Well done Spurs fans

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
You've done it again. Completely misrepresented what I've said. Amazing.

You were the first person to mention Manchester United in this thread. Which is kind of ironic, considering the theme of your sniping at me.
Let me put it this way, if this had been a United game, and "all we'd done is sing until the end whilst losing a foregone conclusion" (like when we were 3-0 down at fulham for example) and someone had started this thread, you wouldn't for a second think of responding in the instantly negative way you have....and in fact you'd most likely respond in the affirmative that indeed a well done, and a bit of credit was justified.

My sniping is merely because I saw no reason for you to come in this rather innocent thread about giving credit to a set of fans for singing, and instantly start sniping about how it wasn't actually that good, other than your partisanship ...And as a fan who sings and has been to many games where it's been impossible to get singing going or in which crowds I've been in have been slagged off by armchairs for being shitter than they'd obviously make them, I actually quite like it when crowds do rise to the occasion (whoseever they are) and find the knee-jerk partizanisms that purvey these kind of discussions on fans rather annoying.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Let me put it this way, if this had been a United game, and "all we'd done is sing until the end whilst losing a foregone conclusion" (like when we were 3-0 down at fulham for example) and someone had started this thread, you wouldn't for a second think of responding in the instantly negative way you have....and in fact you'd most likely respond in the affirmative that indeed a well done, and a bit of credit was justified.

My sniping is merely because I saw no reason for you to come in this rather innocent thread about giving credit to a set of fans for singing, and instantly start sniping about how it wasn't actually that good, other than your partisanship ...And as a fan who sings and has been to many games where it's been impossible to get singing going or in which crowds I've been in have been slagged off by armchairs for being shitter than they'd obviously make them, I actually quite like it when crowds do rise to the occasion (whoseever they are) and find the knee-jerk partizanisms that purvey these kind of discussions on fans rather annoying.
:lol: amazing. You've done it a third time.

Christ, what is your problem? I know you've got some weird beef about me not giving opposition fans/teams enough credit but my comments on here have feck all to do with my identity as a United fan.

In fact, if you check out my second post in the thread you'll see me turn down an opportunity to have a snipe at City fans (you know, the fans who support an actual, genuine rival to MUFC?) Instead, I said they should be given the benefit of the doubt by assuming they will behave in exactly the same way as Spurs fans, despite having higher expectations.

Hardly the type of comment you'd expect from someone who you've decided is is completely unable to offer an opinion on football fans other than bigging up Manchester United and slagging off anyone who supports a different club.

Good effort though, you've really worked that straw man to death.

Mockney

And you - as usual - have failed to answer the bulk of the point and picked out your usual quotes and instances to focus your reply on...

Can you please answer the top question...How would you react in the situation if it was United?

Or, if you don't like that, merely address why you felt the need to come in here and declare it a bizarre idea for a thread in the first place?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
ffs.

anyway. well done Spurs (the team) for their run in the CL. some of their games this season have been unbelievable.

as for their fans, I think they recognized that and gave them credit for it.

now they can feck off while we get busy trying to get some major silverware.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And you - as usual - have failed to answer the bulk of the point and picked out your usual quotes and instances to focus your reply on...
This is like a song by Alanis Morrisette, only featuring actual irony. I take it you're going to completely ignore the bulk of my point regarding my post about City fans? Fair enough.

Can you please answer the top question...How would you react in the situation if it was United?
Almost impossible to translate this scenario.

You'd need to come up with a competition we haven't ever been good enough to compete in before, watch the team do better than I dared hope and then play in a fixture where the outcome was never in any doubt - even before a ball was kicked. In that scenario I have absolutely no doubt our fans would treat it as a grand day out. A bit like the Spurs fans. Would I be proud of them? Not particularly. I'd be very proud of the team, though. As I'm sure most Spurs fans are of theirs. Hence all the singing last night.

As I said, it's supporting the team in real adversity that's impressive. Liverpool fans singing YAWN at the end of depressing defeat in a terrible campaign, something that happened a fair bit last year (OMG, did I really just give credit to fans that don't support United?).

Or, if you don't like that, merely address why you felt the need to come in here and declare it a bizarre idea for a thread in the first place?
Erm.. That would be because it is a bizarre idea for a thread. Crazy the way this place works sometimes. People offering actual opinions on the premise of a thread. Mental.

Mockney

I never brought City up, and I await for you applaud their support before I congratulate you for not being Andy@Allderton without the conspiracy....As for Liverpool, well you brought that up, and doing so after I've accused you of being needlessly partisan and ungracious, it doesn't count for too much...It could all just be an attempt to dampen such accusations after the fact..

From my knowledge of you as a poster, I think my initial assessment is fair. I thought Spurs' fans were good. Regardless of whether anyone else has or would do the same in such a situation, and I saw no reason to try and not give them any credit for it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I never brought City up, and I await for you applaud their support before I congratulate you for not being Andy@Allderton without the conspiracy....As for Liverpool, well you brought that up, and doing so after I've accused you of being needlessly partisan and ungracious, it doesn't count for too much...It could all just be an attempt to dampen such accusations after the fact..
No, you didn't bring up City. Someone else did, prompting me to say they should be given the benefit of the doubt. I did this before I mentioned Liverpool and before you went off on one about me being unable to give fans of any other club credit. Yet I'm the one being selective in my responses to your posts. Go figure.

