What do we still need? Post Summer 2016 edition

Cheekiey

I've been very impressed every time I've seen him play too, his pace is phenomenal, add some end product to his game he could have a great career.
On Adama Traore, his dribbling and pace is excellent. But his passing, decision making and general end product is pretty poor to be honest.
Honestly i'd buy him in Jan, he is a physical monster and super speedster and has adapted to the prem well for such a young player. His crossing is generally quite decent but like you both said, to become a proper player he will need to up his end product who will come with time. That being said, we have a whole bunch of wingers and players we can say that for atm who I'd have Adama over than them.

DanClancy

Adama Traore is a long way off signing for a big club, he needs to stay where he is for a few season and develop as a player first. He's capable of moments of brilliance but more often than not he takes the wrong decisions and infuriates team mates.

I'm sure Jose will be trying to bring someone in this January and move a few players on but naturally its not going to be easy bringing a player in who can improve our first 11.

I'd imagine Depay will be sent out on loan and our German will leave but not expecting anyone else to leave unless we bring someone in.

As for the summer Rooney will be moved on too along with our German, Schneiderlin & Rojo that would free up about £30m a season in wages so fully expecting United to spend a similar amount to last summer.

Last edited:

Devil may care

If we build on this 4-1-4-1 we have been using Jose might opt for a more low key transfer window in the summer than the last few we've had. I still think he'll go for another CB despite Jones and Rojo playing reasonably well lately and the Carrick replacement is the priority, with hoepfully a striker as well. Valencia will start next season as the RB I think so if we get one I imagine it will be a younger player who can be his understudy, and we might do that in January anyway.

CB - Laporte/van Dijk/Sule/Manolas
#6 - Verratti (Ya never know! :p)/Weigl/Paredes/Neves
Striker - Aubameyang/Icardi/Andre Silva/Dolberg

If we don't get a #6 and Jose opts for a pure DM I think we'll struggle more and it wont be good for Pogba.

If we broom Rooney I could see a player like Griezmann or Bernardo Silva being added to the collection of options we have for the roles behind the #9.

bucky

What do the people who regularly watch Dutch football think of Davinson Sanchez? I've heard and read really good things about him. Seems to have it all as a CB.

Currently IMO van Dijk or Manolas should be priorities to strengthen our defence though.

Devil may care

With Shaw's struggles, Jose not fancying Blind at LB and Darmian not being good enough I think Ricardo Rodriguez could be a good addition for us.

What do the people who regularly watch Dutch football think of Davinson Sanchez? I've heard and read really good things about him. Seems to have it all as a CB.

Currently IMO van Dijk or Manolas should be priorities to strengthen our defence though.
I've watched Ajax a few times lately to see Dolberg and Sanchez has looked pretty good, but it is hard to judge fully as Ajaz tend to dominate a lot of the ball.

bucky

With Shaw's struggles, Jose not fancying Blind at LB and Darmian not being good enough I think Ricardo Rodriguez could be a good addition for us.

I've watched Ajax a few times lately to see Dolberg and Sanchez has looked pretty good, but it is hard to judge fully as Ajaz tend to dominate a lot of the ball.
He has been steadily on a decline, obviously his whole team has as well, but I think he'd be a bit risky. Then again he might not need to be the sure bet with Shaw still around.

Thanks nonetheless. How is his passing ability? I tend to think he wouldn't be playing for Ajax, if he wasn't good on the ball. From googling he looks physically like the sort of the defender Mourinho likes.

Devil may care

He has been steadily on a decline, obviously his whole team has as well, but I think he'd be a bit risky. Then again he might not need to be the sure bet with Shaw still around.

Thanks nonetheless. How is his passing ability? I tend to think he wouldn't be playing for Ajax, if he wasn't good on the ball. From googling he looks physically like the sort of the defender Mourinho likes.
Ah I see, haven't seen a lot of Rodriguez this season, I know Wolfsburg have had a bad season but didn't realize he'd declined as he was still good at the Euros IMO. I do think we need to assess the LB situation one way or the other as if Jose doesn't fancy Blind there we need a genuine option to go with Shaw.

