We will never win the league with Bruno Fernandes in the team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctrials23

The biggest issue with Fernandes is that he gives the ball away too often. Part of that is chance creation but part of that is being wasteful. I don't know if he can fix that or improve it or thats the price for the chances he does create. As with all players like him in a team, they have a large impact on those around them and the team. We don't tend to have much control against teams at times because we give the ball away a bit too much.

Watching Arsenal last night you can see how much more fluid they are all over the pitch because they are building throughout the team. We are a little too Bruno focussed at time.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
They’ve been largely average lately; despite a much softer run & less injuries/suspensions

how did last night go?
Are you being sarky? Arsenal FC were very flat, and though they dominated in patches, maybe for 20 minutes or so, and had chances, the Sporting keeper had a astonishing game, making at least three world class saves in regulation time. Overall the Portoguese played a great game of choking the Arsenal supply lines, winning back the ball and keeping it with some smart fluid stuff that made the whole experience more and more nervy. The atmosphere was great, even at the end the Arsenal fans sang and cheered, to be fair. The goal from which Sporting equalized was something from a dream, the guy barely looked up, and sent a looping drive almost fifty yards with the Arsenal keeper scampering back from a very advanced position. So perfectly judged was the drive that it just dipped under the crossbar with inches to spare. The keeper hilariously came crashing like a parachutist in the net after the ball. Sporting Lisbon contained Arsenal fairly well in extra time, and both teams brought on a lot of subs. I had a sense that a penalty shoot-out would doom Arsenal in front of their own fans, and so it turned out. Great to be rid of them in this competition, gives us a chance of more silverware.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Are you being sarky? Arsenal FC were very flat, and though they dominated in patches, maybe for 20 minutes or so, and had chances, the Sporting keeper had a astonishing game, making at least three world class saves in regulation time. Overall the Portoguese played a great game of choking the Arsenal supply lines, winning back the ball and keeping it with some smart fluid stuff that made the whole experience more and more nervy. The atmosphere was great, even at the end the Arsenal fans sang and cheered, to be fair. The goal from which Sporting equalized was something from a dream, the guy barely looked up, and sent a looping drive almost fifty yards with the Arsenal keeper scampering back from a very advanced position. So perfectly judged was the drive that it just dipped under the crossbar with inches to spare. The keeper hilariously came crashing like a parachutist in the net after the ball. Sporting Lisbon contained Arsenal fairly well in extra time, and both teams brought on a lot of subs. I had a sense that a penalty shoot-out would doom Arsenal in front of their own fans, and so it turned out. Great to be rid of them in this competition, gives us a chance of more silverware.
thought Arsenal were pretty average against a far inferior opposition (who did great as u said)
And as I said last week
They were extremely lucky to have had fouls for their two goals ignored in the away tie

them not managing the two legs might be a sign that it won’t be that easy to see out the league; despite being potentially well clear before break

I still think city will drop a good few more points though

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I never ignore threads (though I have a lot of posters on ignore. I even un-ignored a few lately). Good to see the range of views in the Caf, I feel, however supercharged daft they are.

I have changed my mind about this thread, for example. I appreciate it now as an excellent place to corral and vent for Football Manager type fans. I understand that there is a journey in knowing/understanding any team game, because I had my own journey, which I am still on. I am a typical enough football fan. I mean any time I am at a match or in the pub watching on TV I am pretty unexceptional in most respects. I started off as a kid not knowing about offside, etc. In primary school, for example, we played a frantic game resembling chase-the-chicken along a concrete pavement, everyone 'attracted' to the ball in a mad crowd, repeatedly breaking the school window with a heavy plastic ball that hurt badly to head and even to kick.

No offside there, but lots of horrible knee scars. In later life I played a bit in school, usually defensive midfield. I was a fairly committed tackler. I learned about formations, about keeping shape, about how the game gets compressed. About why its sometimes good to play one-touch, sometimes good to make breaks, sometimes good to slow it down. Theres a thing about keeping the opponent in the corner of your eye, ready to move when the defender is balanced wrong, going to their right, over the extended left leg (the stock dribble for a right footer attempted to beat the defender on their right, tempting a tackle and dodging). My shin bones are all lumpy from kicks, the painful way of learning how to protect yourself from injury. When two players kick a loose ball at once, for example, getting your studs embedded in the ground, blocking, probably meant you came out best.

