We're trialling a new newbie system

Fingeredmouse

Perhaps. How would you enforce that rule though?
Impossible to be sure, but a proxy might be possible, like:
1. Average over .5 emoticons per post
2. Mention Drake
3. Know what "dabbing" is
=>80% chance of being 13
Therefore: autoban

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
The Pogba thread is absolutely horrific, but it is not primarily driven by newbies. They have merely contributed to the heady mix of circular arguments, weak "jokes", stupid questions to which the answers are either obvious or impossible to answer, increasingly futile attempts by mods to control the riot, clever meta observations on the thread and quips about muppets and masturbation. Yes, they've probably increased the % of puerile and illiterate teenage wailing spurted therein, but it's experienced posters who are the driving force of the productionised and metronomic posting of bollocks and are certainly the primary proud exponents of "let's get to 10000 posts" (edit: it's a 1000 pages isn't it? Who cares) feckwittery.
I try not to read too much in that thread but does just seem like the same pointless comments just to get to the 1000 page mark, I wish a mod would just close it or delete a huge chunk of it

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The Pogba thread is absolutely horrific, but it is not primarily driven by newbies. They have merely contributed to the heady mix of circular arguments, weak "jokes", stupid questions to which the answers are either obvious or impossible to answer, increasingly futile attempts by mods to control the riot, clever meta observations on the thread and quips about muppets and masturbation. Yes, they've probably increased the % of puerile and illiterate teenage wailing spurted therein, but it's experienced posters who are the driving force of the productionised and metronomic posting of bollocks and are certainly the primary proud exponents of "let's get to 10000 posts" (edit: it's a 1000 pages isn't it? Who cares) feckwittery.
For sure. A lot of the deleted posts have been by mains members who've been around for a few years (some for over a decade) and should know better. Newbies see it and think it's okay, and so quality goes down further.

Xeno

Scrap the whole caste nonsense and just ban the shit posters. Or have a reverse like system. 5 admin 'dislikes' and you're gone.

The noobs is shite because everyone posts tryhard rubbish to get likes, the activity levels are crap so half the threads are nonsense. Maybe let mains posters post in noobs to generate better threads if you won't do away with it.

edit: in before "well you'd be banned".

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think scrapping the newbie system would be the kiss of death for the 'community spirit' the caf has become loved for by many.

The noobs is shite because everyone posts tryhard rubbish to get likes, the activity levels are crap so half the threads are nonsense. Maybe let mains posters post in noobs to generate better threads if you won't do away with it.
Actually think that could work to an extent. What if mains, or some of the mains (over a certain amount of posts?) were allowed to post 5 times a day down there (or unlimited) but not create threads? It'd alleviate constant try-hard posting and possibly make it easier to spot posters that would benefit the mains community?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Actually think that could work to an extent. What if mains, or some of the mains (over a certain amount of posts?) were allowed to post 5 times a day down there (or unlimited) but not create threads? It'd alleviate constant try-hard posting and possibly make it easier to spot posters that would benefit the mains community?
Was discussed a while back, iirc. Seemed like a good idea to me - but the counter argument made at the time was also sound: In practice this could easily mean nothing more than having presumably good posters make presumably good posts in the newbs rather than in the mains, which is problematic for obvious reasons - and meanwhile the actual impact of such an experiment on the quality of newbie posting habits might be hard to determine, not least short-term.

As for the newbie system as such, I'm in favour of it - very much so. Most sites I visit regularly do not have such a system - and the only ones that aren't far worse than the Caf in terms of post quality are those with very few members (making them easy to moderate).

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Talking with some folks on a different forum, they are complaining that Red Café (especially in the newbie section) is difficult to move around in, not clear where to go for football discussion, generally confusing. It has been a while since I was down in the newbie's but I don't remember having that problem. Out of curiosity and in an attempt to help, could someone post a few screen shots of the newbie area, like the forum section list, maybe a page from each section so I can see if I can help them out.

It is possible they are just idiots, but who knows.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
Talking with some folks on a different forum, they are complaining that Red Café (especially in the newbie section) is difficult to move around in, not clear where to go for football discussion, generally confusing. It has been a while since I was down in the newbie's but I don't remember having that problem. Out of curiosity and in an attempt to help, could someone post a few screen shots of the newbie area, like the forum section list, maybe a page from each section so I can see if I can help them out.

It is possible they are just idiots, but who knows.
I don't really remember 'discussion' in the newbie section, what you get are people attempting to post thoughtful individual posts to get likes, but not really two-way discussion. These people just need to change their expectations a bit about the newbie forum and treat it for what it is...it should be possible to get promoted in 100 posts if you really try, just don't expect a normal forum experience whilst doing that.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't really remember 'discussion' in the newbie section, what you get are people attempting to post thoughtful individual posts to get likes, but not really two-way discussion. These people just need to change their expectations a bit about the newbie forum and treat it for what it is...it should be possible to get promoted in 100 posts if you really try, just don't expect a normal forum experience whilst doing that.
Yep. A few have been promoted in the past week with 100 or fewer posts.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Newbies should be treat as a different forum really. You can expect to be there for a good few months if you're not that active. Just pick the right discussions to get involved in and post decent stuff and you will get noticed. There's no rush to leave there really as its pretty decent in its own right if i remember. Not that i would want to go back there :lol:

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
Newbies should be treat as a different forum really. You can expect to be there for a good few months if you're not that active. Just pick the right discussions to get involved in and post decent stuff and you will get noticed. There's no rush to leave there really as its pretty decent in its own right if i remember. Not that i would want to go back there :lol:
Send all the baldies back down.

They are all proper wastemen. :wenger:

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
This is definitely true to a certain extent, but standalone posts by themselves aren't going to get people promoted. A lot of scouts look in detail at how well posters can deal with criticism in their replies, etc.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
When clowns with 1 like are allowed to post in the mains...

We should do this again...

GK: Split
Defense: City
Midfield: City
Attack: City
Manager: City
Youtube page: City
Really? Not considering age, why is DDG better than Bravo exactly? Because United allowed more goals than City or the fact United has lost 3 straight games.

Next 3 out of 4 games: Leicester City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Who knows, Stoke might get their first win

Don't worry guys, we will revisit this after the Chelsea game.

Varun

Staff
When clowns with 1 like are allowed to post in the mains...
The posts have been noticed and disliked by the scouts. If this is the level of quality he continues to bring to the forum, he'll be gone.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The posts have been noticed and disliked by the scouts. If this is the level of quality he continues to bring to the forum, he'll be gone.
Just look at his contributions to the FC Bayern thread. Guy's a wum wonder.

Varun

Staff
You just have to look at the quality of posts from the mains posters atm to realise that newbies aren't the reason for the low quality. If we were as harsh on mains guys as we're on newbies in terms of QC, we'd lose a lot of posters. Unfortunately, a bad run of results always results in this mess. Mains and newbies alike.