What do you hate about this World Cup ?

Momochiru

You do know that people were 'asked' to leave their favelas or pay ridiculous money to be allowed to stay there? It was extremely horrendous money-wise for the lower-classes, surely you understand this? Or you simply think that a football-mad country would appeal against WC just for fun? Look at the crowds inside the stadia - that's only more affluent part of the Brazil's society.

Off all the reasons to hate this WC...
You know that the people who build the favelas don't own the land, right? The same thing would have happened if the owner of the land decided to build a hotel or a golf course or whatever they wanted. When the homeless people build their favelas on some unused land they should've known that it's only a temporary situation. I get it that there are a lot of very poor people in Brazil and their life is not easy, but to blame the World Cup for it is ridiculous.

"The crowd consist mainly of affluent Brazilians" - what does this have to do with anything? This is the case anywhere around the world. It's simple supply/demand - when something is in high demand the prices go up and consequently the poorest chunk of the society cannot afford it anymore. There are studies that even in England the ticket prices in the PL are so high that the low income families cannot afford to attend the games.

As I said previously all these are issues with the society we live in and I dislike it when the World Cup is being blamed.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
You know that the people who build the favelas don't own the land, right? The same thing would have happened if the owner of the land decided to build a hotel or a golf course or whatever they wanted. When the homeless people build their favelas on some unused land they should've known that it's only a temporary situation. I get it that there are a lot of very poor people in Brazil and their life is not easy, but to blame the World Cup for it is ridiculous.

"The crowd consist mainly of affluent Brazilians" - what does this have to do with anything? This is the case anywhere around the world. It's simple supply/demand - when something is in high demand the prices go up and consequently the poorest chunk of the society cannot afford it anymore. There are studies that even in England the ticket prices in the PL are so high that the low income families cannot afford to attend the games.

As I said previously all these are issues with the society we live in and I dislike it when the World Cup is being blamed.
Football is becoming a non working-class sport, yes. However, if you calculated the relationship between wages and tickets (I did for my uni research) it won't be as ridiculous in Europe as it is currently at WC. Believe me, you don't need to go through hundreds of financial papers. If you saw the FIFA and Coca-Cola WC ad you would hear bollocks like 'WC for everyone' with less affluent people in it whereas it's not like that in Brazil. The images you will see will be skewed by rich tourists and more affluent Brazilians. Many of the poor lost their places of living, could you even imagine losing your home with no perspectives to find another one or a better paid job?

You may argue that it's a natural course of events - and it is - but don't make a dick of yourself by moaning about those who suffer and let their voices heard. Stick with your comfy TV set and enjoy the game like we all do. I can assure you those less affluent Brazilians won't ruin your comfort as the issue doesn't touch upon the on-the-pitch matters.

EDIT: And to round it off with your golf course examples and whatnot, they would have protested if this was World Cup in golf, building of a hotel etc as well. Your arguments actually work against you. It's the loss of the place of living/working that harms them, not a football competition they all love.

Last edited:

oriole

Female
(♀) is the sex of an organism, or a part of an organism, which produces non-mobile ova (egg-cells).
(Wikipedia)

Plugsy

When a team has conceded a goal or lost a game or something devastating, it cuts to a "fan" in the crowd, usually female, who switches from gloom to a happy-tit-shaking-waver once they see themselves on the big screen. Now I'm all for the shaking of tits but the disingenuous nature of their initial sad-face, irritates me. If football doesn't genuinely hurt at those moments, you're doing it wrong.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
When a team has conceded a goal or lost a game or something devastating, it cuts to a "fan" in the crowd, usually female, who switches from gloom to a happy-tit-shaking-waver once they see themselves on the big screen. Now I'm all for the shaking of tits but the disingenuous nature of their initial sad-face, irritates me. If football doesn't genuinely hurt at those moments, you're doing it wrong.
Heavily made up women in a stadium that are not actually there for the game, but to get some free camera exposure? Shocker...

