What is a 'Pointless Club'?

Remember the geese

Completely agree. It's like tearing down Westminster Abbey, replacing it with a office block and then expecting people to respect that office block because of "history".

(Well take something less significant than Westminster Abbey if you like but you get the gist of it).
Precisely. It isn't a difficult concept, but some seemingly struggle with it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Everton.
Unless you're 45 and up, they're a club who seemingly haven't done anything for decade upon decade.

Irrational.

Crystal Palace
West Ham
Everton
Spurs
Newcastle
Southampton
Wolves

All pointless clubs because they are all fart and no shit. Their main purpose is to “feck shit up” without actually achieving anything of note. They will unexpectedly beat a team well above them, before succumbing to a humiliating defeat at relegation contenders the following weekend. They also have a habit of having cloggers in the side like Mark Noble, Jay Rodriguez and Andy Carroll, who serve absolutely no purpose for 99% of the season but will either score a random goal or end up injuring a player in a fit of over-zealousness.

JimmyWils

Any other time I would have said Fulham, without a single major-ish honour won in their history.

Annoyingly this season it seems they're doing their best to become relevant again and make me eat my words.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s weird to have people calling clubs like Everton, West Ham, Palace etc. as pointless but then clubs like Fulham, Brighton and Brentford aren’t? Is that because they’re doing well this season because the metrics you’re using for the former clubs apply to the latter clubs too.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Again, if over half of the club's in the 'best league in the world' are pointless, why do you bother to watch? Football's a bit crap then isn't it?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s weird to have people calling clubs like Everton, West Ham, Palace etc. as pointless but then clubs like Fulham, Brighton and Brentford aren’t? Is that because they’re doing well this season because the metrics you’re using for the former clubs apply to the latter clubs too.
None of these clubs are pointless. Even if you look at it through the very arrogant and stupid prism of just trophies, Everton are the club with the 4th most titles in English history and 8th in major trophies overall. But yeah, all those clubs are important clubs to their communities with their own legends, heroes and stories forged through their own battles fought throughout their history. To boil their entire existence down to ‘trophies or nah’ is really, really fecking stupid.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
None of these clubs are pointless. Even if you look at it through the very arrogant and stupid prism of just trophies, Everton are the club with the 4th most titles in English history and 8th in major trophies overall. But yeah, all those clubs are important clubs to their communities with their own legends, heroes and stories forged through their own battles fought throughout their history. To boil their entire existence down to ‘trophies or nah’ is really, really fecking stupid.
I agree with you. I'm just struggling to understand the logic of people that do label them as pointless but omit other clubs when if you're going to lump a few in then you have to really lump them all.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
I agree with you. I'm just struggling to understand the logic of people that do label them as pointless but omit other clubs when if you're going to lump a few in then you have to really lump them all.
Why bother? The whole thread is mostly a cesspit of arrogance and ignorance :)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Pointless to me is a club that whether they win or lose, they don't matter. Irrelevant to you personally.
City, PSG, Barca would be pointless clubs whos history is fully tainted in my view. A giant asterisk beside anything they do. Similar to how I'd view United if we get taken over by a country that just pumps cheating-amount of money into the club.

I think it is too harsh to judge mid-table types of clubs or even clubs that go up and down as pointless. Their fans aren't going to matches expecting a title challenge. They have realistic goals within their limits that they fight for.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Well in recent memory you have done nothing but underperform. They over perform for the size of their clubs and people respect that.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
West. Bromwich. Albion.

They're the absolute definition of one.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
West. Bromwich. Albion.

They're the absolute definition of one.
Can't agree, they were the opposition of one of the best games I ever had the pleasure of attending + they sold us Captain Marvel

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No such thing as a pointless club, just elitism of fans from the bigger clubs. Some supporters turn up every week knowing their club will likely never win anything in their lifetime but enjoy it week to week.
The funny thing is i bet many of the same posters saying this type of stuff will be the first to say "what do Palace expect?" when they try to improve themselves by sacking an underperforming Vieira in the next few weeks.

daveskimufc

Yo-yo clubs annoy me and I consider them pointless.

Burnley and west brom offered precisely nothing in the prem.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
To me the clubs that win most stuff are pointless. Does a Bayern fan give 2 fecks about winning the bundes liga? Is it so special for a Real fan to win 5 CL trophies in 10 years (no idea if they have mind). Ajacieden mock Feyenoord for only winning the league every other decade, but winning is more fun if it's an outlier.

I can't imagine Goliath's parents were proud of him beating David to a bloody pulp.

siw2007

Childish jibe. Some clubs may not be successful or particularly glamorous, but they probably mean something to their community and their supporters. That should be respected regardless of whether you get bored of seeing the same clubs camped in the middle of the table.

Supports
Chelsea
For me a pointless club is one that:

In a title race most people want that team to win purely as a vehicle to stop the team you really hate from winning. For instance, no one wanted Liverpool to win the title a few years back not just because of the added prestige but because the fanbase would be unbearable. The same thing with Arsenal this season. Compare that to City winning the league, there are no ramifications. They don't have enough fans to annoy you with delusion & gloating, their trophies are merely reduced to just a statistic and everyone moves on.

Korwas

Anybody saying that any club is pointless is a fecking idiot. Just go to any non-league club in the country and see the passion of their supporters and their dreams of getting into the league and the links the club has with the local community. Saying a club is pointless is just pure arrogance, ignorance and as soon as I read it I instantly think the person who wrote it is a total dick head and not a real football fan.
Thank you. Agree completely.

scottser

Anybody saying that any club is pointless is a fecking idiot. Just go to any non-league club in the country and see the passion of their supporters and their dreams of getting into the league and the links the club has with the local community. Saying a club is pointless is just pure arrogance, ignorance and as soon as I read it I instantly think the person who wrote it is a total dick head and not a real football fan.
Truth, right there.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Guess you were in favor of the ESL as well then
Not particularly, but I couldn't really get on board with the extreme outrage when the PL and UCL are super leagues in all but name.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why bother? The whole thread is mostly a cesspit of arrogance and ignorance :)
It’s because football fans consider themselves to be winners with winning mentality and standards and anyone not meeting their lofty expectations is pointless. Shambles of a thread.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The description of a club as 'pointless' really seems to have accelerated over the last few years. Norwich are pointless for getting relegated, Spurs are pointless for not winning trophies, Dortmund are pointless for being German.

I get slagging off other teams' misfortune, that's football, but banter in the social media age has just pickled into this weirdly miserable mindset. Every league except the PL is a farmer's league, and every club in the PL that doesn't win trophies is pointless, and almost all the trophies are Mickey Mouse, the race to out banter everyone else just leads fans into this mindset that football is a shit game that's not worth watching.

What is the 'point' of a football club to you, and what is the point of watching a sport where only about six clubs worldwide have a point themselves?

In before "pointless thread".
@Wonder Pigeon are you um, related to @Mr Pigeon? Like Batman and Robin or something?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Yo-yo clubs annoy me and I consider them pointless.

Burnley and west brom offered precisely nothing in the prem.
Burnley had 6 straight seasons in the Premier League and qualified Europe during that time. Such a yo-yo club.