Television Westworld | SPOILERS

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Every episode I come on here and the general reaction is the opposite of what I expect.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Hmm.
If that was the series finale it would be outstanding IMO. But as a set-up for another season?
I feel like it can't be rated until the next season is shown. If there is a plan for how this progresses in a meaningful way and they execute it then I would rate this highly.
If they can't execute the third season then the second is going to seem like a wasted opportunity. Depends on how well they can execute this Dolores in the brave new world plan.

Oldyella

I loved it. Was very good imo and season ended strongly after a slow first few episodes

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I liked the 2nd season a lot but did not like the finale at all. Shame.

vodrake

I was a bit disappointed with the finale. I think they'd left so many plot points and characters to tie up in the finale and rushed through them all so much that none of the pay offs were that satisfactory and some felt just downright poor.

For example, it almost felt like they completely forgot about William and his story leading to this point and just had to quickly crowbar in a couple of scenes with him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I might be in the minority here but I couldn't be any less interested in seeing Dolores and Bernard in the "real" world.
Yeah, me neither, especially as by now it feels like both of them have been dramatically killed off around 100 times (and you can add Maeve to that, too) and yet ... here they are, in the real world.

I'd say the only good thing about that finale was the annoying English prick getting killed off, but even that was beyond stupid, seeing as he could literally have just not shot at them and saved his own life, because they didn't want to shoot him. It was possibly the most pointless act of "heroism" I've ever seen.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'd say the only good thing about that finale was the annoying English prick getting killed off, but even that was beyond stupid, seeing as he could literally have just not shot at them and saved his own life, because they didn't want to shoot him. It was possibly the most pointless act of "heroism" I've ever seen.
Aye. One of about 5 times I rolled my eyes during that finale. Bought them about 15 seconds of time as well. Made me laugh how they were all following behind slowly on their buggies.

vodrake

Yeah, me neither, especially as by now it feels like both of them have been dramatically killed off around 100 times (and you can add Maeve to that, too) and yet ... here they are, in the real world.

I get that they were trying to show his character development, accepting that the hosts were real people and trying to make up for his mistake in betraying her, but it was so utterly pointless and out of character for someone who'd been shown to be the ultimate survivalist.

He would have bought them way more time by just surrendering and making them come and arrest him and not have to die pointlessly.

He was also 10 times more interesting a character than that bandit host whose place he took to make the sacrifice.

Last edited:

Oldyella

I might be in the minority here but I couldn't be any less interested in seeing Dolores and Bernard in the "real" world.
Yeah, I am sure they can do a lot of interesting things with it, but it seems far removed from the premise of the whole show which is its ultimate selling point. Hard to drag on that story over several seasons I guess which is why they are moving on.

For example, it almost felt like they completely forgot about William and his story leading to this point and just had to quickly crowbar in a couple of scenes with him.
I liked what we got, but they never really answered whether he was a host or not (my guess, he was human all through what we watched but died outside the bunker, the final clip, he was a host far in the future.)

He could literally have held them up longer by trying to talk it through with them..

Revan

Assumptionman
Have to catch up, I guess. Didn't watch any after the samurai episode, and to be fair, I haven't liked at all this season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He could literally have held them up longer by trying to talk it through with them..
That was really odd yeah. I guess the writers wanted to sacrifice himself to redeem his character but it seemed so out of place from what we've seen him do the entire season. Bizarre.

All of the Maeve storyline was bollocks, i'm assuming the 'other place' is essentially a heaven for the hosts and thus Maeve protected (??) her daughter and allowed her to have peace. The same with Dolores and her love interest.

I'm guessing therefore that all the other host characters that died outside of the 'other place' will return. So ultimately, they're all going to cheat death... despite it being drummed home all season that this was their final life. Ok.

Also felt utterly out of character that Dolores and MiB would ride together to the Forge. Seriously!? Utter bullshit.

One final thing, I think it was implied that the chief of security was also a host? That in itself seems strange as he made no effort at all to actually help them. I may have misread his final speech though?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Just noticed I said this twice. It was an accident, wasn't for extra emphasis!
Good because I must say I preferred second post twice as much.

That was really odd yeah. I guess the writers wanted to sacrifice himself to redeem his character but it seemed so out of place from what we've seen him do the entire season. Bizarre.

All of the Maeve storyline was bollocks, i'm assuming the 'other place' is essentially a heaven for the hosts and thus Maeve protected (??) her daughter and allowed her to have peace. The same with Dolores and her love interest.

I'm guessing therefore that all the other host characters that died outside of the 'other place' will return. So ultimately, they're all going to cheat death... despite it being drummed home all season that this was their final life. Ok.

Also felt utterly out of character that Dolores and MiB would ride together to the Forge. Seriously!? Utter bullshit.

