We're not watching SAF's classical playing style.

wr8_utd

:'(
Yes we will have to wait till february to see that great team again but I think the midfield has coped well without those players... we are top of the league.
Oh yes we have coped very well. To be top of the league despite missing the players we have and the Rooney controversy and our strangely poor performances is extraordinary. The league is there for the taking if we can step up a few gears and get our midfield working again.

hungrywing

Alex wants 1 more Champion's League before he retires and he knows that this style of play - absorbing opponents pressure and closing games off - is his best bet of doing that.

I think he's using PL games to practice this tactic and to instill this ethos into the younger/newer players.

Yes, we are missing key personnel, but even still it's often obvious that the team has been instructed to slow the pace and focus more on measured, patient build up play. And I'm referring to HOME games again lower league opposition here!

To be honest, I think Alex has earned the right to deny us a little excitement in order to fulfill one of his remaining ambitions. I mean, we have after all had the honour of being United fans through a truly golden era over the last 15 years.
I've wondered about this as well. And I think it's a good explanation for the thing's we're seeing re the OP. But who knows.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I said pretty much the same thing in the matchday thread yesterday and got ripped to pieces for it.

I will once again reiterate, our playing style has most definitely changed and for the worst this season.

I cannot, in over 20 years of supporting the club, remember a more boring approach to football from the team.

The players need a kick up the fecking arse. We don't seem to come to life until the 85 minute Mark.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
just too many players off form at the same time it seems. We may be joint top but this has been the most frustrating season for me in a long while.

..and we seem to play better, the second half of the season 'normally' because we have a stronger squad than most.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I must say I agree. Our build up play and movement is so slow and labored. Its easy for the teams to get men behind the ball. Its worked a treat for us in Europe but against teams in the PL at home I wish we'd go for the jugular. Then we inevitably concede a goal and suddenly a switch turns on and we go for attack again.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
No creative force from midfield that can drive attacks forward plain and simple. Our playing style changed instantly since Ronaldo left/ Think of the ECL Semi second leg against Arsenal and look at us now.
We have been pretty poor this season because Rooney who seemed to have replaced Ronaldo last season has been rubbish this season so far.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Saying that I think some of the younger players we brought in like Hernandez, Obertan and Bebe are fecking whippets and with the right development and alongside a more mature Nani would skin many teams on the counter attack.

Denis' cuff

I said pretty much the same thing in the matchday thread yesterday and got ripped to pieces for it.

I will once again reiterate, our playing style has most definitely changed and for the worst this season.

I cannot, in over 20 years of supporting the club, remember a more boring approach to football from the team.

The players need a kick up the fecking arse. We don't seem to come to life until the 85 minute Gareth.
fixed

Dyslexic Untied

The problem is in midfield.

We have a solid midfield in the likes of Carrick, Park, Fletcher, but lacking in something special. We do need a creative player in the midfield, someone who stands out head and shoulders above the rest. A player who is the first person on the teamsheet.

That sounds very muppet like, but I think it is what we need. Carrick, though I have always been a fan, has evolved into someone you want as a squad player, but should not start for United in every game. I have taken a long time to decide that, cause he still has those great games. But he does it too seldom, IMO.

buckooo1978

The players need a kick up the fecking arse. We don't seem to come to life until the 85 minute Mark.
how has our playing style changed then?

I disagree that a playing style has changed - we are still trying to play good passing football and break with pace when we have the opportunity - not sure if you remember but VDS throw to Nani and Hernandez almost scoring springs to mind - or Rooney vs Arsenal last season

the difference this year is definately the quality of the players at the club coupled with the injuries to valencia, giggs and rooney

our passing in some games has been abysmal, we have been dominated for long periods by every team we've played away (apart from city and bursaspor), wigan dominated us at home yesterday for periods of the first half

there are several issues which will need resolved in the summer

- carrick - after a few games where he was decent he has been shite again and almost non-existant in games - his influence is poor

- hargreaves and anderson - big question marks over injuries - felt anderson had to start showing some signs but not even sure where he is...

-park - great worker and good squad player but creativity once in a while

-nani - hopefully he can become a bit more consistant

-berbatov - after a bright start is now the player he was the last two seasons

-gibson - is he united quality?

at a club like United we shouldnt have to rely on older players like scholes/giggs or younger ones either

they should be used as squad players to support the first team - the problem is our first team, particularly in midfield isn't good enough - plain and simple

looking at arsenal's football yesterday with players like arshavin, fabregas and nasri linking up you can't help be jealous

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hallmark of SAF's teams over the last couple of decades has been lightening counter attacks. The opposition dared venture out unless they went behind and had to chase the game, at which point United were at their devastating best. These days we mostly manage to control and dominate yet our play is laboured.