I liked other sports, too, including Gaelic football. In later life I learned enough basics of the rules and team positions of rugby (union, and even a bit of rugby league on TV) to appreciate and enjoy the game. Before that, I found it hard to see the point of rugby, just as today the point in horse racing and American football completely eludes me.

Anyone who doesn't get why Bruno is a lynchpin of the current set up and so valued by the manager must be at a level of knowledge that makes 'soccer' rather unenjoyable. Maybe they spend their days in a variety of forums, spouting equally uninformed opinions on everything from nuclear fusion to foot-binding in Medieval China.

Fair play to the football people willing to venture in here to take on the elephant-sized task of explaining to this cohort why Bruno is an ideas man; why he's the answer to massed defences; why he takes chances because that's his job, etc. Etc. Etc. ETH. And so on, forever and ever and ever.
Firstly, this is a Bruno Fernandes thread, not 'this is my autobiography' thread.

Secondly, you could write a lot less and still say the same i.e. 'I think I know best and those that disagree with me are plebs'.

Finally and most hilariously, I love how some on here come and try to talk about Fernandes's importance to this current team but also go on to state that we might not win the league with him. Well, surprise, surprise this is the point of the thread. Not whether you rate him or not as a good player but whether a team like us can win the league with someone like him playing the crucial playmaker position.

But by all means, write another essay praising 'the football people' coming in here to explain why you are right.

What a bunch of arrogant guff.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I never ignore threads (though I have a lot of posters on ignore. I even un-ignored a few lately). Good to see the range of views in the Caf, I feel, however supercharged daft they are.

I have changed my mind about this thread, for example. I appreciate it now as an excellent place to corral and vent for Football Manager type fans. I understand that there is a journey in knowing/understanding any team game, because I had my own journey, which I am still on. I am a typical enough football fan. I mean any time I am at a match or in the pub watching on TV I am pretty unexceptional in most respects. I started off as a kid not knowing about offside, etc. In primary school, for example, we played a frantic game resembling chase-the-chicken along a concrete pavement, everyone 'attracted' to the ball in a mad crowd, repeatedly breaking the school window with a heavy plastic ball that hurt badly to head and even to kick.

No offside there, but lots of horrible knee scars. In later life I played a bit in school, usually defensive midfield. I was a fairly committed tackler. I learned about formations, about keeping shape, about how the game gets compressed. About why its sometimes good to play one-touch, sometimes good to make breaks, sometimes good to slow it down. Theres a thing about keeping the opponent in the corner of your eye, ready to move when the defender is balanced wrong, going to their right, over the extended left leg (the stock dribble for a right footer attempted to beat the defender on their right, tempting a tackle and dodging). My shin bones are all lumpy from kicks, the painful way of learning how to protect yourself from injury. When two players kick a loose ball at once, for example, getting your studs embedded in the ground, blocking, probably meant you came out best.

I liked other sports, too, including Gaelic football. In later life I learned enough basics of the rules and team positions of rugby (union, and even a bit of rugby league on TV) to appreciate and enjoy the game. Before that, I found it hard to see the point of rugby, just as today the point in horse racing and American football completely eludes me.

Anyone who doesn't get why Bruno is a lynchpin of the current set up and so valued by the manager must be at a level of knowledge that makes 'soccer' rather unenjoyable. Maybe they spend their days in a variety of forums, spouting equally uninformed opinions on everything from nuclear fusion to foot-binding in Medieval China.

Fair play to the football people willing to venture in here to take on the elephant-sized task of explaining to this cohort why Bruno is an ideas man; why he's the answer to massed defences; why he takes chances because that's his job, etc. Etc. Etc. ETH. And so on, forever and ever and ever.
:lol:

El Jefe

Honestly, this is the most stupid title thread on the entire board…I get irrational angry every time I see it bumped.

