What is our problem?

Bojan11

Liverpool away seems to have been a turning point in our season (we've only won by 2 or more goals once in the 2.5 months since that game, compared with 7 times in the 2 months before it).
That’s because we lost Pogba for most of that period.

Liverpool away was a great point regardless of what people think on here. They are no mugs and actually defend well at home.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The state of this thread. Would not believe we we're 2nd, still in the CL still have the FA cup to play for.

Considering the last 4 years and where we are now, I don't get what fans are expecting. You can't blame any one thing on the season we're having for the simple reason that cities form is an anomaly, if it were normal we'd probably be top right now. Regardless still, if you said to any united fan at the beginning of the season would you take 2nd and a good showing in Europe, they'd all bite your hand off. Suddenly when we're there, it's not good enough because the grass a greener. A lot of the posters on this forum need to have words with themselves.

Merlin 1975-78

Attitude. I just think some of our players totally forget the importance of playing for a club like Manchester United.
Sadly it is very hard too argue with that particular statement at the moment, as you are totely correct & we can only hope & prey that they start too make us eat humble pie sooner rather than later.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
After so much spending we still :
1) play with jones- smalling combo. They are good. Period. Not very good and defo not united quality.
2) we don't have matchwinner. We don't have goalscoring winger like neymar, robben, hazard who can win us games with one special move
3) we have city who has perfect season that masks our in truth very good season so far

In short - bad spending plus city

Bojan11

After so much spending we still :
1) play with jones- smalling combo. They are good. Period. Not very good and defo not united quality.
2) we don't have matchwinner. We don't have goalscoring winger like neymar, robben, hazard who can win us games with one special move
3) we have city who has perfect season that masks our in truth very good season so far

In short - bad spending plus city
After spending in the summer, we didn’t improve the attack.

Lukaku was just a swap for Ibrahimovic. Our next two attackers need to be in the special category.

Giggs86

There are literally zero players on the pitch that you can trust to close out a game. When we had leaders at every position on the pitch you could've sit down and relax knowing that they have the intelligence and composure to keep possession and milk the clock. Matic and Pogba should've been doing exactly that today but the problem is that none of them is a leader.
Just go and watch our second leg vs Barca in the 2007/8 semis or almost any other CL tie that we needed to close out under Fergie and compare the attitude on the pitch then vs what we've seen today.
Back then players were held accountable by Fergie and their teammates. Nowadays it seems like horror capitulations like we've witnessed today are being taken too lightly. I would honestly fear for my life stepping into Fergie's post match dressing room after a game like today.

Lentwood

I would say the only problem we had yesterday was decision making.

- Why did Smalling continue at CB despite not being able to move?

- Why was Smalling, who again could hardly move, picking up their biggest player for the goal?

- Why Rashford not just shoot or pass? That was the worst most half-hearted attempt to round a GK I’ve seen in a long time

- Why didn’t we run the ball into the corner? Why did Matic try and play a throughball to Lukaku with 92mins on the clock when Rashford has just turned down a much easier ball through in order to keep possession?

- Why did Mhiki pass the ball sideways to a Leicester play when offered a free shot 5yrds out?

- Why didn’t Lingard steady himself after rounding Schmeichel? He could have had more touches and/or squared it for a tap in

AshRK

I would say the only problem we had yesterday was decision making.

- Why did Smalling continue at CB despite not being able to move?

- Why was Smalling, who again could hardly move, picking up their biggest player for the goal?

- Why Rashford not just shoot or pass? That was the worst most half-hearted attempt to round a GK I’ve seen in a long time

- Why didn’t we run the ball into the corner? Why did Matic try and play a throughball to Lukaku with 92mins on the clock when Rashford has just turned down a much easier ball through in order to keep possession?

- Why did Mhiki pass the ball sideways to a Leicester play when offered a free shot 5yrds out?

- Why didn’t Lingard steady himself after rounding Schmeichel? He could have had more touches and/or squared it for a tap in
That was shocking. It reminded when we were leading 1-0 qt the bridge under van gaal and Memphis who had acres of space to pass but misplaced it and we lost possession and then conceded. Rashford yesterday should be ashamed. I am a big fan of his but that was unacceptable. If he didn't want to attack then at least run to the corner and waste time. He did neither but let all Leicester players come and then passed to lukaku and it got messy from there. I am fuming while writing.

