We're trialling a new newbie system

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
I honestly don't think we miss many good posts these days, there are scouts on the newbie forums all the time, with the modmins.

edit - just thought you might not realise that scouts give likes and promote people these days. It wasn't always like that, I know.
Well no wonder newbies with very few posts make it up these days. Don't think opening newbs to mains members is a good idea but like I said if you people need any help, count me in. :)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Fair do's! If only 1% are coming through then I guess there must be a problem to the current system.
It's not that no one's being promoted, you can see in the newbie intro thread in the general that promotions are happening. It's just that a lot of the people we're promoting now joined in previous years and when you look at their posting history, it looks like a lot of those gave up posting for months or years before deciding to restart posting and get promoted.

So we know that some good posters get put off for a while, but we think that probably means that we lose some other potentially good posters completely.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I've always felt that the newbie system is like the pit in Dark Knight Rises. Designed to keep people in rather than let them go up, up and away.

I understand why it is in place but I don't like it much. These changes are welcome. If mods need any help with scouting, etc I'd be glad to assist. I'm sure other Caf members would do the same too. If you guys are overworked I guess it's time to expand the scouting network a bit.
Explains why most of the newer posters sound like 10 year old girls.
Oh yeah I just went there. #burn

Manny

Grammar Police
I honestly don't think we miss many good posts these days, there are scouts on the newbie forums all the time, with the modmins.

edit - just thought you might not realise that scouts give likes and promote people these days. It wasn't always like that, I know.
Does that means all the good posters have already been promoted to the mains...

Might be time to close the newbs down completely. :lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Great decision, lot of people I know never post here because the promotion system seems very tough. I actually realized after posting in the newbs that it's not that hard to be honest but it definitely scares a lot of people away.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's really not easy to post in the newbies, the results of that survey are spot *on. When registering most probably don't even realise there is a newbie system. I think the filtering aspect of it is essential, but it's probably about striking a balance between allowing only sensible people to post and not deterring sensible people from leaving due to lack of involvement with the mains, which is what they signed up for.

Last edited:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Imagine being trapped in the FF after a loss. Now that's abusing newbies.

Question: Has the amount of people signing up been affected by making the general private?

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Seems strange that after 8 likes they can't go in newbie forums....they might be stuck on 8 for a while.

How does one become a scout? Can i be one :)

Manny

Grammar Police
Can we have a rating or score system for the idiots who ruin the game day threads? like 5 thumbs down and they are out of the thread?
How about 5 thumbs down and they loose a like? :devil:

jeff_goldblum

Sounds great. Seems fair that they get a chance to prove themselves in the big leagues rather than being stuck in the newbs for months or years. I was pretty lucky and made a couple of posts a mod liked and got fast-tracked, but I can imagine it being very frustrating to good posters who don't get noticed for whatever reason.

Someone

Something
This is a positive change, the old system when i signed up in 2007 was so frustrating, i remember i needed like 150 points and i gave up around 132 and stopped posting altogether, few years later i get a message i'm being promoted, and yes back then it certainly felt like you needed to write an essay to get points.

But i'm afraid only 5 posts will deter people from posting, it's like worrying about your low internet quota, specially when they feel they're being judged by everyone else.

I can imagine their line of thinking, do i post in the rafael thread? no feck it it's not worth it, do i post in the we're worried threads? they'll probably think i'm a muppet, do i post in the unpopular opinion thread? now isn't the time to be unpopular. Just make it 10 or 20 posts, it'll even help weed out the bad posters faster.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
How about 5 thumbs down and they loose a like? :devil:
People will be afraid to speak their mind then though,

In the match day thread if we are playing really bad or one player in particular is not performing nobody will dare criticise the team for fear of a thumb down. That's not how it should be.

Anyway on the 5 posts in the mains I dont think that's enough, 10 would be much better to gain judgement on a member. Generally though the new system is good idea.

Alias
This is a positive change, the old system when i signed up in 2007 was so frustrating, i remember i needed like 150 points and i gave up around 132 and stopped posting altogether, few years later i get a message i'm being promoted, and yes back then it certainly felt like you needed to write an essay to get points.

But i'm afraid only 5 posts will deter people from posting, it's like worrying about your low internet quota, specially when they feel they're being judged by everyone else.

I can imagine their line of thinking, do i post in the rafael thread? no feck it it's not worth it, do i post in the we're worried threads? they'll probably think i'm a muppet, do i post in the unpopular opinion thread? now isn't the time to be unpopular. Just make it 10 or 20 posts, it'll even help weed out the bad posters faster.
Some excellent points made here, @Someone :)

Kag

Great idea. It'll probably reduce the essay writing and allow for some quick, flowing debate. I remember the newbs could quickly turn into a dick swinging contest over who could fit the most syllables into a sentence.

Van Gaalacticos

I've had a bit of 'time off' from the forum during the summer since my promotion in preparation for the hard and gruelling season ahead but feel it's easy enough to get likes in the newbs if you are posting regularly and engaging in conversation with the other posters. I feel we might be seeing some strange posts coming up soon as the main problem with the newbies is its lack of conversation and abundance of posts that are far more complex than needed just trying to grab attention like a series of threads in the newbs not long before I made it to the big time about how to restructure every football competition ever played - about 10 threads of ridiculous theories each as peculiar as the last just in an attempt to gain attention.