Momochiru

Football is becoming a non working-class sport, yes. However, if you calculated the relationship between wages and tickets (I did for my uni research) it won't be as ridiculous in Europe as it is currently at WC. Believe me, you don't need to go through hundreds of financial papers. If you saw the FIFA and Coca-Cola WC ad you would hear bollocks like 'WC for everyone' with less affluent people in it whereas it's not like that in Brazil. The images you will see will be skewed by rich tourists and more affluent Brazilians. Many of the poor lost their places of living, could you even imagine losing your home with no perspectives to find another one or a better paid job?

You may argue that it's a natural course of events - and it is - but don't make a dick of yourself by moaning about those who suffer and let their voices heard. Stick with your comfy TV set and enjoy the game like we all do. I can assure you those less affluent Brazilians won't ruin your comfort as the issue doesn't touch upon the on-the-pitch matters.

EDIT: And to round it off with your golf course examples and whatnot, they would have protested if this was World Cup in golf, building of a hotel etc as well. Your arguments actually work against you. It's the loss of the place of living/working that harms them, not a football competition they all love.
You need to get off your high horse. I might enjoy the game in front of my 'comfy TV' now, but when I was young the economy in my country collapsed and for several years I had to support a wife and a child on less than $10 a month. After a whole day at the office I was heading to load/unload trucks for a few hours every night plus any other job I could get my hands on and all this while I was working on my master's degree. My son was very sickly and every visit to the doctor cost me more than my monthly wage and we spent a lot of time at the doctors. So I know very well what it is to be poor. I survived it through hard work and now I am entitled to enjoy my 'comfy TV'.

And still I think that the best way to help the poor is not just by giving them handouts, but to create an environment where they can help themselves. People who constantly bitch about the money spent on the WC don't realize that a lot of jobs were created to build all these stadiums, there are a lot of jobs currently running the whole WC and after the WC is over there will be a lot of jobs in the future maintenance of the new stadiums. There are hundreds of thousands tourists who pour money in the Brazilian economy and create jobs in turn. Plus Brazil will host the Olympics in two years, so a successful WC will only help to bring even more tourists for the Olympics. In the long run these are very positive developments for the country as a whole in the long run.

Yet people are bitching that all the money spent on the WC could've been spent directly on improving the lives of the poor - a very short sighted view. Let me put things this way - there are 1.3 billion people living in extreme poverty in the world at the moment. You could cancel all the money currently spent on non-essential stuff, because it could be spent 'better' on the poor. Sports, movies, music, any kind of art, fashion, tourism, even things like space exploration could be slashed and the money redirected to the poor 1.3 billion in the world - would it help them? Probably in the short term it will raise their live style a little, but in the long run they will end up in a much worse position. Why? Because all these non-essential industries are creating millions of jobs and without these jobs the number of the poor will only increase.

Things are not that simple, so I get annoyed every time when I hear that 'the poor in Brazil are suffering because of the World Cup'.

Tomuś

You need to get off your high horse. I might enjoy the game in front of my 'comfy TV' now, but when I was young the economy in my country collapsed and for several years I had to support a wife and a child on less than $10 a month. After a whole day at the office I was heading to load/unload trucks for a few hours every night plus any other job I could get my hands on and all this while I was working on my master's degree. My son was very sickly and every visit to the doctor cost me more than my monthly wage and we spent a lot of time at the doctors. So I know very well what it is to be poor. I survived it through hard work and now I am entitled to enjoy my 'comfy TV'.

And still I think that the best way to help the poor is not just by giving them handouts, but to create an environment where they can help themselves. People who constantly bitch about the money spent on the WC don't realize that a lot of jobs were created to build all these stadiums, there are a lot of jobs currently running the whole WC and after the WC is over there will be a lot of jobs in the future maintenance of the new stadiums. There are hundreds of thousands tourists who pour money in the Brazilian economy and create jobs in turn. Plus Brazil will host the Olympics in two years, so a successful WC will only help to bring even more tourists for the Olympics. In the long run these are very positive developments for the country as a whole in the long run.

