What are Schneiderlin's greatest attributes?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Perhaps we should give every player who plays absolutely awfully whenever they're selected a run of games. I can see this being a very successful approach.
So you think it would be ok to judge a player on one game and then never let them get another chance if they play poorly? (In a team that played poorly I might add as a collective). In that case you probably will already be writing off Pogba for not exactly setting the world alight so far. I assume you wont do that of course.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Perhaps we should give every player who plays absolutely awfully whenever they're selected a run of games. I can see this being a very successful approach.
Schneiderlin proved his competence in the middle of the park for Southampton. I really don't think he was much worse than Herrera yesterday, a player who had many Tom Cleverly-esque appearances last season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Some players may not be the most talented but are able to perform certain functions very well in a team that then allows the more talented players to play better because of the work being done around them by the less talented player doing a lot of the unheralded (but very important) graft next to them. Schneiderlin is one of those players, he is very good at what he does and could be the key to the likes of Pogba perhaps being able to focus on what he does best and getting the best out of him.
Seriously what are you basing this on? What functions is he performing exactly? It's bollocks. He plays terribly and offers nothing to the team.

Carrick a few years back would have been one of these players. Fletcher when he was good. etc. Schneiderlin does not do this. He doesn't do anything useful at all from what I can see.

Varun

Staff
He has the tools to become a part of our CM. Its upto him whether he delivers when chosen or fades away. I dont judge him for how he played last year, the entire system was ill suited to most of our players especially CMs like herrera and schneiderlin.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Seriously what are you basing this on? What functions is he performing exactly? It's bollocks. He plays terribly and offers nothing to the team.

Carrick a few years back would have been one of these players. Fletcher when he was good. etc. Schneiderlin does not do this. He doesn't do anything useful at all from what I can see.
I'm judging him from watching him at Southampton where he was very effective. I dont think he has had much of a chance with Utd yet.

Varun

Staff
No, we should just be less blinkered and understand that certain systems are unique and do not suit some players and seeing as that system has left the club, its daft to feck off those players too. Or maybe we should sell everyone from last season bar De Gea, Smalling, Blind, Rashford and Martial.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So you think it would be ok to judge a player on one game and then never let them get another chance if they play poorly? (In a team that played poorly I might add as a collective). In that case you probably will already be writing off Pogba for not exactly setting the world alight so far. I assume you wont do that of course.
We've had over a year of crap Schneiderlin performances. How do you apply a logic than one player who's terrible whenever he plays deserves a run of games in the team, and another player who's terrible whenever he plays doesn't? Other than blind favouritism?

Schneiderlin proved his competence in the middle of the park for Southampton. I really don't think he was much worse than Herrera yesterday, a player who had many Tom Cleverly-esque appearances last season.
He's been rubbish at United for a year, and he wasn't nearly as good at Southampton as people have decided to pretend he was. I remember us beating them 3-2 in a game he was awful in and people raving about how good he was.

Come to terms with the fact he just hasn't been very good since United signed him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We've had over a year of crap Schneiderlin performances. How do you apply a logic than one player who's terrible whenever he plays deserves a run of games in the team, and another player who's terrible whenever he plays doesn't? Other than blind favouritism?
That was exactly the point I was making.

Also if you believe Schneiderlins performances to have been poor for a year and that is justification for him not getting another chance then by your logic half the Utd team should be banished for exactly the same reason - you would be struggling to field 11 players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's been rubbish at United for a year, and he wasn't nearly as good at Southampton as people have decided to pretend he was. I remember us beating them 3-2 in a game he was awful in and people raving about how good he was.

Come to terms with the fact he just hasn't been very good since United signed him.
He was certainly one of the top central midfielders in the league over a phase during his time at Southampton and was linked with other big clubs. I accept he hasn't been very good since United signed him, it would be silly not to. But no one looked good under LVG, it was all very subdued, the way a box to box player like Schneiderlin was morphed into a holding, passive midfielder only passing square balls.

You've seen a bad performance from him under Mourinho (I don't even think he was as bad as he's made out to be in your post, he was pretty standard relative to his peers. The entire team was dogshite yesterday). I think he deserves a run of games, much like Fellaini was given, to prove his worth.

ghagua

Think it's you who never watched him for Southampton. He was ranked first in the league for tackles/interceptions and played alongside Wanyama for 2 of his 6 seasons there. His defensive numbers were off the charts whereas his offensive numbers are non existent. To be frank about it anyone who claims he's a box to box CM I'm just ignoring from now on because you really don't have a clue.

