What next for Mourinho?

Greck

Inter has not lost to Milan in a while so this might not be his weekend. PSG seems made for Jose. Short term, super star mercenaries, plenty of money, champions league football, and fair chance to win in Europe, another domestic league title in another country, etc.

By the way, good to see that the Milan teams are in the running for champions league spots again. Would be nice to see them in Europe again.
No team that has and panders to Neymar will ever be a good fit for Jose. PSG is a player's club not a manager's club. We were probably the last manager's club in football and Jose still screwed that up.

Kapardin

Mourinho was 'finished' in 2010. Everything else after was him ticking things off his bucket list. Managing the biggest club in Spain and England, having a go at a long term project (and failing). He is not like SAF, who has an endless hunger and is big enough to change the face of English football. He's already won everything at club level and lost part of his competitive edge because of it.

I think the best course of action is to follow Ancelotti and manage a 2nd tier club looking to improve or manage Portugal. He cannot handle the egos that come with 1st tier clubs anymore. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Chelsea a third time.
Well, I think he realises his situation and will accept Inter. It's not exactly second tier as with a few tweaks, Inter can regain some of their glory, but it's no ready-made big job either.

I do wonder what he was thinking the last six months at United. He knew he had left the club with no other choice than to sack him (yet again) and he probably doesn't understand that he's ruining his own career.
He knew he couldn't compete with Pep and wanted his pay-off. I assume he was betting on either Real or PSG hiring him with Inter as a back-up. Looks like the back-up is alone realistic.

Djemba-Djemba

Well, let's wait and see. You are right though, I do like the chap. More out of my natural affinity for villains in sports. Football needs pricks like Jose. :lol: I mean that's what makes the game the game, isn't it? The good, the bad and the ugly.

On a serious note, I totally agree that his options are thinning out. He has a few cards left and he absolutely has to play them right otherwise, it's curtains on his career.
I can't understand for the life of me how anybody, particularly any Utd fan, could like Mourinho unless you're just a contrarian.

He's a miserable grumpy arsehole 24/7 and his teams play mind numbingly boring football. And lose a lot.

There's nothing about Modern Mourinho to like.

Kapardin

I can't understand for the life of me how anybody, particularly any Utd fan, could like Mourinho unless you're just a contrarian.

He's a miserable grumpy arsehole 24/7 and his teams play mind numbingly boring football. And lose a lot.

He was likeable until 2014. I wanted him at United based on that arrogant charm he had, and the way he created a siege mentality.

Unfortunately, he was broken by the time we hired him and was all about protecting his own rep rather than being sincerely concerned about the state of our club.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In one of his biggest detractors but I don't think he's finished. He's not the only coach with personality flaws. His biggest failings are tactical and that isn't a hurdle that cannot be crossed.

Eric7C

In one of his biggest detractors but I don't think he's finished. He's not the only coach with personality flaws. His biggest failings are tactical and that isn't a hurdle that cannot be crossed.
True, but it is the flaws in his personality that will stop him from changing his tactics. He can only thrive within a group where he is the center, where it is his (usually defensive) tactics that must be the cause of a triumph - and not necessarily the skill of his players. This is why he does well with underdog teams (and even Madrid were inferior to that Barca team).

Will he ever change his personality? It is really unlikely. His TV appearances since losing the United job show a man who still thinks he did nothing wrong. His bravado is the surest sign of his insecurity.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Can’t figure it out myself.
When he first came into the scene and was charismatic, young and successful it was somewhat endearing.
Now when he’s shite, old and miserable it’s just sad honestly.

Djemba-Djemba

Can’t figure it out myself.
When he first came into the scene and was charismatic, young and successful it was somewhat endearing.
Now when he’s shite, old and miserable it’s just sad honestly.
Yeah I can see why at first he was appealing to people.

He was charming and charismatic and the amount of trophies he won for the first 7 or 8 years of his career was obscene. An absolute winning machine.

But these last 4 or 5 years he's got nothing. He's toxic and miserable, his football has gotten more and more negative and difficult to stomach, he doesn't win anywhere near as much as he used to and he falls out with everybody he comes into contact with.

I can't think of anything about him to like.

Canagel

its actually both. his personality flaw means he can't deal with current generation of social media footballers and his tactical flaw means he's irrelevant on a footballing level and why he could be outplayed carrying a 400m team by his former players like Nuno and Lampard .