I think this will be really fun being honest.

To throw in my two cents...I always thought 10 likes was a bit extreme, maybe after 4 likes I'd say you've pretty much determined they are genuine and not a WUM and maybe should be promoted and further moderated to generate more interest in the newbs. When you first sign up and see newbie posters with over 1000 posts or someone who joined ages ago when you have 0 posts I can understand why people don't bother...I nearly didn't because it can seem you may be there for years and years. Some other people just don't like the fact that their opinions and personality needs to be verified by others which is also understandable.

Moby

Dick
I think 5 likes should be enough for promotion. Good enough evidence that the poster is not a complete idiot/spammer/whatever.

Moby

Dick
Great idea. It'll probably reduce the essay writing and allow for some quick, flowing debate. I remember the newbs could quickly turn into a dick swinging contest over who could fit the most syllables into a sentence.
That is not how I remember the newbies at all.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
People will be afraid to speak their mind then though,

In the match day thread if we are playing really bad or one player in particular is not performing nobody will dare criticise the team for fear of a thumb down. That's not how it should be.

Anyway on the 5 posts in the mains I dont think that's enough, 10 would be much better to gain judgement on a member. Generally though the new system is good idea.
Some people shouldnt speak at all. Go read the PSG game thread and that was a pre season game. It has to be a consensus and other posters can only vote once.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I remember 90% of threads being what you could term textbook knee-jerk hysteria... but enough about the mains.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Some other people just don't like the fact that their opinions and personality needs to be verified by others which is also understandable.
It's usually not what they say (certainly in terms of their views about football), as we always acknowledge different opinions. I give likes to loads of posts which I don't personally agree with and it would be dull if we were all saying the same thing.

The important thing is how they say it and whether they can debate with someone else without getting too worked-up.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I just like the fact that you are moving towards a system which allows more people to get in and I think you can always control them in the mains with bans etc. The idea of the newbies should be more about preventing unwanted spam rather than almost an exam that you have to clear.

Sad Chris

It seems a tad harsh that they lose their newbie access rights before getting full access to the mains. They might get stuck in a limbo, forever.
Real hell would be an eternal state of limbo at RAWK. They'd write poetry about the lost souls of their loved ones.

Come to think of it, they're already all stuck between two worlds as it is: their past glory and their "never gonna happen init" future glory. That's Red And White Limbo alright.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Probably just how I approached it! Lots of shite in there, but you could spot the ones 'trying' to get promoted a mile off.
I remember it exactly the same. Fortunately I wasn't there long (cus I'm class at posting and stuff) but there were soooo many essays by newbies trying to impress. Long is not always best (innuendo lol).

P.s. This means the general is still only visible at 10 likes right?

Van Gaalacticos

It's usually not what they say (certainly in terms of their views about football), as we always acknowledge different opinions. I give likes to loads of posts which I don't personally agree with and it would be dull if we were all saying the same thing.

The important thing is how they say it and whether they can debate with someone else without getting too worked-up.
I agree totally with this and I'm pleased it is that way but I just feel at the initial sign up stage where you then realise there is a newbie process to go through some people by nature would never post in a forum where they feel what they have to say needs to be liked by someone else. It was just a point made to try and explain some of the unused accounts tbh.

On the other hand...Thanks very much for the likes in the newbs, they were much appreciated at the time and got me through the dark days but I didn't know if thanking for likes would go down that well - whilst on the subject I would like to extend these thanks to the other like-givers who have thrust this glory upon me.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Haven't read this thread (which I probably should do) but will the newbs be able to get likes for the posts in the mains? I don't think they should, I reckon it'll encourage a load of essay-writing as opposed to posting naturally and interacting with mains posters.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Haven't read this thread (which I probably should do) but will the newbs be able to get likes for the posts in the mains? I don't think they should, I reckon it'll encourage a load of essay-writing as opposed to posting naturally and interacting with mains posters.
Yes they will if they make a good post, but we don't give many likes to over-long posts. They should know that, the modmins have told them often enough in the newbies.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Will this also increase the odds of me finally getting my 11th like? :drool:

How is it possible that someone stayed in the newbs for nine years? Were there fewer scouts and such back in the day, or did they just rarely post?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
It seems a tad harsh that they lose their newbie access rights before getting full access to the mains. They might get stuck in a limbo, forever.
This.

It's incredibly hard to get likes as a newbie. When you're at 8 and only need 2 more likes, it'll seem even harder.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
5 posts a day is a very bad idea IMO. The problem is that they will start replying to some other poster and then in the middle of the discussion he cannot reply anymore cause it has extended his 5 posts per day.

Why not 10-20 posts per day in the football forums after they receive the first like, and then based on other likes they can get access to the other forums?
The majority of the forum survive on 5 posts per day so it's hardly that restrictive. It just means people need to be more considered about what they posts when they first join...and that can only be a good thing in the long run.