What’s the reasons for keeping Ole?

C'est Moi Cantona

Unless we were negligent we wouldn't have given Ole the job at the end of the season unless we hadn't already, and that's the crux of it.

So all those that scream it's been 'five fecking months', etc, and all those who scream 'why the feck is he still here' , etc, all have a point.

We've hired him too soon, but we've made our bed, so have to back him now, but there is no doubt it looks the wrong decision.

smudgegezer

Sp who should we have gotten? we have had so called experienced managers and they all flopped.

So who should we have gotten? Poch might have said no to us, we are not the glamorous club we use to be and given our recent history for what we do to managers I don't blame people for thinking twice. Winning the FA cup still got LVG the sack.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
From an outside perspective the answer seems to be very simple:
Cause the board and Woodward is absolutely clueless.
And if someone would be a good candidate for being the new coach, and a wonder happens and Woodward would have the idea to hire him, he probably would say "No thanks" cause he would see that the board and Woodward is absolutely clueless and have no knowledge of a footballclub and a profesional structure you need in these times to get something started.

Yakuza_devils

From an outside perspective the answer seems to be very simple:
Cause the board and Woodward is absolutely clueless.
And if someone would be a good candidate for being the new coach, and a wonder happens and Woodward would have the idea to hire him, he probably would say "No thanks" cause he would see that the board and Woodward is absolutely clueless and have no knowledge of a footballclub and a profesional structure you need in these times to get something started.
What you described was exactly Kloop's situation. Ed approached him and sell Man Utd as an adult Disneyland. Needless to say, Kloop didn't buy into it at all and found Ed clueless. Hence, he rejected us and opted for Liverpool instead.

Sterling Archer

What you described was exactly Kloop's situation. Ed approached him and sell Man Utd as an adult Disneyland. Needless to say, Kloop didn't buy into it at all and found Ed clueless. Hence, he rejected us and opted for Liverpool instead.
And look who's the clown now...us. Imagine how terrible your pitch has to be for a manager to turn down Manchester United :nervous:

Luke1995

Any manager post Ferguson needs to be given clear directions by the board. ''Listen, this is what we want and expect you to do'' ''Those are the targets, this is the money, do it or get out''

The board is just hoping it works well with Ole. They don't have a vision.

Denis79

Any manager post Ferguson needs to be given clear directions by the board. ''Listen, this is what we want and expect you to do'' ''Those are the targets, this is the money, do it or get out''

The board is just hoping it works well with Ole. They don't have a vision.
Top 4, thats where their vision ends. Or ambition imo

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Man who won 2 of 3 our trophies in post SAF era? Yeah, right right.
Oh well if it's only about Trophies....

SAF, Sir Bobby and several other senior figures at the club, and those of us that cared about the club didn't want the guy anywhere near Old Trafford, and if it wasn't obvious to some at the time why that was, it should be now.

rpg

Do you have any actual reasons why we’re keeping faith with Ole?
As for me, i have no objection for keeping Ole simply because i dont feel any particular candidate out there can successfully do a rebuilding job at United. Unless Fergie come out of retirement, then i would say Ole must vacate the spot for him.
Since Mourinho and Van Gaal couldn't do their job, i doubt managers like Pep or Poch will able to do so.
So just let it be Ole in the meantime. Let the salary be earned by one of our own while we ride out the 10 yrs or 20 yrs slump. It is our turn after the bull market, so must be bear market.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Jose is the least of our problems.
Are you sure, I think the biggest problem we've got is it will take three years to clear up the mess Mourinho left us in. And fans should take that into account when they demand Ole is sacked next season the first time we get a few unfavourable results which will happen whether we like it or not whoever the Manager is.

