What next for Mourinho?

ti vu

Top players cost a lot of money regardless of name pull. Hazard who has a year left is going to cost £80m+.
On if they had nothing to lose. Yes they have. The season is over for them. Why make a decision now? Is Mourinho the right man to rebuild this Madrid side? A side with a lot of young players?
Eriksen, Toby would be affordable. 80mil is nothing.

Welcome to Madrid where decision have to be swift and all. Mourinho can be sacked before the season end if he's to fail, but that's the way. Result dictates everything.

I don't have answer for that lot of young players question. For all we know plan can change after few results and they would go all out for more experienced players while sending young players for loan.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Madrid is a far bigger pull than Mourinho will ever be. I doubt players care all that much about him being manager, worst case scenario they ride out a rough 2 years while playing for the club of their dreams.

cyberman

Madrid is a far bigger pull than Mourinho will ever be. I doubt players care all that much about him being manager, worst case scenario they ride out a rough 2 years while playing for the club of their dreams.
We had United players willing to walk out on us? Then every other transfer story ending with not wanting to work for Jose defensive tactics

Greck

I wonder which promising talent he will have sold. Hope we're ready to capitalize

dove

Eriksen, Toby would be affordable. 80mil is nothing.

Welcome to Madrid where decision have to be swift and all. Mourinho can be sacked before the season end if he's to fail, but that's the way. Result dictates everything.

I don't have answer for that lot of young players question. For all we know plan can change after few results and they would go all out for more experienced players while sending young players for loan.
80m is not nothing, it's like 20% of the annual revenue, especially as they are renovating their stadium which will be costly as well (if they are still doing it).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
After what happened at Chelsea and then us this could be the final nail in his coffin

If he were smart he'd avoid the Real Madrid job like the plague and go for a much surer bet where he can pick up some easy trophies

mu4c_20le

He'll need to rejuvenate that squad, as it is a joke right now. They'll want to make a statement after this embarrassment of a season, so i think Neymar is almost a dead cert to join them. Fun times ahead.

ti vu

How many talented attackers will work under Jose after his United stint?
Its a strange choice, especially with their invest in youth movement.
The thing is their initial plan going into the season is invest in young players so to keep the cost low while having one eye of moving older players out Ronaldo. Backfired. The way it is going, Perez wouldn't last until next election. Madrid is no place to afford anyone to turn it around. It's not a long term choice to begin with so another short choice is no surprise.

Players come to Madrid is not just for Mourinho. He may be removed quickly in the future too. They come their for the glamor of the club. Unlike us, Madrid fans could boo Ronaldo, so the players have always to respond directly to fan cristicism. So they're playing for their career too, Mourinho or not.

Bojan11

After what happened at Chelsea and then us this could be the final nail in his coffin

If he were smart he'd avoid the Real Madrid job like the plague and go for a much surer bet where he can pick up some easy trophies
Like where?

Bayern will never hire him. You saw how he was responding to Juventus fans. PSG seem to be keeping faith with Tuchel.

ti vu

80m is not nothing, it's like 20% of the annual revenue, especially as they are renovating their stadium which will be costly as well (if they are still doing it).
It's not paid in one payment. And knowing Perez, it's not past him to gamble with loan. He fecking spent 200+Mil a decade ago with borrowing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's also somehow a positive and a negative that two big clubs hire the same manager twice.
On another note, is it possible he torpedoed our season knowing this job was waiting?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We had United players willing to walk out on us? Then every other transfer story ending with not wanting to work for Jose defensive tactics
Madrid are a far bigger pull than United in recent times and have a much more unforgiving culture. Pogba would not in a million years get away with what he did with us at Madrid because they'd just bench him and the fans would cuss him out of the club. Bale, Isco, James, Di Maria, Ozil, Higauin found out the hard way the power of Madrid and their fans.

Madrid are an especially cnutish club. They don't care what you've done, they'll get rid, manager or player. Also transfer stories like that are meaningless, Sanchez was reported to be smitten with Guardiola and he ended up joining us, manager preference doesn't mean all that much.

Borden

Madrid are a far bigger pull than United in recent times and have a much more unforgiving culture. Pogba would not in a million years get away with what he did with us at Madrid because they'd just bench him and the fans would cuss him out of the club. Bale, Isco, James, Di Maria, Ozil, Higauin found out the hard way the power of Madrid and their fans.

Madrid are an especially cnutish club. They don't care what you've done, they'll get rid, manager or player.
What did he do?

ti vu

It's also somehow a positive and a negative that two big clubs hire the same manager twice.
On another note, is it possible he torpedoed our season knowing this job was waiting?
The rumor has been here since Zidane quit, so anything possible. Perhaps not to extend of Mourinho simply quit working, but rather distracted.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Put a bid in for Ramos, he's top draw still.

cyberman

Madrid are an especially cnutish club. They don't care what you've done, they'll get rid, manager or player.
Thats why they'll be weary of joining when Jose is there. An attacking player is more likely to under perform under Jose and he will get roasted by the crowd because of it.
Its all relative, there were many rumours of our stars wanting to leave if Jose stayed and they're in the process of resigning contracts now that he's gone. That's not because Madrid has a bigger pull than United, it's because he doesn't allow the modern player to fully express himself.
Especially against this Barca side and especially after their recent success. It can become toxic so quickly over there.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What did he do?
Performances like Spurs, Southampton, Newcastle, West Brom last season. Fans booed Ronaldo because he had a slow start to the season, they attack Bale's car because he played badly. Madrid fans are different gravy and Perez gets rid of players without a second thought.

