What do we still need? Post Summer 2015 edition.

Dong Fangzhuo

Your hypothetical scenario will never arrive. Spurs are not in the market for players that cost £60m and/or want huge wages. I'm content for United to pursue all the expensive players out there in attempt to buy your way out of decline.
So we're basically in agreement that Spurs are not competition for United for players at the top end of the market. Obviously lower profile players (for example signings like Aldeweireld and Alli in 2015) where the money on offer is going to be a lot closer is where those other factors you listed are going to play a role in the players decision.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We really don't need much. We have an exciting front 3/4. A very solid defence in Smalling/Blind and when shaw is back we will also have solid full backs in him and fensah/Valencia. We need one creative midfielder that can take players on such as Veratti. Carrick is old enough to slow us down now.

Rooney has to be sold and we have to have a run with no injuries whatsoever. LVG will have to let these players play on instinct otherwise we will never realIze their creative potentials

Devil may care

I don't think we have an exciting front 3 or 4, we have 2 very young but exceptionally exciting talents in Martial and Rashford, but we need to add a couple of pieces of attacking quality to the mix.

Spock

Fix the manager problem with Jose. Then bring in Ronaldo.

Problem solved.

M4nu4Life

One Centre Back who is ready to go.
Two centre mids who can pass and defend. Ideally One young and ready to go.
One Striker to take the load of the young guys. Happy for an older player.
One right winger.
Do not sign another number 10

Sell
Fellaini
Mata
Rooney

bucky

He'd be a good signing, I reckon. But it would mean the end for Varela and one of Valencia or Darmian. Might be harsh, but we need to make those decisions.

One Centre Back who is ready to go.
Two centre mids who can pass and defend. Ideally One young and ready to go.
One Striker to take the load of the young guys. Happy for an older player.
One right winger.
Do not sign another number 10

Sell
Fellaini
Mata
Rooney
Agree with all of that, especially the players you want to sell.

Devil may care

He'd be a good signing, I reckon. But it would mean the end for Varela and one of Valencia or Darmian. Might be harsh, but we need to make those decisions.

I imagine Varela and Darmian would the 2 to exit.

Mike09

Top quality right back for starting eleven, proper good left back because we have been missing Luke Shaw due to injuries for two seasons, Carrick's replacement to control and dictate the tempo, world class striker so we don't have to depend on a teenager Rashford, right winger because we don't have any. Just saying that these 5 positions what we have been missing this season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Top quality right back for starting eleven, proper good left back because we have been missing Luke Shaw due to injuries for two seasons, Carrick's replacement to control and dictate the tempo, world class striker so we don't have to depend on a teenager Rashford, right winger because we don't have any. Just saying that these 5 positions what we have been missing this season.
Left back position is fine with Shaw and CBJ IMO.

I still think that Darmian will come good, though maybe I am a bit biased there.

Hard to disagree with CM, RW and Striker position though. We desperately need top players in those three positions.

Fer

Players I would sign:
  • Laporte
  • Gundogan
  • Dembele
  • Griezmann
  • Kane

But if Mourinho is our next manager, Stones would be more realistic, same as Ibrahimovic. Also, it seems that we are going to sign Sanches. But I'm not sure which winger Mourinho could target, however, he wanted Griezmann when he was at Chelsea.

Devil may care

If the plan is to bring in some proven quality, especially in attack where we have a lot of young players, then I think we have to surely be looking at Griezmann's buyout and the fact James is on the outs at Real, those 2 and Ibra seem the ones more attainable this summer to me.

Fer

If the plan is to bring in some proven quality, especially in attack where we have a lot of young players, then I think we have to surely be looking at Griezmann's buyout and the fact James is on the outs at Real, those 2 and Ibra seem the ones more attainable this summer to me.
The problem with James is that I can see Mourinho playing Rooney as CAM if we sign a new striker. Also we have Herrera and Mata (if he stays). Januzaj and Pereira are other options in that position, but it depends on the opportunities that they would have under a new manager. But James is a possibility if we sign a new #10.

Talking about realistic targets... Would you be satisfied if we end up with Stones, Sanches and Ibrahimovic? And, which right winger do you think Mourinho could target?

RedorDead21

The problem with James is that I can see Mourinho playing Rooney as CAM if we sign a new striker. Also we have Herrera and Mata (if he stays). Januzaj and Pereira are other options in that position, but it depends on the opportunities that they would have under a new manager. But James is a possibility if we sign a new #10.