Hawks2008

Because the club have no ambition they thought they struck gold. But it's okay because he knows the club and the "united way" and he doesn't park in SAF's spot and he is chummy with his mates 'Rashy' and 'Youngy' and 'Jonah' who will no doubt be starting 35+ games each next season.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
Because the club have no ambition they thought they struck gold. But it's okay because he knows the club and the "united way" and he doesn't park in SAF's spot and he is chummy with his mates 'Rashy' and 'Youngy' and 'Jonah' who will no doubt be starting 35+ games each next season.
Quick reminder: Ole is at the club because of fan hysteria and fan propensity to be overnostalgic, nothing to do with the board wanting a cheap option. The real flaw of the board is the inability to save you guys from yourselves.

A different board did save you from yourselves in 1989 'Ta-ra Fergie'. This board got overwhelmed. I know it's an uncomfortable truth.

Negan

Oh well if it's only about Trophies....

SAF, Sir Bobby and several other senior figures at the club, and those of us that cared about the club didn't want the guy anywhere near Old Trafford, and if it wasn't obvious to some at the time why that was, it should be now.
And yet SAF, Sir Bobby and “several other senior figures” wanted Moyes. And Solskjær.

How’s that working out for us?

All this talk about “employing big managers didn’t work for us, so let’s hire someone inexperienced!” is complete rubbish. Absolutely absurd. Do you think Real Madrid think like that? “Oh, we spent big money on this guy and he flopped. I guess we won’t buy big anymore and just promote young kids and hope for the best!”

feck no. They have ambition and we clearly do not. That’s why they sacked 2 managers last season when the results weren’t coming. We apparently can’t do that cause Ole needs 3 transfer windows to “sort Mourinho’s mess”... cause Mourinho bought Young, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Lingard, Herrera, Mata, Pereira, Martial and Rashford... right?

Oh wait. He wasn’t allowed to get rid of half of those and buy actual good players like Sandro, Perisic, Alderweireld and Mandzukic. Now try and convince me that those four players wouldn’t have been an improvement on what we have.

I’m sick of people saying that’s a Mourinho team when it’s far fecking from it. He had a back four of failed wingers and CB’s from Ferguson’s era for fecks sake.

Celoti23-81

And yet SAF, Sir Bobby and “several other senior figures” wanted Moyes. And Solskjær.

All this talk about “employing big managers didn’t work for us, so let’s hire someone inexperienced!” is complete rubbish. Absolutely absurd. Do you think Real Madrid think like that? “Oh, we spent big money on this guy and he flopped. I guess we won’t buy big anymore and just promote young kids and hope for the best!”

feck no. They have ambition and we clearly do not. That’s why they sacked 2 managers last season when the results weren’t coming. We apparently can’t do that cause Ole needs 3 transfer windows to “sort Mourinho’s mess”... cause Mourinho bought Young, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Lingard, Herrera, Mata, Pereira, Martial and Rashford... right?

Oh wait. He wasn’t allowed to get rid of half of those and buy actual good players like Sandro, Perisic, Alderweireld and Mandzukic. Now try and convince me that those four players wouldn’t have been an improvement on what we have.

I’m sick of people saying that’s a Mourinho team when it’s far fecking from it. He had a back four of failed wingers and CB’s from Ferguson’s era for fecks sake.
Spot on. Though I didn't like Mourinho much, he had a case! I'm not exactly ecstatic about Solskjaer and Phelan either. They are yes men, that have had to change philosophy on transfers to young and hard working players that want to play for the badge, basically because it's the cheaper option!
De Ligt will be at Barca, Joao Felix will go to Spain etc. Woodward will not pay anything over the odds this season after the feck up of the Sanchez deal.

AJ10

Oh wait. He wasn’t allowed to get rid of half of those and buy actual good players like Sandro, Perisic, Alderweireld and Mandzukic, Willian (added him for you). Now try and convince me that those four players wouldn’t have been an improvement on what we have.

What a moronic post.

They hired Zidane, you know the guy who had no experience and they did push several young players into the first 11 this season. :lol:

Jose didn't buy them but he kept them for 2 years and lets not forget about his crap signings. Its like a manager gets no blame for keeping the crap players and having them as first names on the sheet.

