Television Westworld | SPOILERS

Amir

Maybe but more likely don't want or can't be bothered to invest that much effort in a TV show. Or just don't like the show. And that is OK.

I watch a variety of stuff that I enjoy for different reasons. I doubt I could watch more than one show at a time that was structured like Westworld.
I was fine with it in season 1. They went overboard in season 2.

kps88

Lost wasn't that hard to follow. They just threw a lot of mysteries at us and made up answers as they went along.

Still too soon to say whether Westworld will do the same. From what I've read and seen so far, they seem to have more of a long term plan.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I agree that it's awfully confusing at times but I think it's fantastic all the same. I agree it's a bit like Lost. We just have to hope that we get decent answers eventually.
Tbh I'm not even sure what the questions are other than the perfunctory "what is it that makes us human?" question raised by countless sci-fi's time and time again.

Sylar

I binge watched the last two eps to catch up and i enjoyed both eps (the latter one moreso).
It took me some time to get into this season (I wasnt looking first thing monday to watch it like I did with the end of last season). But the last few eps make me wanna see the next ones and how it goes. Now im really intrigued.

Havent fully read the thread but:

Im buying into MiB current one being a host- or William has passed but input himself into a body to stay. Otherwise, his arc isnt that great, is it?

I do think the show is much more elevated with ford (well A.Hopkins being around).

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I binge watched the last two eps to catch up and i enjoyed both eps (the latter one moreso).
It took me some time to get into this season (I wasnt looking first thing monday to watch it like I did with the end of last season). But the last few eps make me wanna see the next ones and how it goes. Now im really intrigued.

Havent fully read the thread but:

Im buying into MiB current one being a host- or William has passed but input himself into a body to stay. Otherwise, his arc isnt that great, is it?

I do think the show is much more elevated with ford (well A.Hopkins being around).
Completely agree with this

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A dispute over the parameters of a fantasy is about as pointless as medieval scholastics arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin!

But for the sake of it:

The more advanced the technology the greater the potential control any government can exert on those over whom it claims jurisdiction. The breakdown of central authority was far more likely in Ancient Greece than it is today.

Ford's transformation of a tiny portion of Westworld's landscape was a huge undertaking. A major thread in the story is the necessity for Westworld's original creators to seek outside capital. It was a business venture with limited funds: think of the cost of transforming thousands of square miles!

There's also the matter of climate. By their nature islands have distinctive weather patterns. No part of the interior is far from the coast and from the influence of moisture laden sea breezes. Such places can't duplicate climatic conditions in the interior of continents which may be thousands of miles from the ocean.
Think of other possibilities. It could easily be in a climate controlled dome. Did we really know the extent of their technological capabilities? Has it been stated when this takes place? I don't know. If so is it possible if we extrapolate the current rate of tech advancement?
Just finished season one. Yet to catch up with the second season.

I really enjoy this show, to be honest. By 1x9 I was becoming incredibly frustrated with quite a lot of the deliberate obfuscation and the way it built intrigue by withholding and manipulating important pieces of information, but the way the season one finale logically resolved every plot thread with a couple of neat twists just to tie everything up struck me as good script writing. It's got me excited for the second season anyway.
Prepare for more of the same then. Expect that and you won't be disappointed. Finale is yet to be seen but I'm expecting a lot of unanswered questions at the end of the season. At the same time I think we'll get some satisfying answers.
What about people who don't get it? The show is too smart for them?
Possibly?
Maybe but more likely don't want or can't be bothered to invest that much effort in a TV show. Or just don't like the show. And that is OK.

I watch a variety of stuff that I enjoy for different reasons. I doubt I could watch more than one show at a time that was structured like Westworld.
Nailed it. I was going to post that I think there are people that can't or won't invest the time needed, but you said it much better than I was going to.

Will Absolute

How many seasons do they have planned for this?
You can't really make long term plans on American television. It's been renewed for a third season, but if it drops any further in the ratings..? It's an expensive show.

They really play games with the audience on Westworld. Even the unexpected return of Anthony Hopkins after they more or less said he was out of the show. Gave it a bit of a lift, I thought.

afrocentricity

Well, I'm willing to accept being an idiot (;)) but looking at some of my clever friends who have given up on it in season 2, I'd say the show has a problem because it's leaking viewers... And eventually, new viewers=no show.
That would be a shame. I was joking btw.

kps88

Well, I'm willing to accept being an idiot (;)) but looking at some of my clever friends who have given up on it in season 2, I'd say the show has a problem because it's leaking viewers... And eventually, new viewers=no show.
I am worried about its long term future. Most of the people I know have given up watching and it does seem like a very expensive and complicated show to produce.

Amir

That would be a shame. I was joking btw.
I know you were, that's fine.

But look, I'd be the first to admit I can get distracted while watcihng a show, and this is something you can't afford to do in Westworld. Thing is, even if you are totally 100% focused for 60 minutes, it's easy to feel as though you missed a lot. You could say that the show is particuarly good for a certain type of viewer, but they've taken it to extemes this year, to the extend it's turning away viewers who may not have understood everything in season 1, but still enjoyed it a lot. I did.