One final thing, I think it was implied that the chief of security was also a host? That in itself seems strange as he made no effort at all to actually help them. I may have misread his final speech though?
Yeah ol Thor's brother was pretty much winking away at Dolores at the end there. He looks after the hosts in the park *wink* *wink*. It was really bad. And the rest of your post highlights a lot of the other silly tropes and plot contrivances that is normally indicative of poor quality writing. I have too many to bother with.

Massive Spanner

I think my biggest problem with the second series is that it just wasn't... fun. I could forgive plot-holes and silly tropes and whatnot if it was, but it wasn't, it felt like such a congested slog to watch at times, especially in the overblown, unnecessarily long finale.

I thought season one was great because it was fun, it had to be, it was taking a stupid premise from a stupid (albeit cult classic) movie and making a big budget, ten hour long TV show from it, so it had to be fun, and it nailed it, and it's not like season one didn't have all this stuff too (plot-holes, annoying characters, confusing timelines). Season two just totally lost all that for me.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think my biggest problem with the second series is that it just wasn't... fun. I could forgive plot-holes and silly tropes and whatnot if it was, but it wasn't, it felt like such a congested slog to watch at times, especially in the overblown, unnecessarily long finale.

I thought season one was great because it was fun, it had to be, it was taking a stupid premise from a stupid (albeit cult classic) movie and making a big budget, ten hour long TV show from it, so it had to be fun, and it nailed it, and it's not like season one didn't have all this stuff too (plot-holes, annoying characters, confusing timelines). Season two just totally lost all that for me.
Yeah man. I felt like I was watching Return of the King all over again with that finale. Will. You. Just. End. Already? I enjoyed the season significantly less than the first. Not quite a drop off as much as say True Detective (this still had some good moments) but by and large it was much more of chore than it needed to be. I also feel like timeline thing now is just willfully obfuscating to cover for the lack of plot.

Massive Spanner

Yeah man. I felt like I was watching Return of the King all over again with that finale. Will. You. Just. End. Already? I enjoyed the season significantly less than the first. Not quite a drop off as much as say True Detective (this still had some good moments) but by and large it was much more of chore than it needed to be. I also feel like timeline thing now is just willfully obfuscating to cover for the lack of plot.
Agreed, and funnily enough, easily the best episode of the season (episode eight) actually showed that it is possible for them to tell a good story without all these timelines. The timelines served a purpose in season one, this time round they seemed to be there purely to confuse the viewer.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It felt a bit more disjointed than the first season but I did enjoy the finale.

I don’t see how this can continue into a third season though. They should’ve ended it here.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
They should’ve ended it here.
Yeah. Maybe they will too as viewing figures have been dropping off and it's clearly very expensive to make.

It wouldn't leave you unsatisfied where they left it either in the same way Deadwood did.

Dolores got out into the human world as she wanted (probably ended up destroying it judging by that epilogue), William got his comeuppance (doomed to repeat his final days as a host on a loop continually killing his daughter) and the rest of the hosts got live in in that lovely field. Yay!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the different timelines are simply the concept of the show: to make it more engageing for the viewer by leaving it to them to put the pieces together, it also fundamentally changes the way the viewers experience the story, because it emphasizes each particular piece of the story and eliminates certain things that would distract you from other points by telling/revealing them in advance.

Massive Spanner

I think the different timelines are simply the concept of the show: to make it more engageing for the viewer by leaving it to them to put the pieces together, it also fundamentally changes the way the viewers experience the story, because it emphasizes each particular piece of the story and eliminates certain things that would distract you from other points by telling/revealing them in advance.
Yes, in theory, that's how different timelines work. But they only work if there's a purpose to doing so. There's no point creating multiple timelines purely for the sake of things.

It worked in season one because the two timelines were 30 odd years apart and made for a good twist later on, and also, the viewer wasn't really aware it was actually two timelines for most of it (unless you went on to reddit, of course) which was what made it so clever.

But what did the two (or three, or five, or ten, who fecking knows) timelines this season serve exactly? They were only two weeks apart, had no noticeable differences in setting and characters (which made them even more confusing). what was the point? What did they achieve? For my mind, nothing.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Massive Spanner

I mean the writers could probably give you some elaborate statement for why they used this approach, but in the end isn't this just a question of stylistic preference?

Sanche7

I have no idea what the post credits scene meant

These are few of my doubts, would appreciate some clarity, if anyone knows what the feck is going on.
1.Was the MIB a host all along or is he in an other timeline?

2.Did he really kill his daughter or was that a host, if so who was that in the end credits scene?

3.How did Teddy get in the virtual 'heaven'? I thought only hosts who physically crossed over were able to get into the heaven or the valley beyond

4.If all the hosts were transfered to the virtual heaven, is Maeve there or is she dead for real?

5.What's up with Stubbs? Is he a bot? If he is not, how did he know that it was a host in the form of Hale or what on earth was he talking about?

Sanche7

OK so did some reading and
Lisa Joy in an interview with Hollywood Reporter : What we see in the end recontextualizes a little bit of that. All of that did happen in that timeline, but something else has occurred, too. In the far, far future, the world is dramatically different. Quite destroyed, as it were. A figure in the image of his daughter — his daughter is of course now long dead — has come back to talk to him. He realizes that he's been living this loop again and again and again. The primal loop that we've seen this season, they've been repeating, testing every time for what they call "fidelity," or perhaps a deviation. You get the sense that the testing will continue. It's teasing for us another temporal realm that one day we're working toward, and one day will see a little bit more of, and how they get to that place, and what they're testing for

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the post credit scene is somewhere in the future, since his daughter says they have done this again and again and that it's been way longer than they thought. So I guess at that point both are hosts, or whatever the Delos Sr project is called, because they didn't age. He also wouldn't. William also stutters at some point, showing a parallel to Delos Sr's reaction towards being confronted with himself being a host.

Iirc we see Dolores grab Teddy's core unit, I guess they are infering that she uploaded his consciousness into host Nirvana herself.

Maeve appers dead, though in WW that is a very relative thing, especially for hosts. For all we know someone might grab her core unit and bring her back later on.

The Stubbs scene is likely a cliff hanger for s3. He not so subtly hints at being something akin to Bernard, but he's saying it in such an ambiguous way that he could also mean it as a final feck you towards Delos command.

Last edited:

vodrake

I have no idea what the post credits scene meant

These are few of my doubts, would appreciate some clarity, if anyone knows what the feck is going on.
1.Was the MIB a host all along or is he in an other timeline?

2.Did he really kill his daughter or was that a host, if so who was that in the end credits scene?

3.How did Teddy get in the virtual 'heaven'? I thought only hosts who physically crossed over were able to get into the heaven or the valley beyond

4.If all the hosts were transfered to the virtual heaven, is Maeve there or is she dead for real?

5.What's up with Stubbs? Is he a bot? If he is not, how did he know that it was a host in the form of Hale or what on earth was he talking about?
As you quoted in your other post, the post scene credits is set far in the future, with a host MIB repeating the events that lead up to him killing his real daughter for fidelity. The daughter that appears at the end is either a host or other AI being, as it was mentioned before that familiar faces help the human hosts adapt better.

After Bernard revives Dolores in Charlotte's body, she mentions that she changed her mind about destroying the "heaven" world and says she's adding one more soul, attaching a host's core to the machine. That was Teddy.

Only the hosts that passed through the gate got transferred, so Maeve is very much still on earth. They hinted at her revival though, with the Delos guy telling the engineers to round up any hosts they think are salvageable whilst the camera pans to Maeve.

I think it's quite strongly hinting that Stubbs was a host. I wasn't sure if his conversation was just him trying to tell Charlores he knows she's a host, but it seems likely he is a host.

Sanche7

As you quoted in your other post, the post scene credits is set far in the future, with a host MIB repeating the events that lead up to him killing his real daughter for fidelity. The daughter that appears at the end is either a host or other AI being, as it was mentioned before that familiar faces help the human hosts adapt better.

After Bernard revives Dolores in Charlotte's body, she mentions that she changed her mind about destroying the "heaven" world and says she's adding one more soul, attaching a host's core to the machine. That was Teddy.

Only the hosts that passed through the gate got transferred, so Maeve is very much still on earth. They hinted at her revival though, with the Delos guy telling the engineers to round up any hosts they think are salvageable whilst the camera pans to Maeve.

I think it's quite strongly hinting that Stubbs was a host. I wasn't sure if his conversation was just him trying to tell Charlores he knows she's a host, but it seems likely he is a host.
Awesome, thanks for the reply, clears up a few things

The Firestarter

You mean the heaven with all the hosts?
Only Delores knows and from what Lisa Joy said, I think that's the last we will see of Teddy and Co.

Here's the link to the interview, helps clear up a lot of doubts and she also talks a bit snout season 3 :
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...-2-finale-explained-lisa-joy-season-3-1122744
Cheers, it's a bit odd Dolores knowing all the possible satellites and communication infrastructure, but I presume she was leveraging on Hale's data.

Sanche7

Cheers, it's a bit odd Dolores knowing all the possible satellites and communication infrastructure, but I presume she was leveraging on Hale's data.
For a second I thought they had killed off Rachel Wood and that Tessa Thompson was going to be the lead charecter. It even made me doubt whether I should continue watching the show if Rachel Wood was not going to be there. And then they showed her, in all her glory.
That lady is just so pretty :drool:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was a strong finish. Was great watching all the pieces fall into place. With most of the current story wrapped up, what next?

Fridge chutney

So is the old dude at the end a robot? I had no clue what was going on half the time with the show.