If we wanted to look like stoke city then yeah they would have been an improvement on what we have and paying around 60 mil for old players who would need to be replaced after 2/3 season.

Buy several mediocre players at the end of their career while paying stupid money for them, What a plan.

Last edited:

Negan

What a moronic post.

They hired Zidane, you know the guy who had no experience and they did push several young players into the first 11 this season. :lol:

Jose didn't buy them but he kept them for 2 years and lets not forget about his crap signings. Its like a manager gets no blame for keeping the crap players and having them as first names on the sheet.

If we wanted to look like stoke city then yeah they would have been an improvement on what we have and paying around 60 mil for old players who would need to be replaced after 2/3 season.

Buy several mediocre players at the end of their career while paying stupid money for them, What a plan.
Zidane won shit and is respected by players all over the world. They’ll want to play for him.

What has Solskjær done besides win the Viking League about 8 years ago and get Cardiff relegated? Answer me that. What qualifies him for this job? His “ DNA”?

Solskjær is a Glazer puppet who is happy to protect their bank accounts and promote Academy players. He will use the excuse about “needing time” over and over, when we’re getting fisted by the likes of Villa and Norwich. Our fans will lap it up because of the Treble in 1999. Its even on the kit this season!

We’re living in the past and this Solskjær appointment is just one big money saving nostalgia blast. I thought getting rid of Moyes was fecking hard, but the fans will never turn on this guy. So we’re in for a long ride here.

I personally cannot WAIT for this to end. So we can get back to having some fecking ambition for once.

AJ10

Zidane won shit and is respected by players all over the world. They’ll want to play for him.

What has Solskjær done besides win the Viking League about 8 years ago and get Cardiff relegated? Answer me that. What qualifies him for this job? His “ DNA”? Piss off with that.

Solskjær is a Glazer puppet who is happy to protect their bank accounts and promote Academy players. He will use the excuse about “needing time” over and over, when we’re getting fisted by the likes of Villa and Norwich. Our fans will lap it up because of the Treble in 1999. I mean, it’s even on the kit this season!

We’re living in the past and this Solskjær appointment is just one big money saving nostalgia blast. I thought getting rid of Moyes was fecking hard, the fans will never turn on this guy.

I personally cannot WAIT for this to end.
You said Madrid wouldn't have hired a rookie, which they did. Not sure what his trophies as a player has to do with his managerial ability? More trophies as a player doesn't boost your managerial abilities.

Real/Barca/Chelsea (grant) Hired managers with hardly any experience who never managed any where decent, not sure it hindered them. Klopp/Conte got their teams relegated as well but they're not doing too bad.

So just like LVG and Jose, used needing more time as excuses? Even when they had hundreds of millions to spend. Any United fan would love to see us promote youth not sure whats the problem as they'll be squad players who'll get game time, its better than paying 100 mil for 19 years old after one good season. Shocking concept...........right?

So real madrid and Barca were living in the past when they appointed rookies as their managers?

Didn't we get smashed i mean "fisted" by some danish team, Norwich etc with LVG and West Ham, Brighton,Derby/Bristol city, Huddersfield, Fenerbache, West Brom under Jose?

I have no idea why you're bringing up points which go against your own argument. :lol:

Last edited:

Halftrack

Its like a manager gets no blame for keeping the crap players and having them as first names on the sheet.
Unless it's Ole, he's been getting plenty of shit for using the players he's inherited.

Hamadovich86

People forget that his run was unprecedented, we were unbeaten in 11 games (lost to PSG and then won 4 out of 5). That's a staggering record for any manager let alone someone in their debut season. The downfall was probably due to opponent caliber and player fatigue which is something that the three teams ahead of us were also impacted by this. I am not justifying losses to Wolves and Cardiff but by then our motivation was shot.

For me, jury is still out on Ole as a manager, he had an amazing run and then had a shit one. I am hoping that he identifies the players that should never put on a United shirt again (although his start hasnt been good) and work on bringing in the right players through the market and from the academy.

Bestietom

I’m actually confused as to why as one of the biggest club in the world we’re about to meander into another season with:

Lack of confidence

Poor form

Too many average players

No sense of a style for the team being imposed

Why are we backing Ole to turn this around when we finished the season so poorly? Are we really going to trust a novice manager with rebuilding just because he used to play for us?
You want Mourinho back then. A chequebook manager
Give Ole and Phelan etc. a chance mate. Big names don't always come out on top, Players and Managers included.

tonnas

Spot on. Though I didn't like Mourinho much, he had a case! I'm not exactly ecstatic about Solskjaer and Phelan either. They are yes men, that have had to change philosophy on transfers to young and hard working players that want to play for the badge, basically because it's the cheaper option!
De Ligt will be at Barca, Joao Felix will go to Spain etc. Woodward will not pay anything over the odds this season after the feck up of the Sanchez deal.
No its not, in the past 5 years we are the biggest spenders after city, young and hard working players are the ones we need as the current crop (or most of it) lack the passion and hunger which fecked us this season and top 3 position !!

AJ10

Unless it's Ole, he's been getting plenty of shit for using the players he's inherited.
Its ridiculous really, there are so many good arguments to be made against Ole but you'll get posters making these stupid points to further their own agenda. One poster even said our winning run was only due to players and loosing run started because Ole showed his managerial skills.

If next season our crap players are still starting regularly then just like our previous managers, Ole will be rightly blamed.

Enigma_87

You know who
You said Madrid wouldn't have hired a rookie, which they did. Not sure what his trophies as a player has to do with his managerial ability? More trophies as a player doesn't boost your managerial abilities.

Real/Barca/Chelsea (grant) Hired managers with hardly any experience who never managed any where decent, not sure it hindered them. Klopp/Conte got their teams relegated as well but they're not doing too bad.

So just like LVG and Jose, used needing more time as excuses? Even when they had hundreds of millions to spend. Any United fan would love to see us promote youth not sure whats the problem as they'll be squad players who'll get game time, its better than paying 100 mil for 19 years old after one good season. Shocking concept...........right?

So real madrid and Barca were living in the past when they appointed rookies as their managers?

Didn't we get smashed i mean "fisted" by some danish team, Norwich etc with LVG and West Ham, Brighton,Derby/Bristol city, Huddersfield, Fenerbache, West Brom under Jose?

I have no idea why you're bringing up points which go against your own argument. :lol:
Real is such a bad example of you trying to big up Ole.

For one they had a great team - we currently don’t. it’s easy for them and Barca at the time to experiment, whilst we’re so far off the pace that we really can’t. There’s zero evidence Olé could replicate what Pep or Zidane did. There’s more evidence he could end up as another Neville, Henry or Keane.

Second Solari was under performing and got the boot this season.

Third Lopetegui was underperforming and got the boot this season.

At the end of the day Ole’s tenure so far won us nothing. We lost in all cups, got us from 6th to 6th and in the worst streak since 57 years ago.

If that was Real he would’ve been fired on the spot - and no we wouldn’t be given time and funds to “sort it all out”.

Enigma_87

You know who
Sack him! It’s a disgrace :lol::lol:
Don’t seem you get it. My point was that really he did a caretaking job which didn’t really warranted giving him the full time job in the end. You would might as well give it to Giggsey eh?

He has no credentials and it’s not like his 5 months tenure warranted to be appointed if we didn’t jump on the gun.

I’ll be looking forward to what you or other of his vehement defenders will say if the new season will be like the one just ended and how fast you will turn. Especially seeing some of the comments in matchday threads recently.

The cost will be of course another 1-2 seasons down the drain because of we “stuck to our guns”.