He's got plenty of pace/athleticism which is why he's excellent at defending vs counter attacks and breaking up play. He's a DM so he's not supposed to be taking many shots or creating opportunities, he's there to do the defensive work and free up other players to go forward which is why Mourinho tried him next to Pogba in a 4-3-3. We looked much more solid defensively last night it's hardly his fault Mata was anonymous and Rojo is a mid table player.
Great!!

ghagua

How is he a box to box all round midfield player when, he can't pass, can't shoot, doesn't create anything, has no pace, no agility, can't read the game, goes missing nearly every game. If he is an all round box to box player then he should be right in the middle of the action but in fact he does the least of any player on the pitch. He puts in a tackle here and there I give him that but still not often enough. He has been anonymous for 90% of the games he has played for us.
Yet we spent 25 million on him. All those people who were involved in scouting and signing him must have been blind.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
My biggest frustration with him is he rarely acts like a general on the field. A good DM must be a leader and want the ball. I just thought he would turn into a Busquets type player, someone who provides a save outlet whenever players are in tight situations and calmly retains possession. And then be able to make nice one-touch pass that start good attacks. I'm not sure he really thinks ahead, or if he does, his idea is to take the safest outlet.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Right, and one of those CM's against City has no idea how to play in a MF 2 and leaves us completely exposed over and over. Adding Schneiderlin allows us to get the best out of Pogba.
Adding Herrera allows us to carry Pogba, not Schneiderlin. And on current form Pogba should be playing on the right or not at all anyway.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
His scrabble score.

vidic blood & sand

I'd rather give Blind a chance in the team as a DM than Schniederlin tbh. I'm not sure he's good enough there either but he showed more in the games he played there under LVG than Schneiderlin has, and that's despite Blind playing there in some impossible system where he was basically the only midfielder.
Well Blind does occasionally bring the ball out of defense and set up the attack with some decent passes. Which is exactly what a DMer is supposed to do. Personally I think Carrick does a better job at that, but he tends go into meltdown against the very top teams.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
He was certainly one of the top central midfielders in the league over a phase during his time at Southampton and was linked with other big clubs. I accept he hasn't been very good since United signed him, it would be silly not to. But no one looked good under LVG, it was all very subdued, the way a box to box player like Schneiderlin was morphed into a holding, passive midfielder only passing square balls.

You've seen a bad performance from him under Mourinho (I don't even think he was as bad as he's made out to be in your post, he was pretty standard relative to his peers. The entire team was dogshite yesterday). I think he deserves a run of games, much like Fellaini was given, to prove his worth.
Fellaini was good against Bournemouth and then against Southampton and Hull as well. He has raised his level pretty much immediately. Schneiderlin did nothing yesterday to merit another chance, in fact he played exactly the same way as he did last season - I.e. useless.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fellaini was good against Bournemouth and then against Southampton and Hull as well. He has raised his level pretty much immediately. Schneiderlin did nothing yesterday to merit another chance, in fact he played exactly the same way as he did last season - I.e. useless.
It was his first match under Mourinho though. Should he be flogged off and sold because of a disappointing match in Europa?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
It was his first match under Mourinho though. Should he be flogged off and sold because of a disappointing match in Europa?
He certainly shouldn't be given a regular run of games based on his performances for us. If he can't put in a good display in the fecking Europe league this season he has no chance of been given a chance in the prem (rightly so) - and this applies to our other wasters like Depay as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He certainly shouldn't be given a regular run of games based on his performances for us. If he can't put in a good display in the fecking Europe league this season he has no chance of been given a chance in the prem (rightly so) - and this applies to our other wasters like Depay as well.
I agree he shouldn't be starting in the near term for us, but he certainly shouldn't be sold.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Think it's you who never watched him for Southampton. He was ranked first in the league for tackles/interceptions and played alongside Wanyama for 2 of his 6 seasons there. His defensive numbers were off the charts whereas his offensive numbers are non existent. To be frank about it anyone who claims he's a box to box CM I'm just ignoring from now on because you really don't have a clue.

