What are Schneiderlin's greatest attributes?

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If i remember correctly he lost the ball before they scored? So our DM, who's supposed to win the ball and break their play lost the ball prior to their goal.

acnumber9

Number 1 in the premier league at tackles and interceptions isn't "winning a few tackles" it's the primary purpose of his position. Just the same way as number 1 in the league with goals and assists isn't "scoring a few goals".

He's never been creative or got involved in the final 3rd, he's an out and out DM who needs to be partnered correctly.
He hasn't been that for Man Utd though so I don't know why you keep quoting it. It also ignores that there's a lot more to be a midfielder than that. Chris Smalling could win some tackles in midfield too. He needs to be able to pass.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's a fraud. Almost makes me long for Bastian.

His biggest achievement seems to be conning a number of people into thinking he's any good even though he does sweet feck all in games.

Drainy

He's like our Thomas Graverson to Real Madrid signing.

Very good at a smaller club as the 8 but not good enough there for a big club so played in a holding role.

parisite

Guy needs to get as far away from Utd as possible. Came as a good player and for some reason has become a total non-entity. Wanted to leave this summer I believe and was held back by José for some reason or other.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think that performance against Chelsea for Southampton sums him up as a player.

Great at breaking up attacks, but lacks on the ball.

Good player for Southampton, average/decent player for Manchester United.

Verbalkint

I saw a lot of it for Southampton, he also started last season well for us.
I second this post. I watched him against Arsenal during his Southampton days and he totally bossed them around in midfield. Back then i thought he'd be good to have at OT. And yes, like some posters here i think he's a good tackler and can be a real hard man. Players like him who tend to go about their business with minimum fuss tend to be overlooked and under appreciated. Even Michael Carrick who's been a fine player for us and central to our success in the SAF era has been victim to this.

Personally, I think he'd benefit if he had more playing time and he'd eventually be good foil for Paul Pogba.

Tiber

Why would you bring fifa into what I assume was meant to be proper debate?

LilWayneHQ

I've never been a fan of Schneiderlin. I said when we first bought him he is not good enough for Man United.

tomaldinho1

Good player....who's had zero chance or a run of games to prove his ability. Even when he played well last season, was dropped the following game.
This. He was incredible for Southampton before we signed him and has never played in a settled team since. Noone really did well under VG and he has barely had a chance to show what he can do.

He is best used IMO as an anchor type player, he won't be spraying Hollywood passes around but he is better on the ball than Fellaini and is great at shielding the 2 CBs. Unless Mou wants to play him in that position we may as well sell him as isn't really getting any game time and atm he appears to be behind pretty much every CM in the pecking irder.

thepolice123

Playing under his skin and lacking confidence at the moment. But I think he can be the solution to one of our Long term problems if we show a little bit more faith in him.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's had one game under a new manager where the entire team was lifeless... and this thread is created?

You'd think, after the last three seasons, we'd just be a little bit more patient.

red_john

He is good at tackling and closing down when instructed. He seems out of his depth playing for us. Probably won't be here next season unless he bucks up.

sugar_kane

He was great at Southampton but I wonder if he's better suited to a club like them.

Not sure if a team who want to challenge for the top honours can accommodate an out an out DM without much passing flair.

He probably will come in handy when we need to play defensively, but I can't see him being a regular starter, and that would be a shame for someone of his quality. I think he will get sold next Summer.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's just not very good at anything. It's that simple.

He could try to compensate by being good at picking up opposition players or generally working harder than anyone else, but he doesn't do that either. In fact he's probably the worst of all our midfielders for this.

goin4glory

He hasn't been that for Man Utd though so I don't know why you keep quoting it. It also ignores that there's a lot more to be a midfielder than that. Chris Smalling could win some tackles in midfield too. He needs to be able to pass.
Because that's who he was when we signed him and it's what you should expect from his performances. He's a DM whose major strength is tackles/interceptions and breaking up counters etc Makalele and Matic don't offer much more than the defensive side of the game but both get lauded because they're used correctly with attacking CM partners.

acnumber9

Because that's who he was when we signed him and it's what you should expect from his performances. He's a DM whose major strength is tackles/interceptions and breaking up counters etc Makalele and Matic don't offer much more than the defensive side of the game but both get lauded because they're used correctly with attacking CM partners.
I'm not saying it's his fault he's incredibly limited. It's the fault of the man who signed him. Utd need a midfielder that can actually control a midfield and get the ball into our attack in good positions. Schneiderlin is incapable of it and is an incredibly limited player. It's not his fault but that doesn't mean I can't say he isn't good enough.

ghagua

He is a box to box all round midfield player. He is able to do a holding midfield role if required. What he is not is another "Pirlo", something we have known before he sighed for United, and something we should not expect him to become. It is up to the other midfielders to bring creativity to the team.