Seth.R

I can only assume we approached Pochettino and were turned down (for now). Ole at the time was winning games, there was a feel-good factor around the club, players were at their best, OT was bouncing every week (atmosphere was the best I’d enjoyed for ages for regular PL games) and fans loved him.

In hindsight it seems terrible, but it’s easy to criticise in hindsight. Personally I would have waited, but it’s very easy to see why the board gave him the job.

Either way, he’s here now and I’m happy to back him (because he’s not a sour kill-joy like his predecessor). When he came in, he seemed to have a good idea of how football should be played (high press, full-backs pushed high and wide, high tempo play) but it seems as fitness tailed off, that sort of fell to pieces.

He’s definitely made mistakes, however let’s atleast give the man a full pre-season and a transfer window before getting a proper idea of his potential.

It’s not as if there’s another outstanding candidate readily available to come in, so any other appointment would be a risk too. I’m happy to back Ole at the wheel (with Mike Phelan right beside him).

SaintMuppet

What has Solskjær done besides win the Viking League about 8 years ago and get Cardiff relegated? Answer me that. What qualifies him for this job? His “ DNA”?

Solskjær is a Glazer puppet who is happy to protect their bank accounts and promote Academy players. He will use the excuse about “needing time” over and over, when we’re getting fisted by the likes of Villa and Norwich. Our fans will lap it up because of the Treble in 1999. Its even on the kit this season!

We’re living in the past and this Solskjær appointment is just one big money saving nostalgia blast. I thought getting rid of Moyes was fecking hard, but the fans will never turn on this guy. So we’re in for a long ride here.

I personally cannot WAIT for this to end. So we can get back to having some fecking ambition for once.
I recommend Movicol for your current condition. It’s unusual for one so young to suffer this but 3/4 sachets a day should offer some relief......

fergiesarmy1

Don’t seem you get it. My point was that really he did a caretaking job which didn’t really warranted giving him the full time job in the end. You would might as well give it to Giggsey eh?

He has no credentials and it’s not like his 5 months tenure warranted to be appointed if we didn’t jump on the gun.

I’ll be looking forward to what you or other of his vehement defenders will say if the new season will be like the one just ended and how fast you will turn. Especially seeing some of the comments in matchday threads recently.

The cost will be of course another 1-2 seasons down the drain because of we “stuck to our guns”.
I’m not a vehement defender as you put it but to sack him a couple of months after giving him a 3 year contract because of the last 10 or so games would be harsh and embarrassing at the same time.

Pretty sure it wouldn’t be a good selling point to who we would want to replace him either.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

You wonder if that PSG game did us more harm than good in the end. Not having a go at Ole here. More that the board got carried away with the euphoria of it all, we all did really and that got him the job. If they had waited, then the players may, may being the word, carried on trying to get him the job. Unfortunately we picked up a lot of injuries, some actually before that game and the rest got complacent or were too busy worrying about their future rather than the clubs. At least we might have got CL football and recruitment might have become simpler.

Skills

Snitch

I think the difference is that Madrid wouldn't have kept the rookie if he didn't keep on defying the odds. There was talk of him getting sacked in the middle of his last season, after he'd won them back-to-back CL :lol:

AJ10

Real is such a bad example of you trying to big up Ole.

For one they had a great team - we currently don’t. it’s easy for them and Barca at the time to experiment, whilst we’re so far off the pace that we really can’t. There’s zero evidence Olé could replicate what Pep or Zidane did. There’s more evidence he could end up as another Neville, Henry or Keane.

Second Solari was under performing and got the boot this season.

Third Lopetegui was underperforming and got the boot this season.

At the end of the day Ole’s tenure so far won us nothing. We lost in all cups, got us from 6th to 6th and in the worst streak since 57 years ago.

If that was Real he would’ve been fired on the spot - and no we wouldn’t be given time and funds to “sort it all out”.
So they still hired a rookie? No one is saying he can replicate them, since he took over we're 3rd in the league not sure not sure how you came to that bold conclusion.

