What are Schneiderlin's greatest attributes?

Hed Zitin

His number one attribute is pressing to win the ball back. He's pretty screwed under this tactic of sitting back and containing.

goin4glory

I think most understand that he's a defensive midfielder, and most of us were excited when we got him and Schweinsteiger in. Last season I kept watching him wandering around with all the action taking place around him.
Unfortunately there's plenty of posters who don't seem to realise he's a DM, just look at half of the comments in this thread. We were incredibly solid tonight and he did well with his tackles/duels. I do agree he needs to be more adventurous on the ball but the team is constantly changing personnel and system. Mourinho needs to make a long term decision on which system suits our best players and work with it.

I'd consider it if I had to watch Schneiderlin every week. Luckily that's incredibly unlikely. Unfortunately I have higher expectations than a shit centre back in midfield.
Yeah just quit.

Some were calling him a box-to-box midfielder before he even joined us proving it's unfair to generalise like that.
I don't disagree. It's incredible how people fire off opinions on players they really don't have a clue about. The male ego is an incredible thing.

Dominos

Out of interest, are any of the people claiming he's useless professing they said so whilst he was at Southampton and when it was announced we'd signed him?

acnumber9

Unfortunately there's plenty of posters who don't seem to realise he's a DM, just look at half of the comments in this thread. We were incredibly solid tonight and he did well with his tackles/duels. I do agree he needs to be more adventurous on the ball but the team is constantly changing personnel and system. Mourinho needs to make a long term decision on which system suits our best players and work with it.

Yeah just quit.

I don't disagree. It's incredible how people fire off opinions on players they really don't have a clue about. The male ego is an incredible thing.
From a man acting like anyone who disagrees with his view is beneath them this is quite funny.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Schneiderlin is a good player for a decent team. He's not flashy, but a decent midfielder. Not sure what United ever expected from him. He's not a world beater, never would be.

what a mess

Be careful what you say. Anyone who questions Schneiderlin's ability doesn't have a clue about football apparently. I've called him out from day one. Never wanted him and never rated him and always get a lot of stick for it but I don't care. He should have stayed at Southampton seeing as that was when he played his best football. I actually think the move to Everton would have been good for him. But he is nowhere near United standard. That also applies to a few other United players not just him.
Totally agree mate I've never seen the positives in this guy he is in my opinion bang average ideally suited to Southampton or somewhere like Stoke etc never has been or will be good nough for us

goin4glory

From a man acting like anyone who disagrees with his view is beneath them this is quite funny.
There's plenty of good discussion to be had on Schneiderlins role in the team and I have plenty of questions myself going forward, I'm not some fanboy who thinks he should start every game but posters who claim he's a box to box CM or needs to get more goals/assists to justify his position really have no idea what they're talking about. Might as well start claiming Pogba is a 10. Total nonsense.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Out of interest, are any of the people claiming he's useless professing they said so whilst he was at Southampton and when it was announced we'd signed him?
Yes. I never wanted him. Awful player.

ur2cdanger

The most important attribute of him is his a strange combination of (stamina + pressing + pace) which he uses for winning the ball back. If you expect him to give defense splitting passes, no chance of that at all. He would be pretty much useless for a team that is attacking most of the time in the game. He would be important in a team which tries to combat quick passing and transition. Liverpool, Arsenal, Leicester for example in this season. Not that I am supporting his performances or asking to build our play to suit him. But his attributes are not suited to our team. He would be good in a team that places fast and higher up to run back and win back possession if they lose higher up the field. He would be a good player for a team like Spurs or Liverpool.

acnumber9

There's plenty of good discussion to be had on Schneiderlins role in the team and I have plenty of questions myself going forward, I'm not some fanboy who thinks he should start every game but posters who claim he's a box to box CM or needs to get more goals/assists to justify his position really have no idea what they're talking about. Might as well start claiming Pogba is a 10. Total nonsense.
A midfielder needs to be able to do more than win a few tackles. There's no huge thing people are missing. Nobody's asking for loads of goals and assists. Simply that he contributes more than one facet of being a midfielder. There's a reason why he isn't playing regularly and it makes your superior opinion look stupid.

Deleted member 101472

I think he is out of his depth personally, but with the right coaching he can be an effective enough player for us so long as the emphasis is on attacking- and he has no part in it.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
worst offensive off the ball movement since Darron Gibson.

goin4glory

A midfielder needs to be able to do more than win a few tackles. There's no huge thing people are missing. Nobody's asking for loads of goals and assists. Simply that he contributes more than one facet of being a midfielder. There's a reason why he isn't playing regularly and it makes your superior opinion look stupid.
Number 1 in the premier league at tackles and interceptions isn't "winning a few tackles" it's the primary purpose of his position. Just the same way as number 1 in the league with goals and assists isn't "scoring a few goals".

He's never been creative or got involved in the final 3rd, he's an out and out DM who needs to be partnered correctly.

criticalanalysis

Out of context video but here he looks like he's doing okay in a defensive sense?

On the same channel, there's everyone's individual highlights (the editor is fast and precise!).

Having watched Herrera's, whilst he was good on the ball, he perhaps should have taken more responsbility to orchestrate play rather than recycle possession and win balls back.

With Pogba, it look like he wanted to drive forward more and wanted more pace in the game.

