We will never win the league with Bruno Fernandes in the team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoTMS

He's been awful for a long time now. He's living off his past reputation.

Mr PG

United fans looking for the next hate figure..it never disappoints

Eli Zee

Could be true but I wouldn't blame it on him the same way 6 years ago we could have said the same statement about De Gea or Pogba or anyone else.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Could be true but I wouldn't blame it on him the same way 6 years ago we could have said the same statement about De Gea or Pogba or anyone else.
Pogbas gone and DDG is still an issue with how we supposedly want to play!

RedRoach

United fans looking for the next hate figure..it never disappoints
I am not sure. As a club we need to get back to the point where players either play well and justify their place in the team or go to the bench until they raise their game. Nobody should be an automatic starter and there should be competitive pressure for places.

I loved Bruno in his first couple of years, but he has been bad for a while now and the sustained poor performances can't go on forever. Ever since Ronaldo joined in fact he has gone to shit.

ETH needs to start rotating him and Eriksen (maybe Sancho as well) and get one of them to perform well in the 10 role because what is happening now is not working clearly.

RedOrange

He has picked it up in the last couple of games. You've got his rate stats over the last year there which isn't going to show much.

lex talionis

Bruno needs to do more as far as I'm concerned. We see the workrate and he's got a killer long ball pass instinct, but he's virtually useless in tight spaces. Among other things, I see in Bruno as footballer who doesn't move after making the short pass.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Bruno should be dropped now for sure. The title of this thread is still ridiculous though. You could make an argument about 90% of the squad not being good enough for the title. How many get in the City best 11? Probably not even any of them. Considering they are the team we'd have to displace I think we can forget about league titles for years to come. We are miles off them and won't get close for years now sadly.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Thank God we preserved his value with that new contract. We're not half run by idiots.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He has picked it up in the last couple of games. You've got his rate stats over the last year there which isn't going to show much.
I'd argue they're far more reflective than a couple of games. Thus far this year he's attempted ~21.2 live passes per game. Though this is thrown off pretty considerably by the outlier match against Sheriff, and with that removed he's at ~19.4 live pass attempts per game. Still definitely in yeesh territory.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Rest and rotation is needed for every player, the lad is only human. So many short sighted clowns giving funny opinions on the man #kneejerk

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
High time. Clowns. High time. And clowns. Bruno Fernandes, well, he’s a footballer, happens to play with the Manchester United club. Midfielder, captains the side. So there is some tenuous link, in that sense, I suppose. Man Utd forum, and all that. High time. Yes, and clowns. Indeed.

SirScholes

High time. Clowns. High time. And clowns. Bruno Fernandes, well, he’s a footballer, happens to play with the Manchester United club. Midfielder, captains the side. So there is some tenuous link, in that sense, I suppose. Man Utd forum, and all that. High time. Yes, and clowns. Indeed.
Simmer down poor man’s cantona, simmer down

Set up the first goal with a lovely pass, 90% pass completion rate, worked his ass off, but oh well, we’ve a new scapegoat figure though I see. Maguire’s gone, better find a new one.

Mr PG

We will eventually need an upgrade on Bruno but for now we have much bigger priority positions to fix...upgrade both fullbacks...replace Keeper.....replace Varane(too injury prone) buy a striker

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We will eventually need an upgrade on Bruno but for now we have much bigger priority positions to fix...upgrade both fullbacks...replace Keeper.....replace Varane(too injury prone) buy a striker
I’m not sure you build a whole team and then when you’re done, put a new heart in it. For the two or three years development/evolution of said team - surely you want them developing in a style/pattern of play, presumably one that involves keeping the ball and having a positional structure. The things you want to be upgrading at the end would be just the quality of a player - not one that then changes the approach.

That’s the thing, people have chosen to just employ a ‘how can Bruno be ‘the problem’ when player x is worse than him?’ approach. It’s not as simple as that. Player x may be a worse player, but their presence doesn’t necessarily impact a fundamental approach. You can replace one ball winner with a better one, for example. Or replace Rashford with a more consistent version. For me, it’s more about the style of play or approach to the game.

For me, Bruno is one of the most urgent players to replace not because of his quality alone, but he almost embodies the contrast between controlling football and disorganised football. As an individual, he’s one of the better players on the team, but I maintain is the biggest problem if I had to pick one individual of our regular players because fundamentally, ‘Bruno Ball’ is our problem and I don’t see how we even begin to move forward stylistically with such a player.