No one player has unilateral influence to win or lose the league.

My next thread “we’ll never win the league Phil Jones under contract”…it’s just as arbitrary.
If that player is your best player or plays a central role in the performance of your team then it absolutely does.

I was sure we'd never win a league title with Lukaku as our main striker no matter how many goals he scored.

Bruno is the creative hub of this team so in a way the team will go as Bruno goes. I personally don't think we ever will win the league with him playing the role and importance he currently has with us, I just don't think he's good enough. Of course I could be wrong but I don't see it.

That isn't to say it's soley his fault but there is a limit to how good this team can be with Bruno having the responsibility and importance he currently has and has had since being here.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
If that player is your best player or plays a central role in the performance of your team then it absolutely does.

I was sure we'd never win a league title with Lukaku as our main striker no matter how many goals he scored.

Bruno is the creative hub of this team so in a way the team will go as Bruno goes. I personally don't think we ever will win the league with him playing the role and importance he currently has with us, I just don't think he's good enough. Of course I could be wrong but I don't see it.

That isn't to say it's soley his fault but there is a limit to how good this team can be with Bruno having the responsibility and importance he currently has and has had since being here.
And, to add to this is..

This has been proven by how our midfield has been open since 2020. Yes Fred takes another 50% of the blame.

Even yesterday game, we were so open. A good team would have scored more goals.

The turnovers in our Midfield are too many.

Bruno and Fred can't hold the ball for more than 5 seconds when pressed. That's why you see Bruno play acting alot, they don't know how to recycle possession, they don't know how to carry the ball forward, they don't know how to tackle well.

In high quality games, you will be destroyed.

We just need 2 midfielders and 1 elite striker. The team will be transformed immediately.

Grande

i think this is a partly loosided argument and partly too fanciful.

Much play go through Bruno Fernandez because he creates danger and makes play happen more than anyone else, and because he is more mobile and positionally accessible than anybody else. Not the other way around. He has been like that since day 1. He has been top notch for goals from MF, assists, chances created and key passes since long before our play was built around him and other players would have any reason to defer to him. In addition to that he presses and tracks back more than most of the players in his mold who are less dangerous even. Every time Bruno has been introduced or removed, it has been evident that United plays better and more functionally with him than without. We have had a long string of generally pretty talented players who has nowwhere near making our play more coherent, our possesion more stable etc. This under Solskjær, Rangnik and Ten Hag, different as they are in stryle and quality.

Just like looking at our forwards and teplacing Rashford because he as a top scorer scores less than Haaland would be stupid, because the obvious thing is to keep Rashford and strengthen striker and RW. Yes, once in a blue moon a team will improve through removing the lynchpin to evoke some synergic potential in other players, but those are exceptiona and hard to predict. Normally what works is to add quality to quality, and work with that. Anyone thinking that Bruno is what is holding back underperforming talents like Martial, Sancho, Ronaldo (haha), Antony and Fred, Greenwood (sigh), Weghorst, Van de Beek and Elanga (yeah right), need only see how they perform when Bruno is not on the pitch. There is no ‘unleashing’ going on, and for anyone saying ‘it’s because they are used to pander to Bruno’, take a look at us the month before Bruno first arrived. Thetruth is that the best football from Rashford, Martial and Greenwood has come when playing together with Bruno, and this goes even for Fred and McTomiany. Also, Uniteds best football since Ferguson has come with Bruno, some of this even under Solskjær.

So I don’t buy the claim that anyone knows we’d be likelier to win the league with a front six of, say, Casemiro, Bellingham, Rashford, Van de Beek/Sancho/Sabitzer/Fred, Antony, Osimhen, than with Casemiro, Bellingham, Rashford, Bruno, Antony, Osimhen. For instance.

Walters_19_MuFc

On the form he's been on in the last 4 or 5 games, there's not many better. Ridiculously good again today. Dominated from start to finish.