He's got plenty of pace/athleticism which is why he's excellent at defending vs counter attacks and breaking up play. He's a DM so he's not supposed to be taking many shots or creating opportunities, he's there to do the defensive work and free up other players to go forward which is why Mourinho tried him next to Pogba in a 4-3-3. We looked much more solid defensively last night it's hardly his fault Mata was anonymous and Rojo is a mid table player.
He hasn't ever been "excellent at defending vs counter attacks and breaking up play" for us and we didn't look "much more solid defensively last night".

vidic blood & sand

Usually I'd say no, as I have a dying faith that Memphis will come good, but regarding Schneiderlin, I've never seen him do anything good in a Utd shirt.
Wish he'd been flogged to Everton.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Because he was excellent that game.

worldinmotion66

He was first in the league for tackles and interceptions while at Southampton. He's a DM but yet some posters seem to have convinced themselves he's a box to box CM without questioning their own limited knowledge from the 2 games a season they watched him play.
He played alongside a more disciplined defensive midfielder in Wanyama. This gave him a little more freedom to press the ball when the opposition have it, and move forward more when in possession. It's really quite obvious that he can't play effectively in a disciplined role.

Our squad hasn't got the right blend of midfielders, we have no one bar Carrick that has that discipline and positional sense to anchor the midfield and allow others to flourish. Pogba / Herrera / Fellaini / Schneiderlin all need that and should be competing for two other slots in central midfield imo. It's no coincidence that Pogba has been proven with an anchoring partner in a midfield 3, Herrera and Fellaini showed their best form for us when playing together with Carrick anchoring, and Schneiderlin performed best alongside Wanyama and Davis (whom he both outscored in his final season at the Southampton).

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
He excels at the defensive side of the game, breaks up play, reads the game well, protects the centre backs really well and finds himself in the correct positions defensively, covers a lot of ground.

The problem is that for a team at the level we aspire to we need more from him on the ball. We need some one who is competent in the first phase, this is how you build your attacks (think Busquets, Alonso, Fernandinho at City, Modric/Kroos, Pirlo, Marchisio). Schneiderlin can't do this and goes as far as to hide when we are trying to build attacks because he doesn't want the ball so we really struggle when he is on the pitch going forward.

Our problem is we don't have one player who can do both sides of the dm job, all can either do one or the other so playing them you are sacrificing something. Mourinho is happy to play Felliani, he is tae so is also a threat on set pieces but he doesn't excel as much defensively as Schneiderlin and can't build attacks in the first phase.

Carrick can build attacks but as this point his legs are gone so opponents would walk through or midfield too easily.

Herrera can build attacks but he isn't defensive minded but he would be my choice if playing a midfield two he is mobil enough and technically competent to play in the first phase.

Blind can do both roles but he is just so slow, lacks agility and recovery pace that again he would be a liability in there.

A midfield 3 would make the most sense because it would get blind on with Herrera who can cover for him and would be we have two players competent in the first phase who can play passes through the lines and would also allow Pogba to have a clearer defined role as the number 8 and focus on that.

notcool

Supports
a
For me, he's like Edgar Davids. He's not a box to box player like Herrera but he is a ball winner. He's more of an Anderson (energetic) than a Cleverley (the dictating, controlling midfielder we deserve). He's not going to bring the passing but that's fine in a 4-2-3-1 with someone else alongside him to do that. And correct me if i'm wrong but isn't his performance going to be understated as the holding player in a 4-3-3? He can't be putting himself about all the time and making sliding tackles. He needs to be disciplined - something Herrera was criticized for not being in that position. Is Casemiro spectacular as the holding midfielder? No, he just does the necessary, ugly work for the team.

If you want someone to be able to play the ball, keep Blind at CB. He was doing it all last season and probably has more space than the No. 6 to get on the ball, since the latter will be tracked by the opposition No. 10. And this is the way you want it because if the No. 6 is being tracked it means it will be 2v2 in midfield and it will be easier to give a good pass. People were complaining about our No. 10s last season not being able to do anything on the ball and I think that was partly because it was 3v3 in midfield and congested.

goin4glory

Adding Herrera allows us to carry Pogba, not Schneiderlin. And on current form Pogba should be playing on the right or not at all anyway.
Schneiderlin was added as a DM last night so we could play a 4-3-3 and use Pogba higher up. It's anyone's guess who Mourinho will look to partner down the line but I doubt he goes back to 4-2-3-1 and if Schneiderlin is involved it'll be as a DM. Pogba on the right what?

He hasn't ever been "excellent at defending vs counter attacks and breaking up play" for us and we didn't look "much more solid defensively last night".
Yes he has. Southampton had one of the best defensive records in the league with him and conceded very few chances from central areas. They created almost nothing last night bar the goal which was offside and down to Rojo.

He played alongside a more disciplined defensive midfielder in Wanyama. This gave him a little more freedom to press the ball when the opposition have it, and move forward more when in possession. It's really quite obvious that he can't play effectively in a disciplined role.