Talking about realistic targets... Would you be satisfied if we end up with Stones, Sanches and Ibrahimovic? And, which right winger do you think Mourinho could target?
Stones has struggled at Everton there is no chance he should top our list of CBs. He would be expensive as he's English. He plays the ball but more often of late its into trouble. Vastly overrated at the moment.

Devil may care

I can't see much point in us bringing Ibra in if Rooney stays, they occupy the same spaces on the pitch, Ibra is not a target man, he plays as more of a false 9 where he drops in to get involved in the build up. Rooney is pretty crap as an AM but if he plays there it's imperative that we have a #9 that can press and stretch the back 4 to create space and passing options, that's not Ibra.

I think Sanches has potential and I do think we'll buy him but we could do with a playmaker in midfield to replace Carrick. As for Stones, he's had a terrible second half to the season but I still think he'll come good under a coach that understands defending.

NoPace

Least amount of changes while still having a proper team:

Martial(Memphis)---Striker(Rashford)-----RW(Mata)
------------CM(Mata)---------Herrera(Schwein)--------
-----------------Schneiderlin(Blind)---------------------
Shaw(CBJ)-----------------------------Darmian(Varela)
----------LCB(Blind)--Smalling(Fosu-Mensah)---------
----------------------De Gea(Romero)------------------

with Valencia/Young as veteran wide cover, Lingard for general front 5 depth and one of Jones/Rojo sticking around as defensive depth, along with youngsters not on loan, primarily McNair, Pereira, Januzaj and Wilson, though others could emerge as depth options.

Sold: Rooney, Fellaini, Valencia/Young, Jones/Rojo. Carrick moves on a free transfer. That should generate enough funds to cover one of the 4 transfers with the Prem's new money bumping up veteran Prem talent and China or whoever coming in for Rooney.

podurban2

Martial---Zlatan----Griezman
----Gundogan---Herrera
--------Schnedeirlin
Shaw-Ramos-Smalling-Darmian
-----------DDG

• Subs: GK, Blind, Rashford, TFM, Lingard, Memphis, Varela
  • Sell: Mata, Rooney, Young, Fellaini, Jones
  • Loan: Pereira

Would hope to get 2 new midfielders but that will probably never happen...

I wounder how much Gundogan-Ramos-Griezman would cost realistically.

RedorDead21

If Maureen comes in I think he'll go for:

Varane - Said he's the best young CB around.
Griezmann - Well he won't be the only one in for him.
Willian - He's the only stand out for him at Chelsea and exactly what he likes to see in CM.
Ibra - He's free and it makes sense albeit not to me.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Martial(Lingard) - Zlatan(Rashford) - Mahrez(Januzaj)
Herrera(Pereira) - Zielinski(Fellaini)
Xhaka(Carrick)
Shaw(CBJ) - Blind(Rojo) - Smalling(TFM) - Valencia(Varela)
DDG(Romero)​

Devil may care

All these lovely Rooneyless line-ups, alas it will not come to pass IMO. :( Whether it's the horrendous 3rd season of vangle or the first season of Jose, the Teflon potato is dug in for at least another year I think, hopefully phasing him out will begin properly over the course of next season.

Fer

If next season we play with a front of 3....

do you prefer to sign 2 wide players like: Griezmann and Mahrez/Dembele (with Martial/Rashford as strikers)?

or

do you prefer Martial as left wide forward and sign a striker like: Kane and 1 player of Griezmann/Mahrez/Dembele?

JoaquinJoaquin

All these lovely Rooneyless line-ups, alas it will not come to pass IMO. :( Whether it's the horrendous 3rd season of vangle or the first season of Jose, the Teflon potato is dug in for at least another year I think, hopefully phasing him out will begin properly over the course of next season.
Yup, I thought the same. He will play by hook or by crook, In that midfield though unfortunately. Then, after the initial first good few weeks his form will tail off and the usual excuses will come into play and he will be moved round in positions.

itso 7

Yup, I thought the same. He will play by hook or by crook, In that midfield though unfortunately. Then, after the initial first good few weeks his form will tail off and the usual excuses will come into play and he will be moved round in positions.
Sadly this

Devil may care

It looks like the Renato Sanches deal will happen and Rooney will be trying to be a CM from now on, so

CB - Stones/Marquinhos/Koulibaly/Maksimovic (not bothered which)
CM - Renato Sanches
CM - Saul/Andre Gomes/Kroos
RWF - Griezmann/Joao Mario/Mkhitaryan
Striker - Ibra/Lacazette (Can't think of any others)

I could also see a young talent like Adam Ounas or Gabriel Jesus being added.