If we can get a younger version of Eriksen next to Bruno, with Cas holding, then that midfield, to me, is more than capable of winning the league. It would obviously mean getting players in other positions, too.

NZT-One

On the form he's been on in the last 4 or 5 games, there's not many better. Ridiculously good again today. Dominated from start to finish.

If we can get a younger version of Eriksen next to Bruno, with Cas holding, then that midfield, to me, is more than capable of winning the league. It would obviously mean getting players in other positions, too.
Close to the game therefor understandable but I feel it is a bit of a stretch after a game against Nottingham Forrest, that hasn't felt under control until the 2:0. Bruno has had a great game tonight, no question about that. He is in good form lately, it is a good sign after what felt a longlasting dip with man great actions and many unfortunate appearances.

Walters_19_MuFc

Close to the game therefor understandable but I feel it is a bit of a stretch after a game against Nottingham Forrest, that hasn't felt under control until the 2:0. Bruno has had a great game tonight, no question about that. He is in good form lately, it is a good sign after what felt a longlasting dip with man great actions and many unfortunate appearances.
So you don't think a midfield of Bruno, Cas and new midfielder could win us the league?

NZT-One

So you don't think a midfield of Bruno, Cas and new midfielder could win us the league?
Pretty difficult to say. I think, the midfield can be on par with the best on their day. The rest is difficult to say. Additionally, who would have thought, that Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs more or less as well take themselves out of competition early in the year.
I certainly wouldn't jump on conclusions after a 2:0 victory against a naive Nottingham side, who didn't react to us picking them apart due to their high line and the best game of Bruno since quite some time. If he would play like that in every match, there wouldn't be any criticism rolling his way occasionally. But he has had a great game, fair play to him.

Marcelinho87

Why do we act as though Eriksen is 36 or something he's 31 as is Casemiro and Bruno is only 3 years behind them..

Eriksen, despite his heart issue is in fine fettle and could easil go another 5 seasons.

Rightnr

He was great today and as of late but as always, the point the knee-jerkers miss is that he's still to prove we can dominate the big teams with him.

Marwood

He was great today and as of late but as always, the point the knee-jerkers miss is that he's still to prove we can dominate the big teams with him.
How would he prove that though?

He'd need all his teamates to really perform for that to happen right?

Walters_19_MuFc

Why do we act as though Eriksen is 36 or something he's 31 as is Casemiro and Bruno is only 3 years behind them..

Eriksen, despite his heart issue is in fine fettle and could easil go another 5 seasons.
I don't believe Eriksen was bought to play the deeper role. The unsuccessful pursuit of players like De Jong and Rabiot forced ten Hag to play him there, and to be fair to him, he's done very well. However, we need another playmaker to rotate with him and Bruno. Preferably someone who is more dynamic, too. Games like today where we dominate are fine, but we need a bit more grit against teams where that won't be the case.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Eriksen did seem to struggle with the amount of games he was playing before his injury. Seemed to regularly drop off quite significantly after 60 minutes or so, and in the month before the injury he seemed to be struggling even from the start of games.

I do hope he will be able to play well for us for many years to come, but I don't think we can rely on him being our main starter in that position. I think we'll need to bring in someone else; whether it's someone that outright takes over as our main starter, or if it's someone who is more at the same level so they can rotate.

Oh aye, remember how we always dominated the top teams with Scholes, even in the years we were a bit shite.
And how on Earth do you explain that we can’t dominate the big teams with Casemiro despite the fact that he has spent almost his entire career at another club dominating the big teams? maybe just maybe you also need other players to be up to the standard of domination? And if you think Utd have ever had a team capable of “dominating” big teams during Fernandes time here, I think you seriously need to go and give your head a massive shake or maybe just whack it against a brick wall.
Christ on a bike man, and calling people who rate Bruno as knee jerkers shows a complete lack of understanding for the term.