I can't say his passing stood out but he is mobile and comfortable on the ball, as you say he probably wouldn't be at Ajax if he wasn't, it will be interesting to see what Jose does with the CB situation given the Jones and Rojo rejuvination, I see those 2 as the O'Shea, Brown and Evans of the squad and we still need Bailly's main partner.

bucky

Ah I see, haven't seen a lot of Rodriguez this season, I know Wolfsburg have had a bad season but didn't realize he'd declined as he was still good at the Euros IMO. I do think we need to assess the LB situation one way or the other as if Jose doesn't fancy Blind there we need a genuine option to go with Shaw.

I can't say his passing stood out but he is mobile and comfortable on the ball, as you say he probably wouldn't be at Ajax if he wasn't, it will be interesting to see what Jose does with the CB situation given the Jones and Rojo rejuvination, I see those 2 as the O'Shea, Brown and Evans of the squad and we still need Bailly's main partner.
One of the reasons why I'd like to see Ricardo Pereira or Sidibe as a new signing is that both can play on either side and it doesn't affect their performances. Both are mainly right-backs, but Pereira did play a lot on the left during his first season at Nice and Sidibe did so at Lille as well.

Agreed with the second paragraph.

Devil may care

One of the reasons why I'd like to see Ricardo Pereira or Sidibe as a new signing is that both can play on either side and it doesn't affect their performances. Both are mainly right-backs, but Pereira did play a lot on the left during his first season at Nice and Sidibe did so at Lille as well.

Agreed with the second paragraph.
I didn't know Ricardo could play either side but I knew Sidibie could as he was mainly playing LB before his move to Monaco, I've been impressed with him this season, very exciting to watch, could be a good option to cover and compete on both flanks. Given we rely on our fullbacks for attacking width under Jose I think we should treat it the same as we did our wings, and have good quality depth for both fullback positions.

NoPace

2017-18 squad.

Out: Rooney, Depay, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Young

In: Griezmann, one CM to backup Herrera and Pogba, one DM to start in place of Carrick

9: Zlatan (Rashford)
LW: Mkhitaryan (Martial)
RW: Griezmann (Mata)

With Griezmann or Martial able to play as a 9 if needed and Lingard around to back up everyone for a year or two until he is replaced by a youngster, likely. Maybe we add a free, powerful older 9 in the Demba Ba mould. Like Llorente oddly comes for a year if Swansea go down, or Mourinho calls up Sammy Etoo or whoever.

LCM: Pogba, (CM1)
RCM: Herrera (CM1)
DM: DM (Carrick)

And Fellaini sticks around since Mou likes him as a DM option and thinks he can be useful as a CM aerial target.

No idea who the 2 names are. I think we could get a decent CM to come with all the games we'd have and that player's belief he could beat out Herrera to start.

As for the DM, I think Weigl is the best choice but would be tough to sign. Not sure who the next Xabi Alonso is, but that would be ideal. A passer who isn't bad defensively.

RB: Valencia (Fosu-Mensah)
LB: Shaw (Blind)
LCB: Bailly (Rojo)
RCB: Smalling (Jones)

And then Blind is the 5th CB and Darmian sticks around for one more year as FB cover as Mourinho seems to like him defensively, but I like TFM more going forward and think it turns into a fight to backup Valencia.

De Gea and Romero stay put.

Devil may care

If Jose is really starting to favour the 4-3-3 it makes buying Griezmann less logical to me, but it does make adding another #8 important, unless Jose thinks Pereira can play that role, however I doubt it.

Defense - Jones and Rojo have given us a boost here and could well be the new Brown/Sheasy/Evans of the squad. I still think Jose will bring in another CB of his choosing and we could do with another fullback, the cover is inadequate, especially with Shaw struggling. Ricardo Pereira of Nice and Sidibie of Monaco would make sense as both can play RB and LB (Which is best at LB @bucky ?) so they could cover Shaw and be ready to replace Valencia.

Midfield - We need to find that #6 if the midfield 3 is to become a regular thing for us, it could also mean another #8 unless Jose thinks Pereira or TFM are ready to step in should Ander or Pogba get injured, we can't have another season where Fellaini is the first CM back-up.

Attack - If the 4-3-3 is to be the way forward and Ibra will be staying I think Lemar or Bernardo Silva from Monaco would be good shouts, same with Pulisic or Correa, but it will probably be Griezmann in another square peg/round hole situation. I also think a #9 like Andre Silva or Belotti will be brought in to prepare for Ibra's exit.

