We Need To Talk About Mane

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think Mane is a very good player who probably benefits from the system he plays in, which is not an insult at all.

I'd rather have Martial in my squad though. I think his ceiling is incredibly high. Whether he reaches it is another matter but he has so much potential imo.

Last edited:

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
I think Sane is a very good player who probably benefits from the system he plays in, which is not an insult at all.

I'd rather have Martial in my squad though. I think his ceiling is incredibly high. Whether he reaches it is another matter but he has so much potential imo.
That's all well and good pal, but what do you think about Mane?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That's all well and good pal, but what do you think about Mane?
Haha, shows what happens when you post while doing 2 other things at the same time. I'll go back and change it.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I think Mane is a very good player who probably benefits from the system he plays in, which is not an insult at all.

Mane has been a very good player for us who has had periods of great form &, more recently, a period of average form. He definitely benefits from playing under Klopp in ways that perhaps Martial doesn't under Jose, but like you say, that's not the fault of either player.

On current form, Martial is the better player. I also think his ceiling his higher. If you were to take the last few years of Mane or the last few years of Martial, you'd almost definitely pick the former, but there's what, a 5-year age gap on-top of the stylistic differences? It's a pretty daft comparison, really.

If offered the swap, I wouldn't take it. Overall, Mane has been very good for us, and while Martial can potentially be better, and is playing better currently, I'm definitely more than happy to see Mane get an extension.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
I think hes in better form. And creates slightly more for teammates.

But about the same.

And yes I'd imagine most of the others will tell you Martial is better.
Whilst most of their attributes are close I think which might be a point in Martial's favour as he's younger, my biggest problem with him is off the ball. I'm not just talking workrate where Mane eclipses him as he's a cyborg, I mean their off the ball movement. Martial is pretty mediocre in this department and can be static and want ball to feet most of the time whereas Mane will make dangerous runs throughout a match. Another attribute which I dont think can be taught is the mental aspect. To put it bluntly I think Martial is a fairweather player whereas Mane is simply unrelenting and will run at you all day.

Ekeke

Whilst most of their attributes are close I think which might be a point in Martial's favour as he's younger, my biggest problem with him is off the ball. I'm not just talking workrate where Mane eclipses him as he's a cyborg, I mean their off the ball movement. Martial is pretty mediocre in this department and can be static and want ball to feet most of the time whereas Mane will make dangerous runs throughout a match. Another attribute which I dont think can be taught is the mental aspect. To put it bluntly I think Martial is a fairweather player whereas Mane is simply unrelenting and will run at you all day.
I agree and in terms of all round game, he can also improve a lot on his passing and chance creation for others. Compared to a lot of wingers he doesnt play teammates in a lot and he can lose the ball with his passing. But Mane is another player who is more of a goalscorer than chance creator for the team and is an even more extreme of what I'm talking about. Martial still creates slightly more and is slightly more accurate with his passing than Mane, even though its something Martial himself can improve a great deal on. Afterall when he first arrived here he was one of our main chance creators for others. Now he's almost exclusively a goal scorer, like Mane.

Off the ball of course Mane is far better and yes work rate too and winning the ball back.

Keep in mind that if Martial scores in the next match he'll be the first United player since Ronaldo to score in 6 games in a row, with only Ruud, Ronaldo and Cantona on that list. So thats where form comes into it, right now he's in very hot goalscoring form - but that doesnt mean that he's the best winger around, or even in the league, or that he doesn't have areas where he's still far behind some other players.

All in all I'd say they're on a similar level, but Mane is more of a team player while Martial is a better individual player in terms of making something for himself.

Sauldogba

Like others have said Mane does strike me as a system player and whilst i feel Martial has a higher ceiling its unfair to say Martial is in better form.
I mean what are we basing this on five games?

meninred

Mane is a better player than Martial in many aspects in my view.but that doesnot mean he is far behind.

Rossa

Technique: Martial
Close control: Martial
Dribbling: Martial
Running with the ball: Martial
Off the ball movement: Mane
Defensive work: Mane
Work rate: Mane
Speed: about even - Martial has better acceleration with the ball
Strength: Martial
Heading: Martial?
Consistency: Mane

So, Martial? When he's up for it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Mane is a superb winger. Would love having a player like him at United.

Regarding Martial, he has much more natural talent and will reach a greater level than Mane IMO.

laughtersassassin

Or an alternative view. Martial if he was in a team that attacked week in week out.

Rossa

I think Mane is a superb winger. Would love having a player like him at United.

Regarding Martial, he has much more natural talent and will reach a greater level than Mane IMO.
I agreee, but I think natural talent is very hard to judge. Ultimately, it is what you show consistently on the pitch that matters. Aaron Lennon's ceiling was amazing when he broke through, and on his day he was unplayable, but inconsistency held him back from reaching that top tier.

I would say Mane is far stronger and quicker than Martial, I don't think either have ever headed the ball. Mane has a far better shot from distance as well.

Mane would be a revelation on our right hand side.

amolbhatia50k

I agreee, but I think natural talent is very hard to judge. Ultimately, it is what you show consistently on the pitch that matters. Aaron Lennon's ceiling was amazing when he broke through, and on his day he was unplayable, but inconsistency held him back from reaching that top tier.
I think you can judge it. Lennon was only unplayable due to his pace. Martial is clearly an exceptionally gifted footballer.

