g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

We're trialling a new newbie system

ChaddyP

im all for this. been on this site 4 years now but gave up posting and trying to get promoted for 3 years. This system seems much more reasonable

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Speaking as a recent promotion, I'd probably agree a few more posts in the mains would be welcome early.

That being said, there had to be a number picked and at least you get a chance to post in the mains much earlier in the process. I'd imagine this would help really good newbies to noticed early on too.

A significant step on I think as there's no doubt promotion felt something of a slog. Only one worry, do we not think this may cause even less contribution to the newbie forum? I.e. If a good point is to he made then they'll want to make it in the mains.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
That sounds good on behalf of the newbie who wants to join the discussions, but how much do we (meaning the whole redcafe community) want an unending supply of new users? Surely there's a point where the site could get too big?
Flipside is we've gradually built up enough Liga watchers now to have reasonable coverage of Spanish football. Same with German football. It would be great to have the same kind of mini-communities build up around other topics.

Obviously no one wants that to come at the expense of ruining the United forum or the overall feel of the place which is why we've got to keep some kind of quality control in place.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Speaking as a recent promotion, I'd probably agree a few more posts in the mains would be welcome early.

That being said, there had to be a number picked and at least you get a chance to post in the mains much earlier in the process. I'd imagine this would help really good newbies to noticed early on too.

A significant step on I think as there's no doubt promotion felt something of a slog. Only one worry, do we not think this may cause even less contribution to the newbie forum? I.e. If a good point is to he made then they'll want to make it in the mains.
When got promoted in mid 2013 there was poster that went up at the same time who'd been in the Newbie forum 9 years.

Varun

Staff
I stopped talking when it got into technical stuff...about a minute in.
The caf has Damobot. You guys should have been given the day off while he came up with the perfect system.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
I imagine the first like for a newbie would be stringent. If so, it would make sense to increase post limit based on the likes. If it is to also encourage activity in newbie forums as well, then fair enough.

edit:On second thoughts, there could be a lot of newbies posting. So that's something to ponder.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
It seems a tad harsh that they lose their newbie access rights before getting full access to the mains. They might get stuck in a limbo, forever.
Yeah, that may happen. Again, hopefully the trial will help determine if that needs tweaking.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Flipside is we've gradually built up enough Liga watchers now to have reasonable coverage of Spanish football. Same with German football. It would be great to have the same kind of mini-communities build up around other topics.
That's a good point.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Good to see that you folks are trying hard to improve on this.

I thought last year was terrible in terms of quality newbies promoted, it seems like pretty much everyone who posted regulary in newbies was promoted even if that poster was posting shite most of the time, I thought you lot were just lazy and didn't care anymore about that.

Scrumpet

There are no words
It would be a bit annoying to have 8 or 9 likes with no access to any general forum, but I guess they most likely won't be stuck on that for long.

crimsonife

Not understanding why at 8 likes the right to post in the newbies is removed. Is it to get them used to posting in the mains?

VanGaalEra

That's a good idea, I've always thought people would just stop posting as opposed to doing their best to try and get 10 likes.

Ease their way up and it makes them want more and more each time (if they like posting in the mains) which in turn keeps them active in the newbs as opposed to just leaving the site.

gormless

5 posts surely limits discussion. What if they post something and somebody replies, they then have to wait a day?

Could there not be a system where if they are quoted they have additional right of reply to whoever quoted them?

Alias
Sounds like a very well thought-out system Niall. It's great to see the caf being proactive in encouraging newbies to integrate themselves more into the community and it's culture.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What's the reaction in the Newbs to this?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
5 posts surely limits discussion. What if they post something and somebody replies, they then have to wait a day?

Could there not be a system where if they are quoted they have additional right of reply to whoever quoted them?
Maybe, for now we're gonna see how this works.

GloryHunter07

This seems like a good move provided it doesn't create too much work for the modmins

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Should be a one in, one out system. Each week the worst main's poster battles the best newbie for full member status.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Only took about a month and a half of active posting to get here, these neos are feeble.

Is it possible to limit posting to 5 threads per day rather than simply 5 posts per day? That removes the problem of getting caught out replying to people in a single thread.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I don't see what the problem was, the rules were explained well, and I would put a bit of thought and time into my posts within the newbs and I was promoted quite quickly and the newbies really do test your patience most of them were trolls and idiots and the system encouraged me to post proper to get the hell out! I thought the original system was good because of this!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I don't see what the problem was, the rules were explained well, and I would put a bit of thought and time into my posts within the newbs and I was promoted quite quickly and the newbies really do test your patience most of them were trolls and idiots and the system encouraged me to post proper to get the hell out! I thought the original system was good because of this!
Well, I think it works for some people, but not for others. The survey which Niall ran recently showed that large numbers of people join up and never post. That's many potentially good posters lost to the forum, in effect.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
From someone who never posts on the Man Utd forum I think it will be a good incentive for Newbies, after all it is what they signed up for at the time. I'd wonder how much of a taste they'll be able to enjoy with how fast your threads move on here but it has to be an improvement and looking for change is sometimes best done with small steps!

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I found the old system alright to be honest, it really didn't take alot to get promoted. Think i had 100 posts and i knew pretty much every time i wrote a proper detailed post it had a good chance of getting a like. But this new system sounds good too. Its down to the poster to want to get mains access and to prove they can post properly so im not sure how much of a massive difference it will make but hope it does!

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Good to see that you folks are trying hard to improve on this.

I thought last year was terrible in terms of quality newbies promoted, it seems like pretty much everyone who posted regulary in newbies was promoted even if that poster was posting shite most of the time, I thought you lot were just lazy and didn't care anymore about that.
Believe me, the least you can say about the people is that they are lazy. Scouting is a very time consuming process. When I did for about two months it ate up all my (limited) time on here to the point where I basically did not post anymore and had to ultimatively step down again.

I welcome that change, because I personally see only upsides in it. It brings new blood and potentially even more diversity in the mains, makes the transfer smoother and helps newbies get used to the mains. It also lifts some load off of the scouts. Now the newbies get the chance to "present" themselves and can show if they fit in or not. The whole promotion system is not about finding the tactical geniuses or eloquent poets. Its about if the new guys can behave themselves and carry a discussion. Thats all there is to it.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Believe me, the least you can say about the people is that they are lazy. Scouting is a very time consuming process. When I did for about two months it ate up all my (limited) time on here to the point where I basically did not post anymore and had to ultimatively step down again.

I welcome that change, because I personally see only upsides in it. It brings new blood and potentially even more diversity in the mains, makes the transfer smoother and helps newbies get used to the mains. It also lifts some load off of the scouts. Now the newbies get the chance to "present" themselves and can show if they fit in or not. The whole promotion system is not about finding the tactical geniuses or eloquent poets. Its about if the new guys can behave themselves and carry a discussion. Thats all there is to it.
Except for @niMic. He really is lazy.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Good initiative although I feel restricting no. of posts to 5 or 10 is somewhat less. If someone is engaging in discussion on a topic, 5 posts are made just like that, in no time.

Newbies will then be forced to wait & make long posts to put forward all their points and if quoted by multiple people, will have to wait and respond everyone together so that they don't exceed post limit. Also I am sure many of us just move on if came across a very long post.

Changing 5-10-20 in respective category above to 10-15-20 should provide them better chance to put forward their views.
I was going to say exactly the same thing. It really would be a pain if they got stuck in a really interesting debate and then couldn't reply. Aside from that, I think it's an excellent idea. Great work clever mods and admins and @brewlio.