Lentwood

That was shocking. It reminded when we were leading 1-0 qt the bridge under van gaal and Memphis who had acres of space to pass but misplaced it and we lost possession and then conceded. Rashford yesterday should be ashamed. I am a big fan of his but that was unacceptable. If he didn't want to attack then at least run to the corner and waste time. He did neither but let all Leicester players come and then passed to lukaku and it got messy from there. I am fuming while writing.
TBH I was more annoyed at Matic as the senior player. Watching it live I was yelling at Rashford to make the pass but in hindsight it was better not to risk it.

What Matic did then was unforgivable. A 20yo has just realised now is the time to kill the game and keep possession and your 29yo holding midfielder with hundreds of top flight appearances tries an eye of the needle pass to a player who is offside anyway having made the run once already for Rashford!

Had we kept the ball in that situation and either ran it into the corner or just moved it around (against 10 tired players!) we would have won.

I wonder if the absolute panic Smallings injury caused was playing on the minds of some of the players?

gavdim2002

Why any panic conc. the injury, we only bacame 10 vs. 10 for 3-4 min. Should be able to cope with that being Man Utd and leading beyond the 90 min.

Fahad Jawaid

Our biggest problem is lack of control in matches against any half decent side that is willing to press and have a go at us, we resort to hoofing it long. This has been our problem for some time and which has not been addressed (during Moyes, Van gaal and even later stages of Fergie era), however Mourinho with the signings of Pogba and Matic have somewhat improved this aspect of our side but still it is not at the level of top sides and this will continue to be the case unless we sign better technical players who are comfortable on ball all over the pitch.

The sad truth is we have no CB's who are good on ball except Lindelof, who is still adapting to the league. Our fullbacks are the same as CB's. Valencia is the best among them at keeping the ball though, however his final pass and crossing lets him down. Our midfield is our most strongest area however Pogba is still raw and i don't think he is ever going to be a CM who controls the match like Scholes, Verrati, Pirlo, Xavi etc. Then we lack a number 10 who is comfortable on the ball, who can link up with wide players and play through Lukaku. Its essential we not only sign these players, but the players must be technically apt only then we can compete with top sides.

Its kind of sad how much money we have wasted on poor signings. I would also blame Mourinho to the extent that he has been here for 2 summers windows now, and he should know better that, these players are awful at seeing the game out. The same has been the case for several years and most recently Against Bournemouth, Westbrom etc, then why do we persist with the same tactics. Whenever we are put under pressure, our players freeze and start hoofing the ball out. Its 100% down to personnel tbh with the likes of Young, Smalling, Herrera and Rojo the most prone to this hoofing under pressure. I was shocked how Young kept punting in forward without any pressure, then at the 90th minute mark he played a simple pass out for throw in.

Then along with bottlers, we have thick players in Rashford and Miki who lose the ball without being put under pressure, so no wonder they act irrational under crucial moments. People wonder why City are soo good on the ball, before that Barca, Bayern etc. All those teams have players who are good on the ball and technically very good which allows them to beat the first press and play the ball in space. Yesterday during El-Classico the perfect example was the Busquet's pass to Rakitic when he was pressed. It opened up the whole game for others. We need players in the middle and from CB positions specially who can pick out passes between the lines.

Hammondo

As it shows clearly against Leicester we have no midfield leader who runs the game. No general, no one dictating the game.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Eh? Maybe today the problem was more a lack of finishing, but in general we lack leadership on the pitch. Even today we could have used someone to organize our defense at the end without forcing an almost immobile Smalling to cover the far post.
But wasting tones of chances on the other end cost as way more. Right now we need to upgrade our attack with proven world class talent rather than worry about leaders. We have a young team so leaders will develop organically. We can't afford to wait for that in attack.

Marcky411

United looked better with 3 at the back, 2 strikers and Lingard as the runner behind. Why has Mourinho reverted back to a 4-2-3-1 again lately?
God alone knows, he somehow likes to shoot himself in the foot and then blame everything and everyone around him.

ghagua

Coaching! We have seen other managers coach decent football out of the players that are less talented than the United Squad. We have players like Pogba, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku and we still play attacking football like a league 2 side against decent opposition.

Mylock

God alone knows, he somehow likes to shoot himself in the foot and then blame everything and everyone around him.
Our problem is the lack of leaders in the team. We currently lack players like Bruce, Robbo, keane, rio and vidic. How many times have we reversed a scoreline lately when we're behind? Jose needs to sign a few players who have the mental strength to play for united. We're also have problems for the last few year's as an attacking team, struggling to break down teams which hasn't been addressed. Some very poor signings since fergie left, a lot of money spent on players not up to it. Up to Jose to solve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Green_Red

You gotta love the Adidas Originals range. I just received my 1990 away jersey in the post. First got this jersey on my 8th birthday in 1990. Made me look up where we were at that time. We had finished 13th in the 89/90 league, Cov City had finished above us in 12th! Makes you realise, we're not doing too badly at the minute are we!..