Even on actual peformances, I do think Martial was a very good footballer even at the age of 19 at United. I don think Mane was as good at him at the same age. On the other hand, being managed by the most gung ho manager around helps him as well. I expect Martial to eclipse Mane over time but he does need to play in a more fluid football side.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Martial under an attack-oriented coach would be a better play than Mane IMO. Just that little bit more game intelligence with better functional technique than Mane who can be quite inconsistent in that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Martial could be better than Mane in all those things and still be a lesser player.
I'd put both of them at around the same level but they are very different imo.

Bola

I'd be interested in the fans view of what Mane's best position is and whether he is currently being played out of position?

Rossa

I would say Mane is far stronger and quicker than Martial, I don't think either have ever headed the ball. Mane has a far better shot from distance as well.

Mane would be a revelation on our right hand side.
I love it when people go "FAR" stronger and faster. I would say they are about even; Mane probably edges it for top speed, but Martial is quicker off the mark with the ball at his feet, and I really doubt Mane is far stronger. Martial has a bigger frame and is quite compact. Martial has scored a couple of goals with his head, but not exactly a great header of the ball. I agree that Mane would be great on our right side.

Rossa

Martial could be better than Mane in all those things and still be a lesser player.
I'd put both of them at around the same level but they are very different imo.
Agree with that - key word is consistency, and there Mane is currently better. Anderson would tick most boxes ahead of Fletcher, but again, consistency.

Rossa

I think you can judge it. Lennon was only unplayable due to his pace. Martial is clearly an exceptionally gifted footballer.

Even on actual peformances, I do think Martial was a very good footballer even at the age of 19 at United. I don think Mane was as good at him at the same age. On the other hand, being managed by the most gung ho manager around helps him as well. I expect Martial to eclipse Mane over time but he does need to play in a more fluid football side.
Lennon also had an amazing close control and agility whilst running at speed. His twisting and turning with the ball was almost Messi-esque, and his acceleration was better than anyone I've seen. Ultimately, his end product and consistency just let him down.

I agree that Martial is the bigger talent, but talent is just half the job. He needs to find consistency and realize his most efficient way of playing football. Nani was at his best at United when he stopped with all the dribbles and fancy moves and just ran past people instead - he became much more direct and profited from it. Mane is also very direct. I'm not quite sure that Martial has figured his style yet. Is he more of a Hazard type?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Inconsistent decision making, but he's a great player. Best player on the pitch in a CL final by a mile(aside from Bale and Karius), says a lot

deafepl

Lennon also had an amazing close control and agility whilst running at speed. His twisting and turning with the ball was almost Messi-esque, and his acceleration was better than anyone I've seen. Ultimately, his end product and consistency just let him down.

I agree that Martial is the bigger talent, but talent is just half the job. He needs to find consistency and realize his most efficient way of playing football. Nani was at his best at United when he stopped with all the dribbles and fancy moves and just ran past people instead - he became much more direct and profited from it. Mane is also very direct. I'm not quite sure that Martial has figured his style yet. Is he more of a Hazard type?
Not Hazard type as he didn't demand balls much as Hazard and be the main force of the team, he is just Martial that has the ability to dribble past players with great ball retention like Messi and Hazard and could create chances for a teammate as well as a great finisher.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Martial is a more talented player, but I'd take Mane over him currently.

Galaad Joachim

IMO those bolded points are mental attributs, they are some of the most important aspect of a footballer, not to be underestimated. I'm not saying that Martial couldn't be better than Mane in those areas in a near future but atm Mane is a superior player.

Also reducing "Defensive Work" in one "stat" isn't fair to the game. Nowadays defense and transition are bread and butter for Wingers/ Full-Backs and is nearly as important as the offense phases for their play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool

Another important attribute which has been ommitted is Mane's adaptability. Last season he got about 20 goals whilst playing LW when he had been predominantly a RW. He has also played behind the striker and looked very dangerous. He fits n seamlessly in any position in the front third whereas if you put Martial on the right sde he looks a shadow of the player from the left.

amolbhatia50k

Come on, mate. Did we watch the same Aaron Lennon? He had a low centre of gravity and better dribbling quality than someone like Ashely Young, or other one note wingers but he was largely about express pace. His actual ability with the ball just wasn't that great and there's only so far rapid pace and wingplay gets you.

I do agree that peformance are eventually what matter but I do think natural talent can be acertained (not quantified). And Martial is special in this regard.

Ekeke

Another important attribute which has been ommitted is Mane's adaptability. Last season he got about 20 goals whilst playing LW when he had been predominantly a RW. He has also played behind the striker and looked very dangerous. He fits n seamlessly in any position in the front third whereas if you put Martial on the right sde he looks a shadow of the player from the left.
He also played behind the striker in his final season at Southampton.

Negan

People on here laughed at me when I pitched Mane and Van Dijk to get signed back in 2014/2015.

They should both be at United but instead we have Jesse Lingard and Chris Smalling. Great.

Ekeke

People on here laughed at me when I pitched Mane and Van Dijk to get signed back in 2014/2015.

They should both be at United but instead we have Jesse Lingard and Chris Smalling. Great.
Dont worry, people havent stopped laughing at you

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Fine work when you joined in 2018. No one knows who you are.