CB - Gimenez/Laporte/van Dijk/Sule/Manolas
FB - Sidibie/Ricardo Pereira
DLP - Weigl/Paredes/N'Zonzi
CM - Tolisso/Trigueros/Naby Keita
WF - Griezmann (Seems on the cards)
#9 - Andre Silva/Belotti

bucky

Really difficult to say, I'd be happy if they signed and were just good players to be honest. I think they both would need time to adapt. Pereira IMO has looked slightly better than Sidibe on the left. Then again I don't watch every game of both, so it's hard to draw conclusions. Ultimately I'm going to trust Mourinho on signing defenders, he rarely makes mistakes there. Even Filipe Luis wasn't the wrong choice, he just didn't work out for whatever reason.

johanovic

If Jose is really starting to favour the 4-3-3 it makes buying Griezmann less logical to me, but it does make adding another #8 important, unless Jose thinks Pereira can play that role, however I doubt it.

Defense - Jones and Rojo have given us a boost here and could well be the new Brown/Sheasy/Evans of the squad. I still think Jose will bring in another CB of his choosing and we could do with another fullback, the cover is inadequate, especially with Shaw struggling. Ricardo Pereira of Nice and Sidibie of Monaco would make sense as both can play RB and LB (Which is best at LB @bucky ?) so they could cover Shaw and be ready to replace Valencia.

Midfield - We need to find that #6 if the midfield 3 is to become a regular thing for us, it could also mean another #8 unless Jose thinks Pereira or TFM are ready to step in should Ander or Pogba get injured, we can't have another season where Fellaini is the first CM back-up.

Attack - If the 4-3-3 is to be the way forward and Ibra will be staying I think Lemar or Bernardo Silva from Monaco would be good shouts, same with Pulisic or Correa, but it will probably be Griezmann in another square peg/round hole situation. I also think a #9 like Andre Silva or Belotti will be brought in to prepare for Ibra's exit.

CB - Gimenez/Laporte/van Dijk/Sule/Manolas
FB - Sidibie/Ricardo Pereira
DLP - Weigl/Paredes/N'Zonzi
CM - Tolisso/Trigueros/Naby Keita
WF - Griezmann (Seems on the cards)
#9 - Andre Silva/Belotti
I agree with your assement in many way´s and I think out of those players Weigl and Van Dijk(proven EPL)would be great and solve 2 problems i.e replacing Carrick and adding a leader at the back. But there are 2 players I would really like us to go for in Reus and Aubameyang even though that will be hard but they would be a huge statement from us and bring a new dimension to the attack. Imagnie Reus,Aubameyang,Ibra,Martial and Rashford rotating and then Ibra going after 1 more season.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I would go for this.

New forward : Griezmann
New Center Midfield
New Center Back

I would add also two other player for backup as we'll loose a lot of them this summer

-----------------------------Ibra----------------------------
Mhkitaryan-------Pogba--------Herrera-------Griezmann
--------------------------New CM---------------------------
Shaw------------New CB--------Bailly--------------Valencia
----------------------------De Gea---------------------------

----------------------------Rashford----------------------------
Martial-------------Fellaini--------New CM-------------Lingard
----------------------------Carrick----------------------------
Rojo--------------Smalling---------Jones------------New RB
----------------------------Romero----------------------------

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
How good has Fabinho been this season?

He can play RB and CDM can't he?

bucky

FB: R. Pereira, Sidibe, Fabinho, Henrichs
CB: van Dijk, Sarr, Manolas,
DM: D. Pereira, Carvalho, Strootman, Weigl,
CM: Tolisso, Cyprien, N. Keita
AM/W: James, Lemar, Felipe Anderson, Mbappe, Fekir, Berardi
FW: Griezmann, Andre Silva, Lukaku, Icardi, Belotti,

I think those players are the best and most interesting options to improve our team/squad. Obviously we can't sign them all, but one from every position will do. The search for a new striker has time IMO. In bold are the ones I'd prefer.