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I would like to see us go to 442 with two great wingers and letting the opposition worry about stopping us rather than United worrying about stopping the opposition. We need to play like we’re not afraid of losing instead of setting up to play for the safe point.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We are reduced to a team that depends on Ashley Young's crosses. Thats how bad we have become.

settembrini

I wonder how much worse our results will have to be a with back 4 as opposed to a back 3 before more people realise it's a problem. Our squad is comically imbalanced for the formation our manager most likes to play.

AndyJ1985

The same problems persist every season and nothing is done about them. We all said in the summer we lacked width and needed full backs & wingers, but we didn't even attempt to fix it. Low and behold here we are relying on Ashley Young for width. fecking ridiculous.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We don't look like a team with any sort of coherent plan. We are basically relying on individuals to win us game rather than performing together as a team and a collective unit. We are just hoping that Pogba turns in a brilliant performance with multiple assists, or that Young delivers an inch perfect cross, or that Martial dribbles past a few players and scores some goals. We hardly see team moves, team off the ball movement or the team functioning like a well oiled machine. It is just not good enough from Jose and his coaching staff. The players have bottled it as well.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
We don't look like a team with any sort of coherent plan. We are basically relying on individuals to win us game rather than performing together as a team and a collective unit. We are just hoping that Pogba turns in a brilliant performance with multiple.... assists, or that Young delivers an inch perfect cross, or that Martial dribbles past a few players and scores some goals. We hardly see team moves, team off the ball movement or the team functioning like a well oiled machine. It is just not good enough from Jose and his coaching staff. The players have bottled it as well.
This seems to be the common consensus - there isn't a style of football being played. It's a mismatch of players, styles and attitudes. Been the same way for 3/4 years now. We need to put a stamp on our style and just go with that style. fecking infuriating tbh, 300m spent and we play as individuals rather than a team. Zlatan seems like he's just here for a final paycheck and mourinho couldn't give a feck.

We've all noticed this lack of coherent plan and yet it just continues? Wouldn't be surprised if it got worse, I just don't think Mourinho cares as much anymore.

dichinero

Now that Pogba has been back for the last 3 games, I'm going to say that we are missing Valencia. Watch us fly when he comes back.

Eriku

This seems to be the common consensus - there isn't a style of football being played. It's a mismatch of players, styles and attitudes. Been the same way for 3/4 years now. We need to put a stamp on our style and just go with that style. fecking infuriating tbh, 300m spent and we play as individuals rather than a team. Zlatan seems like he's just here for a final paycheck and mourinho couldn't give a feck.

We've all noticed this lack of coherent plan and yet it just continues? Wouldn't be surprised if it got worse, I just don't think Mourinho cares as much anymore.
What nonsense. He's just back from a hell of an injury, especially considering his age, and his performances for us last season clearly showed that this isn't just a final pay-day.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Past it manager

Rubbish coaches

A whole bunch of rubbish, nothing players (that we’ve spent a fortune on) with loser mentalities that think they’re better than they are.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Brain fart defending and very poor attacking outlets. No creativity. Even with almost all our attacking threats on (bar Martial), we created feck all from Lingards first goal until late on. That’s dismal. Rashford, Mata, Mhki - all poor outlets. Jesse despite all the flack he gets, the only one not predictable

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think we are a few players short. I think we've been a little unlucky at times. We just need to get some stability back. And then improve the team. The transfer window could be important for us.

Jeffthered

Absolutely agree. The guts and sense of playing tradition has been lost at United and the recent managers cannot deal with that. They think their past successes and 'philosophy' will override a tradition and expectation that has defined the club for decades, even before SAF.

No attacking strategy and lumping balls into the box gets you the sack at OT. That's fact.

willowisp

We haven't played well since we got beat by city, understandable really.
They are only human. If we finish top 4, its progress. Take it and move on.

Bojan11

We have no consistent attacker. That is the issue.

Lukaku isn’t going to be it. Rashford has been abysmal. Martial is hot and cold. Mkhitaryan hasn’t turned up since the fourth game of the season. Mata has been here nearly four years and never been consistent.