- has SAF changed his game plan?

- players missing through injury or off form (particularly Valencia and Rooney)

- we don't have the personnel?

Your thoughts?
I think its a mixture of players like hernandez, obertan, macheda still in the process of developing an understanding with the others as well as a bit of of a lack of creativity and flair. Were too reliant on nani to create something for us. The guy who makes our midfield look good is 35. I think we will be a team with more grit than class this season. But that's not to say we won't get better than we are right now as the season wears on. We will.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The problem is in midfield.

We have a solid midfield in the likes of Carrick, Park, Fletcher, but lacking in something special. We do need a creative player in the midfield, someone who stands out head and shoulders above the rest. A player who is the first person on the teamsheet.

That sounds very muppet like, but I think it is what we need. Carrick, though I have always been a fan, has evolved into someone you want as a squad player, but should not start for United in every game. I have taken a long time to decide that, cause he still has those great games. But he does it too seldom, IMO.
Carrick is either developing into a different player and becoming more cautious as he ages, or has lost confidence in his once fantastic passing range.

buckooo1978

Carrick is either developing into a different player and becoming more cautious as he ages, or has lost confidence in his once fantastic passing range.
most likely the latter

carrick's confidence problems have been an issue in the past

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
With Carrick, I think its a matter of 2 things; his lack of confidence at the moment, and the lack of an influential midfielder beside him.

I've always maintained that Carrick at his peak was when there was Paul Scholes beside him to take control of the midfield and dictate our play, leaving Carrick to do his own thing in his own quiet way.

Now that Scholes is playing less, Carrick has the responsibility of being our playmaker; the player who will dictate our tempo and play and he doesn't seem like he's able to do it. He's basically shying away from responsibility. He's not a leader or a playmaker, he needs someone beside him to do all that for him while he quietly does his own thing.

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
The best way to judge how good we have been this year is count the number of times the crowd at Old Trafford has been made to stand up during games.

I assure you I can't remember many, if any occasion this has happened this season.
Spot on. Yesterday there was a moment about an hour in when we broke out and the crowd really roared. I noticed it because it hadn't happened all game.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Evra on MUTV

"We are Manchester United and we need to be more aggressive and score more goals - and to bring back the way United play always."
My thoughts exactly Patrice.

WireRed

With Carrick, I think its a matter of 2 things; his lack of confidence at the moment, and the lack of an influential midfielder beside him.

I've always maintained that Carrick at his peak was when there was Paul Scholes beside him to take control of the midfield and dictate our play, leaving Carrick to do his own thing in his own quiet way.

Now that Scholes is playing less, Carrick has the responsibility of being our playmaker; the player who will dictate our tempo and play and he doesn't seem like he's able to do it. He's basically shying away from responsibility. He's not a leader or a playmaker, he needs someone beside him to do all that for him while he quietly does his own thing.
Which is what exactly? Act as a sieve rather than shield in protecting our defence? Or being Scholes-lite?

You make it sound like he needs someone to hold his hand to make a contribution.

Laphroaig

i'm surprised ( but delighted of course ) at our position, our football has been - and i hate to say this - decidedly pedestrian
That's the right word. Yesterday, and other games, that is exactly what we've been. Being off form and such is alright, although also annoying, but at times this season we have seemed determined to stroll lazily through the games. Luckily it has worked more often than not, but it is an odd sight. I miss Valencia.

WireRed

He needs a midfield partner that suits his game. As do all central midfielders.

Hardly needing his hand held...
Any player worth his salt should be able to perform for a large portion of games rather than going AWOL for 18 months as Carrick has done, regardless of who he's played/playing alongside.

Carrick of 2006-2009 was a fine player whether it be with Scholes, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher or whoever. The modern day Carrick is a waste of space who's playing like one floppy cock.

EricaNo7

That's the right word. Yesterday, and other games, that is exactly what we've been. Being off form and such is alright, although also annoying, but at times this season we have seemed determined to stroll lazily through the games. Luckily it has worked more often than not, but it is an odd sight. I miss Valencia.
he has been a huge miss, imo.

i wonder why Fergie didn't think about Van der Vaart?

Spoony

The People's President
he has been a huge miss, imo.

i wonder why Fergie didn't think about Van der Vaart?
Because he wasn't all that. I'm not sure Fergie could stomach such an ill disciplined player. We need a CM like Ozil, Fabergas or Sneijder not a VDV type.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I bet even Fergie's gobsmacked that we're level on points with Chelsea. As for our playing style, we've definitely missed Valencia and Rooney, that being said...we weren't all that special when those to were playing regularly. And yeah, we're dull as feck to watch. This isn't Manchester United.
. Couldn't agree with the bolded part more.

wr8_utd

The one thing that worried me yesterday was that we played against 9 men for 35 mins and we only looked like scoring for around 7-10 mins of that. Right at the end we played more like United with Scholes bringing wingers into play and Rafael and Nani putting in great crosses.