Devil may care

FB: R. Pereira, Sidibe, Fabinho, Henrichs
CB: van Dijk, Sarr, Manolas,
DM: D. Pereira, Carvalho, Strootman, Weigl,
CM: Tolisso, Cyprien, N. Keita
AM/W: James, Lemar, Felipe Anderson, Mbappe, Fekir, Berardi
FW: Griezmann, Andre Silva, Lukaku, Icardi, Belotti,

I think those players are the best and most interesting options to improve our team/squad. Obviously we can't sign them all, but one from every position will do. The search for a new striker has time IMO. In bold are the ones I'd prefer.
Some good suggestiuons there, I think we'll be seeing the CB and RB positions sorted vias Benfica and Griezmann does feel like it's going to happen. I've not seen much of Cyprien but Keita has looked very good for Leipzig, te stand out player in that team for me. I also like Man Utd Trigueros as a CM option, he is comfortable at #8 and #6.

In the DM/#6 role I'm not a fan of SCarvalho and I would avoid Strootman after all the injuries, Pereira is a bit more of a destroyer than I'd like but I thought he played well at the Euros. Your pick of Lemar is a great one, I think he's went up a couple of notches this season and it wont be long before he moves on.

bucky

Some good suggestiuons there, I think we'll be seeing the CB and RB positions sorted vias Benfica and Griezmann does feel like it's going to happen. I've not seen much of Cyprien but Keita has looked very good for Leipzig, te stand out player in that team for me. I also like Man Utd Trigueros as a CM option, he is comfortable at #8 and #6.

In the DM/#6 role I'm not a fan of SCarvalho and I would avoid Strootman after all the injuries, Pereira is a bit more of a destroyer than I'd like but I thought he played well at the Euros. Your pick of Lemar is a great one, I think he's went up a couple of notches this season and it wont be long before he moves on.
Truth be told, I'd be happy with any of Tolisso, Cyprien or Keita. Trigueros has only really stepped up this season, hasn't he? Bit reluctant on that one to be honest. You should definitely check out Nice, when they play against a better team. Their game against Bordeaux was entertaing as well. Sarr, Cyprien, Seri, R. Pereira, Koziello, Dalbert, Plea and their goalkeepers are all interesting players.

I don't watch enough Portuguese football to know how consistently good Carvalho and Pereira are, but I thought they fit the bill of what Mourinho wants his DM to be. From what I've seen D. Pereira didn't look like a destroyer to me. Both easily average the most passes per game for their teams and both seem to be the metronome. According to the stats they also don't win the ball back as much as Bakayoko does for example or Schneiderlin used to. They really seem to be playing the Carrick role for their clubs.

I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want Strootman, but I think there's case to be made, if he would be playing in Carrick's role. He wouldn't have to go after ball as much as we would have to as the box-to-box player and he wouldn't be involved in as many one-on-ones, I think it would limit the risk of injuries IMO.

AXVnee7

I'm happy with our attack actually. I think it needs time to gel, but if we add Griezmann fantastic but if not then I'd still be happy going into next season.

I think our biggest priority should be a Carrick replacement. This is the key signing.

I guess the rest will also depend on outgoings aswell, depthwise we are fine right now but we will lose some very good squad players for sure.

Walters_19_MuFc

Deep-lying playmaker - If we continue to play a 433, we desperately need someone who can control the game from deep. Replacing Carrick is a must.

Box to box - If Herrera was to get injured, then we have no one with his skillset to come in as a number 8. We have Fellaini, Schneiderlin and Schweinstieger, but neither of these players press as well, nor do they have the energy Herrera has. Fellaini is the best option out the three, but he isn't mobile enough.

Right back - Need another attacking right back to cover Valencia

We've been linked with Lindelof (centre back) of late, but I personally don't think we need another centre back, having already got Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo and Blind.

De Gea (Romero)
Valencia (Right back) Jones (Smalling) Bailly (Rojo) Shaw (Blind)
Carrick (Holding mid)
Herrera (Box to box) Pogba (Fellaini)
Mkhitaryan (Lingard) Ibrahimovic (Rashford) Martial (Rooney)

Thanks @bucky

Devil may care

Truth be told, I'd be happy with any of Tolisso, Cyprien or Keita. Trigueros has only really stepped up this season, hasn't he? Bit reluctant on that one to be honest. You should definitely check out Nice, when they play against a better team. Their game against Bordeaux was entertaing as well. Sarr, Cyprien, Seri, R. Pereira, Koziello, Dalbert, Plea and their goalkeepers are all interesting players.
This has been Trigueros breakout season, yes, but same for Keita and Cyprien, in truth most players that are options for us wont be finished articles I think, and in truth if we were to go for any box to box Saul would by far be my first choice. I've been meaning to try and catch Nice as them and Monaco have spiced Ligue 1 this season, when it restarts I'll give them a watch,.