Last edited:

Natener

31 in FM terms means 426years old. Any player above 29 needs a younger version, ideally someone 24-26 who needs a prodigy backup ideally 18-21years old.

tjb

Bruno has done well in some big games.
Watch the big games that we lose. The issue we have isn't Bruno, it has always been the connection between our defence and midfield, absolutely nothing to do with Bruno. In fact, I'd go as far as saying the Liverpool game was the one truly poor game Bruno has had against the top sides( we've had other bad games as a team, but this was one in which Bruno himself stood out as poor).

What Bruno has proven this season and over the last weeks is how adaptable his game is. This was something the naysayers had always used as a stick to beat him with. He has played on the right flank as an 8 and even as the deepest midfielder as well. He's proven himself to be very versatile and adaptable. Yes he can't play on the left wing, but he's shown willingness to even try to do it. For me, his will and fight is what makes him the face of the team and explains why, despite his frustrations during a game, he is clearly captain.

Our fans clearly appreciate him, but I feel sometimes they don't truly understand why he is always the focus, both positively and negatively. He always imposes himself on a game, he always hustles, he is always willing to take risks that others might be too afraid to take. Half the time, the risks he does take don't come off as a result of poor iq and control from some of his teammates. Watch Arsenal, even when a ball is slightly overhit, Saka, Jesus' and Saka's ability to fight and control the ball, allows the possessions to stay succesful. Even with us, Martial playing as a 9 is so different in terms of control that Weghorst. Today he was surrounded by Eriksen, Casemiro, Martial and Antony. All of whom are decent on the ball.

OrcaFat

Eriksen did seem to struggle with the amount of games he was playing before his injury. Seemed to regularly drop off quite significantly after 60 minutes or so, and in the month before the injury he seemed to be struggling even from the start of games.

I do hope he will be able to play well for us for many years to come, but I don't think we can rely on him being our main starter in that position. I think we'll need to bring in someone else; whether it's someone that outright takes over as our main starter, or if it's someone who is more at the same level so they can rotate.
Perfectly fair assessment and I agree. However, if we sign Sabitzer for cheap, I’m happy to wait another year or two for that elite no8 so that we can spend the big money on a striker first, then RB and possibly GK.

Yorke to Cole

We have more chance of winning the league with Fernandes in the team than we have with the Glazer's staying on as owners.

Rightnr

How would he prove that though?

He'd need all his teamates to really perform for that to happen right?
This is definitely true. The first real test is hopefully next season when we can have a solid team around him that actually stays fit and our schedule is not as crazy.

My scepticism is mostly about whether he's press resistant because when we do well against the top sides with Bruno, it's usually a counter-attacking masterclass.

sparx99

I’ve always thought Bruno is kind of our master of chaos. The problem is you need the rest of the team to then be press resistant and able to control possession.

With Fred and McTominay in midfield we have too much positional insecurity and too many giving the ball away. With Casemiro and Eriksen behind Bruno we have those guys keeping the ball and then Bruno can ply the maverick.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Crazy how this is the guy that gets all the criticism when we haven't had a striker for most of the season and he's carried the sole burden for creating chances.

youngrell

It’s a strange concept really, given that if he really only struggles vs the top teams as a lot of people complain, we could quite easily swap him for a more stable, possession minded player for those games and then allow him to tear it up vs the weaker ones.

Plenty of other teams, including us many times under SAF, dropped regular first teamers and/or attackers for tricky games for tactical reasons. We still won the league.

The United

I say he was struggling right after the first 45 minutes, not even 60 minutes. Regardless, his position would be the main one in midfield that we find someone to play for the long term, as you stated.

zaafi

This aged well.
Dude, why are you so obsessed with me? :lol: Like you're clearly after me and every post I have about Bruno or whatever.