Last edited:

GM K

No team that has and panders to Neymar will ever be a good fit for Jose. PSG is a player's club not a manager's club. We were probably the last manager's club in football and Jose still screwed that up.
Are we a manager's club? That sounds like the days of Sir Alex. I bet you if the lads want Ole out tomorrow, he will be out. But he seems like a really smart guy who understands this and has ezcellent man management skills. That era of 'it's the manager's team' iss gone not just at United but in world football. This reality is what Jose does not get and why he could be finished if he does not evolve.

GM K

Well, life is just like that mate. We are all different and we like different things about people. I like his winning mindset, cockiness, bluntness, and for just being the most hated prick in football management.
Being a United fan and liking Jose can actually be mutually exclusive as contradictory as that might sound.

Canagel

Well, life is just like that mate. We are all different and we like different things about people. I like his winning mindset, cockiness, bluntness, and for just being the most hated prick in football management.
Being a United fan and liking Jose can actually be mutually exclusive as contradictory as that might sound.
how can anyone like that self serving, arrogant, egotistical man is beyond me but each to their own. I never liked him even when he was at Chelsea and boasted about that 1-0 win parking the bus against us or his general disrespect for other managers like poking vilanova in the eye etc.

mu4c_20le

Are we a manager's club? That sounds like the days of Sir Alex. I bet you if the lads want Ole out tomorrow, he will be out. But he seems like a really smart guy who understands this and has ezcellent man management skills. That era of 'it's the manager's team' iss gone not just at United but in world football. This reality is what Jose does not get and why he could be finished if he does not evolve.
You'd lose that bet. We are a business, and the board decides whether or not a manager should be fired based on their objectives, ie mathematically out of top 4.

Djemba-Djemba

So you're a contrarian.

I suppose that explains it then.

GM K

how can anyone like that self serving, arrogant, egotistical man is beyond me but each to their own. I never liked him even when he was at Chelsea and boasted about that 1-0 win parking the bus against us or his general disrespect for other managers like poking vilanova in the eye etc.
:lol:

Okay lads, let's leave this. I know that liking Jose here stirs up bile.

We've got an important cup game today and Jose is somewhere right now blowing his 15 million bucks.

deadrevelz

Not sure you've got the definition of 'mutually exclusive' right there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
True, but it is the flaws in his personality that will stop him from changing his tactics. He can only thrive within a group where he is the center, where it is his (usually defensive) tactics that must be the cause of a triumph - and not necessarily the skill of his players. This is why he does well with underdog teams (and even Madrid were inferior to that Barca team).

Will he ever change his personality? It is really unlikely. His TV appearances since losing the United job show a man who still thinks he did nothing wrong. His bravado is the surest sign of his insecurity.
It's a fair point that his insecurity might prevent him from admitting mistakes and stop him changing. But Mourinho has evolved tactically in the past. His Porto, first Chelsea side and Inter were extremely aggressive and routinely used the high press although they were all still very compact. That's very different from his Madrid and Chelsea side who depended heavily on transitions. His United side was just rubbish. I don't even know what our philosophy was under him. So he's changed in the past, he might do it again.

its actually both. his personality flaw means he can't deal with current generation of social media footballers and his tactical flaw means he's irrelevant on a footballing level and why he could be outplayed carrying a 400m team by his former players like Nuno and Lampard .
I actually think his complaints about social media generation was his a cover for how clueless he was here. He has no regard for the qualities and footballing identity of the players he had and didn't know what to do.

GM K

It's a fair point that his insecurity might prevent him from admitting mistakes and stop him changing. But Mourinho has evolved tactically in the past. His Porto, first Chelsea side and Inter were extremely aggressive and routinely used the high press although they were all still very compact. That's very different from his Madrid and Chelsea side who depended heavily on transitions. His United side was just rubbish. I don't even know what our philosophy was under him. So he's changed in the past, he might do it again.

I actually think his complaints about social media generation was his a cover for how clueless he was here. He has no regard for the qualities and footballing identity of the players he had and didn't know what to do.
On point.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@kouroux Hervé Mathoux about Mourinho:"He visibly thinks that he is Tutankhamun".

Member 115509

I think he said the other day he has turned down 3 or 4 job offers recently. This figure will no doubt increase as he looks to make clubs think he is in demand and make him an offer.
It will be interesting to see where he ends up, no doubt he will land on his feet somewhere quite prestigious.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think he said the other day he has turned down 3 or 4 job offers recently. This figure will no doubt increase as he looks to make clubs think he is in demand and make him an offer.
It will be interesting to see where he ends up, no doubt he will land on his feet somewhere quite prestigious.
One of them was Benfica, I think Napoli might have been another. It's not like he's rejecting Juventus and Bayern. He really hoped real would take him back and obviously that ship has sailed.