Rednotdead

We seem to need more players with every match we play. My take on it is :

Right back - A proper right back, not a winger filling in.

Central defence - A player with a commanding presence, someone who won't be bossed by the likes of Huth and Morgan.

Midfield - A creative player plus a player who can actually hit his target with a pass and not keep giving the ball away.

Front - An out and out goalscorer, intelligent and mobile.

That's just the bare minimum. It does beg the question - what the hell has Van Gaal been up to these last 2 years when we're still so far away from having a team?

SoCross

A winger, a midfielder and a striker in that order. TFM can cover the backline so I wouldn't prioritise a defender unless we get rid of Rojo.

Fer

Looking that Kane is unrealistic, Gundogan and Dembele could sign for City and Dortmund. Plus the rumors about Zlatan wages... I would like to see these players:

CB-
Laporte
CM- Kroos
AM- Griezmann
RW- Sane
ST - Lacazette

However, we need a plan B because the top teams will also look for the best available players.

Last edited:

John Blund

GK - If we keep DDG - none, else Perin, Leno or Navas (lol). I think Lloris is out of reach as Spurs gets CL.
Defenders - Let's just get Alves. We got youngsters coming up. I'd also like to se a stronger playing CB than Blind..
CM - Renato Sanches. The more I've seen of him, the better I find him. If not - Dembele is a beast..
RW - Leicester: How much you want for Mahrez? OK, we'll take him.
ST - Hello Ibra..

buckooo1978

Looking that Kane is unrealistic, Gundogan and Dembele could sign for City and Dortmund. Plus the rumors about Zlatan wages... I would like to see these players:

CB-
Laporte
CM- Kroos
AM- Griezmann
RW- Sane
ST - Lacazette

However, we need a plan B because the top teams will also look for the best available players.
they would be great signings and address obvious weaknesses in the team

not sure about going into the next season with Valencia/Darmian as first choice though

Long Ball

GK - if de Gea goes (LVG stays he's off. If mourinho comes in we may just keep big Dave) I'm going to make an emotional choice here and vote Kasper Schmeichel. Why not? It would be a great connection for the fans I get behind him and he's been really impressive at leiscester. I know he's been a journeyman so far (including city?) but could be the time to step up.

CB - why not give fosu-mensah a try? He looks like a complete beast who could handle a scrap

Midfield is a really tough one. 4-3-3 requires only one signing - Pogba/Barkley/Sanches

4-2-3-1 for me requires another defensive/deep playmaker and a new number 10. James would look an astute signing. Can Sanches play that deeper role?

Right wing dream signing is griezeman but it's not exactly his best position. Mahrez would prob be our best bet.

Striker I'd like to bring in Zlatan as cover for a year. Kane would be perfect but again not gonna happen. Aubameyang?

entropy

A top notch striker and a creative midfielder would be a good start. But then again, if we miss out on cl it will be hard to get any of the top players. Mane shouldn't be tough to sign?

Devil may care

Given the players we are linked with and taking into account Rooney wont be going I wouldn't mind seeing this as our starting 11 come August.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Go all out for Greizmann, firstly. He's the biggest no-brainer of a signing that there's been in ages. He's a United fan, and young enough to be able to do without CL football for one season. He's also the best footballer around not at a club that pays huge salaries. Also, he's not a winger as some have posted here. He's far far more suited to being a #10/second striker. Basically he replaces Mata/Lingard/Rooney/Fellaini in that central attacking role.

For ST and RW, I'd go for Ibra, and Dembele/Sane.

As for the other positions, I believe they aren't as big a priority but if we do sign players then,

CB - Giminez is the best young CB presently of the ones I've seen (no idea why he'd move though). Otherwise someone cheaper, older and less expensive. I've heard Manolas at Roma is good.
CM - Saul (in addition to Sanchez it appears, Carrick and Fellaini to go probably)

Can anyone think of a potentially top class attacking right back who is not at a big club? Darmian looks like he could become a Heinze-type solid fullback, but we could do with a bigger threat in attack.

Dong Fangzhuo

Can't be bothered to go back and check if last month's me had a different opinion but looking at the squad I think a CB, CM and RW are absolute musts. After that a striker and either a 2nd CB or 2nd CM, depending on departures. I'd list striker among the priorities if I knew what's going to happen with Rooney.