Bruno has drastically changed his way of playing after he was put deeper, and there's a reason why other posters that have been criticising him and myself have been recently praising him for this exact change in his style. He's always been one that creates chances, but now he's stopped these random passes that go nowhere, and helps build up slowly, instead of just hoofing a 60 yard pass to absolutely no one.

edit: realised that post was from November ffs :lol: imagine going through my posts to find something I said back then to bring it back up now that he's doing well

Last edited:

Jimmyheals

I think for people, the problem with Bruno is his early success. He scored goals at an amazing rate for a midfielder, and now it’s slowed and he is “crap”? For me he is doing the jobs asked (he is playing all over) very well.
You saw the same with Rashy, a lot of goals early in his career then has a bad year and he is “crap” and we should sell him, now he is world class again. However, some of you lot would have sold him!?! These players have ups and downs, they vary in their roles, let’s judge them on their body of work for the club, and give improvement a chance.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Dude, why are you so obsessed with me? :lol: Like you're clearly after me and every post I have about Bruno or whatever.

Bruno has drastically changed his way of playing after he was put deeper, and there's a reason why other posters that have been criticising him and myself have been recently praising him for this exact change in his style. He's always been one that creates chances, but now he's stopped these random passes that go nowhere, and helps build up slowly, instead of just hoofing a 60 yard pass to absolutely no one.
Not my fault you leave yourself open to criticism so frequently. And considering the amount of stick you give other posters when you disagree with their opinions, you probably shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it.

The next time Bruno has a couple of poor games where he misplaces a few passes, you'll revert to type and try claiming that he's always been a braindead footballer who we need to sell. I'm just calling you out on it now before your next overreaction inevitably ensues in a few weeks time.

zaafi

Not my fault you leave yourself open to criticism so frequently. And considering the amount of stick you give other posters when you disagree with their opinions, you probably shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it.

The next time Bruno has a couple of poor games where he misplaces a few passes, you'll revert to type and try claiming that he's always been a braindead footballer who we need to sell. I'm just calling you out on it now before your next overreaction inevitably ensues in a few weeks time.
That comment was from November on page 5. Did you look up my profile and check my history or did you just happen to scroll through all those pages? I mean, this is a forum after all and praising or criticising players in a Player Performance Thread isn't exactly odd, is it?
What do you even mean by the amount of stick I give other posters who disagree with me? That's not even true. Weird how you just make things up. You're seriously a strange individual.

And all of this comes from me saying KdB was a better player than Bruno, or that I think Mahrez' peak was better than how Khvicha Kvaratskhelia has performed so far. Those are my opinions. And for some reason you've just decided I'm a City fan, despite me always discussing United matters. You should really just stop this stalking of me, because in the end we just want whats best for United and this whole thing is slightly creepy, to be honest.

Another thing, I don't see you quoting other posters who shared my thoughts regarding Bruno either, so like I said, you're clearly obsessed.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
He's a very good player but will never be part of a very top level consistent team. It's no slight, he just isn't there, technically and mentally.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That comment was from November on page 5. Did you look up my profile and check my history or did you just happen to scroll through all those pages? I mean, this is a forum after all and praising or criticising players in a Player Performance Thread isn't exactly odd, is it?
What do you even mean by the amount of stick I give other posters who disagree with me? That's not even true. Weird how you just make things up. You're seriously a strange individual.

And all of this comes from me saying KdB was a better player than Bruno, or that I think Mahrez' peak was better than how Khvicha Kvaratskhelia has performed so far. Those are my opinions. And for some reason you've just decided I'm a City fan, despite me always discussing United matters. You should really just stop this stalking of me, because in the end we just want whats best for United and this whole thing is slightly creepy, to be honest.

Another thing, I don't see you quoting other posters who shared my thoughts regarding Bruno either, so like I said, you're clearly obsessed.
You were on here less than a month ago saying that United need to get rid of him. I chose to quote your November post as the 'braindead' comment was easier to search for, and it was one that stood out at the time as being over the top.

If there were other posters who were dishing out such frequent unwarranted criticism of one of our best post-Fergie signings, whilst at the same time commenting on other threads saying that Aguero is one of their all time favourite players then I'd be calling them a City fan as well. United fans have been spoilt with so many club legends over the years and you're on here saying that a Man City legend is one of your favourite ever players, and yet you think I'm the one who's a strange individual? :lol:

wangyu

I think on Thursday the doubters will see we cannot miss Bruno. He creates chances, at least 3 per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.