Right now, for me, it's more of a chore. I haven't even watched this week's episode yet because I'm looking for the right timing - midday, when I'm fresh and have nothing on my mind. Otherwise, there's no point even trying.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
You can't really make long term plans on American television. It's been renewed for a third season, but if it drops any further in the ratings..? It's an expensive show.

They really play games with the audience on Westworld. Even the unexpected return of Anthony Hopkins after they more or less said he was out of the show. Gave it a bit of a lift, I thought.
They're headed for the same trap that Lost went into when it kept getting renewed for further seasons IMO. Always coming up with new complexities and "no this is what it was all REALLY about" lines of thinking that they expect everyone to keep up with. I'm a bit tired of Westworld already and their numerous timelines and duplicate characters(?) etc halfway through season 2.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
They're headed for the same trap that Lost went into when it kept getting renewed for further seasons IMO. Always coming up with new complexities and "no this is what it was all REALLY about" lines of thinking that they expect everyone to keep up with. I'm a bit tired of Westworld already and their numerous timelines and duplicate characters(?) etc halfway through season 2.
Have you seen the original movies this was based on? There are three of them

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The first season had the benefit of being a straight "robots go on the rampage" show with the complex storyline almost running parallel so you could enjoy it on either or both levels. The second season really needs you to ponder WTF is going on every episode so it is harder to watch.

I hope they make it more fun soon as I'd hate it to get cut too soon like Flashforward (which was flawed but still interesting.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Needed Anthony Hopkins at the center of this show. It went up multiple levels with his reintroduction.

Also, I really hate Dolores.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Have you seen the original movies this was based on? There are three of them
I saw the original movie, which was okay. Stayed away from the sequel. Pretty sure there was only one sequel movie, Futureworld, and then a short lived TV show, Beyond Westworld.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

The most emotional episode of the season thus far. Who knew the Ghost Nation "savages" have the most empathy of all the hosts; particularly Akecheta. Also Julia Jones... :drool:

Revan

Assumptionman
I have watched the first 5 episodes, and I might say that it is a bit disappointing. Last year I said that Westwords seems to be new Lost, if Lost didn't suck. Thing is, Lost didn't suck at the beginning, in fact it was quite good. Westworld was great last season, but nowhere as good now, and I have the feeling that it is losing its way.

Sylar

I enjoyed that episode. In fact ive enjoyed the last three (or four) eps. The first four were defo a struggle but needed patience. I think those needed to be binge watched maybe (altho the eps are about an hour with no ads)

Needed Anthony Hopkins at the center of this show. It went up multiple levels with his reintroduction.
I agree and said it before. I think AH just brings something to the show no other character/ actor does.
But at the same time, what happened to his character needed to happen to progress the story beyond what it initially was.

Oldyella

Latest episode re the Ghost Nation was amazing. Felt like a sweeping epic, just told in an hour.

Skåre Willoch

Enjoyed that episode. Very different to the other episodes, yet felt like one that made most storylines progress or easier to understand.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That was excellent. I haven’t found any of this season boring to be honest but can understand if people have. You really do have to work for it, probably too much but I’m a sucker for that sort of nonsense.

Also - Heart Shaped Box.

Roosney

Weird really. Came here to see how much stick you guys are giving this ep but I guess I'm the only one.

Thought it was cringeworthy. I like characters like the ghost nation hippies but this was really just some Disney Pocahontas shite.
Only if they had left all the sobbing and nursery fables out of it this could have been quite good of an episode.

Roosney

I have never read an analysis and part of the fun was figuring out the timelines and realising that
the simulation/only exists in the cradle bits were shown in letterbox/widescreen
Nice catch. I never paid attention to the change of the aspect ratio but I did think those scenes took place in some demo version of the Westworld or something.

Adam-Utd

Weird really. Came here to see how much stick you guys are giving this ep but I guess I'm the only one.

Thought it was cringeworthy. I like characters like the ghost nation hippies but this was really just some Disney Pocahontas shite.
Only if they had left all the sobbing and nursery fables out of it this could have been quite good of an episode.
I think they had to have the emotion to show how the "robots" are turning into humans.

I feel the show is trying to convey that people are turning into robots, and vice versa.

I think now that the answers are being revealed and the show is cranking up it'll get back to it's best again.

A little like GOT where you've got a period of messing about, it can't be exciting every episode I guess.

Jericholyte2

Well that was a dull episode.
WHAT?!?!?

I thought the last thing that episode was was boring. Such a powerful, well written character-driven story with many great plot points too. I loved how
Ford new about his end coming / had planned his end from so much earlier on

Drifter

American
WHAT?!?!?

I thought the last thing that episode was was boring. Such a powerful, well written character-driven story with many great plot points too. I loved how
Ford new about his end coming / had planned his end from so much earlier on
Ok maybe dull was a bit harsh. But it did go on a bit.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Really enjoyed that episode. No Dolores, Bernard doing the hippy shakes, time line switching nonsense. Just good old fashioned storytelling with a compelling narrative. Loved the link in to Ford and his own run in with the 'death bringer'.