I don't watch enough Portuguese football to know how consistently good Carvalho and Pereira are, but I thought they fit the bill of what Mourinho wants his DM to be. From what I've seen D. Pereira didn't look like a destroyer to me. Both easily average the most passes per game for their teams and both seem to be the metronome. According to the stats they also don't win the ball back as much as Bakayoko does for example or Schneiderlin used to. They really seem to be playing the Carrick role for their clubs.
I think he's more of an interceptor than a tackler, not sure about his passing game though, oddly he's not been linked with anyone despite Porto needing to generate some funds and him being at the type of age that would make him a logical saleable asset, I thought after he played well in the Euros a few teams might have taken a look.

I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want Strootman, but I think there's case to be made, if he would be playing in Carrick's role. He wouldn't have to go after ball as much as we would have to as the box-to-box player and he wouldn't be involved in as many one-on-ones, I think it would limit the risk of injuries IMO.
That's a fair point, he wouldn't be the first player to adapt to a different role after a bad injury, but there's still quite a lot of lateral movement required to cover the fullbacks in a single pivot, I'm not sure his knee would hold up to that in the PL.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In regards to starting players, is everyone agreed that just a Left Back and a Deep Midfielder (of whatever description) is needed for our first XI?

Devil may care

In regards to starting players, is everyone agreed that just a Left Back and a Deep Midfielder (of whatever description) is needed for our first XI?
I'm still hopeful Shaw will be the starting LB but I don't think we have Bailly's CB partner yet and I think Griezmann will come in as a starter.

IrishRedDevil

Let's hope Shaw is phased back in second half of this season, gets a good preseason under his belt and is ready to lock down the LB position next season. He is only 21 with a huge ceiling, he just needs a good run of games. Jose said he was ready to play 90mins v Reading but he fell ill on the morning of the game. Blind can be his back-up.

DM to replace Carrick is critical this summer.

Also we need to add more goals into the squad. GRIE7MANN :drool: Yes there is the ongoing debate about formations and fitting him into the side, but the most important thing is having options and interchangeable players all from the top bracket.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
A goalscorer (Griez)
A dominant and mobile #6 (dunno)
A b2b midfielder

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
A lethal finisher is surely needed the most. Boggles my mind how bad we are in front of the goal.
This and not just one of them. We need wide men who can guarantee 15 goals a season. Too dependent on Zlatan, too many misses from good positions from others.

Icemav

We could upgrade in a number of positions. We absolutely need some dynamic quality at CM.... if you asked me today I would go for Bayakoko and Strootman. A world class striker. A world class pacy winger.... Obviously Bale isn't happening but that would be amazing as a physical specialist not quasi slow wingers like Mata and young wide forwards. And I still don't like our wing back situation.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
A dominant and mobile #6 (dunno)
Absolutely not, no way. Carrick is neither physically dominant nor mobile, and he's quite easily among the most perfect fits for the position in terms of what we need (aside from the likes of Alonso when he was at Madrid or Busquets or Thiago Motta from 2011-2015 in terms of function). We have an appropriate level of physical presence and mobility and tenacity with the combination of Pogba + Herrera (when he plays as the box-to-box) - what we lack when Carrick's off-form/rested is a holding midfielder with the brains to provide balance to that, and consistently orchestrate the unit (as we do today because Ander is a natural 8 who doesn't have Carrick's positional awareness or expansive passing range or the patience to progressively piece together moves from the back or overall tactical nous).

The other couple suggestions are spot on, though - in terms of top shelf quality and maybe even depth (in midfield).

Icemav

Absolutely not, no way. Carrick is neither physically dominant nor mobile, and he's quite easily among the most perfect fits for the position in terms of what we need (aside from the likes of Alonso when he was at Madrid or Busquets or Thiago Motta from 2011-2015 in terms of function). We have an appropriate level of physical presence and mobility and tenacity with the combination of Pogba + Herrera (when he plays as the box-to-box) - what we lack when Carrick's off-form/rested is a holding midfielder with the brains to provide balance to that, and consistently orchestrate the unit (as we do today because Ander is a natural 8 who doesn't have Carrick's positional awareness or expansive passing range or the patience to progressively piece together moves from the back or overall tactical nous).

