Welcome to the new XenForo 2 site

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
If you're in a thread and someone quotes you in that thread you don't get a notification.
For example, I was showing as 1 alert, but when I opened it up, there were 4.

btw, just taking this opportunity of showing off that I had 4 alerts :cool:
So I'm trying to recreate this and have done the following:

Scenario 1

1) As "User 1", visit page 2 of a 4 page thread
2) In a separate session as "User 2", visit page 4 of the same thread and make a post tagging "User 1"
3) Then as User 1, I immediately navigate to page 3 of the same thread. I see the new "1" alert icon in the top navigation.

This is the expected behaviour as I have not yet viewed the page where the alert was made.

Scenario 2

1) As "Use 1", Visit page 3 of a 4 page thread
2) In a separate session as "User 2", visit page 4 of the same thread and make a post tagging "User 1"
3) Then as User 1, I immediately navigate to page 4 of the same thread, the page where I was just tagged. I do not see the "1" alert icon in the top navigation as I have effectively navigated to the alert by being on the same page as it.

I guess this could be considered the expected behaviour also. Once you're on the page where the alert is you are considered to have seen it. That may not always happen though as it could potentially be higher up the page and missed. I'd say this is a fairly unlikely scenario though, not one that people should be seeing on a regular basis.

Does this scenario 2 cover what you're both seeing @Samid @Sassy Colin or is it something else?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I can make one post fine, but then the site seems to sit in a refresh, with yellow lines whisking across the top of the screen, not allowing another post.

I have to go into another website, then back into here, if I want to post again!

Any ideas!?

The pro is that with this new version I don't have to sign back in every single time I come to the forum, on phone or laptop.
But this is probably more annoying than that!
That sounds like an issue with your device. Possibly browser extensions interfering with the site? Try browsing the site in incognito mode with all extensions disabled and see if it works properly.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This stuff is seriously annoying:

I know what you mean. I think it's if some of the posts on the page have something in them, like a video or embedded Tweet, you'll be taken to the post you're supposed to, but then the video or Tweet will load afterwards making the post bigger, and therefore making the page longer, so you're not at the right post anymore.

I may have phrased that terribly :lol:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I know what you mean. I think it's if some of the posts on the page have something in them, like a video or embedded Tweet, you'll be taken to the post you're supposed to, but then the video or Tweet will load afterwards making the post bigger, and therefore making the page longer, so you're not at the right post anymore.

I may have phrased that terribly :lol:
That actually makes total sense. It’s bloody annoying!
Oh wow, I think this may be it actually.
I've been meaning to post the same, but couldn't figure out how to word it.
This stuff is seriously annoying:
So what browsers / devices are you seeing this on? Apparently some browsers (Chrome, Firefox) have introduced a "scroll anchoring" feature to combat this very thing. It's supposed to ensure what you see on the screen doesn't jump around as media is loaded elsewhere on the page.

I haven't researched this in much detail yet but I'm curious to see what browser/devices you're on and whether they support scroll anchoring or not.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So what browsers / devices are you seeing this on? Apparently some browsers (Chrome, Firefox) have introduced a "scroll anchoring" feature to combat this very thing. It's supposed to ensure what you see on the screen doesn't jump around as media is loaded elsewhere on the page.

I haven't researched this in much detail yet but I'm curious to see what browser/devices you're on and whether they support scroll anchoring or not.
Can't remember if I noticed it on a desktop computer, but definitely on mobile with the Chrome browser.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Laptop, Windows 10, Chrome. It's randomly intermittent, still happens, but not as often as it used to.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

I'm using Firefox 71.0 on Windows 7.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Scenario 1

3) Then as User 1, I immediately navigate to page 3 of the same thread. I see the new "1" alert icon in the top navigation.

This is the expected behaviour as I have not yet viewed the page where the alert was made.

Scenario 2

3) Then as User 1, I immediately navigate to page 4 of the same thread, the page where I was just tagged. I do not see the "1" alert icon in the top navigation as I have effectively navigated to the alert by being on the same page as it.

I guess this could be considered the expected behaviour also. Once you're on the page where the alert is you are considered to have seen it. That may not always happen though as it could potentially be higher up the page and missed. I'd say this is a fairly unlikely scenario though, not one that people should be seeing on a regular basis.

Does this scenario 2 cover what you're both seeing @Samid @Sassy Colin or is it something else?
I experience it mostly when I'm posting quotes in press conference threads. Like when I posted #29 in this thread, I wouldn't have been alerted on the quote in #27. So I think scenario 2 covers it in my case.

It's also fairly regular during games in the match threads. Especially if you remain in the thread after posting and refresh the thread with your next action.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Chrome on iOS mate.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Chrome on mobile for me, haven't tested it on desktop.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
As an example I just looked at my 'Watched' page and the Labour leader thread showed up in bold, so I clicked on and it went to post 1225, which I knew I'd already read, scrolled down and the only unread post was 1231, which was labelled new. So although that was the only post labelled new I wasn't taken to it.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

I keep seeing this every now and then.

It goes white and says "This page isn't working, if the problem continues, contact the site manager"

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What were you posting exactly?
This post.

He was good back up but it's a good move for player. Like Smalling he can enjoy Serie A before retiring.

We have enough numbers for fullback positions, just have to hope Dalot stays fit.

LB: Shaw and Williams
RB: AWB and Dalot.

We also have Laird who might get few games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Recency should be heavily weighted. What are you searching for and with what search words?
I can't remember what exactly i was searching for - but in general recency does seem the most weighted thing - but posts from the past will randomly pop in and other recent posts won't pop in.