United_We_Stand

The only offer he received was from Benfica.
Inter seem to be his only realistic chance now, and I don't think they'll sack Spalletti unless they miss out on top 3. Mou will be cheering on Milan and Roma for the rest of the season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He wasn't that vocal when Chelsea sacked him last time around because he knew his stock was still high and somebody good will offer him a contract.

No big club is gonna touch him now and that's why he is using the press to the maximum.

Godspeed.

Champagne Football

Roma will need a new manager in June. That's the only club who I can see giving him a chance. Inter don't look like they need a new manager.

He never stopped moaning about not getting enough to spend while at Utd, but he sure's hell ain't gonna get £400 million to spend at Roma like he did here.

Last edited:

St Red

KRAP
Watching the way Gray and Keys drool all over him in the beIN studio is nauseating.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Roma will need a new manager in June. That's the only club who I can see giving him a chance. Inter don't look like they need a new manager.

He never stopped moaning about not getting enough to spend while at Utd, but he sure's hell ain't gonna get £400 million to spend at Roma like he did here.
Roma wouldn't suit him at all, a selling club and one that needs a manager to develop the excellent talents they pick up in recent years like Zaniolo, Under and even Salah.

I still think Inter. O.k they might make CL again but I've watched them so often this season and they're really uninspiring and had an awful CL campaign when they blew that big advantage over Spurs.

Spalletti is a decent manager but I get the feeling they'll sack him if they know Mourinho wants the job.

Does Inter have any ambition to actually compete with Juve properly again or are they just content to finish 15-20 points behind them and also a similar number off Napoli.

Mourinho is a bit past it at top level but I think he'd get them closer to Juve over a season and also improve their CL performance.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would like to see him in a club like Marseille, it could work for him in a club like that.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He clearly said he would like to coach PSG one day and win a new league and have the opportunity to win a 3rd Champions League. Not so many options fitting his ambitions at the moment. Atletico Madrid, PSG, Inter and Milan AC could be options in the long run.

Despite his ego, I have a great respect for Mourinho. I just believe he needs to review and enrich his managerial skills.The new generation wants mentors, not chiefs.

I prefer to despise arrogant people who are pure failures who did nothing interesting and valuable in their life.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
He clearly said he would like to coach PSG one day and win a new league and have the opportunity to win a 3rd Champions League. Not so many options fitting his ambitions at the moment. Atletico Madrid, PSG, Inter and Milan AC could be options in the long run.
That will be funny because like they said, Mourinho is becoming everything he once ridiculed

"For me I'm not the smartest guy to choose countries and clubs. I could choose another club in another country where to be champion is easier," said the Portuguese in an apparent reference to Guardiola.

"I was champion at every club I coached. I came to Inter, Real Madrid and Chelsea. Every title is important, to win the title in Spain with 100 points against the best Barcelona ever was a big achievement that I enjoyed so much."

"Maybe in the future I have to be smarter and choose another club in another country where everybody is champion," he added. "Maybe I will go to a country where a kitman can be coach and win the title."

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That will be funny because like they said, Mourinho is becoming everything he once ridiculed

"For me I'm not the smartest guy to choose countries and clubs. I could choose another club in another country where to be champion is easier," said the Portuguese in an apparent reference to Guardiola.

"I was champion at every club I coached. I came to Inter, Real Madrid and Chelsea. Every title is important, to win the title in Spain with 100 points against the best Barcelona ever was a big achievement that I enjoyed so much."

"Maybe in the future I have to be smarter and choose another club in another country where everybody is champion," he added. "Maybe I will go to a country where a kitman can be coach and win the title."
He refused to coach PSG several times and already criticized PSG, the owners for breaching the FFP, and the French league, saying something like "The best coaches want to work in the best leagues", "Unfair competition from PSG/City", "French league boring"...

It seems that money, the acquisition of Neymar/M'bappé and the lack of opportunities have changed his mind.

Despite his comments, I am not against to see him offered a one-year-contract one day!

United Hobbit

If I was him I'd be looking at something like punditry.

However his ego will want to get back into management to show it was Manchester United and the players and the board refusing to allow him his defender that was the problem not him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He refused to coach PSG several times and already criticized PSG, the owners for breaching the FFP, and the French league, saying something like "The best coaches want to work in the best leagues", "Unfair competition from PSG/City", "French league boring"...

It seems that money, the acquisition of Neymar/M'bappé and the lack of opportunities have changed his mind.

Despite his comments, I am not against to see him offered a one-year-contract one day!
Mourinho is an opportunist. He went to Inter who dominated the league with the specific objective of winning the CL. He would definitely take the PSG job if he was promised everything he wanted.