The other couple suggestions are spot on, though - in terms of top shelf quality and maybe even depth (in midfield).
If we are talking pure athleticism then no it isn't the first thing required of a 6. However there are very few to perform this role at a worldy level. In the absence of this or a Makalele there is no harm in having 2 out of Strootman, Bakayoko and Hererra shielding behing Pogba.

We all want another Carrick or Scholes but we will have to make do without for now.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If we are talking pure athleticism then no it isn't the first thing required of a 6. However there are very few to perform this role at a worldy level. In the absence of this or a Makalele there is no harm in having 2 out of Strootman, Bakayoko and Hererra shielding behing Pogba.
You don't need 'wordly level' players. As long as they are good system and functional fits, you can build a great structure even without them being world class - this is how someone like Klopp has managed to extract the best out of a lot of non worldly level Liverpool players. Thiago Motta for one wasn't worldly level, but he was the perfect fit behind Verratti and Matuidi in terms of what was needed at Paris Saint-Germain. The worst thing we could do is get the exact opposite of what is needed by overplaying the importance of physicality and athleticism instead of technique as the holder, or overall view of the game (which defined the elite 6s of the last decade) - so yes, there is harm in signing the wrong type of players for the system (like we did with Fellaini and Schneiderlin in the recent past, qualitative differences aside).
We all want another Carrick or Scholes but we will have to make do without for now.
Why? The likes of Weigl, Paredes, Llorente, Geis, even Illaramendi will be great fits for the position in terms of traditional holding midfielder ability - and not all of the them are unobtainable. Why not sign a proper fit and develop him while Carrick's still decent enough to guide them?

eg. Paredes has the skillset we need, plus he's exceptional even under the press (which was a weakness of Carrick, even at his peak):

Not the most powerful or most physical player, but he has a gritty mentality common amongst Argie midfielders, is patient even at a young age, anticipates moments to dislodge the ball instead of clattering into tackles, has a good view of the field and is always aware of whats going around him wrt. team-mates or opposition players, knows how to slow down or increase the tempo of the game with rhythmic passing depending on whether the team is chasing goals or defending goals, screens the defense quite well and frequently drops in to make it a 3, and is an excellent passer (much like Carrick or traditional registas):

Icemav

You don't need 'wordly level' players. As long as they are good system and functional fits, you can build a great structure even without them being world class - this is how someone like Klopp has managed to extract the best out of a lot of non worldly level Liverpool players. Thiago Motta for one wasn't worldly level, but he was the perfect fit behind Verratti and Matuidi in terms of what was needed at Paris Saint-Germain. The worst thing we could do is get the exact opposite of what is needed by overplaying the importance of physicality and athleticism instead of technique as the holder, or overall view of the game (which defined the elite 6s of the last decade) - so yes, there is harm in signing the wrong type of players for the system (like we did with Fellaini and Schneiderlin in the recent past, qualitative differences aside).

Why? The likes of Weigl, Paredes, Llorente, Geis, even Illaramendi will be great fits for the position in terms of traditional holding midfielder ability - and not all of the them are unobtainable. Why not sign a proper fit and develop him while Carrick's still decent enough to guide them?

eg. Paredes has the skillset we need, plus he's exceptional even under the press (which was a weakness of Carrick, even at his peak):

Not the most powerful or most physical player, but he has a gritty mentality common amongst Argie midfielders, is patient even at a young age, anticipates moments to dislodge the ball instead of clattering into tackles, has a good view of the field and is always aware of whats going around him wrt. team-mates or opposition players, knows how to slow down or increase the tempo of the game with rhythmic passing depending on whether the team is chasing goals or defending goals, screens the defense quite well and frequently drops in to make it a 3, and is an excellent passer (much like Carrick or traditional registas):

I totally get your point but I do personally feel that a 6 regista player needs to be exceptionally good. Also some are more defensive others more attacking. Carrick almost provides a duel role. Would Parades? If not then he would need a great DM alongside. There is also no guarantee that he fits into the prem. Worth a punt with him or Weigl but in the meantime I would bulletproof our midfield with the signings of players like Bakayoko and Strootman who are defensively tenacious and also have good skills. After this experimenting with a new 6 would be easier IMO.

::sonny::

This squad need everything, defenders, midfielders etc

But Mourinho and Woodward are immobile

So they are happy with this team, and they are happy with the 5th, 6th place