Television Westworld | SPOILERS

Trizy

I kind of like the randomness of the his new season. Outside of the main story line they've now given us a Samurai episode and Ghost Nation episode. Either could never have happened and it wouldn't change the outcome of the show.

saivet

Same feelings towards the most recent episode as I had to the Shogun one. A bit boring.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
S2 is redeeming itself after an uneven start.

I thought they were going to go full Game of Thrones mode for a moment and kill off Dolores, the main pro...er...ant...or whichever-tagonist. That would’ve been something.

And I think Elsie is sneaky hot, for whatever that’s worth.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That was meh again.

One or two episodes aside, this has been a massive drop off in quality from season one. Wouldn't really be bothered to have a season three.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Last 2 episodes have been awesome. Show is really finding its feet imo.

Amir

Yeah that was one thing I wasn't clear about. I can only assume it happens later?
Or previously, or in a different universe, or it was all in his head. Or your head. Or if you play it backwards you'll heard 'Bernard is dead'.

Seriously though, much like in season 1, the second half of the season has been better. Not brilliant, though, this time around.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I don't get it. I thought Bernard was captured? Or is that a later timeline?
Hmmm I think we still have not reached the timeline where we saw Bernard being captured. That happened after the events shown in this episode i.e. after Hopkins came back etc. Last we saw of him, he was trying to debug himself to get this memory back

saivet

Time line -

Started reading it but couldn't be fecked.

A part of me think watching it chronologically would have been better in some way. The theory and thinking is intriguing, but not sure I can be bothered watching another season constantly wondering what the feck is going on.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Right, so... Do we know what William's wife and daughter mean about him being a phoney/fake/general hatred of him? Are they simply talking about his alternate life as the MIB, or is there something more they are alluding to that we're yet to find out? Or have they said outright and I've forgotten?

I need to stop watching this show just before bed.

Oldyella

Hmmm I think we still have not reached the timeline where we saw Bernard being captured. That happened after the events shown in this episode i.e. after Hopkins came back etc. Last we saw of him, he was trying to debug himself to get this memory back
Bernard being captured is one of the last timeline wise things we have seen no? That group found the drowned hosts and Bernard was washed up on some shore, the hosts are currently heading to the place he floods (and assume gets washed away with)

Right, so... Do we know what William's wife and daughter mean about him being a phoney/fake/general hatred of him? Are they simply talking about his alternate life as the MIB, or is there something more they are alluding to that we're yet to find out? Or have they said outright and I've forgotten?

I need to stop watching this show just before bed.
I think its a red herring? His wife believes he is a phoney as he pretended to love her to get in with the rich crowd, and she didnt see it at the time. He has spent so long in Westworld though, he thinks he is a host himself (could well be yet I guess, Devos only broke down when he found he was a host)

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I think its a red herring? His wife believes he is a phoney as he pretended to love her to get in with the rich crowd, and she didnt see it at the time. He has spent so long in Westworld though, he thinks he is a host himself (could well be yet I guess, Devos only broke down when he found he was a host)
It just seemed suicide was a bit of an extreme reaction, so wasn't sure if I'm missing something. Why not file for divorce like a normal couple?

I've just paused on his wife watching the MIB park footage. One of the windows is a box which says:
Category 47B:
Occurrence .0072% {Rare}
Persecutory Subtype
Delusions
Paranoid Subtype

Him cutting himself open could just as easily mean he's a host with a paranoid subtype.

Oldyella

It just seemed suicide was a bit of an extreme reaction, so wasn't sure if I'm missing something. Why not file for divorce like a normal couple?

I've just paused on his wife watching the MIB park footage. One of the windows is a box which says:
Category 47B:
Occurrence .0072% {Rare}
Persecutory Subtype
Delusions
Paranoid Subtype

Him cutting himself open could just as easily mean he's a host with a paranoid subtype.
Maybe yeah. She was tanked up though and had just watched him performing several rapes etc in the park, might make anyone do something like that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You're an acoholic who just got ushered out of a social event in embarassment, you realize your own daughter wants to commit you into psychiatric care against your will and you (think that you) find out/realize that your whole adult live was a lie, she said she married William because she thought he was the only authentic person in her orbit just to realize years later not only that he was actually the least authentic person, who just kept lying the best to her while dismantling her family from the inside. She also saw with her own eyes that behind that facade lured something which (by his recorded actions at least) could be described as pure evil and through marrying him she gave that sociopath access to her family's fortune and power, perhaps indirectly driving Logan into going mad and killing himself with drugs.

I don't think it's far fetched that someone who maybe already was depressed (boozing) would kill herself upon realizing/confirming that.

What bothered me a bit is that he apparently completely forgot about his profile, even though he had to know how damaging it would be to him. I reckon someone like him would've searched for it and if he couldn't find it think about who could've taken it (-> his daughter), throwing a big wrench into the logic behind shooting her.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
So one thing I don't get: wasn't Teddy floating in the lake?

beedoubleyou

Absolutely loving it. This season has taken it to another level. I'm always thinking 'if the next scene is what I think it is, I'm good. If not then I'm lost'. So far, so good. That timeline is exactly where I thought we were at.

Hammerfell

Absolutely loving it. This season has taken it to another level. I'm always thinking 'if the next scene is what I think it is, I'm good. If not then I'm lost'. So far, so good. That timeline is exactly where I thought we were at.
Same. Then I come on here and start thinking I must be an idiot because of how many people hate it. Huh.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Same. Then I come on here and start thinking I must be an idiot because of how many people hate it. Huh.
It's good if you can follow it, but I can see why many people are getting lost and it sort of ruins it.

Remembering that the show isn't actually chronological is really important.

Sanche7

For everyone who is worried that the show will turn out to be something like Lost :

If you're wondering whether Westworld will leave you feeling a little lost, you have nothing to worry about.

That's according to show creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, who insist that they don't ask questions if they don't intend to answer them. That's very much unlike a certain mystery-driven show that disappointed fans with its lack of resolution.

"In Lost, they really believed in the mystery boxand not looking too much inside the mystery box. It was some kind of idea generator that you didn't need to dissect and open up. And that's absolutely fascinating and an engaging way to tell a story", Joy said. "But for us, you know, I think we are interested in dismantling the mystery box, opening it up, looking at what it is, putting it together like it's some kind of Lego, seeing how it works and really questioning and exposing that."

That's good news for fans.

"The questions that we tee up, we do try to address", she said. "We have an answer for all of them."

Full Interview :

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/new...out-dismantling-the-mystery-box-say-creators/

Minimalist

Lost was a great show for all it's flaws (and it did get gradually worse over time no question).

If Westworld ends up being as good as Lost I'll be delighted.

Really looking forward to the final episode.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I’m about 90% sure Emily was a host.

Her explanation for how she found him didn’t cut it for me - “I looked everywhere” seems like a bluff. It is quite ridiculous that she managed him twice and if it was just lazy writing for plot convenience the writers probably wouldn’t mention it at all.

MIB is real. Emily is a host, the one in the park.

The Firestarter

We didn't see the end of the verification on her so this a bit of a cliff hanger now. Also, if William is a host of the Delos type maybe he is showing as human on the scanner.

The thing in his arm that he tried to cut is quite near to the location of the hosts diagnostic port.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
He'll have a prosthetic arm. One made from host technology.

crappycraperson

Scout
They answered most of the S2 and S1 mysteries in the season finale but think I am out on this series. Just not for me like Lost in its latter seasons.

kps88

They answered most of the S2 and S1 mysteries in the season finale but think I am out on this series. Just not for me like Lost in its latter seasons.
I can understand people tuning out, but I don't understand the Lost comparisons. Later season Lost was all about needlessly creating mysteries with no satisfying answers. It wasn't confusing or particularly demanding. And at the end, it relied more on the characters than the mythology. If anything, it's the complete opposite of Westworld. Unless people are just using it as an example of a show they stopped enjoying.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

Scout
I can understand people tuning out, but I don't understand the Lost comparisons. Later season Lost was all about needlessly creating mysteries with no satisfying answers. It wasn't confusing or particularly demanding. And at the end, it relied more on the characters than the mythology. If anything, it's the complete opposite of Westworld. Unless people are just using it as an example of a show they stopped enjoying.
Yes, you are right that this is done much better than LOST in the sense that the writers know the end of the mysteries they are setting up. Though I still think character arcs in LOST were stronger than Westworld. My problem is that a lot of narrative choices are made here just to fool audiences and for some big reveal of a twist. That’s fine for one arc or another but not it is used too much here.

I get why so many people enjoy watching this but I don’t find it that rewarding and some earlier episodes of the season were down right boring for me. As a 2 hour movie I would be fine to watch something like this with a big reveal in the end but too much investment for a 10+ hour show

Roosney

No. Just no. Terrible finale overall, but come on, I almost stopped watching after Maeve's final scene. Cringeworthy.