Next time I'm searching for something and I notice it I'll take some screenshots.

Assume it's not possible to have a filter come up with the search (i.e sort by recent/earliest/most relevant) ... though to be fair can't think how much use that would really get.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
The search function has totally ruined the football forum experience for me. I was searching for Lukaku thread and it didn't show it in the search, or at least in first 15-20 results, despite when checking it "manually" it was on the first page in football forum and it being probably one of the latest threads with "Lukaku" in the title.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The search function has totally ruined the football forum experience for me. I was searching for Lukaku thread and it didn't show it in the search, or at least in first 15-20 results, despite when checking it "manually" it was on the first page in football forum and it being probably one of the latest threads with "Lukaku" in the title.
I presume you're referring to the Inter thread? I searched "Lukaku" and it came up around result number 12. What search term did you use?

But I can understand your frustration. Thread titles should probably be weighted more heavily than post content. I'll look into it but I don't think XenForo gives fine grained control over that.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I presume you're referring to the Inter thread? I searched "Lukaku" and it came up around result number 12. What search term did you use?

But I can understand your frustration. Thread titles should probably be weighted more heavily than post content. I'll look into it but I don't think XenForo gives fine grained control over that.
It should be ordered by date creates, IMO, like it was before. For example it shows Lukaku thread that was created in may before that Inter thread that was created in August, which doesn't make sense.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It should be ordered by date creates, IMO, like it was before. For example it shows Lukaku thread that was created in may before that Inter thread that was created in August, which doesn't make sense.
Would date of last post be better, if possible? That would send ancient threads with hardly any posts in down the list.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
As an example I just looked at my 'Watched' page and the Labour leader thread showed up in bold, so I clicked on and it went to post 1225, which I knew I'd already read, scrolled down and the only unread post was 1231, which was labelled new. So although that was the only post labelled new I wasn't taken to it.
This error isn't happening any more, I seem to get taken to the first unread post every time now.

Moby

Dick
I'm having issues creating PMs. When I go to add someone to the convo after typing the first 2 letters it comes up with an error message @Niall @Damien
Same thing for me @Niall @Damien I get this error when trying to type a name to start a conversation. Hence I have to go to the profile of the poster and click on Start Conversation from there. Which means I can only start conversation with one poster and also can't invite anyone once it is started.

DoomSlayer

I still have an occasional problem on my phone when I'm on the Caf, sometimes all the options for typing comments, like Bold, Italic, the Smilies and so forth, are completely unavailable for usage and it's not due to clicking the little cog at the end, because even that doesn't work.

It's happening on an Android phone through Chrome, if that matters in any way. The functions suddenly become unusable and I have no idea what the reason is or why if I leave the site for a bit, it just fixes itself suddenly.

stu_1992

I still have an occasional problem on my phone when I'm on the Caf, sometimes all the options for typing comments, like Bold, Italic, the Smilies and so forth, are completely unavailable for usage and it's not due to clicking the little cog at the end, because even that doesn't work.

It's happening on an Android phone through Chrome, if that matters in any way. The functions suddenly become unusable and I have no idea what the reason is or why if I leave the site for a bit, it just fixes itself suddenly.
Had this ealrier too when trying to post a comment with an emoji on my phone, android as well. Chrome browser. In the end I typed out the code for the emoji but the actual option to select one was completely greyed out. Its possible the bold and italic options were the same.

DoomSlayer

Had this ealrier too when trying to post a comment with an emoji on my phone, android as well. Chrome browser. In the end I typed out the code for the emoji but the actual option to select one was completely greyed out. Its possible the bold and italic options were the same.
Same, I've had to learn how to manually type some of the smileys. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I am able to type in the text box however all the options above are faded and hence inaccessible (bold, smileys, media etc). Help, lord @Niall !

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Couldn't really tell you the circumstances, but at half time I had 1 notification, but I had been quoted 3 times.

Anustart89

Couldn't really tell you the circumstances, but at half time I had 1 notification, but I had been quoted 3 times.
Probably because you manually went to the page that the notification was on. Say you're on page 44 of the match thread, then you refresh and you get quoted on pages 44 (1), 45 (1) and 46 (1). So you refresh page 44, keep reading in the thread and manually go to page 45, the forum will see that you've been on the pages you've been quoted on and remove the notifications, but since you haven't been on page 46 you still get the notification for that.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Probably because you manually went to the page that the notification was on. Say you're on page 44 of the match thread, then you refresh and you get quoted on pages 44 (1), 45 (1) and 46 (1). So you refresh page 44, keep reading in the thread and manually go to page 45, the forum will see that you've been on the pages you've been quoted on and remove the notifications, but since you haven't been on page 46 you still get the notification for that.
Previously, all the notifications stayed up until you expanded the notification button.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I can't quote, only reply.
Makes the WW games really frustrating.

On ipad, if that matters.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
What happens when you try to quote?
"Oops we ran into some problems......"

Reply works fine, so i have to reply to one, then mark the space i want the next one, then reply to another.

D4X73r

I don't know if this is already known to you, but in Match Day threads, when I want to view the threadmarks, I get the most recent and this "..." as options. If I click the "..." I see the same threadmarks again. See screenshot:

I'm using Chrome mobile here on an Android (Xiamoi Redmi 6)

Anyone else struggling to reply to selected text on mobile (using chrome on iphone)
When i select a portion of text to reply to rather than the whole message the reply link doesn't seem to work/even be a link. The quote one is fine though