Until the 80-85th min or so we rarely looked like scoring. Wigan, at OT, were far more threatening than we were in the first half :eek:

Anyway I think we need to stop playing 1 striker vs bottom half teams at home. It can't really help our performances when we play Berba or Kiko alone up front, neither of whom are suited for that particular role.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
No personnel for that. Tevez, Ronaldo, and Rooney, with Carrick and Scholes in top form were able to spray around passes and move like no other team in the world. Yorke and Cole had telepathic abilities, Giggs was a speed demon with dribbling skills to boot, Becks had vision and crossing, Scholes and Keane in their prime etc

Now you have Hernandez-not there yet, but will be, he has great speed. Berba, not that type of player, Rooney-off form, Nani-holds the ball up, doesn't make right decisions, Park-average counter attacker, no dribble, bit slow, Scholes - no legs, Carrick- off form.

Fergies simply can't play like that. That's why we induce a sleeping atmosphere
Jesus, a little negative there.

Alex

On current form, United don't have good enough players to play flashy football, however are defense and GK are healthy so if we want to actually compete for the League or the CL we will have to play reserved and hold onto the ball to win matches 1-0. I wish we could play better and I have no doubt we will once Rooney hits form, but let's be honest the squad is full of overpaid, underperforming players and that is not going to change anytime soon, that is why there does need to be a summer clearout. These players that will be sold, arent Shit players by any means, but they either arent good enough or arent performing well enough to deserve to wear the shirt.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
On current form, United don't have good enough players to play flashy football, however are defense and GK are healthy so if we want to actually compete for the League or the CL we will have to play reserved and hold onto the ball to win matches 1-0. I wish we could play better and I have no doubt we will once Rooney hits form, but let's be honest the squad is full of overpaid, underperforming players and that is not going to change anytime soon, that is why there does need to be a summer clearout. These players that will be sold, arent Shit players by any means, but they either arent good enough or arent performing well enough to deserve to wear the shirt.
Good post mate.

wr8_utd

:nono:

We're talking bout United, not Shitty.

Laphroaig

The one thing that worried me yesterday was that we played against 9 men for 35 mins and we only looked like scoring for around 7-10 mins of that. Right at the end we played more like United with Scholes bringing wingers into play and Rafael and Nani putting in great crosses.
Aye, and that's crucial. Scholes has started something like two of our last ten games. We're a different beast when he is pulling the strings. What a marvellous player he still is, at the age of 60. Best midfielder in the league.

WireRed

Aye, and that's crucial. Scholes has started something like two of our last ten games. We're a different beast when he is pulling the strings. What a marvellous player he still is, at the age of 60. Best midfielder in the league.
This is true, but it's also a massive worry. We are so reliant on him to pull the strings and probe for the defence splitting ball, it's actually quite pathetic.

He's a 36 year old and yet he's still essential to our fluidity and potential to break stubborn opposition down. As good as he is and has been, it's a sad reflection of where our other CM's are at right now.

By the way, you're last sentence isn't the case. 7 years ago maybe, not now. He's more vulnerable to being harrassed out of a game than ever before, Liverpool, Fulham, and Chelsea to name but a few have shown what pressing him and denying space can do to his influence on a game, which then pretty much shuts us down aswell.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No personnel for that. Tevez, Ronaldo, and Rooney, with Carrick and Scholes in top form were able to spray around passes and move like no other team in the world. Yorke and Cole had telepathic abilities, Giggs was a speed demon with dribbling skills to boot, Becks had vision and crossing, Scholes and Keane in their prime etc

Now you have Hernandez-not there yet, but will be, he has great speed. Berba, not that type of player, Rooney-off form, Nani-holds the ball up, doesn't make right decisions, Park-average counter attacker, no dribble, bit slow, Scholes - no legs, Carrick- off form.

Fergies simply can't play like that. That's why we induce a sleeping atmosphere
Park's been more involved than anyone in our best counter-attacks (or simply counter-attack goals) over the past 3 years or so. The games against Arsenal are hailed as great display's of counter-attacking and Park is involved in so many of the goals.

TonyMontana

Any player worth his salt should be able to perform for a large portion of games rather than going AWOL for 18 months as Carrick has done, regardless of who he's played/playing alongside.

Carrick of 2006-2009 was a fine player whether it be with Scholes, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher or whoever. The modern day Carrick is a waste of space who's playing like one floppy cock.
Apparently Diego Maradona, Pele and Zidane never had a bad spell in their carrers.