Again, not about quality alone. We don’t need to be City, but the difference between City and Brighton is simply quality - the difference between City and us is probably more approach than it is quality. If Brighton had equal talent, they’d be a better football team than us. A player like Bruno only belongs at the top teams if he happens to be a Balon’Dor or generational exceptional talent. Which he isn’t.

Lemon Moon

I think that's a bit harsh, some valid points it has to be said. I think his short game can be improved but I do this he's the right kind of player we need in his role. He definitely needs to be more consistent but everyone does. I'd like to see his decision making improve and be more ruthless. I back him to improve.

Players do turn it around, it's crazy how the general consensus presently is Rashford + Martial over Ronaldo. Imagine saying or thinking that 12 months ago, absolute bonkers how the field alters and changes as we move forward.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I am not sure. As a club we need to get back to the point where players either play well and justify their place in the team or go to the bench until they raise their game. Nobody should be an automatic starter and there should be competitive pressure for places.

I loved Bruno in his first couple of years, but he has been bad for a while now and the sustained poor performances can't go on forever. Ever since Ronaldo joined in fact he has gone to shit.

ETH needs to start rotating him and Eriksen (maybe Sancho as well) and get one of them to perform well in the 10 role because what is happening now is not working clearly.
The Ronaldo signing has caused so much trouble and expense for Manchester United it is ridiculous. Did nobody foresee that bringing an absolute legend of Portuguese football into the squad might have some impact - possibly a negative one on Dalot and indeed Bruno - who plays close alongside him, on the pitch? They were always trying to feed him the ball (a bit like the other night) hence his impressive goal tally last season, but at what expense to the team and to Bruno's long term development too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think that's a bit harsh, some valid points it has to be said. I think his short game can be improved but I do this he's the right kind of player we need in his role. He definitely needs to be more consistent but everyone does. I'd like to see his decision making improve and be more ruthless. I back him to improve.

Players do turn it around, it's crazy how the general consensus presently is Rashford + Martial over Ronaldo. Imagine saying or thinking that 12 months ago, absolute bonkers how the field alters and changes as we move forward.
Rashford and Martial have always been good players though. It has always been a question of form. Unlike Ronaldo, we know it isn’t because they are 37. But apart from the posters consumed with hateful emotion who have vacated any rationality and have just been lashing out - we know that Martial is not a 4 goal a season player. He just had a. 4 goal season.

With Bruno, it isn’t about form for me. Bruno in very top form is still not the right player, for me. Unless our aspiration is build a team that competes for the top 4 at best. A Bruno at his very best is a band aid. I said from very early in his time here - he was the player we needed at the time he joined, because results almost took priority over any system or structure. Bruno can put scores on the doors, and we needed someone to come in and do it quickly. However, it was also clear to me that he would not be the man for the team we want to become in the longer term. He was a hired gun almost, forget any team building, just bring your G+A and help us get back into the CL. But once we had established that level, we would then still need to go back and do it the harder/longer way and build a team that is made of the right foundations that can stand up to different challenges and elevate each other to the highest level. We can’t take the short route. We can’t take the Bruno route. We should have know that was not a recipe to return us to the very top. The only way we can get back to the very top is to build a top class functioning unit, one that isn’t based on how an individual feels from game to game, but one that plays with a system that puts us in with a good chance of scoring 3 goals in every game we play.

As I said, we were drifting towards midtable and struggling offensively. Bruno was absolutely needed. He was needed because the team that he joined was not ready for a Modric. Or a Bernardo etc. We didn’t have the infrastructure for players like this. Bruno was basically a hit man, who didn’t require a fantastic unit to deliver numbers, doesn’t require a team to have loads of the ball. He will just try to affect the scoreline more than our opponent, even if we lose the ‘match’ (as in the flow if the game). Surely that could not have been our longer term strategy to once again compete for the biggest honours in football though? If it was then we are clueless. It is obviously not sustainable.

Teams that make Modric or Silva look good are more likely to win trophies than teams that make Bruno look good, in my opinion. And the general view has always been players like Modric and Silva would not thrive at United. We should aspire to be the type of environment where such players thrive, and if not, their teams will invariably beat ours to trophies and matches. If our Bruno was a Messi, or even a Hazard - then it could maybe even have a small chance of success. But Bruno himself is not that special an individual to construct a team approach around what he offers. We will continue to fall short, no matter how much we spend on other players, until we move away from the type of football we play. And moving away from that type of football, on the evidence I have seen over the last few years, would require moving away from Bruno Fernandes. He has no place not only in a United team, but in any team that aspires to win major honours. Unless there is some sort of asterisk where they also have Mbappé, Messi, Van Dijk, Haaland etc, before others bring the ‘what about if the other 10 were…’ scenarios.