Our squad hasn't got the right blend of midfielders, we have no one bar Carrick that has that discipline and positional sense to anchor the midfield and allow others to flourish. Pogba / Herrera / Fellaini / Schneiderlin all need that and should be competing for two other slots in central midfield imo. It's no coincidence that Pogba has been proven with an anchoring partner in a midfield 3, Herrera and Fellaini showed their best form for us when playing together with Carrick anchoring, and Schneiderlin performed best alongside Wanyama and Davis (whom he both outscored in his final season at the Southampton).
It's not obvious at all that he can't play a disciplined role, he shouldn't be taking the blame for our attacking players looking anonymous.

Yes it's really difficult to outscore Wanyama and Davis over a full season when they managed 3 goals combined, great logic. Schneiderlin has 14 goals in 230 league appearances for Southampton half of those being in the championship, anyone who claims he's box to box is utterly delusional.

criticalanalysis

This was my impression watching the game. Herrera needs to take more playmaking responsibility. Him and Schneirdelin both. Scholes mentioned it in his post match. You can't be a midfielder in United who only concentrates on defending.
I think it's a confidence and instruction thing. He's probably just happy to be on the pitch and doesn't want to play hero ball with LVG at the back of his mind. I mean let's be honest he's probably gonna get dropped on Sunday. Then there's the fact Herera has said several times of what the manager expects of him with Mourinho praising his energy and mentality etc.

So he's been given a job to do when he's on the pitch and for the backing and minutes on the pitch, he's sticking to it to a tee.

Hopefully he'll become a regular and get games because he has very good abilities to be that 'pass before the assist' guy. Very tidy feet, offers plenty of movement, good first touch and can play a ball forward all in one instance. The way we play atm, if we're gonna play a a double pivot, we don't really need Fellani's presence or defensive attributes. We just need to be more assertive on and off the ball to off set the situation we have now where we're inviting the opposition by sitting back and being reactive, which can suit Fellani.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
He seems to lack the mentality to do well at United (something I think Fellaini has).

A year ago Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian and Depay were going to make us title contenders. Disastrous transfer window by LVG

prath92

We won 3-2 vs Southampton last in 12/13 (when he was there that is. We won 3-2 with him in our team)

13/14
1-1 (H)
1-1 (A)

14/15
2-1(A)
0-1(H)

He had improved very well in the last 2 seasons he was there.

worldinmotion66

It's not obvious at all that he can't play a disciplined role, he shouldn't be taking the blame for our attacking players looking anonymous.

Yes it's really difficult to outscore Wanyama and Davis over a full season when they managed 3 goals combined, great logic. Schneiderlin has 14 goals in 230 league appearances for Southampton half of those being in the championship, anyone who claims he's box to box is utterly delusional.
The goal scoring was more of a side note considering that they are the two players that he mostly played alongside that season. I think my idea of box to box and yours probably differ considerably though, I don't expect them to contribute many goals, particularly a more defensive box to box like Schneiderlin. I expect him to cover a lot of ground and contribute at both ends of the pitch, and I could see him providing a good balance alongside Pogba who is a more offensive minded box to box player.

Pogba - Schneiderlin
Carrick/Blind
I think this works well and makes the most of Pogba and Schneiderlin's attributes, but I think it is more effective in a pressing system, which Mourinho is clearly not keen on. Schneiderlin can do a job anchoring a midfield but it really negates his greatest assets.

Redtilldead84

Another that seems to have left his talent at the door! Is it us as a club or is it every player that walks through the door??? Not sure every player we buy can just loose all there talent once they play for us! We used to be about expressing ourselves but now we're scared to death of it!

notcool

Supports
a
I think a lot of people mean by box to box a No. 8 in 4-2-3-1 and they use box to box to distinguish the position from the more disciplined role of the No. 6. I think a probably better term could be used for it but, by what they mean by the term, I don't think they are wrong in calling Schneiderlin a box to box. Of course, the other side is right too: Schneiderlin's role for Southampton was quite a bit different to say Fletcher's/Hargreaves' role for us in our 4-3-3.

Redtilldead84

That was exactly the point I was making.

Also if you believe Schneiderlins performances to have been poor for a year and that is justification for him not getting another chance then by your logic half the Utd team should be banished for exactly the same reason - you would be struggling to field 11 players.
Yesss!! I know I'm struggling I couldn't put a decent 11 together!

United22

He has become crap here but stop trying to push some false narrative that he was shit at Southampton now, its embarrassing. Just look at how excited we all were on here when we signed him last season...