From my knowledge of you as a poster, I think my initial assessment is fair. I thought Spurs' fans were good. Regardless of whether anyone else has or would do the same in such a situation, and I saw no reason to try and not give them any credit for it.
So your initial assessment was based on the person who made the posts, rather than the content of their posts? Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Stretch

It was a great atmosphere and if you were oblivious to the score and couldn't see the game but just hear the atmosphere, then you would've sworn Spurs was winning by a mile.

Mockney

No, you didn't bring up City. Someone else did, prompting me to say they should be given the benefit of the doubt. I did this before I mentioned Liverpool and before you went off on one about me being unable to give fans of any other club credit. Yet I'm the one being selective in my responses to your posts. Go figure.

So your initial assessment was based on the person who made the posts, rather than the content of their posts? Yeah, I'd agree with that.
Reputations combined with posts are often used give a bigger, supposedly more accurate picture...See Scholsey, Brad, Boss, me on England etc etc etc

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think we're all guilty of reacting to a post based upon who's made it, rather than the actual content. Which is why there was at least some merit in Nani Nana's loony suggestion about completely anonymous posting. Each individual post/thread really should be taken on it's own merit.

I've been making an effort to try to do that but, if I'm honest, I'm not doing a great job of it.

Mockney

That would probably erase a fair bit of banter though tbf.....or, at worst, turn this place into /b/...gimp masks and all.

Plus I enjoy arguing with you Pizzle :smirk:

Laphroaig

Nice performance, golden muppets, although it dragged on a bit before you got to the kissing and making up bit. I'm sure Boss is happy though, it was a bit like when Wenger or SAF say something daft to take the focus away from the team's poor performance.

Mockney

My entire agenda on this board is to make Boss look good....I voted him best newbie the year I won after all.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
One of them had a great time over in Madrid -

Racist hats abound though, sadly.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Yeah, well done Spurs fans. Y'know for supporting their team. Novel idea indeed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's their first season in the Champion's League. There's not a set of fans in the country who would boo their team off in the final CL game in that scenario.

As for praising them for not turning on Crouch. Wtf?

What a bizarre idea for a thread.
Totally agree. Spurs just playing real in the cl quarters is a dream match for them to simply be a part of. Of course the support will be frenzied. Nothing really to write home about or start a thread.

And I can't imagine why they would turn in crouch.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
They were incredible.They made the match worth watching just for the atmosphere
Indeed, Madrid players have never experienced anything like it back at home and they might be confused given the scoreline, but that's the beauty of English football.

It's why so many different players talk about the atmosphere when moving to this League.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
It was a great atmosphere and if you were oblivious to the score and couldn't see the game but just hear the atmosphere, then you would've sworn Spurs was winning by a mile.
Exactly, I thought it was worth commenting on in my opinion but I've offended quite a few people by doing so.

Oh well, can't please everybody.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Of course they would stay to the end, it's not like they are going to get any CL football next season. They enjoyed it while they still could.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Exactly, I thought it was worth commenting on in my opinion but I've offended quite a few people by doing so.

Oh well, can't please everybody.
Not offended, baffled.

I'm surprised you expected anything different. Most teams that have half decent support would have gotten that kind of support on the night given the same scenario.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Wasn't Crouch booed by a pocket of Spurs fans at the weekend anyway? A Spurs fan on my Twitter feed was bemoaning it.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Can't really remember their first ever CL campaigns. I'm fairly sure their fans will have enjoyed them right the way to the end though.
I recall the loss to Benfica when the atmosphere in Highbury was pretty good. I'm sure the Wembley games were cracking too.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yep, was always a shit idea that had money rather than sense behind it. I watched the games on the telly as I was in Oz so didn't know what the atmosphere was like.

I'm with Boss, and the abuse really isn't necessary.

Spurs fans were a credit to their club and English football. Of course we've seen it many times before but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging some fantastic support whenever you see it. It would have been easy for them to sit there in stunned silence when their comeback never materialised. At least they had the class to show their players how much they appreciated their effort. I think they've had a great debut campaign and the tournament would definitely be a poorer place next year if Man City qualify instead.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Pogue in inability to be gracious or give credit when not talking about Manchester United shocker.
Agree. The old man does seem very grumpy these days!

I agree with the OP. I was amazed at the atmosphere and buzz generated by White Hart Lane in what was effectively a dead rubber.

Great journey for the Spurs. Did the PL proud as did their fans. Good on them.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One of them had a great time over in Madrid -

Racist hats abound though, sadly.
Sad as I am but that was vaguely amusing. Even more nuts is that this chap went to the trouble of putting it all together!

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Well done Spurs? While we are at it shall we make a thread for Chelsea, Milan etc

Spurs get on my tits, more so than Arsenal I must say.