What next for Gareth Bale?

el3mel

Why would he want or need peoples respect though? He has nothing to prove. He's already achieved everything. He should accept being pushed out of a well paid job into a lesser paid job because of some infantile notion of respect?! feck that for a laugh. Take the money.
I have seen players older than him, achieved everything and kept pushing and playing on top level when they're 35 and plus, so no I'll never get it.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I have seen players older than him, achieved everything and kept pushing and playing on top level when they're 35 and plus, so no I'll never get it.
Why would Bale care if you get it or not? He's won more than most of those 35 year olds. He's not got anything to prove, he's done it all.

el3mel

Why would Bale care if you get it or not? He's won more than most of those 35 year olds. He's not got anything to prove, he's done it all.
I'll never get that either. It's a football forum. Of course we're going to say our opinions on a player moving from one club to another. If we take it by guaranteed that every player is right about his decisions and he won't care about opinions on his movement, then there's no point of this forum, at all.

Dec9003

I'll never get that either. It's a football forum. Of course we're going to say our opinions on a player moving from one club to another. If we take it by guaranteed that every player is right about his decisions and he won't care about opinions on his movement, then there's no point of this forum, at all.
That's just not true is it.
The idea that bale wouldn't care about your opinion of him wouldn't make the forum pointless.
You're allowed to state your opinion, but others are allowed to not only point out why it's a bit of a silly one, and that Bale won't be interested about what you think of him.
Like I said, he's got nothing to prove, he's a champion.
Do you have no respect for Cantona? He retired very early to pursue acting in France and play beach football.

el3mel

That's just not true is it.
The idea that bale wouldn't care about your opinion of him wouldn't make the forum pointless.
You're allowed to state your opinion, but others are allowed to not only point out why it's a bit of a silly one, and that Bale won't be interested about what you think of him.
Like I said, he's got nothing to prove, he's a champion.
Do you have no respect for Cantona? He retired very early to pursue acting in France and play beach football.
He's free to do what he want, it's not like discussing it here is going to change his opinion. :lol: But as much as he's free to do it, we're also free to point that it's stupid decision. You can feel free to think it's the right decision for him, no one has pointed otherwise.

Dec9003

He's free to do what he want, it's not like discussing it here is going to change his opinion. :lol: But as much as he's free to do it, we're also free to point that it's stupid decision. You can feel free to think it's the right decision for him, no one has pointed otherwise.
You didn't answer my question, do you have no respect for Cantona, who retired early to be an actor?

el3mel

You didn't answer my question, do you have no respect for Cantona, who retired early to be an actor?
I don't get the example. Retiring from football while you're at the top and still being active while totally irrelevant just to collect money don't look like an equal scenario for me. I'll prefer retiring earlier, of course.

Dec9003

I don't get the example. Retiring from football while you're at the top and still being active while totally irrelevant just to collect money don't look like an equal scenario for me. I'll prefer retiring earlier, of course.
If you don't understand the similarity then I can't help you.

el3mel

If you don't understand the similarity then I can't help you.
You're totally fine with agreeing on his view of his career but I don't get why you feel weird there're others who don't feel that at all. He can always move to China whenever he wants for the same amount of money, it's not like this a one in time offer, so why not stay active and relevant till he's totally washed out if he wants to keep playing ? If his all aim at the current age is collecting money, it's his career of course and he's fine to do what he wants but I'm also fine to say it's stupid.

Dec9003

You're totally fine with agreeing on his view of his career but I don't get why you feel weird there're others who don't feel that at all. He can always move to China whenever he wants for the same amount of money, it's not like this a one in time offer, so why not stay active and relevant till he's totally washed out if he wants to keep playing ? If his all aim at the current age is collecting money, it's his career of course and he's fine to do what he wants but I'm also fine to say it's stupid.
You just answered your own question.
You're just repeating yourself now, along with repeating what I said to you.

el3mel

You just answered your own question.
You're just repeating yourself now, along with repeating what I said to you.
Not really. As I said the point isn't about him caring about opinions or not. That's a strange way to look at any matter regarding footballer. We're talking about if his decision is right or stupid. I don't give a feck if he's not caring about opinions, because talking on internet isn't going to change it.

Anyway you're right. It's time to stop here.

Green_Red

He needs to accept a pay cut and move somewhere he'll be appreciated. Whats the point in staying at Real if theyre going to let you rot on the bench. Seems a pointless exercise. Move somewhere else and start afresh with a new positive challenge. Believing youre too good to go to certain clubs is not a good sign really.

Dec9003

Not really. As I said the point isn't about him caring about opinions or not. That's a strange way to look at any matter regarding footballer. We're talking about if his decision is right or stupid. I don't give a feck if he's not caring about opinions, because talking on internet isn't going to change it.