CatsOfUlthar

I don't really understand why this anti Bruno train is a thing now.

I still rate him, he's played for three different managers with no consistent system, none of whom have so far made any positive lasting changes to our club.

I like his passion, I believe it's known as moaning when you're not successful, I appreciate his ability to contribute even if that hasn't been widely exercised to the best of his abilities, and I appreciate we're rebuilding for the umpteenth time while all our rivals have been on solid investments for over a decade.

I think we can win a league title with him in our side, in fact, I think that's something I'd like to see.

Mr PG

Bruno plays every game like it's his last, is never injured should have had a goal or two yesterday(if Ronaldo hadn't decided to stray offside) still ended up with huge contribution. Eric would never start him if he wasn't producing as you've seen with Ronaldo, Casemiro, Maguire and Shaw.

SAFC-RED

Supports
Sunderland
We had a four year thread like this with Pogba which was ultimately proven right, and it's high time that this was said in the same direct manner.

Bruno Fernandes is a pseudo midfielder without any top level ability to play a short game. He has no ability to retain the ball under pressure and compensates for this by swinging the ball with his first touch (or falling over) if he receives the ball with an opponent on him. He gives us no real advantage on the ball with the exception of an ability to at times play some outrageous final passes. He cannot open up a game with a quick one-two, a dribble or a carry, so in real terms - he does not add as much creativity to the team as is made out, because the ability to step away from two players and then play in Sancho to get an assist is of greater value to the team as a whole than the assists he may get himself from swinging it in behind first time from deep.

We effectively need to rely on two midfielders to keep the ball rather than 3, which is fine against the few teams that are scared shitless of us, but there are not many of those any more. This is a part of why we cannot keep the ball at a top level. In order to be a 'possession team', you absolutely need players with courage on the ball. Courage is not 'trying a risky pass', but it is trusting yourself to take it and absolutely ensure that the next person that gets it is one of your teammates, regardless of pressure around you. Preferably at speed.

Bruno is good at a few things, but whatever they are, he is not good at being a midfielder in any fundamental sense of the word. Given that the act of scoring or creating a chance comes so infrequently for any player, he is too poor at anything else for us to have a top class midfield 3 with him in it. Similarly to Pogba - he's a cherry on top player. It's not as noticeable to many as it is with Pogba because the issue and complaint there was that he needed to be carried without the ball. With Bruno, it is more the opposite in that without the ball he will do his bit, but a top team needs to carry him with the ball, i.e - find a way of becoming a dominant possession team bizarrely without much contribution from it's #10, probably the player supposed to be most fundamental to it. I say we'd never win the league like this because simply, over 38 games, any sort of throwback football Bruno may excel in will almost certainly fall short. The only title winner he could have played for is Leicester's anomaly of 2016 - whose football he would have suited perfectly.

The quicker we accept that we cannot cheat the process by sticking a few goals in the side and instead need to establish foundations, the quicker we will be on our way. And the shrinking minority who seem to believe that this can happen with Bruno in the team need to wake up and see what has been staring them in the face. There is no 'Bruno hatred' not even any 'Bruno vs Pogba' anymore. This is just what it is.
Man Utd are miles away from winning the League and Bruno is not the main reason for that - he will help on the route back to challenging

Rightnr

Looking like it's any trophy, let alone the PL

hobbers

I'd take £40m for him in a heartbeat. He's essentially worthless.

Faster he's binned off the better, the Harry Maguire of number 10s.

Rightnr

I'd take £40m for him in a heartbeat. He's essentially worthless.

Faster he's binned off the better, the Harry Maguire of number 10s.
No chance with the preserved value contract he's now on.

He's also 28. We are a football club run by a bunch of Trusses

OT_United

Bruno's shooting as genuinely appalling, skies it every time. Used to be a brilliant striker of the ball

Eddy_JukeZ

The Russell Westbrook of the footballing world.

Simply can't win with him.

FriedClams

Holding us back, undoubtedly. Sooner we switch to a proper4-3-3 with the wide players staying wide and being the ones responsible for creating chances, the better off we will be.

Idxomer

I don't think we'll ever win any trophy with him at the heart of the team.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He should be asked to shoot on target in training until Sunday. Non stop.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Most toxic, 0 composure, and brainless CAM I've ever seen.
When he came here he was exceptional, his importance in the team and the plaudits he received went to his head.

Kaos

You can't knock his work rate but god does his hollywood balls that fail to come off 9/10 times irk me, as does his shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.