even getting to that level, that way things are going
That's the fantasy I am talking about!

And there are a lot of fans who hold this fantasy!

They think that in the "next x years" we will become so much better. How are we going to become "at that level"? By magic?

Is it ever possible for a team valued 100 million to be better than a team valued 400 million? Yes, perhaps once in a while, but not consistently.

nick2004

I suggest you read a bit about these owners of ours. If your point of this thread is to say "We've underspent for years and are now paying the price" you're a bit late to the party.

Carry on posting though, it's a funny read. Each post somehow make you seem even more clueless about practically everything.
I know more than you think. But things are different today that what they were 5 years ago. Now our valuation is over 2 billion and our debt is nothing. And our owners are not stupid, they know they have to spend. A player who costs 20 million cannot be as good as a player who costs 80 million. Ever.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I know more than you think. But things are different today that what they were 5 years ago. Now our valuation is over 2 billion and our debt is nothing. And our owners are not stupid, they know they have to spend. A player who costs 20 million cannot be as good as a player who costs 80 million. Ever.
Given that I currently think that you know absolute feck all, that's hardly something to be proud about.

nick2004

Anyway, the point is that this summer we have to buy two players better than Di Maria. That is, spend at least another 160+ million for two top players.

That's what Barca and Real have been doing. And there is no other way. This is not the 1980s. Money talks.

If we ever want to win another championship, we have to buy it!

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
If you have to say something about the topic, please do.

If not, please go waste your incredible intelligence on some other thread.
I don't really, I'm just here for the laughs.

You seem insistent that you've somehow come up with the magic formula to solve all the problems, but you seem completely ignorant to a few facts. Such as, we have now (finally) started spending money (see our spending in the market last few seasons compared to other clubs) and you don't just find the "next Messi" or whatever. You try to make it seem like what you're suggesting is the simplest thing in the world and you look like a lunatic because of it. There's probably some good points hidden in some of your posts, but they're getting ruined by the way you're presenting them. Also, you seem to have the idea that much of what you're saying is some revolutionary stuff, but it's really just what's already been discussed countless of times in other threads.

nick2004

A few more details:

1. No top international player would play for Moyes.

2. SAF was not really keen on buying top international players. Especially after Veron.

3. Five years back our debt was a concern. Not any more.

So, it is actually the first time we can really go for top international talent, spending top money. We should do what Real Madrid have been doing. I hope Di Maria was the first of many.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That is true but, that is not what Nick which is what I was referring to.
Yeah I know.

People are definitely getting out of hand with our transfer signing expectations and want us to be like Madrid and just get a shiny new toy for the sake of it even if it's counter-productive to what we actually need. I just wanted to stress that I wouldn't mind it if we were to actually spend once more, but this time on key areas we need. As our manager has been with us for a season and surely this time is in a calculated position to decide what we actually need rather than committing to blind signings (no pun intended) without knowing the squad.

Last edited:

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
I haven't posted in a while but this has bought me out of hibernation.

This is amazing.

ghagua

You can buy all the talent in the world, but if the manager/coach has no idea how to get the best out of them, then you are spending just for the sake of spending.

NoPace

I clicked on this assuming it was going to be an emotional plea for us to sign a ton of top 13 year old stars with health issues their clubs can't afford.

Jokes aside, Atletico Madrid bought the top young Argentine prospect (Correa) for 7.5 mil last year. Have to think we should have doubled that. Worth the risk and can always be sold off Chelsea-style after some loan seasons if he isn't good enough in the end.

nick2004

You can buy all the talent in the world, but if the manager/coach has no idea how to get the best out of them, then you are spending just for the sake of spending.
Stingy spending was the reason we got the useless Moyes instead of the master Mourinho.

We now have one of the best managers in the world. Van Gaal has the experience and the pedigree.

We should also aim to have the best players in the world. At least some of them. That's what the title's "new Messi" refers to.

And we have to buy them. If we wait till our youth system produces a star player, we may have to wait for a long time.

Devil may care

A sound strategy for sure or we should have gotten Angel Correa. not sure which answer to go with here.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Stingy spending was the reason we got the useless Moyes instead of the master Mourinho.

We now have one of the best managers in the world. Van Gaal has the experience and the pedigree.

We should also aim to have the best players in the world. At least some of them. That's what the title's "new Messi" refers to.

And we have to buy them. If we wait till our youth system produces a star player, we may have to wait for a long time.
And you think Moyes was paid with peanuts and butter jelly?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Why just the next Messi?

Get Fifa 15 or the latest CM and buy the real one!

Gannicus

I'm struggling to see what the amazing new insight is with the OP.

We've spent huge before. Sometimes it pays off (Rooney, Rio) and sometimes it doesn't (Veron, Berbatov). The jury is out on others (Mata, Di Maria). Sometimes we find the gem at a modest price (Vidic, Evra, Carrick). Sometimes we buy a brilliant young player (Ronaldo, De Gea).

There's no perfect answer. Yes, buying the greatest footballer in the world or the next greatest footballer seems like a great idea, but it's never that simple. For every Ronaldo there are probably dozens of near-Ronaldos who never panned out.

But if the point is that United's balance sheet is strong and we must invest in top players, I think we can all agree on that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Great thread. It even had that moment, where it seemed to plunge down to the mundane (see post #81), but then it damn well soared again.

Only thing lacking is a kick-ass diagram of some sort:

Mali_Zeus

Scouts should go out and find that new Messi!

Jokes aside we dont need to buy top players just for the sake of it or cause Madrid does it. Splashing 160 m on top 2 players would be madness, we need to buy 3 or 4 players for a good price and in the areas where we need them.

Revan

Assumptionman
This thread is amazing.

I love the OP, he has came with some revolutionary stuff. Mods, is there any way to put this thread on general because I am afraid that the other clubs will steal the idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.