Anyway you're right. It's time to stop here.
You don't really have a point to be honest.
Your point was that any player should stay at the top for as long as possible, yet when I brought up Cantona blatantly not doing that you just backtracked to repeating what you'd said earlier.
It seems you're mainly aggravated that Bale will be making a lot of money, and you're choosing to disguise it by saying you're annoyed that he's not trying to stay in the top leagues.

Green_Red

Cantona didnt retire early "to be an actor". He retired because he didnt have any love for playing football anymore. He has said as much himself. He lived that if he ever fell out of love with football he would retire. Which is what he did. Becoming an actor was just what happened. He is also a poet and a sketch artist/painter too by the way.

Dec9003

Cantona didnt retire early "to be an actor". He retired because he didnt have any love for playing football anymore. He has said as much himself. He lived that if he ever fell out of love with football he would retire. Which is what he did. Becoming an actor was just what happened. He is also a poet and a sketch artist/painter too by the way.
Even if that's the case, what's the difference between them beyond the fact that bale will be making a million a week?

Green_Red

Even if that's the case, what's the difference between them beyond the fact that bale will be making a million a week?
Sorry Im not sure what your original point was, I was just correcting your comment about Cantonas retirement.

el3mel

You don't really have a point to be honest.
Your point was that any player should stay at the top for as long as possible, yet when I brought up Cantona blatantly not doing that you just backtracked to repeating what you'd said earlier.
It seems you're mainly aggravated that Bale will be making a lot of money, and you're choosing to disguise it by saying you're annoyed that he's not trying to stay in the top leagues.
As I said I don't see any kind of similarity between retiring while you're on the top and choosing to become totally irrelevant as a footballer for the sake of collecting money. Of course the first situation will put a better image for you in people's heads.

"Aggravated" yeah he's taking that money I would have earned instead of him. Similar discussions happened here when Oscar moved to China for collecting money and I said the same opinion and people also defended the decision and he didn't even win half what Bale won. I'll never get a footballer deciding to become totally irrelevant when he can still be just for the sake of money, something he can collect whenever he wants. If you can get that and fine with it, ok.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And he so shills for Paddy Power, don't forget that!

Someone

Something
Bale has won a lot of trophies but still don't think he has the respect other world class players enjoy. There's a long list of nobodies that have won league titles, CLs, and world cups, so it's not just about adding trophies.

I don't fault him for going after money, but you can't help but think that he could've done so much more.

Dec9003

And he so shills for Paddy Power, don't forget that!
I'd honestly argue that's worse than Bale going to China to collect his money, gambling is fecking horrible.
Although i suppose it depends how the people paying Bale earn their millions.

Kag

Moving to China just makes Zidane’s decision to bin him all the more justifiable.

If Bale had anything about him then he’d be pushing for a move to another club in Europe to reaffirm his status as one of the world’s best players.

duffer

Scout
Moving to China just makes Zidane’s decision to bin him all the more justifiable.

If Bale had anything about him then he’d be pushing for a move to another club in Europe to reaffirm his status as one of the world’s best players.
Which top clubs in Europe want him?

Green_Red

:lol:
The guy has had a fantastic career, better than most players can ever hope for.
Moving to a retirement league and earning a load of money is nothing to be ashamed of.
I find it a bit weird that so many people get aggravated by a player moving to a lesser league for money, why does it bother you so much?
I guess its a case of what motivates people. Bale is clearly motivated by money because 1. He is unwilling to take a pay cut and move somewhere in Europe and 2. Whilst he still has a lot to offer he is willing to go to China to play in a nothing league. I personally prefer people that are motivated by a challenge or by their love of the game.

Thats the difference between Cantona and Bale. Cantona played football because he loved it. Bale doesnt play football for the love of the game because he'd rather sit on the bench and collect a paycheck. Cantona would rather retire from football because he didnt feel the love for the game than just go through the motions for a paycheck. Bale is driven only by money because he could name any club in Europe that would take him, and clubs that could compete for top honours, but he'd rather go to a nothing league jsut for the money.

Some people dont like characters like that.

But he is not the same as Cantona. Not even comparable.

duffer

Scout
I imagine many of them, provided it is cost effective.

Unless you believe that China is Bale’s only option?
I don't think anyone had made any offers recently, have they?

He'd have to give up £300k a week to go and play for someone else in Europe and that's simply ludicrous to suggest as an option.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Does anyone actually blame him if China are offering 1 million a week?

Of course its disappointing for the good of the game etc. He could easily give aother 2 or 3 years for any team.

But 1 million pound a week..

Bestietom

I don't think anyone had made any offers recently, have they?