Mourinho tactics?

Sat back far too much. Didn't take the initiative.

Eddy_JukeZ

Don't understand the hate he's getting. I thought he was one of a few who were decent tonight. He wins the ball back for us, that's his job and he does it well.
Not enough.

He's a midfielder at Manchester United. More should be demanded.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Out of context video but here he looks like he's doing okay in a defensive sense?

On the same channel, there's everyone's individual highlights (the editor is fast and precise!).

Having watched Herrera's, whilst he was good on the ball, he perhaps should have taken more responsbility to orchestrate play rather than recycle possession and win balls back.

With Pogba, it look like he wanted to drive forward more and wanted more pace in the game.

Mourinho tactics?

As I said in the Match Day thread, I can't remember what he looks like. tbf though, watching the video, and once I worked out who we were supposed to be looking at, he actually looked quite good.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Knee Jerk Reaction. Before he came to United, he was one of the best holding midfielder in the league with some of the best defensive stats for a midfielder. He needs to be giving more gametime and he will regain the extended form he had with Southamptom

Runner

He was so good at Southampton with Wanyama. It's a real shame we haven't been able to get the best out of him yet. There's a very good player in there.

Listar

To people saying he is a DM, please tell me what traits should a world class DM possess and then show me the stats for schnederlin. Based on yesterday match I would think his interceptions tackling and passing will be the least of all players.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

To people saying he is a DM, please tell me what traits should a world class DM possess and then show me the stats for schnederlin. Based on yesterday match I would think his interceptions tackling and passing will be the least of all players.
He did well defensively imo, breaking up several attacks.

People expect him to show more on the ball though.

Ephrem

I just do not know what this guy brings to the football pitch. So I found his FIFA 17 attributes, and I'm wondering if EA are being a little generous here.

He rarely shoots, never scores, can't tackle, not much of a passer, not much pace, never crosses the ball.
What does he do well?
He had a bad game but what exactly pogba did in the 4 games then? can somebody point out that for me.. I'm not comparing both but just a little curious

podurban2

Knee Jerk Reaction. Before he came to United, he was one of the best holding midfielder in the league with some of the best defensive stats for a midfielder. He needs to be giving more gametime and he will regain the extended form he had with Southamptom
I hope so, question is if there is time to give him since we need to start racking up points asap. And I don't see Jose as much of a long-term thinking manager...

Jinn

Him and Memphis = 50mil spent.
There's your Vidal money.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He's the hide 'n' seek champion of the world.
It would seem so.

I was chuffed when we signed him since he really bossed it at Southampton, but he hasn't brought that form with him here. Defensive wise hes competent, but in modern football a top club need their DM to be more than a water carrier.

That being said, Pogba has been pretty poor as well, in fact the only MF who has been consistently good is Fellaini. Anyways, it's evident that our MF has not clicked yet, and Jose has to figure out a system that gets the best out of everyone.

Maybe Blind should be given a chance at DM? Hes not as good a tackler as Schneiderlin, but much better at reading the game and a much, much better passer.

Classical Mechanic

It would seem so.

I was chuffed when we signed him since he really bossed it at Southampton, but he hasn't brought that form with him here. Defensive wise hes competent, but in modern football a top club need their DM to be more than a water carrier.

That being said, Pogba has been pretty poor as well, in fact the only MF who has been consistently good is Fellaini. Anyways, it's evident that our MF has not clicked yet, and Jose has to figure out a system that gets the best out of everyone.

Maybe Blind should be given a chance at DM? Hes not as good a tackler as Schneiderlin, but much better at reading the game and a much, much better passer.
We missed Fellani more than anyone last night, he would have dealt with their physical attackers and the long balls down the centre.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Mourinho tactics?

This was my impression watching the game. Herrera needs to take more playmaking responsibility. Him and Schneirdelin both. Scholes mentioned it in his post match. You can't be a midfielder in United who only concentrates on defending.

I remember reading Keane's book where he mentions that about a year or so after he transferred to United, Bryan Robson had a talk with him (on a night out, funny enough) and said Keane needed to take more responsibility in building up play. Keane had deferring that to Paul Ince at the time, because he didn't feel confident enough.

Now I don't know whether it's Mourinho's tactics or not but Herrera and Schneirdelin could do with a talk similar to that.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He won the ball back however many times yesterday and the OP suggests he's shit at tackling? Some people can't wait to stick the boot in.

This was my impression watching the game. Herrera needs to take more playmaking responsibility. Him and Schneirdelin both. Scholes mentioned it in his post match. You can't be a midfielder in United who only concentrates on defending.

I remember reading Keane's book where he mentions that about a year or so after he transferred to United, Bryan Robson had a talk with him (on a night out, funny enough) and said Keane needed to take more responsibility in building up play. Keane had deferring that to Paul Ince at the time, because he didn't feel confident enough.

Now I don't know whether it's Mourinho's tactics or not but Herrera and Schneirdelin could do with a talk similar to that.
We played O'shea in midfield plenty of times in Scholes/Fergie days didn't we?

Watch the video of his performance and you'll see him involved in winning the ball back about a dozen times, how can you question his tackling and interceptions? I can completely understand those questioning his passing, but when his,ability to win the ball back is criticised it verges on ridiculous.

Last edited: