What are Schneiderlin's greatest attributes?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Of all the players signed post Ferguson, he has been the most disappointing IMO.

Reminds me of John Obi Mikel at Chelsea; just stealing a fortune.

Like a previous poster said, I don't think he can handle the pressure of being a United Player.

wolvored

his greatest asset was being a big fish in a small pond. No one else went in for him when he was up for sale

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
His hair looks better than most our players.

C'est Moi Cantona

You would have to say dignity, no moaning, no going to the press, he's just kept his mouth shut and accepted that his time is up and United.

On top of that he's not played silly beggars over running his contract down, and is seemingly open to moving away, I would rather he it had worked out and he was now a great United player, but he's making the best of a bad job.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The curse of the YouTube compilation strikes again. He looks good there: some decent passes, a couple of audacious bits of a skills and lots of destroying in the midfield. It's a shame those are probably the only good things he's done for us, next to a catalogue of indifferent displays in a struggling team.

TheSweeper

I never got the hype for him at Southampton. I didn't see the wonderful games as a box to box player he had but the one thing I did see was his games for France. He was utilized very differently to sit in front of the defense and shield. When he did that he looked very composed & capable.

txred

He met his lovely fiance at the Adidas shop in Manchester, so I guess it hasn't been all bad for him.

What does he do well? Not sulk or cause any noticeable issues within the squad. He was pretty physical from what I recall of him at Southampton, but we haven't seen anything like that here.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The curse of the YouTube compilation strikes again. He looks good there: some decent passes, a couple of audacious bits of a skills and lots of destroying in the midfield. It's a shame those are probably the only good things he's done for us, next to a catalogue of indifferent displays in a struggling team.
Those youtube videos can lie. I never pay much attention to them.

Ekeke

He had some good moments, but was overall a little under par last season. A couple of frustrating careless passes.

However he still got more involved than Ander, Carrick Schweinsteiger and Fellaini.

He has the ability to be a similar level to Gueye and Kante but he needs someone to give him a run of games.

Jaybomb

He's got all the attributes to be a starting CM for us; Good tackler, drives the ball forward, good passer and good workrate. But no manager seems to fancy him for some reason.

At Southampton, he was one of the best midfielders in the league. I don't seem to remember any poor performances from him here... so it's a strange one. You would think he would be the obvious partner for Pogba.

I'll be gutted to see him sold to be honest. But I'm expecting it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He is player, who age-wise, is at the peak of his career and he is spending all his time on the bench.
IMO, he needs to move to a club which guarantees him as a starter. At least then he can look to do something in his career and better himself.
Like Memphis, sitting on the bench isn't really doing anything for his reputation and at some level must be soul destroying.
I hope he moves to a more suitable club, for his own sake.

dove

He's got all the attributes to be a starting CM for us; Good tackler, drives the ball forward, good passer and good workrate. But no manager seems to fancy him for some reason.

At Southampton, he was one of the best midfielders in the league. I don't seem to remember any poor performances from him here... so it's a strange one. You would think he would be the obvious partner for Pogba.

I'll be gutted to see him sold to be honest. But I'm expecting it.
No white text? No manager fancies him as he is simply not good enough.

Ekeke

Well its not no manager, its 2 managers who have underachieved at this club. One who bought him.

dove

No manager here... Plenty of clubs will be lining up for his signature I bet.
You are right. Clubs like Southampton or Everton are his level. He is just not good enough for a club aiming for TOP 4.

Jaybomb

You are right. Clubs like Southampton or Everton are his level. He is just not good enough for a club aiming for TOP 4.
Arsenal and Spurs would have him. Probably Liverpool too.

SoCross

Schneiderlin is ideal to have as Herrera's deputy. Herrera is a better passer yes but I can easily see Morgan matching the energy Ander gives us. Feel for the lad, he's never had a proper chance to show what he can do.

Pogba Herrera/Schneiderlin

Carrick/BFS

Camilo

He's never had a run in a functioning United team. I imagine if Jose put him into our 3 man midfield, we'd see a good player again. He's probably never going to start over our current Herrera or Pogba, but surely he'd provide a half good option, no?

I ask myself, if we sell him, and maybe take 10 to 15 million off someone, who do you get in to sit on the bench and replace him? He is (on paper) a prime age French international!!

If the Everton chat is true, I think he'll do really well there.

Al-T

His broad arse given the amount of time he spends on the bench.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I ask myself, if we sell him, and maybe take 10 to 15 million off someone, who do you get in to sit on the bench and replace him? He is (on paper) a prime age French international!!
Does he actually play for France?
I don't keep up with Internationals, but from what I recall, he got virtually not playing time during the Euros and this trend has continued.
IMO, while he is at MUFC, he is basically in limbo, which sucks for a sportsman, who is at his peak and whose peak only lasts a few years.

Icemav

Tbh I am not his biggest fan but there is a good chance he could perform the Herrera role in this team if there was an injury. Herrera is obviously the better player at the moment but that aside the team is settled and the systems are starting to look good. With a bit of playing time and confidence you would be hopeful that he would do a good job. Problem is that obviously Ander isn't injured and even Fellaini seems preferred.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The classic big fish in a small pond not taking the step up.

Simply doesn't offer enough, either as a sitter, doing the Carrick role, as he lacks the passing.
And can't do the Herrera role either.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
but there is a good chance he could perform the Herrera role
No chance. He's not nearly as quick on the ball and he can't press like Herrera does (don't think anyone in our team can, in fairness). He's a poor man's Carrick, who hasn't really stepped up after the transfer.

Roboc7

I think he is a better player than he has shown in his time here but letting him go is probably the correct decision.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Arsenal and Spurs would have him. Probably Liverpool too.
He'd certainly fit in better at both of those than he would/does us (he wouldn't get a game at Liverpool though)

Jaybomb

He'd certainly fit in better at both of those than he would/does us (he wouldn't get a game at Liverpool though)
How do you figure that one out? He is a better player than all of Liverpool's midfielders. But we're not seeing it right now cause he's not playing... so I don't imagine many people will agree with me on this one. I'd certaintly have him over Henderson, Wijnaldum and Can. I wouldn't have any of those guys at United...

Schneiderlin was dealt a really bad hand since joining United. Last season, he had good stats under Van Gaal and was then dropped for no reason whatsoever. Since then he hasn't got a consistent run of games which is what he desperately needs. Jose isn't gonna change a winning side at the minute but he might need him eventually. To say he's a "poor mans Carrick/Herrera" is doing the player a massive disservice. He is a top quality midfielder when he gets going. And he's still in his prime... so what are the benefits of selling him besides getting his name off the wage bill?

If we don't buy a replacement, thats a terrible piece of business. We'd be stuck with Fellaini and Fosu Mensah as the backups.... I'd only support the decision if we were lining up a move for someone like Matuidi. Even then, I'd be skeptical cause Schneiderlin is younger and could be just as good as him.

prtk0811

We have hardly seen schneiderlin play this season so we should not judge him without seeing him play in a 3 man midfeild which I believe will suit him and our midfeild . We got schweinsteiger too they all should rotate with Carrick and give Carrick the rest he deserves. Schneiderlin is also a good player who's strengths are interception which he does well. We have more than a great midfield group, every one deserves to stay. Schneiderlin and Carrick aint getting any younger, and schneiderlin must stick around and work harder to earn his chances. He's got it in him to fit in our 3 man midfeild if Carrick and schweinsteiger is not playing.