He'd have to give up £300k a week to go and play for someone else in Europe and that's simply ludicrous to suggest as an option.
He is on 600k a week at Madrid he can earn 1million a week in china. gone mad, they will all be wanting to go there.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why Zidane wants him gone anyway? He is one of their best players despite everything.
I mean he is better than Vilnicius or Asensio or Lucas. Strange decision.
@carvajal

Nico87

Why Zidane wants him gone anyway? He is one of their best players despite everything.
@carvajal
Isn’t the belief that they want to allocate his wages on the proposed Pogba deal, that was the angle the press were going with anyway.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal
He doesn´t defend, he is inconsistent and in the time in which Madrid needed him, he did not show any leadership (reason why I think Zidane is tired of him).
I think they never got along but since Zidane´s last season things got much worse. Bale with bad faces on the bench or taking too much time to warm up or change.
These moments were accompanied by Barnett statements that did not help.

Now it is pure stubbornness of both. Bale for insisting on staying when he has been warned and Zidane's, who already lost this battle with Bale a year ago. Barnett saying that Zidane is a disgrace was in the end a blessing.

On the other hand, Bale releases a lot of money, which will be used to pay who we all know

MalcolmTucker

Whenever I watched Bale he was either invisible and misplacing basic passes or scoring amazing/crucial goals.

Think the view from people who seldom watch Real Madrid is different from the fans who watch him week in/week out (or rather, when he actually is fit)

AlwaysRed66

People keep saying Bales won all this at Madrid. In fairness any decent player would have. The more relevant question is how much the club would have won without Ronaldo? Without Bale I expect it wouldn't have been much different.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
People keep saying Bales won all this at Madrid. In fairness any decent player would have. The more relevant question is how much the club would have won without Ronaldo? Without Bale I expect it wouldn't have been much different.
He may not have been the single most influential factor, but he still had a huge impact and scored loads of important goals. 102 goals and 65 assists in 231 games (many as a sub) is quite good.

duffer

Scout
He may not have been the single most influential factor, but he still had a huge impact and scored loads of important goals. 102 goals and 65 assists in 231 games (many as a sub) is quite good.
Considering he is not a centre forward and didn't take penalties, that return is a fair bit better than "quite good"!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Whenever I watched Bale he was either invisible and misplacing basic passes or scoring amazing/crucial goals.

Think the view from people who seldom watch Real Madrid is different from the fans who watch him week in/week out (or rather, when he actually is fit)
This is pretty much how he's been in 4 of his 6 seasons. With last season the amazing goals/performances mostly dried up as well. He played basically half the time he was here, and within that, half of it was amazing, the other half shockingly poor, or lacking fitness

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Considering he is not a centre forward and didn't take penalties, that return is a fair bit better than "quite good"!
Yeah for sure, that's what I meant with 'quite good'. I feel his contribution to Real Madrid has been undervalued

Bwuk

Think he’s going to be a bit under rated as time goes on due to his move to Madrid never really panning out.

Clearly the best British player of his generation, and arguably better than the previous generations (Rooney).

Dec9003

I guess its a case of what motivates people. Bale is clearly motivated by money because 1. He is unwilling to take a pay cut and move somewhere in Europe and 2. Whilst he still has a lot to offer he is willing to go to China to play in a nothing league. I personally prefer people that are motivated by a challenge or by their love of the game.

Thats the difference between Cantona and Bale. Cantona played football because he loved it. Bale doesnt play football for the love of the game because he'd rather sit on the bench and collect a paycheck. Cantona would rather retire from football because he didnt feel the love for the game than just go through the motions for a paycheck. Bale is driven only by money because he could name any club in Europe that would take him, and clubs that could compete for top honours, but he'd rather go to a nothing league jsut for the money.

Some people dont like characters like that.

But he is not the same as Cantona. Not even comparable.
They're not comparable, except in the ways they are.
If Cantona was retiring today, maybe he would go to China for the million a week instead, we don't know.
Let's go with your idea that bale has fallen out of love with the game (like Cantona)
If that's the case, why would he take a pay cut to play for a European side? We don't even know if any team that would win trophies would want him.
Both players clearly feel like they had proven themselves and were finished as players in a top European league.
One chose to retire, the other has chosen to make a huge amount of money for himself, that's the only real difference.
I think the problem is you're under the assumption that Bale never loved football, which is, of course, utterly ridiculous.

He'sRaldo

They're not comparable, except in the ways they are.
If Cantona was retiring today, maybe he would go to China for the million a week instead, we don't know.
Let's go with your idea that bale has fallen out of love with the game (like Cantona)
If that's the case, why would he take a pay cut to play for a European side? We don't even know if any team that would win trophies would want him.
Both players clearly feel like they had proven themselves and were finished as players in a top European league.
One chose to retire, the other has chosen to make a huge amount of money for himself, that's the only real difference.
I think the problem is you're under the assumption that Bale never loved football, which is, of course, utterly ridiculous.
Another thing to consider is the injuries. I'm sure they cause him a lot of pain and trouble, to the point where even if he does indeed still love football, he'd question whether it's wise to continue at the highest level. For his own health.