goin4glory

He is a box to box all round midfield player. He is able to do a holding midfield role if required. What he is not is another "Pirlo", something we have known before he sighed for United, and something we should not expect him to become. It is up to the other midfielders to bring creativity to the team.
There's a difference between a deep lying playmaker and a DM. Matic isn't Pirlo either and Schneiderlin has never been a box to box midfielder, claiming he is is total nonsense.

ghagua

There's a difference between a deep lying playmaker and a DM. Matic isn't Pirlo either and Schneiderlin has never been a box to box midfielder, claiming he is is total nonsense.
You never watched him at Southampton then. Wanyama was the holding midfielder and Schneiderlin was the box to box player. What exactly are you looking for from Schneiderlin?

ash_86

His first game into the season and people already want him out while players who have played every game are still performing at below standards. Give it a rest people.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
How is he a box to box all round midfield player when, he can't pass, can't shoot, doesn't create anything, has no pace, no agility, can't read the game, goes missing nearly every game. If he is an all round box to box player then he should be right in the middle of the action but in fact he does the least of any player on the pitch. He puts in a tackle here and there I give him that but still not often enough. He has been anonymous for 90% of the games he has played for us.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Nah I think he is a good player but just not good enough. Keep him as a squad player for now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he just needs a run of games tbh. Bit harsh to write him off when he played in a limited LVG system and barely been given a chance under Mourinho.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't understand how people could think he did a good job pressing yesterday. No energy, lazy, talentless impostor.

goin4glory

You never watched him at Southampton then. Wanyama was the holding midfielder and Schneiderlin was the box to box player. What exactly are you looking for from Schneiderlin?
Think it's you who never watched him for Southampton. He was ranked first in the league for tackles/interceptions and played alongside Wanyama for 2 of his 6 seasons there. His defensive numbers were off the charts whereas his offensive numbers are non existent. To be frank about it anyone who claims he's a box to box CM I'm just ignoring from now on because you really don't have a clue.

How is he a box to box all round midfield player when, he can't pass, can't shoot, doesn't create anything, has no pace, no agility, can't read the game, goes missing nearly every game. If he is an all round box to box player then he should be right in the middle of the action but in fact he does the least of any player on the pitch. He puts in a tackle here and there I give him that but still not often enough. He has been anonymous for 90% of the games he has played for us.
He's got plenty of pace/athleticism which is why he's excellent at defending vs counter attacks and breaking up play. He's a DM so he's not supposed to be taking many shots or creating opportunities, he's there to do the defensive work and free up other players to go forward which is why Mourinho tried him next to Pogba in a 4-3-3. We looked much more solid defensively last night it's hardly his fault Mata was anonymous and Rojo is a mid table player.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Think it's you who never watched him for Southampton. He was ranked first in the league for tackles/interceptions and played alongside Wanyama for 2 of his 6 seasons there. His defensive numbers were off the charts whereas his offensive numbers are non existent. To be frank about it anyone who claims he's a box to box CM I'm just ignoring from now on because you really don't have a clue.

He's got plenty of pace/athleticism which is why he's excellent at defending vs counter attacks and breaking up play. He's a DM so he's not supposed to be taking many shots or creating opportunities, he's there to do the defensive work and free up other players to go forward which is why Mourinho tried him next to Pogba in a 4-3-3. We looked much more solid defensively last night it's hardly his fault Mata was anonymous and Rojo is a mid table player.
We looked much more solid because we had 3 fecking centre mids against fecking Feyenoord, rather than 2 against City.

goin4glory

We looked much more solid because we had 3 fecking centre mids against fecking Feyenoord, rather than 2 against City.
Right, and one of those CM's against City has no idea how to play in a MF 2 and leaves us completely exposed over and over. Adding Schneiderlin allows us to get the best out of Pogba.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think he just needs a run of games tbh. Bit harsh to write him off when he played in a limited LVG system and barely been given a chance under Mourinho.
Perhaps we should give every player who plays absolutely awfully whenever they're selected a run of games. I can see this being a very successful approach.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Some players may not be the most talented but are able to perform certain functions very well in a team that then allows the more talented players to play better because of the work being done around them by the less talented player doing a lot of the unheralded (but very important) graft next to them. Schneiderlin is one of those players, he is very good at what he does and could be the key to the likes of Pogba perhaps being able to focus on what he does best and getting the best out of him.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd rather give Blind a chance in the team as a DM than Schniederlin tbh. I'm not sure he's good enough there either but he showed more in the games he played there under LVG than Schneiderlin has, and that's despite Blind playing there in some impossible system where he was basically the only midfielder.