Yet people are bitching that all the money spent on the WC could've been spent directly on improving the lives of the poor - a very short sighted view. Let me put things this way - there are 1.3 billion people living in extreme poverty in the world at the moment. You could cancel all the money currently spent on non-essential stuff, because it could be spent 'better' on the poor. Sports, movies, music, any kind of art, fashion, tourism, even things like space exploration could be slashed and the money redirected to the poor 1.3 billion in the world - would it help them? Probably in the short term it will raise their live style a little, but in the long run they will end up in a much worse position. Why? Because all these non-essential industries are creating millions of jobs and without these jobs the number of the poor will only increase.

Things are not that simple, so I get annoyed every time when I hear that 'the poor in Brazil are suffering because of the World Cup'.
Genuinely sad to read the part about your past and kudos for getting through it. I can see we won't agree and I just think that you should be warm towards their protests. We're not talking about the specifics of Brazil's economy but the right to protest (if you're suddenly homeless you don't think about what the potential benefits that may come in a few year's time, do you). And I'm with those less affluent Brazilians when it comes to that.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
You do know that people were 'asked' to leave their favelas or pay ridiculous money to be allowed to stay there? It was extremely horrendous money-wise for the lower-classes, surely you understand this? Or you simply think that a football-mad country would appeal against WC just for fun? Look at the crowds inside the stadia - that's only more affluent part of the Brazil's society.

Off all the reasons to hate this WC...

I can't agree with you more, one example that is pretty objectionable is the building of a stadium in Manaus for $250m that has no real purpose after the 4 games played there. Meanwhile in Manaus less than 30% of the population have sanitary water provision. The infrastructure that was promised simply hasn't been delivered by the government, I really sympathise with what the protestors are saying. I went to Manaus for a week, and it's a bit of a shithole in many respects (albeit interesting), and it's a poor city, so you can understand the frustration of having a stadium and fanzine built that they really didn't need, and would have benefitted far more from that money being spent on health and infrastructure projects.

As a side note Brazil is getting increasingly rich as a country, but the wealth divide is increasing, and social mobility isn't improving.

Tomuś

Spot on. It's like an image of a huge, glamorous stadium with affluent people in it and people barely affording food and water outside of it. They have every right to protest. Such big investition will always take it's toll but you have to sympathise with the poor - not putting them down as one of the things you hate.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Spot on. It's like an image of a huge, glamorous stadium with affluent people in it and people barely affording food and water outside of it. They have every right to protest. Such big investition will always take it's toll but you have to sympathise with the poor - not putting them down as one of the things you hate.

The right to protest has to be there, economically whether the world cup benefits Brazil remains to be seen, but you can see how some folks will be unhappy with it. The level of protest has been surprisingly low visually to the world press, but the level of police has been massively high. At the fanzine in Manaus for some games there were more police than fans.

third3y3

Now that I have seen that stupid arm folding when the lineups are shown, it is rather annoying.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Only one thing, the same thing that annoys me every wc or euro championship, mindless bints bleating on about how their soaps shouldn't be moves for football. PISS OFF

dappamikey

Supports
Tottenham
The English commentator/anaylst view that Brazil are the omnipotent omnipresent and any other omni of everything good about football.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Aye, they are annoying feckers. Can't wait for Germany to KO them in their own back yard.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Referees bottling every decision that could go against Brazil

Mister_Stubbs

The constant banging on about how great the Brazilian fans are.. I mean almost as if no home nations fans wouldn't be that passionate.

VP

The lack of quality is beginning to annoy me now. The group stages were great fun but there's no cream rising to the top. Both the semi-finalists have been ordinary. Brazil have barely had 3 good halves of football.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Referees bottling every decision that could go against Brazil
Yeah, like Howard Webb did when Hulk scored v Chile seeing a decision that nobody else really saw and was a huge call.?

Like the ref did in the Mexico game when Brazil kept looking for a penalty, a few looked possible to give but he resisted and got it right?

Can we stop reaching RAWK levels on the referee conspiracy theories. Even the ref today didn't bottle giving a penalty to Colombia.

PSingh

Yeah, like Howard Webb did when Hulk scored v Chile seeing a decision that nobody else really saw and was a huge call.?

Like the ref did in the Mexico game when Brazil kept looking for a penalty, a few looked possible to give but he resisted and got it right?

Can we stop reaching RAWK levels on the referee conspiracy theories. Even the ref today didn't bottle giving a penalty to Colombia.
Okay so not every decision but what about...

The soft penalty they got against Croatia? There's no way that was a penalty.

Neymar's elbow against Croatia? Any other player would have been sent off.

The treatment James got tonight? If that had been Neymar we would have seen the referee booking players left, right and centre.

Yepes' disallowed goal tonight? Still not sure why it was a free kick to Brazil, he was offside when the ball was played in but it hit Luiz first before falling to Yepes.

It's not a conspiracy theory, the referees are giving decisions Brazil's way, it's probably down to the pressure of the home crowd.

Yeah the ref didn't bottle giving a stone wall penalty to Columbia. Well done to him.

Mali_Zeus

Hooray for the ref, he didnt bottle a clear penalty to Colombia!

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The treatment James got tonight? If that had been Neymar we would have seen the referee booking players left, right and centre.
Indeed, can you imagine the crowd if the Columbians had been getting away with systematic fouling on him.

PSingh

Indeed, can you imagine the crowd if the Columbians had been getting away with systematic fouling on him.
Exactly they would be going mental. It's becoming annoying. I understand the referees want to protect Neymar because teams will literally try kick him out of the game. IMO it either has to be evened out and James should have got similar treatment tonight from the referee or the treatment should just stop and not prioritise for any player.

Mali_Zeus

Exactly they would be going mental. It's becoming annoying. I understand the referees want to protect Neymar because teams will literally try kick him out of the game. IMO it either has to be evened out and James should have got similar treatment tonight from the referee or the treatment should just stop and not prioritise for any player.
Scolari was crying something about Neymar not getting protection from the refs and there you have it, even the slightest touch was a foul on him and he dived around and on the other hand Brasilians were kicking James at will..

PSingh

Scolari was crying something about Neymar not getting protection from the refs and there you have it, even the slightest touch was a foul on him and he dived around and on the other hand Brasilians were kicking James at will..
Completely agree with you about this.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Okay so not every decision but what about...

The soft penalty they got against Croatia? There's no way that was a penalty.

Neymar's elbow against Croatia? Any other player would have been sent off.

Yepes' disallowed goal tonight? Still not sure why it was a free kick to Brazil, he was offside when the ball was played in but it hit Luiz first before falling to Yepes.

It's not a conspiracy theory, the referees are giving decisions Brazil's way, it's probably down to the pressure of the home crowd.

Yeah the ref didn't bottle giving a stone wall penalty to Columbia. Well done to him.
All teams get decisions for and againt.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All teams get decisions for and againt.
You're blind or brazillian if you can't see the preferential treatment Brazil has gotten, they've been saved by shit refereeing multiple times this tournament. Every game they are in their favour and against Croatia and now, the refs made the difference in the result.

AlwaysRedwood

I went to the final game in Johannesburg four years ago. Pretty much the same. I'll never forget the difference between how the stadium looked on the inside and the dirt lot, shit conditions outside.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
You're blind or brazillian if you can't see the preferential treatment Brazil has gotten, they've been saved by shit refereeing multiple times this tournament. Every game they are in their favour and against Croatia and now, the refs made the difference in the result.
Haha, ridiculous. Against Chile and Colombia there is no way ref made the difference in the result.