Solari was a caretaker and nothing more and got replaced once they found first choice manager.

Lopetegui was rightly fired just like our previous managers for being shit while spending hundreds of millions.

we finished 6th under Ole when he took over with 0 goals difference plus 8 points behind 4th, did well to make up the points with a squad of players who were playing walking football for the past 2 years. Under Jose we lost vs Derby in the cup, so loosing to wolves wasn't a shock and if you expected us to beat Barca then I'd suggest MRI scan, Winning nothing? yeah lets sack him.

Fortunately we're not the complete circus Real Madrid are otherwise we would of never had fergie, they're so stupid they sacked Del Bosque after he won them CL and league titles.

Celoti23-81

No its not, in the past 5 years we are the biggest spenders after city, young and hard working players are the ones we need as the current crop (or most of it) lack the passion and hunger which fecked us this season and top 3 position !!
No we don't. We need to fill gaps like right back and right wing! Anybody telling me the players at this club are useless are kidding themselves. Mourinho screwed their confidence over the course of the season, Ole came in with his new manager bounce, now he is blaming the players and making Moyesesque type excuses about fitness.
Signing young hungry players is just a smokescreen to avoid Sanchez types of deals, nothing more!
Who are these young and hungry players anyway? Are they good enough? Leicester have a lot young and hungry players with potentially a better manager than we have, I don't they will be breaking into the top 4 or 5 anytime soon!

AaronRedDevil

The biggest mistake the club has made in the last 30 years was employing Jose Mourinho.
Ive read some bad crap but this :lol::lol::lol:. Not the man to ripped out our spine, wiped out the winning mentality, gave us Fellaini, made us feel like Everton, 6th place! Aspired to be like city who had ONE Premiere League trophy. Eejit.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

We haven't even signed a player yet or kicked a fecking football! :lol: The state of some morons.

I dread to think what people are going to be like if we don't win our first game of the season 7-0?
SAF wouldn't survive with this lot of fans these days. So entitled, so quick to judge and yet know nothing.

AJ10

I think the difference is that Madrid wouldn't have kept the rookie if he didn't keep on defying the odds. There was talk of him getting sacked in the middle of his last season, after he'd won them back-to-back CL :lol:
Regardless of what he did or didn't do, they still hired a rookie. Of course they would have sacked him if he didn't perform just as we will if next season Ole doesn't.

JohnnyKills

So they still hired a rookie? No one is saying he can replicate them, since he took over we're 3rd in the league not sure not sure how you came to that bold conclusion.

Solari was a caretaker and nothing more and got replaced once they found first choice manager.

Lopetegui was rightly fired just like our previous managers for being shit while spending hundreds of millions.

we finished 6th under Ole when he took over with 0 goals difference plus 8 points behind 4th, did well to make up the points with a squad of players who were playing walking football for the past 2 years. Under Jose we lost vs Derby in the cup, so loosing to wolves wasn't a shock and if you expected us to beat Barca then I'd suggest MRI scan, Winning nothing? yeah lets sack him.

Fortunately we're not the complete circus Real Madrid are otherwise we would of never had fergie, they're so stupid they sacked Del Bosque after he won them CL and league titles.
Since he got made permanent we're in the relegation zone.

Enigma_87

You know who
I’m not a vehement defender as you put it but to sack him a couple of months after giving him a 3 year contract because of the last 10 or so games would be harsh and embarrassing at the same time.

Pretty sure it wouldn’t be a good selling point to who we would want to replace him either.
Why? He got hired on the same 10 games basis as a knee jerk reaction. About her 10 games will be enough to consider to fix that mistake.

Ole got us in the worst form since 57 years mate. Do you really want to give the rebuilding job to him? Do you honestly believe he could be Zidane rather than Moyes?

If you are in clubs management will you really give hundreds of millions to a nobody with also very poor transfer record in the past (Cardiff), and who also finished the season in a disasterous way?