Don't watch a lot of continental football so most of these suggestions are based on what I've read about our supposed targets in the media and seen on youtube.

CB: Varane/Marquinhos/Manolas/Koulibaly. Don't have much of an opinion here, just as long as we don't blow 50m on Stones.

CM: It's kind of amazing to think we're still lacking so many attributes in CM after signing 5 CM's post Fergie. Energy, pace, drive, pressing ability in someone like Sanches or Kante or creation from someone like Kroos or Gomes? Ideally we'd get both, but I think passing and creation are more important here.

RW: I like the look of Joao Mario here. CM turned RW, seems to be creative enough and would give the side defensive balance while allowing Martial more freedom to focus on attack from LW. Would also allow us to seamlessly switch between 4231 and 433, or even playing some kind of 4231/433 hybrid system with a left footer placed nominally on the right, but drifting centrally and doing most of his attacking work there. Could be the player that allows us to sign Griezmann and play 433 without really having to play him out of position.

Striker/forward: Not sure what we should be looking for here. I'd like to see Martial move up top eventually, and then there's Rashford's development to consider as well. Zlatan or Higuain maybe. Or someone younger, with a lesser profile that won't expect to be an automatic starter like Lacazette/Janssen. Don't want us to blow our load on Lukaku, I'm not at all convinced by him and he'll cost an absolute bomb. Same kind of goes for Aubameyang, not sure he's anywhere near worth ~world record money.

5th signing: Either a 2nd CB or CM. With Jones permacrocked and showing very little progress, Rojo being a sunday league footballer at best and our young CB's not quite ready to be 3rd/4th choice, I think a 2nd CB is a more pressing need.

Ole90+3

Go all out for Greizmann, firstly. He's the biggest no-brainer of a signing that there's been in ages. He's a United fan, and young enough to be able to do without CL football for one season. He's also the best footballer around not at a club that pays huge salaries. Also, he's not a winger as some have posted here. He's far far more suited to being a #10/second striker. Basically he replaces Mata/Lingard/Rooney/Fellaini in that central attacking role.

For ST and RW, I'd go for Ibra, and Dembele/Sane.

As for the other positions, I believe they aren't as big a priority but if we do sign players then,

CB - Giminez is the best young CB presently of the ones I've seen (no idea why he'd move though). Otherwise someone cheaper, older and less expensive. I've heard Manolas at Roma is good.
CM - Saul (in addition to Sanchez it appears, Carrick and Fellaini to go probably)

Can anyone think of a potentially top class attacking right back who is not at a big club? Darmian looks like he could become a Heinze-type solid fullback, but we could do with a bigger threat in attack.
Sign all of Atletico Madrid!

I would be surprised of one of those players leave this summer nevermind 3.

In regards to the RB situation, Real Madrid may be willing to include Carvejal in the De Gea deal. Would need to be as well as Navas though. Doubtful.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sign all of Atletico Madrid!

I would be surprised of one of those players leave this summer nevermind 3.

In regards to the RB situation, Real Madrid may be willing to include Carvejal in the De Gea deal. Would need to be as well as Navas though. Doubtful.
I didn't even realize!

To be honest, I really don't know which CB we should go for. I don't feel it's a position we need to spend huge amounts of money on right now.

Griezmann is the one we really need to go all out for.

ocprodigy

I think we all need to take a step back and be more realistic. What do we need is pretty much as simple as this;

RW - speaks for itself. Top quality RW will transform us.
ST - someone to really challenge Rashford and help him develop. Not Ibra, he's too slow for the league.

The last one I believe depends on what happens with Blind. As much as we don't like to admit it, Blind is a great player and has amazing vision. If he stays as a CB;

CM - someone who can press and break up play. Dynamic, can take on a man and can pass.

Move Blind to CM where I think he'd be great? Then a CB, although I'd prefer to see TFM step up. He looks ready, besides a few mistakes (although I love his aggression).

Whose probably going?
Mata, Jones, Fellaini. I want to add Rooney but I'm trying to be realistic.

Ole90+3

I didn't even realize!

To be honest, I really don't know which CB we should go for. I don't feel it's a position we need to spend huge amounts of money on right now.

Griezmann is the one we really need to go all out for.
I agree about Griezmann; the only realistically gettable world class player at the moment.

CBs I'd go for would be Varane (may consider a move if Pepe is to be the starter for another year) or Toprak (has had an excellent couple seasons for Leverkusen). No others really stand out, but I'd agree, it's certainly not a position in which we should prioritise recruiting for.