Thats why they'll be weary of joining when Jose is there. An attacking player is more likely to under perform under Jose and he will get roasted by the crowd because of it.
Its all relative, there were many rumours of our stars wanting to leave if Jose stayed and they're in the process of resigning contracts now that he's gone. That's not because Madrid has a bigger pull than United, it's because he doesn't allow the modern player to fully express himself.
Especially against this Barca side and especially after their recent success. It can become toxic so quickly over there.
No it's because he turned into a cnut over time. It's madness to suggest his tactics were what turned the players when we just beat PSG away with 29% possession.

Mourinho's tactics are NOT the problem, he uses virtually the same framework as Simeone and Aleggri. His man management has always been what has cost him his job, he turns into a loose canon over time and picks fight with players to try to get a response from them and they get sick of it.

ti vu

You missed another side of coin: just streak of bad result and the head coach can be gone at Madrid. Madrid players do have more power. So it's not like they're afraid of sticking with any coach for forever. We however, stick with this long term principle. So our players don't know how long before change being made. Madrid players have more power to speed up the progress. And with Perez making it a threesome, they're pushing each other. Failure and parting is around the corner but if anyone's to fail, replacement would be quickly in place: players, head coach, president. A very different dynamism from ours.

This Barcelona side is beatable. The spotlight for Madrid super stars are there for grab. It's a compelling challenge not many footballer would resist.

cyberman

You missed another side of coin: just streak of bad result and the head coach can be gone at Madrid. Madrid players do have more power. So it's not like they're afraid of sticking with any coach for forever. We however, stick with this long term principle. So our players don't know before change sbeing made.

This Barcelona side is beatable. The spotlight for Madrid super stars are there for grab. It's a compelling challenge not many footballer would resist.
Then they can wait and join until after Jose is gone? I don't even know who is attainable for them? They have tried to sign players over the last few years, they just don't get them then slyly blame wages or fees as an excuse.
I don't think they're so far ahead of the rest in terms of pull anymore. Not many players are willing to kick up a fuss to get out of cash rich clubs that have more power than they did a decade ago.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I’d personally rather see them get Klopp because he’s doing good things at Liverpool and I want that broken up. Mourinho going there would be hilarious though.

AndyJ1985

I think you'd have to be mental to want Jose as a manager at any level. He's a bitter and broken man who thinks the world is out to get him. He'll pick fights with anyone and everyone and alienate all but his most loyal of followers. Maybe he could win a few trophies at clubs like PSG and Barcelona who already have teams capable of beating anyone. But what's the point? He'll only destroy it all eventually.

ti vu

Then they can wait and join until after Jose is gone? I don't even know who is attainable for them? They have tried to sign players over the last few years, they just don't get them then slyly blame wages or fees as an excuse.
I don't think they're so far ahead of the rest in terms of pull anymore. Not many players ar willing to kick up a fuss to get out of cash rich clubs that have more power than they did a decade ago.
The thing is with Madrid ever changing plan, nobody can be sure they have second chance of joining. Hell, they don't know whether they can perform as well the following season at their current clubs, getting injuries, coaching decision change... Also remember that Perez is impulsive. He has a habit of going after flavor of the year. Taste changes.

Madrid pays well and like their head coaches situation, failing at Madrid doesn't mean the end of the world. Players may still have great career afterward. So the gamble is to take this chance or risk never having it.

From my perspective, the past few season it's Perez's idea to buy young players while halting his Galaticos purchase. Young players they did successfully buy some tasty. They didn't fail in their recruiting department. Plan changed now. Time will tell.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I’d personally rather see them get Klopp because he’s doing good things at Liverpool and I want that broken up. Mourinho going there would be hilarious though.
Things could be worse. Mourinho still has the knack of building good squads. The only problem is that he falls out with them after getting 2 years from them. Looking at where we were after LVG, he bought some proper dross. Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, Lindelof and Dalot are key members of our team, with better management they are much better.

Steffan Findley

Things could be worse. Mourinho still has the knack of building good squads. The only problem is that he falls out with them after getting 2 years from them. Looking at where we were after LVG, he bought some proper dross. Pogba, Zlatan, Matic, Lukaku, Lindelof and Dalot all look like good players or potential good players. The only proper flop has been Mkhi and Sanchez, Fred and Bailly are up in the air.
I agree about Fred. I was excited about him as a prospect when we bought him, but from what I've seen so far he's not impressed. Seems to run away from the ball and hold back from closing down or making any kind of a challenge on the opposition.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I was Mourinho in until the bitter end but since he's left I've had to admit I was wrong, not just about his ability to take Man Utd forward but about the man too.

If he ends up at Real Madrid it raises serious questions over Mourinho's character. Questions I had previously dismissed but now have to entertain: Did he deliberately sabotage our season to walk away with a pay off just cos he sniffed the Madrid job might become available? Did he do the same to Chelsea because he saw blood in the water with Van Gaal?

You look back at events where you gave him the benefit of the doubt and start to think maybe the ones saying it was all an act were right. At the end of the day Jose is for Jose. Nobody else.

Tiber

Dunno what is next for the **** , but today he forced to be nice about Ole :lol:

We would have lost by 4 goals over two legs if The Toxic One was still dragging us down to his pathetic level